That's a hard lesson to learn.

sees_all1

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/10/05/general-us-house-left-to-burn_7987652.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

Sad story. Homeowners neglect to pay for fire protection, their house catches, and they have to watch it burn.

Figured we can have some spirited discussion on it. I'll post my thoughts later.

EDIT:

Another link to a different story, same event. Might load better for yous peeps.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-familys-home-burns-ground-firefighters-stand-watch/story?id=11806407

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't the firemen get payed by the taxes all citizens pay? In other words, isn't he already paying them in other ways?

I thought so too, but apparently because they don't live in any official city boundaries, instead of having the county firemen, they use the nearest city firemen. Since they're not 'supposed' to exit the city, they have to charge a fee.

I think it's disgusting how a World Power can't protect from fire.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Surely the state should protect all citizens (or, in other words, everyone should be obligated to pay). Fire protection is a public good because it's usually impossible to let only selected houses burn. I guess that in rural areas where houses are further apart that's less of an issue, but it still seems to me that it'd be simpler to just make it part of the property taxes that everyone has to pay.

But, since there is an insurance system, I agree with the firemen. If he doesn't pay the fee, he shouldn't be protected. No one likes a freeloader.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

But, since there is an insurance system, I agree with the firemen. If he doesn't pay the fee, he shouldn't be protected. No one likes a freeloader.

Well if there wasn't a insurance system, there'd be no freeloaders right?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Exactly.. they didn't pay to have it insured, so it isn't. I can't say I like the fact that their home burned to the ground when something could have been done.. but it comes back to them choosing not to pay.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Isn't tax dollars supposed to be paying for this, which should technically be free? Or are all those tax dollars going into exorbitant ad campaigns, salaries, and vacations?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

In all honesty, you get what you pay for. Which in this case was nothing. I assume I'll be flamed for this comment later, so, whatever.

Did this beautiful pun really go unnoticed?

Anyway, yeah, you get what you pay for.

You just made my night. I didn't even realize I made an unintentional pun.

The link won't load, but I assume that the fire fighters wouldn't come because they didn't pay for fire protection, or something?

Damn. Sucks, but sort of deserved.

Personally as it's a volunteer non paid service in my area, I find the actions disgusting and sad that they would dispatch to a house knowing it didn't have protection.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Correct, and then someone in Mr. Cranick's position who doesn't want to pay would have to pay anyways. With higher taxes.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I don't get why the county or their small town or whatever wouldn't just build the fee into their property tax or something. Seems like something organized crime would do though. "You didn't pay your protection money, now watch your store burn", except instead of burning the building down they just watched an already burning building go down. Also, IIRC, this is [cabbage] like they did in ancient Rome, if you didn't pay they knocked your building down when it caught on fire so it wouldn't spread. Pretty heartbreaking tbh

yes.png

Normally I'm one to say you deserve the consequences of your actions [or lack thereof] but this is just immoral as it deprived someone a basic necessity [of shelter]. This is comparable to a doctor not helping a patient because they cannot pay.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Normally I'm one to say you deserve the consequences of your actions [or lack thereof] but this is just immoral as it deprived someone a basic necessity [of shelter]. This is comparable to a doctor not helping a patient because they cannot pay.

I wouldn't say that. There are homeless shelters, and ways to get you back on your feet I'm sure. But you can't get a new leg. You can always get a new house, it'll just take time. And I know what you guys are gonna say, "But, but, but Zach! There are prosthetic legs!" You know what I mean, so don't bother. You'll just make yourself look like my avatar.

Read bows post, really. I agree with him 24/7. DRs are required by law to treat everyone, even if no insurance. However, they are not required to save anyone's house. All the people were safe obviously. And tbh, if they needed to put out the fire to get the people out of there, they would.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

A little more background information, for those of you that did not (or could not) read the original article.

The city's fire department in the past only served the city. These people were outside of the city, and did not pay taxes to the city. Several years ago, the city offered its fire protection to homes in the surrounding areas for a small fee - $75 a year. This family either forgot to or chose not to pay for this service, they have in the past. Its unclear why they didn't pay this time, but it wasn't for lack of knowing.

They were burning trash in a barrel when the fire got out of control. They called the dispatcher, would could not get the city fire department to respond. Only when the fire spread to a neighbor's property, who did in fact pay the fee, did the city's fire department respond. The fire department stop the fire from spreading off the one property.

In my opinion - As horrible as it is to have firemen watch your house burn, the blame rests squarely on the individuals. They had the opportunity to protect their property from fire, but negligently chose not to. Its not that they couldn't pay, they didn't.

I'm not familiar with their local or state tax system, but I'd venture to guess new laws will be passed with this recent event in mind. Having public fire protection (like EMS) is one thing I feel that government can do to benefit society.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Honestly, if they were doing something like burning trash near the house knowing that they didn't have fire protection then they deserve it. While it does suck hard, they knew they weren't protected and they weren't careful enough while burning trash. I'd feel bad if it were arson or an electrical fire but this was entirely their own fault... :mellow:

lighviolet1lk4.jpg