Defense update and warring

AncientLegion

December Behind the Scenes

We have recognised an imbalance between the potential damage per minute (DPM) and damage capacity (DC) of higher-level players. The rate of damage that you can deal at high levels is far greater than the rate of damage you can withstand' date=' especially when in a multiplayer environment. NPCs and boss monsters can deal with this issue because their life points can reach far beyond 990, but players' life points cannot. Dealing with this imbalance will be done in several ways, with the first of those ways being introduced this month in the form of damage soaking.

In what will be a huge addition to the Defence skill and defensive equipment, we're aiming to add damage soaking stats (currently only applied to the chaotic, eagle-eye and farseer kiteshields) to the majority of head, body, leg and shield slot equipment. Damage soaking will help reduce all incoming damage values over 200 life points, with higher grades of equipment offering a greater percentage of 'soak', and with members' equipment offering the greatest percentage of all.[/quote']

Seems to me like this will be a definite step backward for warring, since KO's will be very difficult (especially for mid-level clans like AL) and the wars' focus will be more on levels/numbers instead of warring skills (transitioning, careful pile selecting, etc.). On the other hand, perhaps it won't have as much of an impact as some clanners out there are saying. Discuss.

It sounds terrible and like the ruination of the clan world but I wouldn't worry about the effects until it actually happens. It could end up that clans have to be utilize better strategies rather than just relying on 300 opts.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

It sounds terrible and like the ruination of the clan world but I wouldn't worry about the effects until it actually happens. It could end up that clans have to be utilize better strategies rather than just relying on 300 opts.

I suppose it would make all styles more valuable at least.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's a great help for those who have troubles tanking, but to everyone else it's a terrible idea. Just think how long matched opts wars last now and how they will last after this update. Not to mention when your opponent has the lead there will be less of a chance of you coming back from it. I'm sure there's many points why this is a bad idea but those are just a few off the top of my head.

j0xPu5R.png

I dislike this idea lmao... They will just hit the clan world very hard after this. I'm sure there will be no trouble for people not being able to tank but with the cost of loosing the k0 power really seems stupid to me and will be dumb.

cafq0zh5.gifElite Member of Ascension | hrkot2.gifSenior Member of Silent Ember | 3145bsw.jpgOld School of TPR

unled2hm.png

My reading of this update is that it will only soak hits when they are above 200. Which is incredibly unlikely unless you're sniping with a corrupt weapon.

It won't affect F2P. It is an extremely needed update for P2P. Therefore, good update!

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

I'm telling you guys, this particular soaking change will have little to no effect on f2p warring. They way jagex does their 'soaking' items, they ignore 200 damage to start with, and only then does it begins to soak. And even then, it doesn't even soak a lot. So, unless you guys consistently hit well over 200 with your rune scimis, it's not even going to make a noticeable change as far as f2p warring goes. Now, I'm sure Jagex will try to mess stuff up further in the future because of how they worded it, but hey, this one thing isn't going to be as catastrophic as some people are making it out to be.

The things suffering the biggest hits from this update (lol pun) are going to be speccing with things like armadyl godswords which give one gigantic hitsplat. Things like dragon claws won't be affected very much, though, because the hit is divided into four splats. Also, pures (who won't be soaking because they don't have defense) will take a left jab because everyone else will be soaking and they won't be. Although like I said, it is only going to work if the hit is more than 200 so again, there isn't going to be much change to begin with.

Proud Gladiator

gladzorgrespected.png

F2P isn't going to see much of a change, it simply doesn't need much in the way of damage soaking and the wording in the bts implies that we will have access to only a tiny fraction of this damage soaking armor. The max hit with corr baxes is what, 28? 32 maybe? And these being so infrequent because of low str bonuses in f2p? It's P2P that will be the most affected by this. Depending upon its implementation, it could either further drive P2P into nothingness or actually spark new interest.

It sounds terrible and like the ruination of the clan world

It's always good to see a Chicken Little.

hzvjpwS.gif

F2P isn't going to see much of a change, it simply doesn't need much in the way of damage soaking and the wording in the bts implies that we will have access to only a tiny fraction of this damage soaking armor. The max hit with corr baxes is what, 28? 32 maybe? And these being so infrequent because of low str bonuses in f2p? It's P2P that will be the most affected by this. Depending upon its implementation, it could either further drive P2P into nothingness or actually spark new interest.

It sounds terrible and like the ruination of the clan world

It's always good to see a Chicken Little.

Dungeoneering weapons can go up to 370 and it's used a lot more then corrupt in wars. It's not necessarily about the damage soaking, rather about the fact people who didn't used to be the best tank now can greatly improve it by seeing a difference in hits because of the icons that show up, this will make warring more boring.

pieter00777.jpg

tpr.png

12,079 Profile views. Get on my level.

It won't have a huge effect on warring, but it will have some affect to the use of melee gravite weapons, so now clans can stop complaining about them PLEASE.

And I wasn't aware AL was considered a mid-level clan???

43fdsfsig.png

Warlord of Lethality, Member of Silent Ember

will barely have any effect in f2p, since it only goes for hits above 200. With magic you can hit 160 (without dung), with range you can hit 180 (without dung) and with melee you can hit 200-210 (without pot, pray and dung)

lightningcopy.png

Dungeoneering weapons can go up to 370 and it's used a lot more then corrupt in wars. It's not necessarily about the damage soaking, rather about the fact people who didn't used to be the best tank now can greatly improve it by seeing a difference in hits because of the icons that show up, this will make warring more boring.

Safe PvP wasn't in my mind when I made that point, and that's normally the only place you'd see gravite used. But sure, you're right in that it's frequently used in clan wars. So you'll have even more boring CWA fights unless, as other people have pointed out, you capitalize on styles. No one wants to have boring fights. All this update seems to hearken is that it will grab the outdated clans by the scruff and force them to get away from melee binds/range (or god forbid, simply melee/binds) and into all styles which has been the trend of the past 4 years anyway. Not a significant impact since most clans nowadays prefer to use two styles in fights.

A bad tank isn't a bad tank because he gets combo'ed. He's a bad tank because he can't tank. Eating, detection, prayer switching, etc. So Average Joe will tank for an extra 30 seconds. That doesn't make him a better tank; he's still Average Joe (now with 30 second flavor!) because everyone else will get that same benefit.

hzvjpwS.gif

You guys are complaining already and I bet some of you havent actually read the update and understand what it means.

First the soaker will not trigger often. The damage soaker doesnt trigger until higher hits are done.

Second This will make people LESS likely to welfare as the better armour you wear the more you will soak. This will essentially push people to wear the best they can (within reason). Full rune > dhide in terms of potential soaking (should you get hit 200+)

Third people are saying its easier to tell what you are getting hit by most but that isnt necessarily true. People have quick prayers and when you put them up you will IMMEDIATELY get hit by the one you are praying the least. This is usually melee prayer and you will see yourself get hit by range, and/or mage more. People will assume they should switch to the icon thats coming up the most but when you switch your prayer to that style melee will start hitting you a great deal more thus possibly becoming the one hitting you the most. A person is still going to need to be aware of the style ratio of a clan they are fighting to actually be a tank much like it is now. The icons will be an indicator but by NO means will it actually take away from the ability to tank.

All this update seems to hearken is that it will grab the dinosaur clans by the scruff and force them to get away from melee binds/range (or god forbid, simply melee/binds) and into all styles which has been the trend of the past 4 years anyway.

I would wager that any "dinosaur" clan has been doing all styles longer than most of the clans have been alive. Just saying.....

flamesig.jpg

All this update seems to hearken is that it will grab the dinosaur clans by the scruff and force them to get away from melee binds/range (or god forbid, simply melee/binds) and into all styles which has been the trend of the past 4 years anyway.

I would wager that any "dinosaur" clan has been doing all styles longer than most of the clans have been alive. Just saying.....

You are making the assumption that by dinosaur I mean old clans like THE. That is your fault, not mine. I am talking about those who insist on clinging to standards two years gone by, which I explained in my post. THE, obviously, is not one of them.

hzvjpwS.gif

You are making the assumption that by dinosaur I mean old clans like THE. That is your fault, not mine. I am talking about those who insist on clinging to standards two years gone by, which I explained in my post. THE, obviously, is not one of them.

Geez if you think clans that hold onto stuff 2-4 years old are dinosaurs what does that make clans older than that? :-(

We technically fall under that category for many things. Just not the example you are using right now in terms of using styles.

Change will always make people feel uncomfortable but it is inevitable. Its whether people are willing to accept certain things and adapt that will cause them to survive or not. In many ways I agree with you but I just didnt like some of the wording I guess. Was attempting to make a snide joke but guess it didnt come off well.

Dont mind me (back to my hole)

flamesig.jpg

Geez if you think clans that hold onto stuff 2-4 years old are dinosaurs what does that make clans older than that? :-(

Fair enough. I should have changed the wording to something else. 'outdated' perhaps. I'll go edit that now. Sorry for the confusion Adrian.

hzvjpwS.gif

Safe PvP wasn't in my mind when I made that point, and that's normally the only place you'd see gravite used. But sure, you're right in that it's frequently used in clan wars. So you'll have even more boring CWA fights unless, as other people have pointed out, you capitalize on styles. No one wants to have boring fights. All this update seems to hearken is that it will grab the outdated clans by the scruff and force them to get away from melee binds/range (or god forbid, simply melee/binds) and into all styles which has been the trend of the past 4 years anyway. Not a significant impact since most clans nowadays prefer to use two styles in fights.

A bad tank isn't a bad tank because he gets combo'ed. He's a bad tank because he can't tank. Eating, detection, prayer switching, etc. So Average Joe will tank for an extra 30 seconds. That doesn't make him a better tank; he's still Average Joe (now with 30 second flavor!) because everyone else will get that same benefit.

I find your use of the word "Joe" amusing as we all know: Joe can't tank.

The update doesn't say this would specifically affect p2p armour only though...(in response to other posts).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti