The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Discussion Thread

sephiroth_king

Also, someday someone can explain to me how full ebony, daedric, and dragon armour is not automatically intimidating, or how any mugger on the road can see me on Shadowmere, or even better, Arvak, and go "yeah, I think I can take them".

What part of riding around on an undead nightmare horse in exotic armour suggests I can't fight?

And they even have the audacity to ask if someone stole your sweet roll :roll:

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

Also, someday someone can explain to me how full ebony, daedric, and dragon armour is not automatically intimidating, or how any mugger on the road can see me on Shadowmere, or even better, Arvak, and go "yeah, I think I can take them".

What part of riding around on an undead nightmare horse in exotic armour suggests I can't fight?

And they even have the audacity to ask if someone stole your sweet roll :roll:

This is why I use the Guard Dialogue Overhaul mod. They're so much nicer and more respectful once you become thane of their respective city.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Okay, yes, I can see someone attacking me to steal my armour and sweet ride. That comes with the territory. But I don't expect it to be a single mugger with a puny knife. The assassins get a bit better credit, since this is what they do, though they would have more luck taking me down with stealth rather than engaging me in head to head combat, since I am at least as powerful as a dragon priest.

No, the only people who should really be taking a swing at me are bands of people on par with the companions, or someone with some serious voodoo of their own, such as being a dragonborn, a powerful undead like a dragon priest, or maybe a daedric lord. A daedric lord would be a pretty freaking tough fight. They also can't be defeated being truly immortal. I would however like the chance to send one to the soul cairn, and see if the ideal masters couldn't hold them. Assuming they have a soul at least. Probably need something a bit more potent than a black soul stone to pull that off though. Perhaps Azuras star could manage it. Actually, assuming they have souls, that might work to kill them if you can deliver it to the masters rather than it going back to oblivion when they are destroyed. The Ideal masters consume souls, which might permanently prevent resurrection. Assuming they are powerful enough to do such a thing of course.

And I've never been asked if anyone stole my sweet-role.

Either you haven't been paying attention to guard's rambling, or a mod removed that message for you, or you haven't been living in cities long enough :P

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Either you haven't been paying attention to guard's rambling, or a mod removed that message for you, or you haven't been living in cities long enough :P

Or perhaps I think you're all frothing at the mouth with crazy (watch it, the next time I play every single guard is going to ask me if my sweet role was stolen).

If I had to guess, it's tied to one of your skills or a faction alignment. For example, I would never get a comment related to a high alchemy level because the last time I made a potion was summer of last year. In the same vein, I would never have heard a comment from thieves guild association (which, if I had to guess, is probably what this comment comes from) because I have never done more than the intro quest to completion. I mostly get combat style questions, comments about some of the quests I have completed. I haven't even gotten arrow to the knee or that other something to the something comment in several hours worth of play. My guard comments are full of other things.

Any maybe I have gotten the roll comment once or twice and forgot about it, but it's certainly not a common one, or I would know. I doubt it's a mod, since I don't run any mods that affect gameplay at all. Every one of my mods deals with textures or other visual effects.

Oh, and if it were only common in certain cities, I visit Windhelm and Solitude to near exclusion of the others. I don't like a lot of the people in other holds, and if I had my way, Markarth, Falkreath, and Windhelm would have all lost their royals (where Riften would be short everyone except the Yarl who is the only honest resident). I've literally never talked to anyone in Winterold, except getting into the colledge.

Does anyone have Enhanced Cities and Town Mod collection installed? What are your views on it, I like alot of it but it is ruined as they put in way too many trees making the towns and cities look like forests and it makes me lag alot.

Also i am doing the imperial questline, I am up to the bit where you blackmail Anuriel (the Riften Steward). I dont understand what Anuriel is doing wrong? What is she doing that enables me to blackmail her?

SUPER.gif

Does anyone have Enhanced Cities and Town Mod collection installed? What are your views on it, I like alot of it but it is ruined as they put in way too many trees making the towns and cities look like forests and it makes me lag alot.

Also i am doing the imperial questline, I am up to the bit where you blackmail Anuriel (the Riften Steward). I dont understand what Anuriel is doing wrong? What is she doing that enables me to blackmail her?

I've tried the Enhanced Cities and towns, but I removed most of them. I have kept the one for whiterun though, as I found that one to be pretty reasonable. I also kept riverwood enhanced for a while, but it actually has a graphical glitch in it near the sawmill and it makes it very difficult to find your way around, since that one goes all out rain forest on you. If your looking for something to spice up the cities a bit without going overboard, try detailed outskirts and detailed cities. It's the same sort of idea, mostly adding some fauna and what not, but the author of those mods was a lot more subtle about it. I still have those ones going and quite like them.

It's a shame that there isn't a lot else that can be done, aside from redesigning the kits that the cities are built from (which could be quite cool, but an insane amount of work to do properly).

I've tried the Enhanced Cities and towns, but I removed most of them. I have kept the one for whiterun though, as I found that one to be pretty reasonable. I also kept riverwood enhanced for a while, but it actually has a graphical glitch in it near the sawmill and it makes it very difficult to find your way around, since that one goes all out rain forest on you. If your looking for something to spice up the cities a bit without going overboard, try detailed outskirts and detailed cities. It's the same sort of idea, mostly adding some fauna and what not, but the author of those mods was a lot more subtle about it. I still have those ones going and quite like them.

It's a shame that there isn't a lot else that can be done, aside from redesigning the kits that the cities are built from (which could be quite cool, but an insane amount of work to do properly).

Cheers for the help, ye i dont understand why enhanced cities is so popular, it just puts a forest in the cities which make them look incredibly stupid. I am currently trying out Beautiful Whiterun and Riften which seems alright.

Does anyone know the anwser to this "Also i am doing the imperial questline, I am up to the bit where you blackmail Anuriel (the Riften Steward). I dont understand what Anuriel is doing wrong? What is she doing that enables me to blackmail her?"

Finally, not sure what combos i should go with for parts of the houses in Hearthfire, eg Kitchen, Armoury, Alchemy Tower. Any help would be much appreciated.

SUPER.gif

In truth, I've been using the detailed cities and outskirts mods for so long (being some of the first I ever got) I don't remember what the vanilla cities look like. And just to be sure, the one I use is this one, which is quite light compared to most. Less forest and more a tree or shrub here and there to make the cities and their immediate surroundings (with the partner mod) a little less barren. I also took a closer look at the mods I am subscribed to, and which ones are active. It looks like the whiterun mod is being totally overwritten by the other set, since the picture of what it should be doesn't match at all what I have, so I guess I need to turf that one (if it weren't being overwritten, I would have removed it too, a bit over the top for me).

The Hearthfire houses are...interesting. You can't remove a wing, and you can't properly preview anything, which I find quite annoying. If you haven't already, look it up on one of the wikis (such as this page, which gives an overview of each extension and what it covers).

My House has an Enchanters Tower (west), Trophy Room (North), Armour (east). In truth, the only room I am really happy with is the armoury. Of note are the Library, Kitchen, and Greenhouse. The Kitchen and Greenhouse each have a uniqe feature (oven and plant growing). The Library is the only room other than the main hall which has a proper bookcase, and the hall only has one, so if you want to display a lot of books (more than 72 I think), you either need a library or you'll be making piles.

If I could, I would probably replace the enchanters tower with a greenhouse, for something a bit different and kind of cool, and either keep the trophy room as well, or replace it with the alchemy tower just so that I still have a tower at all. That said, I am happy with my house, which is slowly being completed, and the armory makes up for everything else. My weapon collection has actually expanded into the rest of the house.

I made an alchemy tower first but now i realise its pretty pointless, is there anyway i can remove it via a mod? If not, if i uninstall Hearthfire and then reinstall it, will that remove it without breaking my game? (I am happy to restart my house from scratch)

SUPER.gif

Why o why is Deathbrand armor light, yet it uses Ebony armor perk....

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

The house is part of your save game. Removing hearthfire unfortunately wont remove the information from the save game itself, unless someone wrote a program that modifies saves to remove it. There might also be a console command for it I suppose, it would make sense to me to have them for adding and removing hearthfire stuff for testing purposes.

If not, then you would have to go back to an earlier save >.>

EDIT: Took a look, and there is at least one way to remove the house from your save. Uninstall Hearthfire (I imagine just disabling the hearthfire esm probably works for this) and save your game. The hearthfire data will no longer be part of the game, and so your house wont be included in the new save. You'll obviously want to loot your house first, and it would probably be a good idea to move anyone living in your house to another location that is not part of hearthfire rather than rely on the game to handle the problem gracefully. I am guessing this will also reset your adoptions.

Does the ENB Mod make Skyrim lag alot?

Depends on which variant you get. Some are performance friendly (don't look anywhere near as good), while others are stunningly beautiful but drop you down to about 30 fps or lower (if you're not a 10/10 perfect gaming rig).

I myself have the Project MATSO ENB and have turned off my Depth of Field and Anti-Aliasing to improve my performance. (I get around 40 fps now). For reference, here are some of my screenshots on Steam so you can see what it looks like.

Edited by Ieyfura

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

• 2 weeks later...

When trying to build my house at Winstad Manor i encountered a glitch where nothing would appear whatever i bult. I looked it up on Elder Scrolls Wiki and found this.

After going to the drafting table and selecting Small House Layout, the quest arrow stays on the drafting table. Then when building the house at the workbench the house doesn't show up.

Anyone know how to fix this I am on PC

SUPER.gif

If your running the unnoficial heathfire patch (and you really should be running unofficial patches for any dlc you have, and the main game as well) then no, I have no idea. If your not, try the patch and see if it helps. You might also try reverting to a save prior to building, maybe doing a quest (or even fast traveling a couple times to other cities) and then trying to build again. You might need to do this even if you did install the patch, as it may need you to start over again to work.

Not sure the patch would help though. I know at least one of the wikies seems to mention it in the bugs section when a problem is solved by one of the unofficial patches (though maybe try looking the bug up in the other wiki).

I got dragon born, but I've realized I don't really want to do that yet. I think I might change my stance on Ebony being my favourite armour, and go Daedric. Really, I just want to look more intimidating, though I think Ebony will still be the armour of choice when I am doing assassin or thief work. I also feel like, if I am going to be going toe to toe with another dragonborn (I assume this happens), I should probably pick up that spell breaker shield. On previous characters I've used it mostly to defend against dragon fire, but wards can also block shouts, which has made that shield of particular use against dragon priests. I don't have the manna to sustain my own ward, and not getting blasted off my feet would be pretty awesome (or worse, having my weapons knocked out of my hands).

My list right now looks like I'll be getting spell breaker, and maybe kill some dragon pirests. I also need some daedra hearts and a butt load of ebony to make myself more armour. And another armour manikan if I have room for more. I also want the reusable soul gem thing, ideally the black one. I'm also looking to see if I can remove the penalty for being in the sun as a vampire (or more specifically, the stupid glowing effect) because I do still want to be going into this immortal, but I don't want to play the game entirely at night, especially not with the Climates of Tamriel mod running. Just too dark.

Also, I finally took a look at my mods...and changed almost nothing :lol:

I did try my hand at INI tweaking, using this site, because it should (if you do it correctly) produce ini files that wont blow up your client. I think I need to modify the thread configuration though to leave one core for the OS and everything else that isn't the game, because it's stated stuttering when you first enter open areas, and I think during dragon combat. I thought about using ENB as well, but all the good information is interspersed with pictures rendered on rigs running graphics cards with several times the power of my own, which makes me sad. I'll also have to compare to the configurations I was using, since it's possible my graphics card is just being pushed beyond it's limits as well as is. It's a decent card, but I already had it running near it's limits. One note, if you edit your ini files manually I think just opening options up in game will reset them to be inline with your in game settings, so keep backups of both your original ini files and the modified sets. I cut out a couple mods, such as lush trees (which frankly might be going right back in) and a 'turn this village into the rainforrest' mod which wasn't even being used. I also added a mod to double game saturation (there is another one that double contrast, but you can't use both at once, and I decided I like saturation more).

To my dismay, there is no Warburg map for the new dlc. Fortunately, the game doesn't really care and gives me the normal map, though I still have a modified ini that prohibits things such as rotating or tilting. Still, it's serviceable I think. I do miss being able to see all the roads though.

When trying to build my house at Winstad Manor i encountered a glitch where nothing would appear whatever i bult. I looked it up on Elder Scrolls Wiki and found this.

After going to the drafting table and selecting Small House Layout, the quest arrow stays on the drafting table. Then when building the house at the workbench the house doesn't show up.

In the console type in

SetStage <quest id> <stage value>

So in the skyrim wiki look up the name of the quest you're on. It should give you the quest id and the stage values. If it doesn't, you could find them somewhere online if you look. Though you should be running the unofficial patches found on the http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/. Unlike other mods, they don't change gameplay, they're just packs of bug fixes.

In the console type in

SetStage <quest id> <stage value>

So in the skyrim wiki look up the name of the quest you're on. It should give you the quest id and the stage values. If it doesn't, you could find them somewhere online if you look. Though you should be running the unofficial patches found on the http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/. Unlike other mods, they don't change gameplay, they're just packs of bug fixes.

I am running the unofficial patches, cheers i will try it tomorrow and let you know the results.

SUPER.gif

I did the command and used this link http://www.uesp.net/...d_Your_Own_Home . I got a bit mixed up between the Pale and Hjaalmarch so i used stage 30 for both on them each on a different stage, none of them worked. I wasnt sure which stage i was suppose to use?

EDIT: It was Real Wildlife Skyrim Mod which was conflicting with it. On removal Hearthfire works fine.

SUPER.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Tropical Skyrim mod and omg...FarCryRim haha :P Probably almost melted my card because of the amount of flora and fauna added.

I got so lost, I couldn't tell where I was without opening the map.

Forgetting to disable Frostfall was immersion-killer.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

• 4 weeks later...

Ive played about 150 hours of Skyrim over the past 3 weeks. I think about 20 hours of that is just me leaving my PC on idle while i do other things, but even still it's a lot of time spent. This game is awesome. One of the first games in a very long time i find my self captured by. Today i discovered my love for Conjuration after finally getting it to 90. The Dremora Lord is awesome. It totally wrecks in combat. I'm at level 63 at the moment and i am yet to touch the Companions Quests, but i hope it involves a lot of combat opportunities so i can make good use of the beast. For now i'm actually just trying to clear out as many of the dungeons as i can, trying to level up some other skills slowly. I made some Daedric weapons earlier (Bow, 2x Sword, 2x Daggers) but i can't really see myself using anything but the daggers for sneak attacks to be honest. I am playing on Expert difficulty and i've not yet run into any situations that gave me too much of a headache so using weapons and armour that's as good as Daedric might just really kill the game for me right now. Besides, i think Blades Armour and Sword looks so cool that it makes up for the lack in stats :D

• 2 months later...