Minecraft General

demby123

Yeah, the 1.5 update looks amazing. I may have snow enabled for snowy biomes (supposedly, I have yet to see it) with the nature mod I have installed, but I'd prefer to have the official thing :P

Just a quick update on my current game...

I started a small lakeside house built into the side of a cliff, so my front door comes out onto a dock that wraps around a bit of the side of the cliff, as well as having a boathouse (which doesn't work too well at keeping animals out and keeping my boats safe, as I soon discovered). I had just built my bedroom, farm and storeroom, as well as dug down to bedrock and was in the process of digging out my main mining room when I discovered this mod:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=247048&sid=e316b6b9d2e520d46c3ca7880c9ee09b

Basically, it adds growing, randomly generated villages to world gen. With newly generated worlds, you'll likely have one within distance to be detected with 'v' which shows any villages within a certain distance of you. They start off with six villagers, a couple houses, and a town hall. From there, they'll grow, but they'll only really start to expand when you trade building materials (wood, stone, glass) with them.

It really is incredible to me, seeing something like this. In the time it took me to sell them some wood, run back to my old home to get as much of my stuff as possible, and come back (marking my way so I didn't get lost this time), they already had a windmill and bakery built.

They're still in their wood and dirt houses with no glass in their windows, though. I'm really quite interested in seeing how they expand from here. I dunno, I've always wanted to... I'm unsure, lead a small village like this as it grows and expands? I've been looking for a mod like this for a very long time. It already ranks up there with ControllerBloc and the grappling hook for me.

Excuse my wall of text there. I'll post a screenie of the village as is within a few minutes, if I can get them hosted. I have several other mods installed as well, although most of it is standard fare for me, the weapons mod is a new addition - adds battle axes, warhammers, spears, javelins, crossbow and a musket (still haven't decided if I want to use the musket, though - never liked the idea of guns in Minecraft, but seeing as this is as archaic as gun mods get, I might keep it). The spear is a far more enjoyable weapon for me, since I can throw it as well as attack, although warhammer's increased knockback distance makes punting cows off of cliffs far more amusing.

Ahem. I'll stop typing now. Pics of the town to be arriving shortly, hopefully.

EDIT: The pictures! Also, I'm using a Zelda texture pack, which I quite like myself, apart from the lava to some degree.

[spoiler=Pictures]20110411035133.png

That's a shot of inside of the house I'm in now. Note, it's not built by me, rather it's an insta-house mod I downloaded. It functions kinda like a tent, the actual object is the weird colored floor in the center of the floor. Good for long trips before I can get myself established, which I'll do soon.

20110411035243.png

A view of the town. You can see a farmer and his fields on the left, as well as a random wolf in behind him if you look closely. I should probably keep an eye on the wolves, I'm unsure of how they'll react to the human mobs, and I know the humans won't fight back on peaceful mode.

20110411035348.png

A picture of some of the villagers clearing an area out for a building (you can see a sign nearby, that seems to symbolize the new building site. This is also why my house is so far way from town (and up on a hill), they seem quite capable of flattening out an area, I'd rather now have them flatten my own house :P honestly, I have no idea what they're building here - I've noticed that there's a good deal of french in this mod, in some of the terms and names. I can sorta understand it, being Canadian, but not all the way. Thankfully it's only names and these building site signs that seem to be in french, everything else is in english.

20110411035356.png

This is the windmill that was built in my absence. I was extremely surprised to see this being here when I came back, plus the building site above, as well as the population being doubled (now 12, and I see kids running around).

Overall I'm extremely surprised at how the town is progressing. I know not everyone here uses mods, but I felt like this one was a real gem. I meant what I said about waiting for one like it for a long time. I do get some occasional crashes and lagspikes (both of which were explained as pathfinding issues in the topic somewhere, I believe), but they're so infrequent that they don't bother me. Plus, they really only happen when I'm moving around and going into new areas quickly, which I only do in spurts anyway :P

EDIT: Turns out the nature mod and Millenaire aren't as compatible as I first thought. The 'infrequent' crashes only got worse the longer I stayed near the village. I was quite annoyed at it continuously happening, so I experimented with what might be causing it - finding out that only having Millenaire on it's own causes no crashes, but the moment the nature mod is installed, it goes boom. So, in the process of reinstalling all the mods sans the nature one now. I'm hoping my original world is salvageable, but if it isn't, I don't mind horribly. Since nature mod only really affected how trees and other plants worked (plus snow), I doubt it'll cause a huge amount of fuss. Hopefully.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

Ah, yes, Millénaire mod. I was looking at it but didn't download it since I was gonna INV-edit anyway. But how rare would you say the towns are? Do they spawn too many times or too few?

If I go back to playing legit Survival mode I'm definitely going to get this. But I might get it even if I INVedit.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

From my experience, they aren't extremely common. I know at least you can't detect any other towns around while you're inside of one currently, and the detect function (v) goes for 900 meters, I think.

With my already generated world, I had to wander for 2 days or so to find the one I'm at now, getting myself horribly lost in the process seeing as I had to cross a huge desert as well >.> when I was testing what mod was conflicting with it though, a newly generated world spawned me within sight of a new town, although I didn't detect any more nearby as before.

They can only generate on relatively flat areas, so they're impossible to find in mountainous terrain, though. They don't seem to need extremely large areas, though. All their buildings are relatively small, apart from the town hall, and the terrain in between the buildings doesn't matter to them - the newly generated world and town had a big hole right in between the buildings, they just seemed to walk around it. That being said, they're quite capable of flattening out areas for their buildings, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can somewhat do this with generating new towns as well - I noticed one of the houses was sitting on a cliff that seemed a little too far out and a little too perfectly shaped to me.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. They aren't too common, and they can't generate on already explored terrain in a current save, you'll have to explore new areas for them to generate. There can be multiple towns, though. I just haven't seen more than one.

My current town's population is 10, which is odd seeing as the last time I looked it was at 12. I need to watch the wolves more closely, I know someone's gone missing. There's a new fountain in the middle of town, plus a new farm (maybe two, I can't remember off hand), and a new building I wasn't sure what it was until I looked in the txt files for the mod. Apparently it's a guard tower.

I'm hoping some of their buildings gets converted into stone soon, though. It's kinda sucky having wood and dirt buildings everywhere, lol.

Link_Olaran.png

I tried to download the planes mod, but I cant do it right. None of the mods I downloaded work.

Untitled_zpsrs1nv3dr.pnginstabadge_zps761d5351.png

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

Just at a glance, the Planes mod looked obscenely complicated to install and use, hence why I avoided it at first >.>

I'll dl it and see if I can get it running, though. Are you sure you dl'ed the correct files? I noticed they have the SMP files listed first, and SSP files listed second (the reverse of what I'd normally expect). I'm assuming you're on 1.4_01 as well. There appears to be a troubleshooting batch file up near the top that might help you find the problem as well.

Regardless, I'll start the download to install these now. Maybe I'll run into the same error as you.

Link_Olaran.png

Are you following these steps?

[hide]

1) Open up your Start Menu and click Run. Type in "%appdata%". A folder nammed "Application Data" should pop up and a ".minecraft" folder should be inside. Make a shortcut of this ".minecraft" folder for easier access in the future.

2) Open up the "bin" folder inside ".minecraft". You should see a 'executable jar file' called "Minecraft". This is the "Minecraft jar file" for future reference.

YOU MUST HAVE A COMPRESSOR SOFTWARE: Such as Winzip, 7zip, etc. Default windows zip-folders will not work.

3) Right click the jar file, Open With, compressor program. Now you'll see a lot of ".class" files and some folders in it.

4) Download your mods and simply copy+paste the ".class" files and folders from the download to the Minecraft Jar file. 98% of all mods install like this.

IMPORTANT: Before installing ANY mods, download and install Mod Loader first. (Install like in Step 4) This will ensure all future Modloader-supported mods (Majority of mods) will not conflict with one another...meaning no bugs and crashes.

5) Delete the "META-INF" folder within the Minecraft Jar File.

6) Feel free to download as many mods you like.

[/hide]

Hm, for the Planes mod you need quite a few of prerequisites it seems

[hide]1. Download & Install Risugami's ModLoader viewtopic.php?t=80246

2. Download & Install SDK's ModLoaderMp (Guns, utils etc optional) http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=159473

3. Download & Install GaryCXJk's Turbo Model Thingy http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=159473

4. (Optional)Download & Install Risugami's AudioMod http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=80246

5. Download Planes v9 from here

6. Add the contents of the "jar files" folder to the minecraft.jar

7. Add the contents of the "resource files" to the resources folder

8. Drag planes.txt and plane.properties into the .minecraft folder

9. Delete META-INF folder, if you didn't already

10. Play![/hide]

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Gio, you're looking at the SMP (and SSP) section, I think :P I'm looking at the section under that, it only has 3 things I have to download, although the title for that section says SSP only.

FFF, this guy's topic is a mess. Even I'm confused. Hang on, I'll reread everything.

Okay, I think I'm understanding his sections. The top one Gio was reading is version 9, which has SSP and SMP functionality. The section I was reading was for version 7, and only has SSP functionality. Now that I know this, I'll just list off what I'm doing as I go.

- Downloaded modelrendererturbo, AudioMod, ModLoaderMP, and planes1.4_01.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

If I wasn't in the middle of a lecture, I would look into it. Give me about an hour and I'll figure it out; I really want this mod.

EDIT: Or Link will do it!

siggy3s.jpg

I'll keep working towards making it work and listing my steps until then :)

Let's see here...

- Downloaded modelrendererturbo, AudioMod, ModLoaderMP, and planes1.4_01.

- Cut/paste zip files into my mods folder into a separate folder temporarily.

- Temporarily back up minecraft.jar in case something explodes that isn't a plane.

- Extract and place the new zip files' contents into the jar and resources folder if applicable.

- (META INF is already long since deleted, so I don't have to worry about that)

- Run Minecraft with new mods installed.

Editing this post once I get everything installed and testing.

EDIT: All installed, nothing's exploded yet. Gonna build a simple airplane and hopefully not make it explode.

.. Damn, this takes a lot of iron. I may need to mine some more.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

THIS IS [cabbage]!

I HAD the mod running FINE. I made the airplane workbench, then exited out to use INVedit and now I can't go back in.

EDIT: Okay, fixed it. Apparently there was two copies of the planes.properties in the .minecraft folder; well, one in ZIP'ed form. But it unpatched my texture pack. I should be able to make my first plane momentarily.

siggy3s.jpg

How do you trade with them? I see the storehouse bu it won't let me interact with it.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

The trading mechanism was annoying for me to figure out too, yeah.

To sell items to them, you have to select them on the hotbar and right click on the woman there. If there's no one in the town hall, just walk in and stand near the chests, one will show up shortly (and give a message saying they're on their way). Left shift right click sells 10 items, left control right click sells 100 items.

Buying, I haven't tried yet, but I assume you buy the appropriate materials from whichever building you're in by having your money selected and right clicking - town hall sells wood, bakery sells bread, the tavern sells cider. I still haven't seen the tavern, I think it needs glass to be built.

I'm still trying to figure out what all the signs mean inside, lol. I know some of them seem to be asking for material, or at least that's what it looks like.

Link_Olaran.png

Got it. Village is nearing being maxed out. Built a castle and mineshaft in a mountain overlooking it. The signs tell you population of each age group and what gender they are. It also tells you what the current project is and if you have enough materials to do it. The bottom signs tell you what the village sells (always wood) and what it is currently buying and in what quanity. To max out the village you must keep it stocked with all four materials.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

So, yeah, my Minecraft experience has been pretty awful lately. Downloaded a couple of extra creature mods, but they all seemed really tacky and lame so I deleted them. Then I started everything all over again to try and respark my interest. The world I spawned in was pretty neat, with a kind of hollowed out mountain right next to my spawn. Got to mining, and immediately found a ridiculous cave system under my house. I haven't reached the end of it after exploring for at least an hour. They are full of mobs, and every so often I forget about a corridor above my head and a zombie or something drops on me and terrifies me. Oh, and I've ran into two dungeons. Next to each other. Like, conjoined. >_> Spider and Skeleton, I destroyed the Spider one, but I've left the Skeleton one surrounded by lava for the moment, because I don't want to take any chances and those [bleep]s gave me a lot of trouble. In addition to connecting to the spider dungeon, they connected to two corridors. One goes further into the depths, which I have not explored yet, though I'm pretty sure there's a slime in it (really gross squish/clicking noises), as well as loads of Skeletons and Creepers (I saw those before I blocked that passage off). I settled for blocking the other one off, and went back up to store my loot. A-aaaand the second corridor apparent loops back into my kinda base camp, where my ladder to the surface was. Long story short, I got ganked by three Skeletons. Not my proudest moment.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Well, thanks to Link and his 3p1c m0dd1ng 5k1lls, my plane mod is now working :D

Im currently working on a new house and whatnot because my saves were destroyed :(

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

Hey guys, Im trying to start an MC Clan in runescape, and let it take off. I currently only have 2 people willing to help found - I NEED 3 more to start it. PM me in RS at Hugger 88

PLEASE PM ASAP.

I found some mods I thought you guys might find helpful

[hide=Mods]

Makes survival harder: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=267309

Tells you your light level, and what you can do: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=185106

Replaces MC music with Legend of Zelda music: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=227898

Gives some use to pigs: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=275921

[/hide]

I haven't installed any yet, but from the comments they work as described.

This feels exceptional on my under-carriage.

My house now:

House & Hangar

[hide]Outside.png

Landing strip goes out about 140 blocks[/hide]

Inside Hangar

[hide]Hangar.png[/img][/hide]

Inside House

[hide]Insidehouse.png[/hide]

Upstairs in House

[hide]upstairs.png[/hide]

Wow, that's impressive Zilla. I've always wanted to make something in the Nether.

siggy3s.jpg