The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Discussion Thread

sephiroth_king

A really really big DLC might be worth that much. I feel obligated to point out that this would bring the total pricetag of the game up to $105 if you buy everything.

The way I see it, the only thing that would justify this kind of price tag would be massive world building. GTA IV already proved that you can add a ridiculous amount into an existing world for a lot less, which includes game mechanic additions.

A really really big DLC might be worth that much. I feel obligated to point out that this would bring the total pricetag of the game up to $105 if you buy everything.

The way I see it, the only thing that would justify this kind of price tag would be massive world building. GTA IV already proved that you can add a ridiculous amount into an existing world for a lot less, which includes game mechanic additions.

105$ is what a new ps3 game costs in norway, without any packs :(

105$ is what a new ps3 game costs in norway, without any packs :(

Yikes! Is it the same for computers, or just consoles (or that particular one).

Well, that is if you buy it new. Luckily games get cheaper quite fast. For example, this summer I bought Deus Ex: HR for around $30.

And for computers it is about $20 cheaper.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

With the exception of Skyrim...

It has been nearly a year since its release, and it STILL costs $59.99 on steam (barring special discounts, such as Summer sale)

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Long time no see bari, Nice pose :P

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

• 2 weeks later...

what races are looked up to by citizens? and what ones are looked down on? what race is best for archery?

Nords are the only ones that are looked up to by most people in big cities (except minorities). Imperials are looked up to in Western Skyrim (which is Imperial-controlled). Argonians, Dark Elves and High Elves are looked down upon, especially in Windhelm. Best race for archery is Wood Elves, which start with a +10 bonus in archery.

• Like 1
22031_s.gif

are there any super active skyrim forums? What kind of bow is good at the start? What other skills should I incorporate with archery?

1: Don't know. Bethesda's own site? UESP?

2: You can start with a longbow and scavenge better bows as you go along, there's a pair of towers with a bridge over a river southeast of Whiterun that has a leveled bow, for example. If that's too slow, try smithing. Your main problem will be arrows unless you have Dawnguard or are on the PC, because then you can either smith them or get a mod that lets you. If that's not possible, there's a fletcher in Solitude.

3: Sneak is very good with archery, at higher levels you can more or less one hit everything that isn't boss-level. It's not exactly easy to get to that point, though. Light armor, another weapon skill for when they get within melee range, enchantment, and smithing? I might be giving bad advice here, I don't know for sure.

are there any super active skyrim forums? What kind of bow is good at the start? What other skills should I incorporate with archery?

1: Don't know. Bethesda's own site? UESP?

2: You can start with a longbow and scavenge better bows as you go along, there's a pair of towers with a bridge over a river southeast of Whiterun that has a leveled bow, for example. If that's too slow, try smithing. Your main problem will be arrows unless you have Dawnguard or are on the PC, because then you can either smith them or get a mod that lets you. If that's not possible, there's a fletcher in Solitude.

3: Sneak is very good with archery, at higher levels you can more or less one hit everything that isn't boss-level. It's not exactly easy to get to that point, though. Light armor, another weapon skill for when they get within melee range, enchantment, and smithing? I might be giving bad advice here, I don't know for sure.

1. I don't use any Skyrim forums, so I can't answer this.

2. I made a wood elf archer assassin as my third character. The moment I got into Riverwood, I pickpocketed Delphine for her orcish bow. Just get ready to save a lot. After that, work on your smithing for better bows.

3. Work on your six thief skills if you want to be a stealthy archer. I also recommend working on illusion a bit so that you get access to invisibility and muffle for those moments when you are too lazy to sneak. Also, if you get a few perks in Enchanting, Alchemy, and Smithing and max those skills out, the daedric bows you can create are powerful enough to one shot dragons. I definitely recommended looking up how to make extremely OP bows, they're fun to play around with.

22031_s.gif

Noticed the steam sale today, but that's okay, beucase it's the only day that matters. Decided that since dawn guard no longer felt like highway robbery that I'd spring for it, and hearthfire too. Fairly pleased about that.

For some reason I can't comprehend, I touched the load order for my skyrim mods (almost all of which are graphical). I'm not sure what possessed me to do this, other than to slot in a patch for hearthfire where it should go, since they were working just splendid before. It's is also possible that hearthfire and dawnguard might have destabalized my game a bit, so maybe I'm not allowed to run 3 water mods (plus one that makes you drop when you get out of the water) anymore. I even got nexus, which is actually next useless for me. I thought there was like a grand list of ideal load orders and known conflicts, so I kind of expected it to sort the plugins for me. I've got them in the most logical order now from my perspective, and I'm going to go through some of them and eliminate the ones that are doing similar things because I really do have a ridiculous number of graphical mods running. I'm not giving up the aurora mod though.

IIRC, the BOSS utility is a great way to sort out your mods so that they aren't conflicting with each other. I haven't looked into it anytime recently though, but I'd imagine the project is still up to date.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

IIRC, the BOSS utility is a great way to sort out your mods so that they aren't conflicting with each other. I haven't looked into it anytime recently though, but I'd imagine the project is still up to date.

Wyre Bash is another big one.

Actually, I think that one is better. I looked up BOSS and it really doesn't look like the creator is keeping up with it too well. so Randox, I'd use Alg's suggestion. It really is a good program for dealing with conflicting load orders.

On another note, I followed a few channels on youtube that used to cover constant mod releases (in a "Mod Spotlight" sorta fashion) and as of late videos have really been far and few between compared to before. Does anyone know of any current youtubers that are constantly reviewing mods on a daily/every other day basis or such?

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Well, for now I think I have it sorted. Most of my mods come from two graphical packages, so I just did what I did when I set the original order, and used the order they were in that package (which is the order they come in I think). The other one fit in fairly well with that. Now, I did grab some extras while I was out tracking down my order, so we'll see if it's still stable after that, but it seems to be working. I also cut out a specific mod I was probably never going to use (extra spells, I play as a warrior).

So yeah, it might get unstable again once I finish bringing in the last couple mods, but I think I can make it work. If not I'll definitely check out that Wyre Bash. I also may have original confused the nexus program with BOSS.

EDIT: Started with BOSS since it seems to be the active one. I have a superfluous mod (included in another), and there are two that are not compaitable with a DLC (one of ecah).

For bonus points, I now know what was causing my game to stutter occasionally. I thought it was the sonow mod, but it's actually my sound mods, and removing them might not fix the problem, at least not on this play through, so not particularly pleased about that.

I had to get something because I want to use the unofficial patches, and apparently they are quite particular about load order if you use them.

3. Work on your six thief skills if you want to be a stealthy archer. I also recommend working on illusion a bit so that you get access to invisibility and muffle for those moments when you are too lazy to sneak. Also, if you get a few perks in Enchanting, Alchemy, and Smithing and max those skills out, the daedric bows you can create are powerful enough to one shot dragons. I definitely recommended looking up how to make extremely OP bows, they're fun to play around with.

I know this might be a bit late, but if one has Dawnguard installed, I highly recommend going the left side of the Smithing tree than the right side, for sneaky characters (or anyone else really). Dragon parts are MUCH MUCH easier to come by (you can make Dragon bows and arrows in Dawnguard) than Daedric. I have had enough bones and scales to make me 3 sets of dragon armor and 4-5 sets of weapons without even hunting for them or completing the main line. I have yet to find enough Daedre hearts to make even 1 set of armor.

Also, light armor perks are more suited to sneaking, which Daedric lacks, they are heavy armor.

tim_chenw2.png

The gamefaqs board is pretty damn active given how long after release it is. http://www.gamefaqs....crolls-v-skyrim (360 board) or http://www.gamefaqs....crolls-v-skyrim (pc board) or http://www.gamefaqs....crolls-v-skyrim (ps3)

Just be warned that the regulars there can be complete dicks if you're in the wrong about lore or game storyline. Best to go in there making no assertions and being more neutral than those guys from futurama or they will attempt to eat you alive. Overall it's not a fun environment for someone like me, but you might like it more.

hzvjpwS.gif