200 hours of fishing.

Sir_Kurity

The fact that you posted this just for the sake of an argument with another member of tip it is dumb, but that's not the point of this thread. The bottom line is that runescape is an achievement based game. The actual grinding of a skill isn't fun to most, but achieving the highest xp per hour or a new level is what keeps people playing due to the achievement aspect. So for those driven by achievement or accomplishment the periods of grinding are well worth it.

Fabled_Foe.png

26M Crafting XP

You mean the discussion where your entire argument was based on the "fact" that no one likes fishing, therefore quest requirements for any skill should never reach into the 90s?

Pretty sure ive never said no one likes fishing, nor is it the basis of my argument, it seems as if you need a lesson in reading.

My argument is based on the belief that excessive quest requirements add nothing to the game, and if anything, take away from it because it compels tens or even hundreds of hours of grind.

Yeah, looks like you lost that one.

I'm pretty sure my argument still stands. All youve done is proven something which is borderline relevant to the discussion anyway (proven that somethings impossible to prove, which seems a bit pointless to be honest).

O.O

Further proof that there are people out there who don't mind training fishing. Amazing!

Its only borderline relevant to the discussion, and as both you and i have acknowledged, its impossible to prove either way.

I'll ask you once again, do you think a 97 fishing requirement would make the game funner to play? Thats my primary argument here, and seeing as this is a game fun should be the primary concern (and not the e-peen of high level players).

O.O

Further proof that there are people out there who don't mind training fishing. Amazing!

Its only borderline relevant to the discussion, and as both you and i have acknowledged, its impossible to prove either way.

I'll ask you once again, do you think a 97 fishing requirement would make the game funner to play? Thats my primary argument here, and seeing as this is a game fun should be the primary concern (and not the e-peen of high level players).

I've acknowledged it? You'll have to post proof of that, too.

Yes, a 97 fishing requirement would be fun. There are two reasons:

1. It gives me a reason to get 97 fishing.

2. A quest with 97 fishing requirement would have an insanely good reward, which is incentive enough.

That said, why fishing of all skills? Why not 93 cooking, 88 smithing, 91 mining, 95 slayer, 93 dungeoneering, etc? What's your obsession with fishing and using it as an example?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

NO ONE GIVES A [cabbage] ABOUT IF YOU PEOPLE THINK 90 LEVEL SKILL REQUIREMENTS ARE TOO HIGH! It's an opinion; neither side can be proven. End of argument, you're both welcome I saved you both minutes of your life times arguing on a runescape board about a runescape skill.

Low_C.png

Wait, did i just hear that?

Did you seriously just compare fishing in runescape to real life, have you even fished in real life? Its completely different from fishing in runescape.

Yeah, I've done a little fishing off a pier in the atlantic ocean.

The most excitement I ever got was that a manta ray ripped my line up because I apparently was doing something wrong.

The concept of fishing is basically the same in RS.

Cast your line, wait alot, and reel it in.

Runescape just does it in one click with ridiculous ease.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I've acknowledged it? You'll have to post proof of that, too.

You'll have to somehow prove (an impossible endeavor) that the majority of the Runescape population agrees that training any particular skill past 90 inherently lacks fun.

You've acknowledged it as impossible to prove.

1. It gives me a reason to get 97 fishing.

If you need an incentive, its obviously not that fun on its own. Thus your forcing yourself through something thats NOT fun, in order to do somethat is IS fun.

2. A quest with 97 fishing requirement would have an insanely good reward, which is incentive enough.

Theres no reason the reward can't require 97 fishing. And the quest require say 50 fishing (IE. All fired up).

That said, why fishing of all skills? Why not 93 cooking, 88 smithing, 91 mining, 95 slayer, 93 dungeoneering, etc? What's your obsession with fishing and using it as an example?

Its an example. I'm pretty sure ive been though this before.

I'm opposing the grind, not the specific requirement, be it 90+ mining, fishing, slayer, cooking, RC, etc. (admittedly, some of these are alot less grindy than fishing, but thats not the point here).

O.O

Wait a minute, people come in here and say they enjoy fishing and would find 200 hours of fishing in RS fun, and you say it is "borderline relevant"?

Isn't that a direct answer to your question?

Yes it would be.

So.......Sephy answered your question, Obt said "oh look, someone said they liked fishing." (paraphrased heavily)

And you then said, "that's only borderline relevant [that someone said they liked fishing], let me ask the question again." (paraphrased heavily)

...this is a game, fun should be the primary concern...

When only 2 posts above, Sephy rather clearly states that it would be fun.

How do you justify this discussion logically if you claim that direct answers to your questions are borderline relevant at best?

Also,

Theres no reason the reward can't require 97 fishing. And the quest require say 50 fishing (IE. All fired up).

Remember when dungeoneering came out? 80 dungeoneering to use chaotic, 87 to buy one of them. Or how about the current bonecrusher. 5k xp required to use a bonecrusher, 340k xp required to buy one. That's 17 times more experience required to actually obtain one then it technically takes to use it.

Also, the Adze isn't a reward from All Fired Up [quest]. The reward from that quest is 5.5k fm experience, 20k cash, and a new minigame.

There are several rewards from the minigame, and these rewards take higher and higher levels to obtain. Ok, I don't see a problem. You can't wear void at 10 defense either, but the new void quest only requires 10.

pere_grin.png

This,

jagex should just get rid of skills cause they are just a grind

amirite

and this,

NO ONE GIVES A [cabbage] ABOUT IF YOU PEOPLE THINK 90 LEVEL SKILL REQUIREMENTS ARE TOO HIGH! It's an opinion; neither side can be proven. End of argument, you're both welcome I saved you both minutes of your life times arguing on a runescape board about a runescape skill.

and what PereGrin said. Oh, and the poster above me likes fishing OMFG WORLD ENDING.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I could never last even 20 hours, let alone 200 hours, fishing without external stimuli. It's too boring otherwise. Doing other things such as browsing forums, listening to music, or watching movies makes fishing an enjoyable experience though.

1265936691788-1.jpg

Well, I wouldn't say that doing homework makes fishing an enjoyable experience for me, but the homework is more to blame for that. lol

I will probably end up doing lots of afk fishing in the coming month or so, just cause I won't be able to do much else while working on my obscene amounts of math homework. Only one more semester after this till I finally finish off my generic Math classes and move on to the more specialized stuff for Engineers. :thumbsup:

pere_grin.png

I can see Kurity's point: It's very easy for Jagex to make a quest hard by just adding a hard "grind requirement". However, adding some activity in the quest that's insanely hard with low skills, and gets easier with higher skills, would be a much more elegant solution in my opinion.

On the other hand, it's true that high requirements give good incentives to train skills, so I don't really mind high requirements.

So yeah, high requirements can be good, but I don't think the eliteness of a quest should be solely decided on it's requirements.

And no, of course I wouldn't think fishing to 97 is fun. I always feel this urge to react when people are telling me they "love cooking", or some other afk skills. What they love is the talking, and watching movies etc... That's why I'm not a big fan of afk skills, I mean, what's the point, you aren't even playing the game.