[DevBlog] History of RuneScape: The First Four Years

Mil

They already got something wrong.

There was no deep wildy when members' first came out. That only came out after agility, due to the deep wildy course.

I'm pretty sure deep wildy came with members, that's why there is a fence and a gate.

I'm very pretty certain that the Deep Wilderness didn't come out with Tavelery and Catherby, though. It was added at some point with the Deep Wildy Agility Course. Especially since the teleport lever from Ardounge wasn't always there, right?

It's really been so long. Ardounge's release felt really great, this city just popped up out of nowhere with tons of things to do.

May 2002 the P2P Wildy Area came out (a couple weeks after Ardy came out), so just over 2 months after members was first released. Then Agility in Dec 2002.

How many runescape players does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the bulb and the other 49 to complain about how it was better before.

THE MODS THERE ARE COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOTS!

So why are you here?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh day one of the underground pass, I remember that day. And its also one of the few RSC things I have a screenshot to hand of right now.

questundergroundpass003sx1.png

I remember trying it and not doing it until weeks later, same with legends which I eventually did in mid 2003 (I think it was mid 2003).

Worst thing about classic was quest release days.. talking to npcs, or getting quest items.. eg dwarf remains on dwarf cannon release = hell.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

They already got something wrong.

There was no deep wildy when members' first came out. That only came out after agility, due to the deep wildy course.

I'm pretty sure deep wildy came with members, that's why there is a fence and a gate.

I'm very pretty certain that the Deep Wilderness didn't come out with Tavelery and Catherby, though. It was added at some point with the Deep Wildy Agility Course. Especially since the teleport lever from Ardounge wasn't always there, right?

It's really been so long. Ardounge's release felt really great, this city just popped up out of nowhere with tons of things to do.

May 2002 the P2P Wildy Area came out (a couple weeks after Ardy came out), so just over 2 months after members was first released. Then Agility in Dec 2002.

Wow, so they actually got a fact about their own game wrong then. Do these guys even play their own game? :rolleyes:

Of course I got my facts mixed up too <_<

It's a pity that they cleared their news archives, leaving only articles dating back to July 2002. Would have been nice to see write-ups about really early RS features (GoodMagic/EvilMagic, Influence, Bones to Bread spell etc)

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

As a consequence of the topic lots of the mid june '04 crowd congregated here =]

Deep wildy had the axe hut, does anyone still train there?

Still would have been neat to see their behind the scenes reasoning on the creation of the wilderness and any other ideas they had for helping the 'pk/npk stuck' people.

Also the effect of item banks, and why player owned houses took ~7 years to come.

It's a pity that they cleared their news archives, leaving only articles dating back to July 2002. Would have been nice to see write-ups about really early RS features (GoodMagic/EvilMagic, Influence, Bones to Bread spell etc)

Tip.it/runescape has all the updates since the release of RS ;)

just search the website =)

Ahhh day one of the underground pass, I remember that day. And its also one of the few RSC things I have a screenshot to hand of right now.

questundergroundpass003sx1.png

I remember trying it and not doing it until weeks later, same with legends which I eventually did in mid 2003 (I think it was mid 2003).

Worst thing about classic was quest release days.. talking to npcs, or getting quest items.. eg dwarf remains on dwarf cannon release = hell.

Yeah the one-person-talking-to-an-NPC-at-a-time was a huge headache. I remember when dyed capes were released and there were lines of people spam clicking Aggie to try to get dyes and colored capes were selling for quite a bit. Also, people were trading party hats for rune pickaxes when they first came out because it was so difficult to buy one from the shopkeeper.

td2sig.jpg

Very interesting blog. Makes me think about my earliest RS memories.

I *think* I actually started in 2005 or 2006. My school friend got me to play and I used to come over to his house and paid for members using my mobile phone. I don't remember very much at all, my first PROPER memories are from mid 2006 (Walked into the wilderness, got killed, never went back) and then early 2008 when I started playing the game for real like I do now. Before then I don't remember very much.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Very good blog and it does bring back memories.

When i started playing there were only a handfull of servers, I had no internet access at home so I was stuck using school internet, which took about 10-15 minutes to load the game.

In those first few months of playing I basically accieved nothing lol and the furthest from Lumbridge I got was to Alkarid (10 gp to come through this gate??? that'll take me ages to get that money!!)

Didnt start playing properly until the later months of 2002 when we got internet installed at home, and actually built a pretty decent character (had 50+ combats and decent other skills) then the account was stolen and banned :/

I made another account and progressed until around 2004/5, started playing less and less then evenually quit until late 2007 when I made this character and now this has surpassed all my previous characters put together, and I am 490k off my first ever 99 :D

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

Pretty cool. I started around dragon slayer. I'd like to find a small game again. Everyone knows everyone.

I started about two weeks before Dragon Slayer came out. It was a huge deal since that quest was far more difficult than any quest in the game at the time. I remember being level 56 combat when I finally got around to doing D slayer, and at that time I was a rune plate pure (1 magic) since you could still buy the map pieces/map and it wasn't until a little while later that Jagex started making "untradeable" quest items.

td2sig.jpg

The game is rich in history, they fail to mention the release of legends quest, or challenging quests, the release of KBD, players who were famous such as Bluerose13x for smithing and mining, merchanters.. so much that could be said, big clans of the era, bugs that they had to overcome for release, the funniest bugs that they encountered, the serious ones.

There's too much information Jagex chooses hold back that would be interesting for players, such as interesting content that never made it.

Yeah I would love for them to tell the business side of the dupe in 2003

lalalasig2.png

Not too sure why it have to be Andrew that plays the bad guy while Paul plays the good guy.

I think I started somewhere between after Falador is out and before fishing, karamja and wildness was out, not even sure what was the order.

The inevitable removal of PVP worlds still somewhat make me sad about losing to those self-claimed "nostalgia" dudes.