Vinyl

Sam

rk309w.jpg

Welcome to the vinyl thread.

This is the thread to discuss vinyl records, record players and anything else phonographic. Go mad, within reason :razz:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a brand of record player that you'd recommend? Or tips to look for in a used one?

hmmm, i dont have a brand that i can reccomend, since that thing is from the mid-late 1980s and still working :blink:

one thing id reccomend checking from the top of my head is the 33-45 RPM motor, if the record player hasnt been playing for a while, the motor starts to kinda loose traction,and singles (the small 45 RPM records) will change tempo

i will post a vid soon explaining

:thumbup:

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

A good record player can cost anything up to around £10,000 (yes, it's crazy what people will pay), although a decent one can be bought quite cheaply. It's worth investing in a decent cartridge (and speakers, and probably a good phono stage too!) to get the best from your music.

A few good brands I could recommend are;

Pro-Ject

Rega

Michell

Avid

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I recently found this copy of The White Album, cost me $5 and came with all of the bits

I already had a copy but it was missing one of the two posters. The vinyl doesn't play very well on this new one :sad:

whitealbum.jpg

I bought most of these through school from Grade 9 - 12. I was working and didn't really know what to spend my money on..I haven't bought a record for a few years though as a lot of my money goes to textbooks/transport.

[spoiler=Records 1]records2.jpg

[spoiler=Records 2]records1.jpg

[spoiler=Records 3]allrecords.jpg

[spoiler="Others]otherrecords.jpg

I know this isn't really Vinyl, but it's kinda related.

I only took out a few, there's way too many to fit into one pictures, as you can see there's three box's full of the magazines.

Sorry about the sizes/quality, they were all taken with a mobile :unsure:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I have over 200 CDs, and i have a few vinyls - but only use them for display purposes.

I have signed copies of 6 vinyls between my two favourite bands, and i have them framed in my room next to my Tom Delonge signed AVA poster and a limited edition print (3 of 20) of my favourite band Brigade. Anyhow, here's the list.

Brigade -

Magneto

Meet me at my funeral

Guillotine

Reuben -

Moving to Blackwater

Freddy Kreuger

Stuck in my Throat.

Also have a signed version of Monsters, by funeral for a friend - and a few misc ones with artwork that i liked.

All 7"s

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I don't quite understand the new little trend of people (usually young people) now buying vinyl. Is it to be retro or unique or something? Obviously if you're looking at it from an economic standpoint, there are a lot of better options. Older folks might have a case in buying them to feel nostalgic, but teenagers don't.

We have maybe 300 of them kicking around, and 3 record players, one of which is one of those USB ones. We've also got a record cleaner kit, which I think is funny.

Obviously none of them are mine personally, mostly my dad's, and my mom has some too. We've got a couple of duplicates but not many.

One of my favorites is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band because of the art... It's got marijuana leaves on it :P

Also of note are You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish; epic picture on the front. It's hanging up in our basement, along with Moving Pictures (Rush), Jazz (Queen), some Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble album, Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1, Days of Future Passed (The Moody Blues), and a Journey album that I think is Arrival... No, it's Infinity.

Yeh we have too many vinyls.

I don't quite understand the new little trend of people (usually young people) now buying vinyl. Is it to be retro or unique or something? Obviously if you're looking at it from an economic standpoint, there are a lot of better options. Older folks might have a case in buying them to feel nostalgic, but teenagers don't.

It's mostly about the "collection" factor.

Also in some cases (probably less than 1%) vinyl can have better sound quality. Of course you have to have a really good needle/player, and the music had to be recorded analogue originally (which not much is anymore), and the vinyl would have to be pro quality.

EDIT: Also the album art can look pretty cool.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

How much is the "average" cost of a vinyl? I.e the average cost of a cd is like $12

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

How much is the "average" cost of a vinyl? I.e the average cost of a cd is like $12

Depends really. But here it's usually around $25.

I don't quite understand the new little trend of people (usually young people) now buying vinyl. Is it to be retro or unique or something?

Haha maybe. But some bands [artists pfft, whatever] release Vinyls alongside normal CD and single LP releases. Especially with rock/metal and classical. I don't know why, I think some people just enjoy the warmer sound.

Obviously if you're looking at it from an economic standpoint, there are a lot of better options.

From an economic standpoint you don't even need to buy CDs, books, DVDS, or anything. You could just "borrow" it from the internet.

Older folks might have a case in buying them to feel nostalgic, but teenagers don't.

Teenagers might do it aswell. Often Vinyls and covers have really nice artwork or different album covers to the CD. Oh and some people say vinyls have better sound. Either way it's something different, more "physical" feel to vinyls. Lifting the hood of the player, then setting the spacer, then setting the speed, lifting the vinyl onto the plate, dropping the arm [thought it's mostly automatic these days], etc...

Eh' to each their own I guess.

I have about ~50 records.

I really don't have any interest in them, and have no sentimental value attached to them. Is it possible that they're worth anything?

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Vinyl sounds physically better - digital formats like MP3 & AAC use the digital signal which can't fully represent what's been recorded. If you listen to both CD and vinyl you'll notice the difference. Bass will seem to play a bigger role, and drums will seem to be more pronounced.

@Adrenal: Any decent record player will still be manually operated these days. Automatic cueing is just for convenience, and if it's not configured properly can even damage your records.

@Cooldog08: It really depends on what records they are, how clean they are and if the sleeve is in decent condition. A good condition older pressing of a Beatles record can fetch £40-£50.

@istolethepie: I just find older music just better than the vast majority of the modern crap you find today. Nothing like sitting down and listening to a bit of Mark Knopfler or Jimi Hendrix! :P

@Saruman44: It all depends on what you are buying. 180/200g vinyls will more expensive, but if you want quality I'm sure you'd be willing to pay the extra money.

Has anyone got a good record cleaning method? My friend and I use de-ionized water mixed with a bit of ethanol, but I was just curious if there was any better way.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Vinyl sounds physically better - digital formats like MP3 & AAC use the digital signal which can't fully represent what's been recorded. If you listen to both CD and vinyl you'll notice the difference. Bass will seem to play a bigger role, and drums will seem to be more pronounced.

Has anyone got a good record cleaning method? My friend and I use de-ionized water mixed with a bit of ethanol, but I was just curious if there was any better way.

We got this, like, really soft piece of cloth, more like a very small pillow, when the record is spinning, we just hold the clotch slightly pressed onto the vinyl,cleaning it effectivly

also, i just fished out all the beatles records i could fin in the pretty huge stack of records

we have:

The white album

abbey road "color record" (the album cover is printed onto the record :unsure: )

the red album

the blue album

2nv5bvl.png

So, the 1962-65 and the 1965-1969 singles albums? Or do you mean red/blue vinyls?

1962-1966 and 1967-1970

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962%E2%80%931966

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%931970

these two :thumbup:

2nv5bvl.png

Oh, awesome :thumbup:

DO WANT

my father learned to speak and read english by listening to them back when he was younger ;)

and i too,to an extent

i remember triyng to put the needle upon the record when i was like 3 years old

the sound is still hanging in my brain today

i will take some pics tomorrow to show them

2nv5bvl.png

We have a D4+ Discwasher record cleaning kit pretty much like this one and it works great, I dunno what the fluid is actually made of though... But, upon reading reviews, these new cleaners are not like the ones of old (which is definitely the one we have) so maybe don't get this, although I'd definitely look for a similar product.