Need Help

Maze

I'm having a problem.

I'm taking an honors math class, and I'm having loads of trouble understanding it. I was frustrated to tears with my current homework assignment. My dad tried explaining it, and I still did not understand it.

I e-mailed the teacher, still no reply, but I don't know if I can get help after-school with him. He coaches basketball, so after-school for him is hard to arrange.

I'm really afraid that I'm going to get failing marks. I've always been a great, straight A student, but this may pull me down.

What should I do?

Chill bro, either you'll get it or you won't. The first few days aren't a good thing to judge it by, give it a few more and if you really think you're going to do poorly then drop to a lower level.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Chill bro, either you'll get it or you won't. The first few days aren't a good thing to judge it by, give it a few more and if you really think you're going to do poorly then drop to a lower level.

That's a problem I have. I get too stressed out when I don't get something.

And I just got into high school, so now I'm getting credits, which raises the importance level of school to a whole new standard.

I'm afraid I'll fail math.

It's funny though, I'm taking an advanced history course meant for high-level sophomores and I'm doing fine in that. But I'm struggling with this.

Math is one of those things that can take a while to get into, especially if It's something totally new. I almost failed my pre-calc class last year, but I managed to figure it out after a while. Assuming you're a better student than me (if you get straight A's and are taking honors courses you most likely are) you'll get it in no time. And if not, there's nothing wrong with dropping to a lower level.

You still need to get used to how high school is too, things don't work the same way as they did in middle school. Especially when it comes to grades, you'll find that your grades go up or down a lot easier since you're doing more work. That means a slow start isn't going to stop you from doing well. Hell, I pulled a high C my second quarter of pre-calc and I spent half of that failing pretty badly.

15cbz0y.jpg

First: If you have any older friends (Seniors, etc) try to get them to help you if they can. Try not to stress if you don't get it; Listen to some music, play RS or something, and get back to it.

Second: If you're using the book with the big magnifying glass on it and a jigsaw puzzle behind it, try Hot Math. I hear it costs money now, but if you're willing to spend some money, it's really helpful.

Paragon.png

And I just got into high school, so now I'm getting credits, which raises the importance level of school to a whole new standard.

It's funny though, I'm taking an advanced history course meant for high-level sophomores and I'm doing fine in that. But I'm struggling with this.

I'm a very good number cruncher, myself. What problems are you having specifically? A large portion of the more advanced math is just knowing the formula and where everything goes, and of course doing things in the right order. If necessary, I can walk you through ways to solve problems that you give me. Another big portion of how successful you are with math; keeping track of everything. I think the list of people who can actually do things in their head without writing down anything is extremely small; record every little step you take to get to something, no matter how small; this will help you with doing things in proper order, too.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

If your not getting your homework you should get help from your teacher or get a tutor/ study group to help you. There are plenty of resources out there available to you and I can only assume its the first or second week of school so its not the end of the world. Just don't be afraid to ask for help.

tFtfA.jpg

Sounds a lot like yesterday when I was writing an essay for my Honors English Composition class in university. I let myself become so stressed (I had writer's block) that I was venting the frustration by punching my computer screen (I have bruised knuckles from it).

Just allowing yourself to get stressed will make it worse for you. Find some way to relax. Personally, I relax by taking a nice, warm bath and putting my ears under the water so that it gets quiet and I can only hear the sound that the pressure in the water makes.

Go take a walk. Clear your mind. But don't procrastinate or let yourself shutdown because you are stressed.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'm having a problem.

I'm taking an honors math class, and I'm having loads of trouble understanding it. I was frustrated to tears with my current homework assignment. My dad tried explaining it, and I still did not understand it.

I e-mailed the teacher, still no reply, but I don't know if I can get help after-school with him. He coaches basketball, so after-school for him is hard to arrange.

I'm really afraid that I'm going to get failing marks. I've always been a great, straight A student, but this may pull me down.

What should I do?

Same bro, same. School hasn't even started and I've heard the class I'm taking is by far the hardest in the school.

Advice: drop the class or get tutored.

What class would that be?

I'd say to just clear your head, you seem frustrated.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I'm having a problem.

What should I do?

Same bro, same. School hasn't even started and I've heard the class I'm taking is by far the hardest in the school.

Advice: drop the class or get tutored.

What class would that be?

I'd say to just clear your head, you seem frustrated.

Time for a back story!

6th grade (11 years old - 12 for you Brits) - took Pre-Algebra which put me 1 year ahead in math. Passed it easy.

7th grade - took Algebra 1 Honors which put me another year ahead (at my school it's supposed to be a two year course). Passed it easy.

8th grade - took Geometry, passed it easy.

Now, 9th grade (3rd form - the present) Algebra 2 Honors, the last class I have to take to have my math reqs. to finish high school done (though I'll take calc and stuff too because I love math). The name is misleading, because it's actually Algebra 2 + Pre Calc in one course. Supposedly it's the hardest class at the private school I'm going to. Would put me 3 years ahead and would mean I could take Calculus (AB or BC, [bleep] me I forget) in 10th grade. My class will be 3 of my friends (the other 3 who are going to the private school pussied out) and the rest juniors and sophomores, with a few seniors who hate math.

So, yeah, there's my story. And it probably makes me sound like a braggy douchebag, but whatever.

Algebra 2 is honestly harder than pre-calc. Pre-calc just has you applying some concepts from Algebra and Geometry and use of circles and sines/cosines/tangents. If you're ahead that far, I don't think you'll have any problems. I kinda stopped after precalc, so...

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

[cabbage], algebra 2 was nap time. I got a B doing no homework at all. Of course that wasn't an honors class. And I was a sophomore.

Of course it's different from place to place and teacher to teacher as well.

15cbz0y.jpg

[cabbage], algebra 2 was nap time. I got a B doing no homework at all. Of course that wasn't an honors class. And I was a sophomore.

Of course it's different from place to place and teacher to teacher as well.

Lucky, I got a horrible grade because I didn't do homework. I never heard from the teacher though because I always got one of the highest scores on the tests.

Guest Mrmegakirby

Yeah, that's very true. If I get the guy that stands at the board and drones on, I'll shoot myself.

It's worse when they make a mistake (Mine often did, my teachers seemed to suck at math) and they keep droning on about the mistake, won't let you correct them, then stand at the board for 10 minutes trying to figure out why their formula didn't work.

On topic: Just relax, don't be afraid to ask someone older or good at math a question. Try and break it down - that always helps for math.

What are you having trouble understanding? Chances are there are enough math wizzes on this forum that we'd be able to explain it to you in a variety of ways, one of which you might understand (or we'd all beat it into your head through our collective repetition).

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Chill bro

Chill bro.

Honors math, and any other really tough class in highschool [especially math] isn't there so you can learn the material and use it in everyday life. Unless you want to be an engineer, which I'm sure many 'scapers go on to do. All highschool is about is making sure you can handle stress and get on with your life. You're forced to maintain a social life, make friends, be accepted, get good grades, participate in activities, and wake up at an ungodly hour to catch a bus. THOSE are real life skills. so what if you can't memorize and apply the quadratic equation? That's not gonna help you pay your bills or buy a house. Chill out, relax and get your priorities together man. Honors math isn't the grade you need to focus on. Stress management is what they're really testing. And right now, the best way for you to pass that test is to calm down a bit.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Agreed with a few of the other posters here. Give us a few sample problems from your texts you can't make heads or tails of, and we'll walk you through them. We probably got enough dudes here to give you multiple ways of solving the problem, just pick the routine that looks easiest to you.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Because they use two different parts of the brain. The math side is a highly analytical quantitative process; while history is a highly interpretive qualitative process. You're not stupid for being bad at math, there are literally math people, and not math people. Or you may just be a late bloomer in Math. I got a D in 8th grade math, and now math just makes sense, while I've never taken Calc, I'm pretty sure I could make at least a C in it, if not higher. As previously posted, it's very important not to judge a class by the first day or two. Wait til October at the least.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Math was never really my thing. I prefer english and history.

When I grow up, I actually plan on being an english or history teacher.

Relax. Don't do it. When you wanna go to it.

I do accelerate maths (putting me forward a year and a half), and for the first few weeks I didn't know what the [bleep] I was doing. And then I eased into it, and get some really good results. Just ease into it, you'll be alright.

lampost_sig_stark.png