Grim_

Should Kingmaker continue?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Well, should it?

• Yes
    • No
    • [s]moderate[/s] undecided/ doesn't matter
    • Muffins!@!!!!!!!!1one
  2. 2. If no, then what system should be used?

• Pathfinder, again
    • Dresden Files rpg
    • Shadow run
    • Legend of the Five rings
    • FATAL

Well for one thing, the elemental bloodline isn't exactly what you would call good (there are worse iirc, like destined but not too many). I would steer away from magic missile and mage armor as well (more magic missile than mage armor) and instead put in something like enlarge person. Overall it's fairly good though.

Here's the character that I made if anyone's interested (you will need to edit the spells known though, it got kind of screwed up in the creation).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t1cduh55ps0gs7h/Cipriano.pdf

LNYvk.png

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Grim, could you rule on having a crocodile instead of a constrictor snake? This is with the Scalykind domain's serpent companion ability. They're both scaly. :P

I'm fine with it either way, but I'd like to know so I can roll it up.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

It says that you may choose a viper or constrictor snake animal companion. It would seem that you get the slightly more powerful constrictor snake rather than the crocodile.

On a side note I've found a semi decent use to the Fursona book, that is to say to create truly horrific monsters. So far I have a sea elf that has:

an aqua jet (it intakes water and expels it to move at 400' a round when submerged),

a grappling tongue (lets the beast grapple with a 15' reach),

blood sucking (Exactly what it says on the tin),

an ink cloud,

an ovipositor,

a trait that lets it regurgitate the blood it sucks,

an electric field which allows it to deal 1d6 electrical damage when it touches something,

the disadvantage of a foul smell

and a wendigo template.

Now think about that for a second. try to imagine it.

LNYvk.png

I'd like to mention throughout these duels I've not changed my character. I have gone to but then realised I don't want to. Only things that change is his loadout, and it's mainly the potions I want to start with.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Right, I'm playing a Monk 3/Fighter 1 with an Intelligent Temple Sword blatantly copying Nightblood from Warbreaker. I'm debating whether to make it size: Large for a Two-Hander.

EDIT: Due to Pathfinder making a stupid mistaking and giving me no way to calculate an Intelligent Item's Caster Level, unless GM does it himself I'll have to give up on the Nightblood idea. <_<

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Right, I'm playing a Monk 3/Fighter 1 with an Intelligent Temple Sword blatantly copying Nightblood from Warbreaker. I'm debating whether to make it size: Large for a Two-Hander.

EDIT: Due to Pathfinder making a stupid mistaking and giving me no way to calculate an Intelligent Item's Caster Level, unless GM does it himself I'll have to give up on the Nightblood idea. <_<

You actually spent 3500gp on an intelligent weapon?

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

It says that you may choose a viper or constrictor snake animal companion. It would seem that you get the slightly more powerful constrictor snake rather than the crocodile.

In my quest to unoptimise my character, I'd like a crocodile if that were possible, because it is weaker.

I'm happy with the constrictor too, but crocodiles are just that much more interesting (not just bite, grapple, constrict).

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Wyvren, I had a cool story and everything going with it. I think I'll still buy it anyways, just because. Actually, see if I can strike a deal with the GM for a special cursed Intelligent item...

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Nex, the sword would be an NPC and thus controlled by the GM. The GM does not necessarily like to have to make yet another NPC, so the GM may get some enjoyment out of the sword at inopportune times.

Retech, the rules state that you can take either a viper or a constrictor. I am going by the rules. I know that the constrictor is more powerful (aside from the fact that with its advancement it loses its grab attack and gains constrict).

I will be running a session of this next week, probably at the usual time. However as arch should be gone for the rest of next week I have a free time slot. This could be used for a variety of things, running a second session of this, giving me a free day on the weekend, or running an exposé of a different system.

LNYvk.png

Grim, did you look at the core handbook? It is pretty clear that the constrictor keeps the grab attack and gains constrict in addition. Earlier, I was using the PFSRD that described the unadvanced constrictor's bite as [1d3+grab] and the advanced form as [1d4]. This made it seem like that the constrictor lost its grab attack.

However, if you look at the core rulebook, the grab attack is listed under special attacks. Thusly, it is an entirely different section completely, and isn't supposed to be lost at advancement. It does not state that the advanced snake has low-light vision or scent either, but it doesn't lose them. It doesn't state the movement speed, because unless there is a change, it isn't listed.

So yeah, the constrictor should keep its grab attack unless that is houseruled. The overwhelming consensus from everyone I've asked is that it does not lose its grab attack. I would like you to follow precedent and go with the community interpretation of the rules, as you've done for everything else.

Show me the FaQ for pathfinder that the constrictor doesn't lose its grab attack. There is a fair bit of a difference between the Pathfinder core rules and the 3.X core rules. For one druids are not basically one man parties (spell caster and tank with wild shape) in pathfinder. I have not gone with the community interpretation always, I have gone with my interpretation of the rules. The advancement attacks seem to be replacements of the ones listed. Or would you rather have the snake doing 1d3 and 1d4 bite damage an attack (if they are cumulative)?

LNYvk.png

It makes no sense though.

It is widely accepted that it didn't even need to be explicitly stated, because it was clear. Advancement only adds to a creature, unless specifically stated that it loses it. I have already emailed Paizo and am waiting for their reply, if they will send one.

Using your interpretation of the rules, an advanced horse does not have an attack. The only reason that they list rake twice, for example, in the big cat statblock is because its damage was upgraded.

Bah, perhaps you're right, perhaps you're wrong. I'll look in further into it. There are some additional rules that I need to put up on the first post for city creation. I'll get to that today or tomorrow and post on the thread about it.

LNYvk.png

Thanks Grim. If I can't find anything specific, it basically boils down to this: why would a large snake not be able to grab something with its bite and not smell things well, while a smaller snake would be even better at grabbing and smelling?

I will try to look through the Pathfinder FAQ and contact Paizo though.

Does this group want a Slayer? Not any sort of class, just someone capable of fighting more unusual monsters, bypassing DR and such.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

If you enjoy playing it, then make it.

At this moment, I think that people are just making whatever they enjoy, so make whatever you enjoy. :)

^

Probably not the answer you were specifically looking for.

Well it was post #666, can't expect the best. I like it, but I want to help too. :)

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well, you could always bring along a few cold iron and silver weapons, along with a regular repertoire of items. It's probably unlikely that we'll face a wierd monster every time, so if you got regular items too, then you could contribute all the time.

Also, I couldn't find a chariot, so I might just ride on a wagon.

I have an Heirloom Mithral Temple Sword, an Adamantine Defender Cestus, and a set of Returning shuriken keyed to every alignment. Looking into a Cold Iron weapon as well, perhaps a set of bolts or arrows and a corresponding weapon.

Also! GM, have you been remembering that stealth attacks only have to hit the monster's Flat-Footed AC? Just curious.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Seems that you're awefully prepared.

Nex, what do you mean by stealth attacks?

Attacks made coming out of Stealth. I don't think Grim registered last game that it made them flat-footed, just allowed my rogue to make extra damage thanks to Sneak Attack.

I am fairly prepared. However, this equipment is all I can really afford, and only then thanks to a donation from Archi. Seems fit for a mercenary-type. :)

RIP Dawngate ;-;

You can get sneak attacks from either flanking or when they lose their dexterity bonus to AC (which includes being flatfooted). I'm not familliar with the rules on attacks coming out of stealth (it may very well be possible that they are not flatfooted if they are already in combat), but usually if you even get to make a sneak attack, then they are flatfooted or have lost their dexterity bonus to AC in some other way.

Unless you were basing the sneak attacks off flanking. :P

You can lose dex bonus to AC from:

Blinded

Cowering

Flatfooted

Stunned

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter if it stealthed or not, as long as they have not made their first action in combat. If the rest of us are charging in as maniacs, except for flanking, I think you're out of luck.

EDIT: Are you a rogue?

Pretty sure that's not the case.

Anyways, onwards and upwards! Darkwood Composite Longbow with +4 Strength Bonus and Cold Iron arrows away!

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well I just read through all of the rules about situations where someone could lose their dexterity bonus to AC, and I didn't see any mention of a stealth attack.

It's more that it is up to you to find a passage that suggests that stealth attacks mean the opponent is flatfooted, even if they are already reacting and in combat. I had to chase around a lot of links to defend myself on rules questions, so maybe you could go and look for it? I'm rather sleepy and I have a lot of projects to finish up for Wednesday.

Well, attacking from being stealthed or invisible does allow for sneak attacks, because it creates a Secondary Surprise round (or if its an ambush it allows you act during the primary Surprise round) as a result of new character Joining combat that the other combatants are unaware of. Due to the fact that it is a single combatant attacking from a hidden position or being invisible, all other combatants are denied actions during the surprise round and the player using the surprise round may make use of only free actions and a single standard action while all other opponents are considered flat footed (therefore running up to someone from a stealthed position does not work), and then the character is inserted into the turn order at their iinitive count.

However this entire issue is dependant upon the GM's judgement, as it is an extreme edge case to the rules, as the secondary Surprise Round occurs concurrently with the player's standard initive turn and may either interupt or override portions of the standard turn, when Primary Surprise rounds generally Occur at the top of the Initive count after which the New combatants are slotted into the Initive count

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source