All time greatest Videogame Villain.

Demoli

As some of you may or may not know, Gamespot is helding a Contest on who is the greates Villain of all time.

Their list of nominees include pretty much the staple villains from all mainstream videogames.

So, what would be your all time favourite videogame Villain?

Mine is certainly Kefka, that man was both insane and a genious, being one of the few who actually managed to destroy the world.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Sniper" - Any multiplayer FPS.

LOL.

When I read the title, Ganon came directly to mind. Though I guess that's just because he's the first villain to ever appear to be a true villain to me. I actually think the villains in video games are much less symbolic of a 'villain' that you'd see in a movie or read about it in a comic or novel. I've got tons of villains pouring in from comics, film and books but from video games? They just really don't feel all too evil or live up to the standard films or comics have.

Jack Of Blades from Fable. He's just badass.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

I'd put Dracula simply because he NEVER stays dead. There's also SHODAN from System Shock.

And more recently, YHWH (The Judeo-Christian God) from the SMT series of games. Although a small mention of things he does includes nuking Tokyo, and trying to force a regime that kills anyone who doesn't believe piously in his ideas. It feels so good when you get to finally slay the smug bastard. Although that ending isn't so good for the main character...

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

SHODAN. Yeah, no question about it.

Though lavos is pretty classic.

Yeah, SHODAN is a complete monster. It's so satisfying when you get to finally slay her.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

When I read the title, Ganon came directly to mind. Though I guess that's just because he's the first villain to ever appear to be a true villain to me. I actually think the villains in video games are much less symbolic of a 'villain' that you'd see in a movie or read about it in a comic or novel. I've got tons of villains pouring in from comics, film and books but from video games? They just really don't feel all too evil or live up to the standard films or comics have.

On that note, Majora. Ganon was more of a manipulative villain, what with working for the King to overthrow him in OoT and being the man behind Zant in TP. Majora was pretty much the villain that wanted to destroy the world for no reason other than evil. Also this.

Pokemon, of all things, has a good candidate in Cyrus. Rocket? They do things for profit, only a crossing the line a few times, and they aren't much of a threat. They get more dangerous after Giovanni leaves, but not much. Magma and Aqua? They had good intentions, and the leaders ultimately try to undo their mistakes. Cyrus laughs in their faces. He uses his organization to remake the world and set himself as the God figure. On the side he wants to remove emotion as well. You see him torture annoyingly cute Mew clones to do so, and in the end even his second in command is disgusted. And this is a kid's game.

^ Zelda Informer ftw. I completely agree. Ganon has always been the stereotypical "I WILL RULE THE WORLD AND I WILL TAKE YOUR WENCH. I AM ALL POWERFUL AND AM CONFIDENT YOU WILL NOT DEFEAT ME. BEWARE!" Aside from a little bit of depth Wind Waker gave to him, he's always been a very boring character. The only thing going for him is the fact that his boss fights are always epic, and he looks kind of cool.

Majora, on the other hand... once you understand more about him, you kind of feel bad for him. His character's pretty complex and actually has believable human emotion. He didn't necessarily want to destroy the world, but all the bitterness and tension he built up over his entire life from being mistreated and misunderstood simply reached their breaking point once the mask took control of his body.

Also in Silent Hill 2, the projections of all the emotional unrest from James Sutherland essentially creating the enemies and villains of the game was pretty brilliant I'd say :3 And who doesn't think Pyramid Head is awesome, in a never-come-near-me-oh-god-you're-terrifying kind of way?

wl7w9j.png

On that note, Majora. Ganon was more of a manipulative villain, what with working for the King to overthrow him in OoT and being the man behind Zant in TP. Majora was pretty much the villain that wanted to destroy the world for no reason other than evil. Also this.

Pokemon, of all things, has a good candidate in Cyrus. Rocket? They do things for profit, only a crossing the line a few times, and they aren't much of a threat. They get more dangerous after Giovanni leaves, but not much. Magma and Aqua? They had good intentions, and the leaders ultimately try to undo their mistakes. Cyrus laughs in their faces. He uses his organization to remake the world and set himself as the God figure. On the side he wants to remove emotion as well. You see him torture annoyingly cute Mew clones to do so, and in the end even his second in command is disgusted. And this is a kid's game.

That is one of the reasons majora never seemed a villain to me. He was just misunderstood, he didn't intentionally want to destroy the world and therefore he didn't want such evil. Gannon is a manipulative genious, who takes second place to pre-nerfed Zant. I can't believe they did that in TP <.<

On the note of pokemon, Rocket is the only one that seems an evil organization. Magma and Aqua were a bunch of greenpeace lunatics, and Cyrus was a bit overdone.Team rocket, and specially Giovanni, were the only ones that really looked like villains. They reminded me of an underground Mafia. That and they were the only team to successfully kill a pokemon, aswell as mutilate thousands of other pokemons like Slowpokes and magikarps. That and they capture wild pokemon to sell them for pure profit to stranger who will grind them to death.

Cyrus isn't very far behind, but Rocket are just the standart. A very high one.

PS: That last note reminded me of a critic who said the following about Wind Waker: "In this game you can break your enemies neck and use it as a weapon to fight it's brethren. You know, for kids!" :lol:

I wanna say Baron Praxis, but that's the Jak and Daxter freak in me.

Baron_Praxis.jpg

But for someone who looks like that, you know he's badass. Personally, I would have rathered him to be final. I would have also liked to hear more about his assault on the Metal Head Nest.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

That is one of the reasons majora never seemed a villain to me. He was just misunderstood, he didn't intentionally want to destroy the world and therefore he didn't want such evil. Gannon is a manipulative genious, who takes second place to pre-nerfed Zant. I can't believe they did that in TP <.<

I meant Majora separate from the Skull Kid. The mask was there feeding off of all that emotion and manipulating him to destroy the world whether he wanted to or not. When it realizes that SK wasn't that evil, or at least weak, it dumped him and continued its plan to destroy the world.

BOWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or Andross...

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Majora.

Though aren't there rumors that Majora isn't the evil one, and that Fierce Deity was actually the bad guy (hence the last moon kid saying "lets play good guys and bad guys")?

Adventure_Time_by_Titan_of_Tacos.png

As soon as I saw this topic I instantly thought of Iago from Shakespeare's Othello, but that's not a video game.

Cyrus from Pokemon is definitely up there. I was almost sick when I was reading team Magma and Aqua's text, that Cyrus' logic and intellect was quite refreshing.

Cortex from Crash Bandicoot is a fun one, although really quite incompetent when it seems like Uka Uka was the real villain. Ganon is also pretty cool.

I also like Ridley from Metroid Prime.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything