Ultima's Top 20 Games you Should Own.

Orpheus

I'm next on the chopping block, so let's get this ball rolling. These are games I'd personally recommend to anyone.

1. Deus Ex

Release Date: 2000, Platform: PC, MAC

Deus_Ex_1.jpg

I'm of the opinion that Deus Ex is probably the best game ever. It blends the RPG and FPS genre perfectly. Add a deep and compelling storyline, and you have a brilliant game. I'm going to admit, I did have a difficult time getting into it at first, and the story does start fairly slow, but once it gets going, it doesn't stop until the end. Graphically, it's a bit dated, but it works. The RPG elements complement the game almost perfectly, using upgrades to augment your abilities, like your aim, nightvision, etc. Stats are also allocated so you can wield heavier firepower more effectively, have better aim with weapons, etc. There is a lot of cyberpunk elements to the game, such as bionic implants, which adds to the theme of the game. Add the fact that there's a ton of mods for this game out, adding entirely new storylines, and you have a winner. It does have it's issues, like the shaky (at times) A.I., but that's minor. The storyline is fairly subdued, but it's better that way. This game has more spirit to it than a lot of games released recently, and that's saying something.

2. Age of Empires II: The Conquerers expansion

Release Date: 2000, Platform: PC, MAC, PS2

2.jpg

I honestly can't say for sure how much I played this game back in the day, lol. The game's fairly simple, but can become very interesting as the game goes on. The concept's fairly simple, to basically eliminate the other kingdoms off the map. I honestly remember how back in the day I used to make alliances with others so we could mass-produce gold for our armies, and then I would go hostile on them and eliminate their entire army with massive numbers. There's not too much to say about it, other than that this game is awesome, even now. And a cardboard box with electricity could even run it now.

3. Half-life 2

Release Date: 2004, Platform: PC, MAC, X360, PS3, XBOX

half-life-2-episode-one.jpg

Ah, yes, Half-life 2. I'll honestly say that I played HL2 before HL1, which is why I might be using HL2 over HL1 here. The series as a whole is nothing short of brilliant though. Valve decided to not use cutscenes, instead opting to have everything play out from your point of view, as though you yourself was there at the time, putting the player into the game almost. There is a ton of speculation to the storyline though, and how each character fits into the grand scheme of things. I, too, have had some long chats about who the G-man is, what his motives are, whether he is really just a representative of something larger, etc.

The game's storytelling is brilliant either way. Both HL1&2 are almost perfect. It could be seen from the outside as a simple FPS, where you kill things and advance to the next level, but I see that as part of the charm almost. Both games also use a puzzle element to it, where using the ingame physics played a large part of solving puzzles, especially in HL2 and the Episodes afterward. I remember a puzzle where you had to break a rope so a giant bar would fly into a canal door, breaking it open so you could proceed. HL2 also introduced to us the Gravity Gun, which lets you use physics and objects as a weapon, and eventually letting you shoot people with it.

Episodes 1 and 2 add onto the storyline, and add many more things to the game, alongside improving gameplay mechanics. All we need now is Episode 3 and we'd be golden, but with all the fat jokes of Gabe Newell, I'd be surprised if my grandkid's grandkids get to play it lmao.

4. Persona 4

Release Date: 2008, Platform: PS2

p4ingame.jpg

I'll say that Persona 4 is probably the last good game to come out on the PS2. Saying much of the storyline will probably spoil a lot of it, but the story is very interesting either way. Basically, people are ending up inside a TV world, and you have to save them before they get killed on a foggy day. Sure, you can fight the whole time and rescue people, but that's just half of the game. The other half revolves around a mechanic called Social Links, which evolve based on how you react to people around town. These links are then used to improve your Personas, or other selves you summon to assist in battle. Going far with these links can unlock entirely new persona fusions, items, or even some hidden bosses. The game has a lot of spirit either way, and it's definitely worth finding if you can.

Another thing to note is that it's released by Atlus, who are known for releasing games that are hard. Shin Megami Tensei games are no exception to this, and this game WILL give you a cheap game over every now and then, just to keep you on your toes. The Personas you can summon draw from almost every religion, mythology, and story imaginable almost. I remember my first playthrough taking something like 90 hours lol.

5. Team Fortress 2

Release Date: 2007, Platform: PC, MAC, X360, PS3[

team-fortress-2.jpg

Team Fortress 2 is awesome. There is no denying this. TF2 is basically an updated mod that started with Quake, then HL1, and now is on the Source engine, with over 120 free updates under it's belt. It's still the best multiplayer FPS currently out at the moment. Even at pub-level play it's still a lot of fun. And you need teamwork or you won't get far in this game lol. The game is also pretty complex, even at the pub level.

6. Duke Nukem 3D

Release Date: 1996, Platform: Way too many to count, although it was first released for PC

9-771_2.png

This game is hilarious, even to play now. Duke Nukem is awesome, even if a ton of his lines are cheesy and from other movies. It's a shame there's no politically incorrect heroes out like Duke nowadays, he was awesome back in the day. The game still had a lot of awesome weapons, like the shrinker. Imagine running into some huge enemy, shrinking them, and then squashing them with your boot. :D

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Release Date: 1998, Platform: N64, Wii (Virtual Console)

0.jpg

I'll be honest, I grew up with this game. I remember getting this game when I was 6, and playing it through over a few days. It's relatively simple even now, and it's a fairly simple platformer and adventure game. There are quite a few interesting moments in the game, like the Gerudo Fortress. Also, the Water Temple can go rot in a ditch XD.

8. Demon's Souls

Release Date: 2009, Platform: PS3

Demons_Souls-difficult.jpg

I'll say this right now, this is not an easy game at all. While most games pamper you nowadays, this game doesn't care if you save the princess, die, or anything. This game is meant to make you cry tears of anguish or frustration. Hell, even one of the localization team members said they get off on your tears from this game.

The beauty behind this game is that it's very belittling for an RPG. You aren't some super-powerful dude who can kick everyone's ass with ease. This game starts you off as being very small and weak. Enemies will have no trouble killing you in a few hits. Eventually, you will learn how to play the game - by losing over and over again. Beating this game definitely nets you some serious bragging rights. There's even an interesting multiplayer aspect that adds to the experience. This game will suck you in, the atmosphere is that great. The music fits pefectly too. Not to mention the bosses in this game are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjyOeupiv4

This is one of the bosses. He's scary not because of the big sword and the fact he's taller than you, it's the fact he can swing it very fast. This game does have a few minor gripes, like the targeting system not working correctly, ragdolls getting stuck on you, or the fps drops, but those are very minor here.

9. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Release Date: 2006, Platform: PS2

metal-gear-solid-3-subsistence-20060309112534540.jpg

MGS3 is probably the best game in the series. It introduces a neat setting, and follows the storyline before Metal Gear and MGS1+2. The storyline is actually simple to understand, as opposed to MGS1+2, which can get very convoluted at times. This game also had the best boss fight ever with an old dude named The End. I remember fighting the dude for an hour before finally killing him. The controls are also pretty solid, and this game is one I play again every now and then. Subsistence added a lot of new features to the series, like a moveable camera, and a few extra games, alongside a ton of extra missions.

10. Goldeneye 007

Release Date: 1997, Platform: N64

goldeneye-5.jpg

I don't have too much to say of this game, other than it was the first console FPS I ever played, and I can remember the shenanigans of the splitscreen multiplayer. I am pretty guilty of putting proximity mines on spawnpoints, playing as that short bastard Oddjob, and using the Rocket Launcher at point blank. This game is probably the best movie-to-game adaptation every by the way.

11. Trine

Release Date: 2009, Platform: PC, PS3

trine.jpg

Trine, as Nadril said, is as fantasy as fantasy gets. Three unlikely heroes go to save the world or something like that. It has a very neat puzzle element to it, and has some of the best atmospheric music in a game I've played recently. Also, it looks beautiful, it's very good graphically. There's a lot of charm in this game, and Atlus is actually going to be localizing Trine 2 soon, so keep an eye out for that.

12. Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Release Date: 2005, Platform: XBOX, GC, PS2

timesplitters-future-perfect-20050217021823062_640w.jpg

I'm going to admit, this game is over-the-top and awesome. The single-player is simple enough, save the world by traveling through time. The true beauty of this game lies in it's multiplayer. There are something like 18 stages, 600 different characters, and a ton of weapons to choose from. There's also a mapmaking function where you can create your own maps. As for the characters, their type and size affects what weapons work against them, like mechanical characters would die instantly to the railgun while resisting normal bullets, monkeys being small and fast, while not being able to use heavier weapons, etc. If Timesplitters 4 ever comes around, give it a try.

13. Portal

Release Date: 2007, Platform: X360, PS3, PC, MAC

20081017_portalyo.jpg

Portal is pretty close to perfect. Released in 2007 with the Orange Box, it introduced the gameplay mechanic of using portals to move around. This game is filled with a lot of pitch-black humor, and is just that good to the very end. It's pretty short, but I think the length is perfect for this game.

14. Chrono Trigger

Release Date: 1995, Platform: SNES, DS

chrono-trigger-11.jpg?w=480&h=320

I have too many memories from this game when I played it when it came out. I was three and couldn't get too far, but I came back to it a few years later and enjoyed the whole game. The art behind this game is pretty similar to that of Dragon BallZ, but that's probably because it's the same artist behind it. It's still a lot of fun, and the time travelling element is pulled off almost perfectly. It's something you'd have to play to get. The concept of combo attacks also was interesting, like how Robo and Crono could pull off a spin attack combo. This game is still more emotional than a lot of RPGs as of late.

15. Dragon Age: Origins

Release Date: 2009, Platform: PC, X360, PS3

dragon-age-origins-dao_12.jpg

Bioware is awesome at making RPGs with lots of choice to it. I couldn't quite get into the DnD-based RPGs like Baldur's Gate for whatever reason, which is a shame unfortunately. This game plays very similarly to those games if that's your forte, or you can play with a more low-to-the-ground viewpoint similar to an MMO if that's your thing. This game let you tackle the storyline segments in almost any order you wanted. It also was fairly challenging and had quite a few interesting fights. It's definitely not a bad game, and is worth a try if you want something challenging.

16. Final Fantasy VI

Release Date: 1994, Platform: GBA, SNES

final-fantasy-6.jpg

I didn't quite play this game until close to recently, and I can say it's a well-designed game. I personally think it's either this or FFIX as the best games in the series. VI had the best villian ever in Kefka, who is just awesome for his own reasons. He'll poison an entire village just because he can. The amount of antics in this game is nothing short of awesome though. Granted it was a very easy game, but the storyline and the characters were all memorable.

17. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Release Date: 1997, Platform: PSX

symphony-of-the-night-1.jpg

I think it was this game that popularized the metroidvania genre. The dudes who made Castlevania needed to make the game work a bit differently, and took a risk with the style of play this game presented, and it worked extremely well. Granted this game was really easy and had quite a few broken weapon combos (Alucard Shield + Shield Rod attack), but it was definitely neat, and had one of the most unique twists to a game I've ever seen even now.

This is also the most epic dialogue in a PSX game, even if the voice acting is so bad it's good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZTIzF0jWQ&feature=related

18. Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction

Release Date: 2001, Platform: PC, MAC

diablo2.jpg

Hah, I think everyone's played this lol. I still come back to this game every now and then, like some kind of addiction almost. It's still interesting to play online if people can work with you and you avoid the bots. Hardcore is still very risky and interesting because you have to work together or risk a quick and permanent death, and is definitely one of the most intense experiences if you work with allies.

19. Resident Evil 2

Release Date: 1998, Platform, PSX, PC, GC, N64, DC

resident_evil_21.jpg

Resident Evil is an awesome series about zombies. Resident Evil 1 was a bit too puzzle-based, while Resident Evil 3 was a bit too action-based. Resident Evil 2 has that perfect middle ground with an almost equal amount of action and puzzles. Even when I played it a year ago, there were still moments that scared the hell out of me, like arms breaking through boarded up windows in a hallway unexpectedly. Also due to the release time, it had cheesy voice acting, but it was definitely an interesting game I've sunk many hours into.

20. Banjo-Kazooie

Release Date: 1998, Platform: N64

banjo_kazooie_screenshot_17.jpg

I grew up with this game also. It was definitely an interesting platformer at the time, wtih large, open worlds, and a lot of easter eggs and things to collect. I don't think I've ever sunk so much time into a platformer trying to get 100% lol. It features a jolly bear in yellow shorts named Banjo and his grumpy bird named Kazooie, trying to save Banjo's sister from the evil witch who's trying to steal her beauty. Banjo-Tooie came out a while later and added even more things to do.

--

These are games I've played for a long while, and I think almost everyone should play if they get the chance.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Woo. A list where I can actually know some of the games on it, and remember the ol' days. That Demon's Souls sounds like a good game, methinks.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Good list man. Actually kind of interesting how many games overlapped for us here.

As far as Deus Ex goes I might give it another go. I really need to play it through because everything seems just nothing short of brilliant for it. Also Duke 3D was a good choice, I actually probably should have included it or Duke Nukem II on my list.

`Hmm..good game selection!

i know almost all of the games you list, also,timesplitters is made by the same team as goldeneyes,so i think that the reason people like timesplitters multiplayer soo much :D

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

age of empire and golden eye are ftw

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Ah TimeSplitters, what a joke that game used to be. :D Also, the MGS you have on there - is it the one with Snake & Raiden with 2 seperate storylines, tanker and the plant? Or am I thinking of MGS2? If it's MGS2 I don't remember what MGS3 was. :unsure:

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Ah TimeSplitters, what a joke that game used to be. :D Also, the MGS you have on there - is it the one with Snake & Raiden with 2 seperate storylines, tanker and the plant? Or am I thinking of MGS2? If it's MGS2 I don't remember what MGS3 was. :unsure:

I never played subsistence, but MGS3 snake eater didn't feature raiden, or even snake. It followed the events of big boss, which was cloned later on into solid snake, liquid snake and solidous snake.

MGS2 is the one with raiden doing naked cartwheels.

I never played subsistence, but MGS3 snake eater didn't feature raiden, or even snake. It followed the events of big boss, which was cloned later on into solid snake, liquid snake and solidous snake.

MGS2 is the one with raiden doing naked cartwheels.

I've played through all the games, but are you sure Solidus was a clone? I thought he was more of an imitator. Because Big Boss even said that Eva birthed Snake and Liquid after they were done messing with his sperm and the DNA of the babies. I don't remember Solidus being mentioned as a clone.

And MGS2 would be the one that made no sense for a variety of reasons and you battled small Metal Gears in a large Metal Gears anus. Riveting stuff.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Yeah, i'm not sure about anything from the MGS2 plot, it hurled my brain to a rollercoaster after getting it drunk. It made no sense at all imo.

But from what i got i was under the impression sollidus is a clone

Yeah, i'm not sure about anything from the MGS2 plot, it hurled my brain to a rollercoaster after getting it drunk. It made no sense at all imo.

That's because he is a clone :^_^:

priest_wiz.png

So he is a clone, but not a clone from big boss? :unsure:

But he didn't come out of Eva. That was explained by Eva I believe in 4. Solid and Liquid Snake were both birthed by her like regular babies, though they were still clones. Solidus I have no clue about. The whole plot hurt my brain.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I thought that they made Solidus later after they made Solid/Liquid Snake so hes a clone of a clone. My feelings on MGS are mixed, I got the first 3 games cheap off Ebay to play before MGS4 came out because it was so hyped up, I enjoyed the storylines but it got too crazy really after MGS2, the controls are pretty terrible in the first 3 games, kind of forgiveable in MGS1 but when you have to press 3 buttons at once to shoot and have to use the left analog stick theres something wrong. Also the camera was terrible, if this MGS3 Subsistence has a camera that you can control it must be a ton better. MGS4 is the only game that I thought was enjoyable for the gameplay rather than just the characters.

Agree with AoE2, I wouldn't put it 2nd but its definately near the top.

And a cardboard box with electricity could even run it now.
Lol true, but ironically because its so old I'm having issues getting it to work on my Windows 7 laptop due to compatibility problems. Demons Souls I see came up again, it interests me but I can't justify getting it because I need to play through the games I've got now again.

But Resident Evil 2 above Resident Evil 4?

But Resident Evil 2 above Resident Evil 4?

Both are good in their own way, and I'd probably put 4 on there also, but I personally enjoyed 2 a bit more is all. Subsistence did add the controllable camera, and the controls were actually usable.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

So he is a clone, but not a clone from big boss? :unsure:

He is a clone from Big Boss.

While there was something about Liquid Snake getting recessive and Solid Snake getting dominant genes, Solidus was made after them and got everything. He is actually the most identical clone of Big Boss.

priest_wiz.png

I liked AoE II, but wouldn't think it deserved second place. That said, I have no major gripes with anything else on there. Of course Half Life is going to get a spot, because it is simply a brilliant series, and I was glas to see Goldeneye on there, as well as Banjo Kazooie.

I honestly think I prefer the newer Castlevania games to the old ones though.

2Xeo5.png

I liked AoE II, but wouldn't think it deserved second place. That said, I have no major gripes with anything else on there. Of course Half Life is going to get a spot, because it is simply a brilliant series, and I was glas to see Goldeneye on there, as well as Banjo Kazooie.

I honestly think I prefer the newer Castlevania games to the old ones though.

To be fair, I didn't quite order them as well as I planned, but it's still a list of games I'd recommend to (almost) anyone.