World Cup 2010 - South Africa!

OldJoe

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was rooting for the Netherlands going into the match but the way they played wasn't good, dirty dirty dirty. Spain deserved to win, they've been the best team in the tournament and have played some awesome football. Not a great final, but a just outcome.

And yeah, go Paul!

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I was rooting for the Netherlands going into the match but the way they played wasn't good, dirty dirty dirty. Spain deserved to win, they've been the best team in the tournament and have played some awesome football. Not a great final, but a just outcome.

And yeah, go Paul!

That pretty much sums up my view of what happened, some of the Dutch fouls were terrible particularly De Jong & Van Bommel's, the Dutch were lucky to have 11 men starting the 2nd half. The better team won and I'm glad that Iniesta scored the winner, he and Xavi are by far the two best centre midfielders in the world. Their passing and movement are beutiful at times and it is testament to how good they are that Fabregas is relegated to the bench when they're both fit - most other teams would build their team around Fabregas.

Also for those doubting Paul the Octopus, he also picked Serbia to beat Germany in an upset so I'd say that proves that it wasn't rigged to show preference to the favourites in the ties. It's just a luck Octopus ;).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Not the best match ever, but the best and most deserving team won. I was neutral at the start, but once it seemed that the Dutch tactic to stop Spain from passing was to kill the Spanish players I went for Spain. The Dutch were lucky to only see one red card having received 8 yellows and you could see Howard Webb really didn't want to send players off but Holland didn't give them much choice.

Anyone who blames the Ref for this result needs a slap, even if it should have been a free kick before Iniesta's goal, the Dutch should have had at least one player sent off before the end of the first half so it's just swings and round-a-bouts :wink:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

If the Dutch are going to be whiny [bleep]es and complain about the ref they need to pull their fingers out. Van Bommel and De Jong were a joke, I don't think I've seen a worse tackle than the latters karate kick.

Sure, he kicked him awesomely in the chest. But the goal was offside, as far as I know. But I was kind of destroying everything after the goal so I stopped watching.

Iniesta was about two metres onside, I think the issue was that a Dutch player was fouled in the build up.

Sure, he kicked him awesomely in the chest. But the goal was offside, as far as I know. But I was kind of destroying everything after the goal so I stopped watching.

Nah he was well onside, they showed it several times over here even with lines and it proved he was well onside.

For those who didn't see, Thomas Muller (Germany) won the Golden Boot and Diego Forlan (Uruguay) won the Golden Ball.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I'm glad Forlan won the Golden Ball, although a few Spainish players deserved it more. Felt bad for Torres as well, pulling up in the last few minutes.

Anyone else see the BBC "District 9" ending? Was brilliant.

keen.png

Iniesta was about two metres onside, I think the issue was that a Dutch player was fouled in the build up.

Too bad Webb didn't see the corner (he was the only one who didn't) on the other side about 30 seconds earlier.

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

Too bad Webb didn't see the corner (he was the only one who didn't) on the other side about 30 seconds earlier.

Blame the refereeing all you want, Spain deserved to win and it isn't like Holland didn't have their chances. I thought Robben would put those chances away, but that's the difference between winning and losing right?

Yea, iniesta posed a threat when the first pass was given, thus it was offside, before the assist was even given.

I'm not gonna lie, holland did deserve some cards, but A LOT of yellow cards were uncalled for as well... All in all, I'm guessing the best team has won, but it's a shame that Howard didn't do his job well.