Tree Farming

manitstinks

So I havent been doing this since I was level 40ish farming. Im now 74 farming all from herbs. Can anyone give me tips on what trees / fruits to do? Don't waste your time telling me that maples need baskets of oranges - those I can research myself. Basically all I need is what trees / fruits, when should I do a run every day, and if you want, what you personally do yourself.

Manitstinks.gif

lolud0.pnglol2ni3.png

I do no trees, 85-92 farm from torstol only, 68-85 from snapdragon. But, what is your budget? Magic + palm + calquat is fast and expensive, willow + pinapple (I think) is cheap but slower.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I mostly only do herbs and calquat. Calquat is mad cheap for xp at around 2 gp/xp. Trees are too expensive for me, but fruit trees are manageable. I suggest curry, pineapple, or papayas. But if you want fast xp, do either snaps or torstols, palm trees, calquat, and magic trees.

If you need further info, Grimy's spreadsheet is always helpful. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tvyX6CDj7qNBx5xIA5ShA-w&output=html

Edit: to reply to your most recent post, maples and palms are around 9 gp/xp. Always do calquats and herbs still.

In that case I recommend yew (not paying)

How come I shouldn't pay?

Edit: I found a guide that says only 1 tree farm run a day (two maple runs). Do they really take that long to grow?

Roughly 14-18 hours. So yes, quite some time.

In that case I recommend yew (not paying)

How come I shouldn't pay?

Edit: I found a guide that says only 1 tree farm run a day (two maple runs). Do they really take that long to grow?

Trees with supercompost have 10% death rate. Generally I wouldn't pay the farmer if the pay fruit increases the gp/xp over 20%. Magic+coconut, palm+papaya, calquat+berry costs about 10-15% extra, yew+spines cost like 40% more.

Fruit trees take about twice as long to grow compared to regular trees (15 hours or so) Calquat is like 19-20.

For farming you have to ask yourself how quickly do you want to finish the skill? Do you hate having to do a routine activity everyday (i.e a tree run). If no, then you're probably better off doing it cheaper but slower.

As for regular tree runs, if you feel you could do 2 runs a day since they only take 3-4hrs to grow you can then think about doing 2 willows instead of 1 maple tree run for example. Similar xp, but significantly cheaper.

But choosing how much you want to spend on it & how much xp you want, really depends on how much you like/dislike a 5-10min run every day.

I personally do 2-3 willow tree runs when i remember and a calquat & pineapples each day when i remember(protecting all since it's guaranteed xp and relatively cheap). It's around 60k xp a day I think. However at that pace it should coincide with my other skills that I am also raising for effigies.

There are various efficiency values to take into account, but for farming I believe it's skewed a lot more by how much you like/hate that 5-10minute run per day. If you hate it, prepare to do yew/palms, if you don't mind it, do it cheap & slow and invest that extra 10gp/xp you save, in another skill for a faster method in something you do dislike.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

In that case I recommend yew (not paying), palm (paying with papaya), and calquat (paying with poison ivy berries) Cost will be 11-12 gp/xp

Basically if you pay for yews, you might as well boost up to magics and pay for them. As an example, planting yews (no payment) is 10gp/xp, wihle having payments is 20gp/xp. Along with that, and remember this is just an example, planting magics (no payment) is 21 gp/xp, and having payments is 23 gp/xp.

As such, just that extra xp (nearly double what yews give) is worth it, if you are planning to have the farmer watch yews.

I did magics, palms, and a calquat. Paid for them all. I preferred speed.

S2buxtG.png

Basically if you pay for yews, you might as well boost up to magics and pay for them. As an example, planting yews (no payment) is 10gp/xp, wihle having payments is 20gp/xp. Along with that, and remember this is just an example, planting magics (no payment) is 21 gp/xp, and having payments is 23 gp/xp.

As such, just that extra xp (nearly double what yews give) is worth it, if you are planning to have the farmer watch yews.

This.

Yews are a waste imo.

Calquats are excellent experience too; if you choose to pay for them it might be useful to remember that you can get the payments for *free* from bushes. --> Ardougne cloak will tele you right beside a patch for convenience sake.

If you wish to save money, willows or possibly maples are an option (willows being pretty much the minimum I would recommend).

As far as fruit trees go, anything from pineapple to papaya is decent, depending on how much you're willing to spend.

It's also useful to remember that you can do herb/allotment runs every 80 minutes or so; torstol being the best xp (though risky). I can recommend lantadyme or snapdragons for lower risk. Watermelons are good if you're willing to spend the time on them.

Fruit tree runs you generally do once a day (start the mornings with a "big" farming run along all your patches; fruit, tree, herb), then you could do 2-3 tree runs (depending on the trees you farm), and x amount of herb/allotment runs depending on the time you play.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Just remembering to do the run is the hard part.

Here's the method I used:

[spoiler=Sheet]Farming_times_p1.jpg

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

In that case I recommend yew (not paying), palm (paying with papaya), and calquat (paying with poison ivy berries) Cost will be 11-12 gp/xp

i agree with this. you should also farm torstols at 85. be sure to get a scroll of life.

my records suggest the death rate is closer to 15% than to 10%.

i agree with this. you should also farm torstols at 85. be sure to get a scroll of life.

my records suggest the death rate is closer to 15% than to 10%.

Wouldn't snaps be better for regular patches and torsts for My Arm's patch then? Unless of course you have access to those new farming juju potions. My friend has had a record run of 65 herbs with that thing so far :lol:

I would strongly suggest papaya's over pineapples. The payment is still very cheap (pineaples, which you can get for free from del monte during your farm run), you get a nice end product (9 papaya's each with an ent), which sells for a decent amount of money. Also, when the scroll of life decides to work, you get a nice 40k, in stead of a measly 10k, or whatever the price of pineapples is.

For trees, I did yews, since they're not that much more expensive compared to maples.

Herbs: torstols, but it might have changed with this new update, seeds gotten very expensive,meaning you should only farm with those pots.

Calquats are also very nice, cheap, and a big chunk of xp each visit;

I would strongly suggest papaya's over pineapples. The payment is still very cheap (pineaples, which you can get for free from del monte during your farm run), you get a nice end product (9 papaya's each with an ent), which sells for a decent amount of money. Also, when the scroll of life decides to work, you get a nice 40k, in stead of a measly 10k, or whatever the price of pineapples is.

For trees, I did yews, since they're not that much more expensive compared to maples.

Herbs: torstols, but it might have changed with this new update, seeds gotten very expensive,meaning you should only farm with those pots.

Calquats are also very nice, cheap, and a big chunk of xp each visit;

This is pretty much what I do, but I'm too much of a pansy to plant Torstols in any but the Trollheim Patch, and I also tack on a Bush/Cactus run at the end. It takes like 3 minutes to visit the 4 patches, and you stockpile a bunch of poison ivy berries for calquat trees plus and those cactus spines stack up - especially with ent support

I don't look at costs, just farm the trees my kingdom provides.

I always pay the farmer for regular trees, as the payments are easy to get (I never buy them). Getting them provides farming xp as well.

I'm very not into efficiency as you can see. Yet I managed to get to ~400K from 99 farming anyway. Just an alternative if you don't give a rat's bottom about gp/xp, xp/h and all that shizzle...

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

what im doing is maples/pineapples/calquat with several herb runs through the day.

i only pay the farmer for the calquat, i pick my own berries for payment.

its ~52k xp/run, and you can usually do two maple runs a day since fruit trees/calquat take much longer.

maple - 3,400 xp, 31k 9 gp/xp

yew - 7,100 xp, 92k 13 gp/xp/ 10 cactus spines

pineapple - 4,650 xp, 9.2k 2gp/xp/ 10 watermelon

papaya - 6,200 xp, 42k 7gp/xp

calquat 12,200 xp, 32k 3gp/xp/ 8 poison ivy

5x trees/run yews = 35,500xp/475k

-

5x trees/run maples = 17,000xp/155k

5x fruit trees/run pineapples = 23,250xp/46k

1x calquat = 12,200 xp/32k

70,950 xp/553k ~ 7.7gp/xp (yews)

-

52,450 xp/233k ~ 4.4gp/xp (maples)

if youre cheap and dont have a specific goal, or dont mind taking longer, just use maples.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

You can also look at marginal cost going from one tree to the next:

Upgrading from Orange to Curry you pay 230gp for 430 extra XP, so that's about 0.5 gp/xp.

From Curry to Pineapple you pay 9500gp for 1700 extra XP, so that's a marginal cost of 5.6 gp/xp.

From Pineapple to Papaya is about 35000gp difference for 1540XP, so the cost is 22.7gp/xp. Even if you sell 6 papayas, marginal cost is still 26000gp, which is 16.9gp/xp.

Is that extra 1540XP per tree when upgrading from pineapple to papaya really worth 17gp/xp to you?

Veziv.png