The death of making money by skilling.

Lugia_Lvl138

I have said it before and will say it again, many skills money making ability went down the drain with the arrival of skill capes. Prior to that the people who wanted to make money off a skill would train the skill to do so, and those that didn't want to wouldn't. But with the skill capes, everybody wants to do the skills for the cape alone making the price of the items the skills produce worthless or lose money. Remove skillcapes and skills such as cooking, fletching, smithing and herblore would eventually be able to make money like they should do.

The RS economy is just different. In real life, raw materials are worth less then finished goods. In RS, its the opposite in many cases, since potential/stored XP is a large factor in item prices. There is nothing wrong with that.

But that was not always the case. The reason potential exp is a factor is because of the Skill capes as I said. If you go back pre-skill cape, raw materials were much more dependant on ease of collecting and how much profit could be made through a production skill. Take for example sharks. When the price of raw sharks rose to the price of cooked sharks, people would stop cooking them forcing the raw price down. Now, simple breaking even or making a low loss keeps the price down for those wanting an easy skill cape.

My point is, why is changing the status quo bad? It's the same way I feel about inflation. The game evolves, changes, and so do prices. Its not always a bad thing.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a bad thing skilling making less money than the dangerous methods, but the amount other methods can make compared is just over the top. When you will have to spend an hour or two skilling with one of the very limited amount of skills which can make money just to break 1m, you can get a drop worth 100m in the same time.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It isn't a bad thing skilling making less money than the dangerous methods, but the amount other methods can make compared is just over the top. When you will have to spend an hour or two skilling with one of the very limited amount of skills which can make money just to break 1m, you can get a drop worth 100m in the same time.

That's a rather pointless comparison. You need to consider drop rates when contrasting consistent moneymakers and ones that rely on rare drops.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

They need high level resources to go along with making new high level gear. From bows which require 95+ woodcutting to cut the log, to new metals which need higher mining and smithing.

One problem is the grand exchange and the trade limit. I remember when I could either cut magic logs and sell for 1400gp each to people or buy for 1k each and sell for 1400 each to others. I could be doing both at the same time. From all of the world like double nats, law running,etc, you could make a lot of money from those, but now you can't.

Of course you can;t really compare skilling to merchanting.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I would agree with that. There do need to be more skilling ways of making great GP/hr.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

I think it's rather appropriate that combat would yield greater profit than skilling. It's a matter of risk versus reward. I think skilling still has its place, though. I plan on RCing to 96 herblore due to my faulty internet connection.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I think it's rather appropriate that combat would yield greater profit than skilling. It's a matter of risk versus reward. I think skilling still has its place, though. I plan on RCing to 96 herblore due to my faulty internet connection.

I would agree pre-gravestones but the risk now days at a majority of bosses risk is minimal. With planning, apart from Godwars and DK's, even somebody soloing can lose nothing by death. It is even safer if other players are friendly enough to bless your grave or you go with a team. The PVP drops also need a lot of tweaking, with a system which has long been suggested by many people of not giving drops over that of the value a person is carrying.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I would agree pre-gravestones but the risk now days at a majority of bosses risk is minimal. With planning, apart from Godwars and DK's, even somebody soloing can lose nothing by death. It is even safer if other players are friendly enough to bless your grave or you go with a team. The PVP drops also need a lot of tweaking, with a system which has long been suggested by many people of not giving drops over that of the value a person is carrying.

Another thing is prayers and curses. They make boss killing so much easier. There should be resource-related prayers

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

Homework while skilling > Homework while Boss Hunting :thumbup:

Not maging rex.

Stonewall337.png

Not maging rex.

Or camping outside of Bandos while your are not noticed inside of someone's clan chat when they get a hilt split then you run in real quick grab your money, tele and get flamed and kicked from clan chat.

I've made most of my 50m net worth with skilling. Now I know that's hardly anything, but it's something. <_<

How long did it takes to achieve this?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

Money making by skilling is not dead, it just hasn't caught up to skilling by combat is all. Combat requires multiple high level skills working in concert with difficulty and high chance. Combine that concept with skills, and you'll reintroduce skill based money making. There's nothing new here, and the idea has been out there over three to four years.

Imagine a spirit bow that requires a spirit seed and you to dig up your spirit tree along with 4 skills 90+ to make spirit bow.

Imagine an obsidian chest plate that requires ore that's a rare "drop" from coal rocks (like 1/500 or more chance) along with 4 other skills that are 98+ to make.

Imagine slayer monsters killed with multiple high level non-combat skills that have unique drops including production ingredients.

Etc, etc, etc. Again, money making by skilling isn't dead. It just hasn't been re-introduced to keep up with combat skills. Give an item that can only be obtained via skills that players want, and make that item difficult and/or rare to make, then you have a high priced item on your hand.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Mhing for 15 minutes and concentrating on hw for 45 minutes = more money and better grades than doing hw and skilling for 1 hour.

Give an item that can only be obtained via skills that players want, and make that item difficult and/or rare to make, then you have a high priced item on your hand.

Then kids would complain like they did about overloads or how they need to get skills to make it which will ultimately result in lower requirements and cheaper prices.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

Give an item that can only be obtained via skills that players want, and make that item difficult and/or rare to make, then you have a high priced item on your hand.

Then kids would complain like they did about overloads or how they need to get skills to make it which will ultimately result in lower requirements and cheaper prices.

Only if the end product was not tradeable. Then again, if it's untradeable, how would you make money anyway? Granted, the complaint about overloads were as pointless as complaining about the dozens (if not hundreds) of other items that require a minimum amount of non-combat skills to obtain. Besides that and back on point, there needs to be more skill made items requiring more than just a single skill to make.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Like 1m R2Hs in RSC. And Overloads still require 96 Herblore.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

Hold up yo.

The main issue people had with overloads (or at least the one Jagex decided to go with) is that they affected PvP combat despite being a noncombat skill, and since they were untradeble it basically became like a combat skill because you would need to have the skill in order to use the potions.

As long as they avoid that huge landmine things will be just dandy.

I mean nobody complained about the Inferno Adze to the same degree.

8f14270694.jpg

The thing is, that most suggestions in RSOF are 1-hit-KO weapons, or something that hit higher than most things available now, being cheaper and/or easier to get (noone thinks that the point of hard-hitting weapons is that they are hard to get) and Jagex thinks combat IS the thing everyone wants to do. Also they know people want new and challenging bosses and so they release new ones with new shiny and expensive rewards which is not wrong by any means and should be that way, but they should also up skilling rewards. If you'd think about it, how many skilling-based updates can you bring up in a few past years that you can make money with compared to combat/boss moneymaking ways?

Combat/bosses:

Corporeal beast- divine, elysian, arcane sigils, holy elixir

Tormented wraith- holy elixir

GWD- godswords, bandos/armadyl armor, saradomin sword, zamorak spear, steam staff, dragon boots

Tormented demons- dragon claws, dragon platebody pieces

Mithril dragons- dragon full helmets

Chaos dwarf hand cannoneers/chaos dwogres/chaos dwarves- handcannons, dragon pickaxes

Strykewyrms- Staff of Light, hexcrest, focus sight

PVP- Do we have to talk about this?

Skills:

Impling revamp- Kingly implings, also others, but they are not as popular

Double chance of runes while runecrafting- Death, blood, law runes X2

Chance of getting extra runes while runecrafting- Very- very small boost

Agility boost to fishing and thieving (also hunter but noone sells butterflies)- Chance of getting double fish/loot

Living rock caverns- Rocktail fish (imo biggest impact), concentrated gold/coal

I think it's all from the release of GWD in late 2007 (not in that order tho), feel free to add if you think there are some I missed, I skipped some skill updates as they did not give any advantage in money-making like woodcutting revamp and extreme potions being added.

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

Well you missed Visages, and the release of Dark Bows. And although the Extreme pot update doesn't make money with Herblore itself, it was one of my favorite recent updates. It FINALLY gave high Herblore(I was 89 at the update) a use and did help with PVM moneymaking. That is why I went from casually leveling as I grew the Herbs to spending 80m+ powerleveling to get Overloads. And it was worth every penny.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

For those who do have enough spare time and no other distractions, this is true. They are better off hunting bosses, where they will make more cash per hour than they would while skilling (on average).

This is not the case for people like me. It is hard to focus completely on RS (lots of other things happening) and I can be called away any moment. Surviving any boss while afk for a few minutes is pretty much impossible, and thats why I choose to not go there at all. Yes I could join a mass, but I don't want to be that leecher who has to leave every few minutes do some some stuff other than RS. So no, making money by skilling is not obsolete for me, it's pretty much the only way I make my money (and spend it..).

(ps. Yes I do slayer, but I'm not that lucky when it comes to drops, and they money gain is not the same compared to major bosses like GWD, CB or TDS)

qnn23r.jpg

angel2w.gifmaursangeli.gifCredits to Littleboy for the signature.

one of the problems with a skilling moneymaker is that it is too easy to get high skills so if high skills alone even multiple 99 skills too many people will be able to do it however with combat high skills just doesnt cut it you have to pay attention

i made all my money for all 99s runecrafting and it took around 3 weeks to get lvl 99 herblore someone else could do arma 3 weeks and get waaaaaaaaay more than 167m i needed for herblore however they also couldnt and have a big drystreak.

slayer is the only "skill" that makes some big bucks paid 2k points to unlock strykewyverns and got 2 staffs off light in 2 slayer task which was like 20m thats better than rcing

i camped iron dragons to train magic and got a visage 37million cash in one go..

and u can get an abby task get a whip thats 4m right thier

soloin bandos i got a chest my 19th kill and it was 13m at the time but another friend solo bands a week get nothing lol.

boss hunting u have to focus 100% of the time tho thats why it is so much better than skills for money.

Maybe if rocktail had a 1/1000 chance of giving u a "summonS" to fight the rocktail boss that gave a 100% drop of a valuable item or something.

Maybe the dungeoneering surface dungeons can have some skilling involved for high rewards outside of rs.

skills arre obselete yes if u want best money its best to merch/monster hunt but if you want something garanteed but willing to wait for your money skilling is a ok option.

StarViv.png

Well you missed Visages,

Seeing this made me think, a bit left field...

Obviously this would never happen but what about if jagex did this:

The gathering skills, whilst gathering the higher things, rocktails, addy/rune rocks, yew/magic trees (wc) etc, if you had chance, much like the visage maybe a touch more common but overall a ranked boss style as a "very rare drop" , of getting something like a god ore/god tree/god fish (lol on the last one....) which would be equally powerfull/surpass the GWD equipment.

Then with the secondary skills, 95+ could mean you could fletch the god bow (2 god logs to make?), god armour (1/3/5 of the rare ores?), god sword (3/5 rare ores) (not the type we have atm but im just sticking with the theme, so something better)..

All of these rare things therefore give value to skilling, would be tradeable, in resource/finnished form.

That in a way gives skilling its "rare" reward?

Again just an idea and I have been rather lazy on the names, obviously it wouldnt be called ""god" but i just went for a theme. But if they were rare enough yet achievable, overnight gives boss hunting values to skilling?

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

Well you missed Visages,

Seeing this made me think, a bit left field...

Obviously this would never happen but what about if jagex did this:

The gathering skills, whilst gathering the higher things, rocktails, addy/rune rocks, yew/magic trees (wc) etc, if you had chance, much like the visage maybe a touch more common but overall a ranked boss style as a "very rare drop" , of getting something like a god ore/god tree/god fish (lol on the last one....) which would be equally powerfull/surpass the GWD equipment.

Then with the secondary skills, 95+ could mean you could fletch the god bow (2 god logs to make?), god armour (1/3/5 of the rare ores?), god sword (3/5 rare ores) (not the type we have atm but im just sticking with the theme, so something better)..

All of these rare things therefore give value to skilling, would be tradeable, in resource/finnished form.

That in a way gives skilling its "rare" reward?

Again just an idea and I have been rather lazy on the names, obviously it wouldnt be called ""god" but i just went for a theme. But if they were rare enough yet achievable, overnight gives boss hunting values to skilling?

thats a good idea, but jagex would probably be like you have birds nests and caskets@@@@@

also we dont need more higher powered weapons, I'd rather we got something related to skilling. (axe better then dragon, special fishing equipment, etc)

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png