Tip.It Times - 18th July 2010

Racheya

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think this game has no purpose or direction through questing.

You probably mean for you this game has no purpose of direction through questing.

Nope, the game has no clear cohesive storyline, the stories often add next to nothing to effect gameplay or the world . Storylines that might be important, stay open for so dang long any possible interest in them dwindles. Quests are no more important than skilling, no more less important, both are an equal time waste that are no more correct than the other. The skills vs quests debate is trite and rather pointless.

I fail to see how people swear by quests being so great and entertaining moreso than watching paint dry or ceiling fan blades spinning, I can count the quests i've enjoyed on two hands, and considering the amount of quests, thats sad.

I prefer PVP over skilling or questing, but the fact is, questing is nothing more than a slightly more complicated (depending on the quest) distraction and diversion.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

We are talking about OPINIONS... Not Accurate reviewing <_<

LIGHTsfan.png

signature.png

Rach's the Bern to my Lambda, Req's the Erika to Rach's Bern. It works.

I've been strongly deceived about nearly every single quest review out there, so yeah maybe it is time someone who knows what he's talking about makes an actual accurate review on questing, especially on some fan website where it can have at least some impact on the communnity and maybe encourage people to stop bashing on questing like you do.

URK OH MY GOD

Racheya was not giving a review on questing. She was giving HER opinion, read: HER OWN PERSONAL VIEWPOINT. NOT YOURS. Clearly the fact that it is her own point of view of course it would be biased to the opposite side, which in this case is your own.

And Racheya did NOT bash questing. She simply gave, as I and about every single person who has replied to you has said, HER OWN OPINION.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND: PERSONAL. OPINION.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

Fine, give me instructions on how to join the gues writing stuff, give me a topic and I'll gladly write any article if you really want to put me to test. I've been strongly deceived about nearly every single quest review out there, so yeah maybe it is time someone who knows what he's talking about makes an actual accurate review on questing, especially on some fan website where it can have at least some impact on the communnity and maybe encourage people to stop bashing on questing like you do.

All you need to do is write an article, 600+ words, then PM it to me and it'll be added to our list of guest articles to be published. You'd have to come up with your own topic, though.

And like it's already been said, it wasn't a review of questing, it was an opinion. And, if people WANT to bash on questing, they're free to.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

You probably mean for you this game has no purpose of direction through questing.

Nope, the game has no clear cohesive storyline, the stories often add next to nothing to effect gameplay or the world . Storylines that might be important, stay open for so dang long any possible interest in them dwindles. Quests are no more important than skilling, no more less important, both are an equal time waste that are no more correct than the other. The skills vs quests debate is trite and rather pointless.

I fail to see how people swear by quests being so great and entertaining moreso than watching paint dry or ceiling fan blades spinning, I can count the quests i've enjoyed on two hands, and considering the amount of quests, thats sad.

I prefer PVP over skilling or questing, but the fact is, questing is nothing more than a slightly more complicated (depending on the quest) distraction and diversion.

I disagree.

I'm not really what one would define a "Runescape player" anymore, but I can tell you quests were one of the parts of this game I enjoyed more, if not most. Your point of storylines never ending, as this game cannot be "finished", may be correct, but it doesn't take away the enjoyment of feeling you are the one cooking for the Duke, killing the demon, or just generally saving the day. Even quests like "One Small Favor" I enjoyed, in enticipation of what will happen next.

In addition, storylines being carried over for too long, doesn't devalue quests per se. It sure is annoying and at times even ridiculous, but that doesn't make any specific quest less of a "quest".

Although, in a way, I can understand people's dislike for quests. It really can get irritating to go around, clicking and reading, for those who don't enjoy it and only do it for the rewards.

Just my two cents.

One thing which many people seem to have forgotten in the course of this "discussion" is the fact that people are inherently different. We were all designed to think differently, to act differently, and to enjoy different things. Jagex, being aware of this fact, have created a game which offers a plethora of distinct, different activities to do which appeal to different people.

However, when you get past all of the different names, graphics, and gameplay, the real reason people continue to play RuneScape, or any game for that matter, is the feeling of achievement that they get when they complete a pre-set goal. For some people, this might be solving a particularly challenging clue scroll, even if they only recieve 5 firelighters and 146 gp. For another person, the fireworks above their head signifying their advance to a higher level in a skill is an intensely rewarding feeling. And again, some people like it when the game will not allow them to deposit even 1 more coin into their bank account. Even for those of us who enjoy sitting around and chatting with our friends, there is an achievement in the fact that people will take time away from their real lives and willingly associate with you!

Is this not why we all play? Is this not the force which drives our efforts, whether great or small, in both RuneScape and our real lives? The points of argumentation between whether or not is worthwhile to do quests, or train skills, or do whatever are moot, in that we are all striving for one goal, and one goal only: the feeling of accomplishment and achievement for doing something we could never do before.

But that's just my two cents...

"The things we wish for, they bind us. The things we need, they control us. But the things we make of our self, those things define us"

Badboy000345.png

Proud Quest Cape owner since July 18, 2010

From the literalist's point of view, quests are only there to make upper level content harder to get. Like Das said, they (that is, in the past) have never affected the storyline of RuneScape. They serve the purpose of unlocking content. Think if they had released all that content without quests. It would be rather boring.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

You mention questing and skilling as being equal, then treat PVP separately saying that you like it. Do you mean to imply PVP is more useful? Because, no points of view involved here, skills are necessary to unlock quests and new items, quests are needed to unlock some skills and also new items, but nothing in game is commited to PVP. I have never PKed in game and yet I have a Quest Cape along with skill total level of 1780. While I agree the three main reasons to play Runescape are skills, quests and PVP, each being able to deliver as much fun to the player, from a neutral point of view we could agree PVPing is the less important activity among the three.

Fine, give me instructions on how to join the gues writing stuff, give me a topic and I'll gladly write any article if you really want to put me to test. I've been strongly deceived about nearly every single quest review out there, so yeah maybe it is time someone who knows what he's talking about makes an actual accurate review on questing, especially on some fan website where it can have at least some impact on the communnity and maybe encourage people to stop bashing on questing like you do.

All you need to do is write an article, 600+ words, then PM it to me and it'll be added to our list of guest articles to be published. You'd have to come up with your own topic, though.

And like it's already been said, it wasn't a review of questing, it was an opinion. And, if people WANT to bash on questing, they're free to.

Whatever your favourite activity in game is, if someone comes and bashes on it you won't be happy about it. Go tell a PVPer that PVP is nonsense, that its useless, pointless, etc etc, how do you think he will react? Go tell a skiller than skill pures are a total waste of time and that they would be better of spending their time on a job than on skills, what do you think their reacting will be? Of course we have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean you can leave respect for others out.

I'll write the topic, it will be probably over 600 words, and I hope you're not just fooling me into wasting my time. I'll be doing Love Story tomorrow so I'll be reviewing that quest already (but not for you or for tip it), I'll get the one we're talking about done after tomorrow or so.

signaturemw.png

You mention questing and skilling as being equal, then treat PVP separately saying that you like it. Do you mean to imply PVP is more useful? Because, no points of view involved here, skills are necessary to unlock quests and new items, quests are needed to unlock some skills and also new items, but nothing in game is commited to PVP. I have never PKed in game and yet I have a Quest Cape along with skill total level of 1780. While I agree the three main reasons to play Runescape are skills, quests and PVP, each being able to deliver as much fun to the player, from a neutral point of view we could agree PVPing is the less important activity among the three.

Whatever your favourite activity in game is, if someone comes and bashes on it you won't be happy about it. Go tell a PVPer that PVP is nonsense, that its useless, pointless, etc etc, how do you think he will react? Go tell a skiller than skill pures are a total waste of time and that they would be better of spending their time on a job than on skills, what do you think their reacting will be? Of course we have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean you can leave respect for others out.

I'll write the topic, it will be probably over 600 words, and I hope you're not just fooling me into wasting my time. I'll be doing Love Story tomorrow so I'll be reviewing that quest already (but not for you or for tip it), I'll get the one we're talking about done after tomorrow or so.

As lots of people have pointed out, the article was not singling out questers or saying that questing is useless or pointless. In fact, Racheya even acknowledged that quests are useful but she was just saying she doesn't enjoy them. I love questing but you don't see me having a go at people just because they don't like it. I can't stand mining, if I told that to a 99 Miner I doubt they'd take the trouble to be offended because I like a different part of the game to them.

I'm sorry but: Derp Derp Derp.

SHE IS NOT BASHING QUESTS. SHE IS GIVING HER OPINION ON THE SUBJECT. NOWHERE DID SHE SAY THEY WERE A WASTE OF TIME, THAT THEY WERE NONSENSE, THAT THEY WERE A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME ETC ETC.

How many times must a person be told. This is Racheya's opinion. O-P-I-N-I-O-N.

And no I'm not going to go as far as to post a pathetic video to explain it.

And for the record: No one gives a [orange wedge] that your going to write a review about Love Story.

*grooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooans* I don't think he'll ever give up and understand... <_<

LIGHTsfan.png

signature.png

Rach's the Bern to my Lambda, Req's the Erika to Rach's Bern. It works.

SHE IS NOT BASHING QUESTS. SHE IS GIVING HER OPINION ON THE SUBJECT. NOWHERE DID SHE SAY THEY WERE A WASTE OF TIME, THAT THEY WERE NONSENSE, THAT THEY WERE A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME ETC ETC.

And for the record: No one gives a [orange wedge] that your going to write a review about Love Story.

Haven't you noticed that I haven't given a [orange wedge] about any of your posts either?... You really are wasting your time you know, I'm already giving you more attention that I actually have by letting you know that I have no intentions to talk with someone who spams "derp" and WRITEZ IN LEET CAPS LUL! :mellow:

First and last time I reply to you.

As lots of people have pointed out, the article was not singling out questers or saying that questing is useless or pointless. In fact, Racheya even acknowledged that quests are useful but she was just saying she doesn't enjoy them. I love questing but you don't see me having a go at people just because they don't like it. I can't stand mining, if I told that to a 99 Miner I doubt they'd take the trouble to be offended because I like a different part of the game to them.

She didn't only claim it was her opinion, she treated "quest phobia" as something universal in the end, I think it's you who should read again. Do I need to go and get quotes for you or can you find it yourself?

Anyway, if you don't believe me.. why don't you go and put down skilling in front of some skillers right now in game? Go ahead and do that, you can even invite me to come so I witness it myself. Then when you get some reactions you can tell me if I'm right or if I'm wrong.

signaturemw.png

i said I like pvp, I never in no way insinuated it was better. At the core of it, you still have a java game, that does nothing for you in real life, but waste time, which is fine, some people have more time to waste. I've lead clans, i've skilled, and i've done quests, and think it's sheer stupidity to say one of these is better than the other. It's a game that will never have an ending, no two people will play it the same, people will feel how they want to feel, life goes on.

I have never PKed in game and yet I have a Quest Cape along with skill total level of 1780

Thats nice, I've owned the quest cape since it's inception aside from when i'm too lazy to care to own it - again - a smattering of skill capes (combat and noncombat) and got enough pvp screenshots to make this thread load slowly for broadband. At the end of the day, PVP/SKILLS/Quests all provide timewastes for different types of people and are no more "important" or "mission critical" than the other aspects of the game.

No matter which road you take, this game never ends.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

If they do that, i will be quite annoyed as i worked hard for 99 attack and dont want to spend a year getting 100mil xp for 120. also, if even if you have two 99's the cape isnt trimmed then that will be rubbish. To be honest they should just keep skill caps at 99 and focus on other parts of the game which are a lot worse

SacredFlam3s.png

DK's Drops: 7 Berserker Rings, 2 Warrior Ring, 1 Archers Ring, 7 Dragon Hatchet, 1 Seercull, 3 Elite Clue - All Solo

GWD Drops (CS): 1 Bandos Chestplate, 2 Armadyl Hilt, 1 Armadyl Chestplate

Slayer:1 D skirt, 2 Whip, 12 G Mauls, 2 Dragon Boots

I don't think that Jagex can afford to make another ridicuous update like level 120 and lose 10% of its paying users again. XD

If they raised the level cap to 120, they would have to do so many updates and add more reasons to get that high, and make it easy enough to do, so I don't think it will ever happen. I think the person who wrote that is full of it saying "when" not if. Psssh. Melodrama irks me when a person is using it earnestly.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

Haven't you noticed that I haven't given a [orange wedge] about any of your posts either?... You really are wasting your time you know, I'm already giving you more attention that I actually have by letting you know that I have no intentions to talk with someone who spams "derp" and WRITEZ IN LEET CAPS LUL! :mellow:

First and last time I reply to you.

She didn't only claim it was her opinion, she treated "quest phobia" as something universal in the end, I think it's you who should read again. Do I need to go and get quotes for you or can you find it yourself?

Anyway, if you don't believe me.. why don't you go and put down skilling in front of some skillers right now in game? Go ahead and do that, you can even invite me to come so I witness it myself. Then when you get some reactions you can tell me if I'm right or if I'm wrong.

It's generally accepted that an article is an opinionated piece pertaining to the subject choice of the author. And like I said, if I told a skiller I didn't like skilling they wouldn't be overly offended. I didn't say I would go up to a 99 Miner and tell them their favourite skill is worthless, because that isn't what the article is about either.

I like quests. I was not offended by the fact that Racheya has "quest phobia." In fact, she never once insulted questers, put down the act of questing, or made any sort of degrading remarks about questing in general. She expressed her fear of questing.

SO WHAT THE [bleep] ARE YOU ON ABOUT, SILVERTALER?

I'm thoroughly confused as to how someone can be so idiotic, moronic, and illiterate. I'm typically critical of Racheya's articles and writing style, but I do not see how her phobia of questing could have possibly offended anyone.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Great, your not going to reply to me anymore, so I'll just keep posting here anyway. I really love your crappy excuse for not replying to my posts too.

It's kind of cute how you take an offense to being wrong. You are wrong. Accept it and move on.

And in response to you saying:

spams "derp" and WRITEZ IN LEET CAPS LUL!

1) I am not spamming derp. Spamming is just a continuous post of it. I have used 'Derp' in about 2 posts. And the reason why I say derp is because I'd rather say that then call you a idiotic moron for my own good.

2) I write in capitals because your clearly not understanding the point of what I, and everyone else, is saying. And for the record, I never used Leet. So nice job making yourself look stupid there.

In relevance to this thread: I don't think this thread is going to last until Sunday without becoming an all out flame fest because one person doesn't get it.

Replying to: The Looming Threat of Level 120

It would be awful if skills would have their caps raised to 120. It would most likely devistate the RS echonomy, which is already hanging on a thread. Also, players would thne have super advantages. Think about lvl 120 strength, players could hit 990 without drinking the extream potions! Also, what new thing could you make with lvl 120 smithing, or 120 mining? In order to make it usefull to train your skills this high, they would more than likely make a quest, where once you finish it, you can mine and smith dragon metal! That's how the echonomy would be ruined. No longer any need to kill Mithril dragons, I just mine some dragon ore and make my-self a Dragon Full Helm. RS should leave the caps @ lvl 99.

In reference to the featured article,

The incresed level cap would be feasible for only a few skills at this point. For example, hitpoints. Currently, a player with maxed combat stats *can* 1-hit any other player. This does not often happen, but it is indeed possible. By raising the cap on hitpoints, this would mean that you are at least going to make it to the second attack. Also given the fact that after 78 attack, there is no weapon or armour content,and this plans to be filled in, the need for more hitpoints makes this almost imperative. Another skill that could be raised is Smiting. It has been pretty well filled fom top to bottom, and yet there is so much more potential in it that it could easily be within the realm of possibility for this skill to be expanded further. However, if Jagex does in fact plan on raising the caps on other skills, they need to fill them out more up to 99 first.

"The things we wish for, they bind us. The things we need, they control us. But the things we make of our self, those things define us"

Badboy000345.png

Proud Quest Cape owner since July 18, 2010

If there was 120 slayer, it would take 7,000 hours to max out. If you spent that time at a job in real life, you would make $61250 even on minimum wage. That's enough to buy a pretty nice car.

If there was 120 summoning, it would take 250,000 crimson charms to max out. That's 333,000 waterfiends. Thats approximately 80,000 hours of non-stop killing waterfiends at around max combat, not to mention the time it takes to actually turn those charms in pouches. If you had a job in real life and worked that long on a $12.50 per hour wage, you'd have $1,000,000. Oh by the way, that's 17% of your waking life.

If there was 120 prayer, you couldn't even hold in your bank the amount of coins required to buy the bones needed to max out. And I don't even want to know how long it takes to burn all those bones...

:shock:

(no but seriously whoever gets 120 summoning better shoot themselves afterwards, or just think about the meaning of their life)

The major flaw with your "logic" is that people have hobbies. I spent weeks of 6-8 hours playing soccer or trumpet as a kid. I spent years with 6-8 hours of reading books. Piers, Heinlein, Brooks, Johnstone, though kids these days might say Rowling and *retch* Myers.

Sure, I wasn't of age to work when I was playing soccer. I still read books now. They're not making me money. But the same thing happens when I read To Sail Beyond the Sunset again as when I cut some trees or mine some ore or beat the crap out of some mobs: Fun.

I'd rather spend 17% of my waking life having fun than I would grinding my soul to the bone slaving away to the system for absolutely no ultimate reward. Since you know, you're talking about time off. Hence the whole spare time thing, and the reason hobbies exist in the first place.

Oh boy... I giggle to think of what the author will feel when attempting Mourning's End's part 2's Agility obstacle. Now THAT'S what I call frustration unless you have 70+ agility...

I agree! I did that quest at 60 Agility. In all, it took me roughly 8 hours to do that quest. <_<

Spaz4010.png