Are you ready for new high level Slayer content?

Triquos

What? You guys are kidding me, right? Just because someone can get rewards from another creature, then slayer is no longer rewarding???

I have never heard someone who has 90+ slayer before say that slayer is unrewarding-surely special drops such as a whip, a staff of light, dragon boots, and many lesser drops such as herbs, battlestaves and even dragon bones make slayer well worth pursuing?

As far as I am aware, the key strength of the slayer skill is that people find it a fun money-maker: as a result it is more rewarding than camping at a particular monster such as frost dragons or TDs because you have more fun and still make a reasonable amount of money?

I'm not an efficienado.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? You guys are kidding me, right? Just because someone can get rewards from another creature, then slayer is no longer rewarding???

I have never heard someone who has 90+ slayer before say that slayer is unrewarding-surely special drops such as a whip, a staff of light, dragon boots, and many lesser drops such as herbs, battlestaves and even dragon bones make slayer well worth pursuing?

As far as I am aware, the key strength of the slayer skill is that people find it a fun money-maker: as a result it is more rewarding than camping at a particular monster such as frost dragons or TDs because you have more fun and still make a reasonable amount of money?

BAM:

I do not think slayer is rewarding in terms of monetary compensation.

In fact, I tend to barely break even.

(~200k to 99 slayer)

Here's my beef: we have an entire skill whose rewards come solely from being able to kill monsters exclusive to people who have trained the skill. There is no point in a skill like that, at all, if there are better monsters than the ones that can be killed with the skill.

Yes, training slayer is fun, but that doesn't make it useful. It's right down there with firemaking, cooking, etc. as far as ultimately being a waste of time to level.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Creature's name: Wild Reindeer and Ravenous Reindeer

Combat Level: Err... I have no idea so random numbers sound good. 117 and 225.

Slayer Level requirement: 80 for wild and 90 for ravenous. (i don't know about others, but i'd consider that a high slayer level :S)

Unique Drop/s: Training Whip, Saddle, Mount Whistle, Spiked Whip and Sturdy Saddle.

Location: Wild Reindeer: Trollweiss mountain and Frozen Waste Plateau, Ravenous Reindeer: Frozen Waste Plateau

Items Required to Slay: None

New Item Design: Once you get the training whip, saddle and mount whistle, you can tame a wild reindeer (75 summoning requirement). Once you get the spiked whip, sturdy saddle and whistle, you can tame a ravenous reindeer (85 summoning requirement). These can then be used as mounts, allowing you to travel at a speed faster than running limitlessly.

By blowing the mount whistle, your mount would be called and you will jump on top. Your mount can be used to fight monsters, however you cannot help it. It has the same stats as the original monster, so the ravenous reindeer mount would be much stronger than the wild reindeer, however the drops required would be rarer and the requirements higher.

If you lose your mount whistle, you have to repeat the entire process to get another mount.

Monster's appearance: [spoiler=Perfect]small_funny_reindeer_legs_over_label_image.jpg

Scenario: (if any) Giant penis.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

@xSxqPowerx-you surprise me-are you one of those, err, 'powerslayers'?

Here's my beef: we have an entire skill whose rewards come solely from being able to kill monsters exclusive to people who have trained the skill. There is no point in a skill like that, at all, if there are better monsters than the ones that can be killed with the skill.

Yes, training slayer is fun, but that doesn't make it useful. It's right down there with firemaking, cooking, etc. as far as ultimately being a waste of time to level.

Interesting point. Very interesting. In fact, I'd never thought about slayer that way before.

I suppose the key question here is wether monsters are on a rolling scale of good to bad. Being able to kill abyssal demons may not be as fancy as being able to kill frost dragons, BUT you might still think it's worthwhile even if you can kill frost dragons.

I'm not sure frosts and tormenteds are necessarily better monsters to kill than all the other ones you can try with slayer. For one thing, they might not be as fun.

I suppose your argument, however, destroys a lot of point to skills. For example:

There is no point in the bow section of fletching because rangers can get a darkbow.

There is no point to smithing and crafting because all things can be obtained as drops or TT rewards, or services bought from NPCs.

There is no point to thieving as better things can be obtained from monsters.

There is no point to firemaking as ashes can be obtained very easily from level 1 and ranges are throughout runescape.

There is no point to runecrafting as runes can be bought from NPCs more easily.

So I don't really know what to say. I've never been a fan of slayer, since I don't hugely enjoy the combat aspect of the game, but I've always assumed high-level slayers thought it was absolutely brilliant. In any case, isn't the point of the slayer skill to have fun?

I'm not an efficienado.

so in summary, you are saying that slaying is objectively rewarding by subjective personal satisfaction?

and you are correct about many parts of (or even entire) skills are defunct

you will be lucky to average over 1m/h profit slaying if you maximized your block lists for profit. a level 3 can make double that with no skills.

In any case, isn't the point of the slayer skill to have fun?

I'll address this first- absolutely. You may notice I'm 99 slayer, and I did that because I wanted an impressive, good looking cape that I could enjoy getting. For that purpose, no skill better fit my purposes than slayer.

For the rest of your post- I agree that every skill you listed there is essentially useless besides doing stuff in dungeoneering (slayer has that as well, by the way) and opening effigies, and maybe a couple of other fringe benefits here and there.

I see that as a problem. Why would there be skills that don't benefit someone for training them? The whole concept is foreign to me. If the skill is useless, surely it should be renovated? Surely somebody with a 99 that I don't have should have some kind of benefit I wish I had too? As it is the majority of 99s are instead tokens of wasted time.

In this respect, summoning is perhaps the most well-designed skill in the game. All the way up to 99 it keeps on making the player more and more powerful, up to unicorns at 88 that provide stackable healing, to pack yaks at 96 that allow banking from anywhere, to steel titans at 99 that are capable of tearing through low defense monsters with their scroll effect. If I had my way, the very next project taken on by every Jagex developer would be making the rest of the skills like that, before any other content was developed. It's the most pressing issue in the game.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Slayer isn't rewarding at all. It is both less exp per hour than other methods, and less money per hour.

I have almost 20 million slayer exp, so please don't generalize.

crossed_body.png

Slayer isn't rewarding at all. It is both less exp per hour than other methods, and less money per hour.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=define%3Aopinion&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1

GuidesForScapers.png

Wait, exp/hour and money/hour are opinions?

That's new.

"Slayer isn't rewarding at all" = opinion, speaking factually it is rewarding.

That was aimed at most of the thread, not just the quote. Everyone is [bleep]ing and moaning about why slayer does/doesn't suck, wasn't the idea of the thread to suggest new monsters/items and discuss the future update =/?

GuidesForScapers.png

The thread is aimed at discussing the topic, as well as suggesting monsters - as Jagex are wanting ideas for upcoming high level slayer content. I figure a combination of both discussion and ideas would be exactly what Jagex wants ^_^

There's a few common things I'm noticing from all the feedback - possibly untradeable slayer drops and task-only monsters like the strykewyrms, it's interesting discussion :) and keep up the suggestions for Jagex

Edit: another idea I had a while back

Creature's name: Leviathan

Combat Level: 171

Slayer Level requirement: 97

Unique Drop/s: Icyene cape, Levia's lament (staff)

Items Required to Slay: Diving Apparatus + Fishbowl Helm + antifire shield/dragonfire shield

New Item Design: The Icyene cape would be an animated cape with the same structure as the fire cape. It would be a cape of flowing water, with flowing petite icebergs (the icebergs would then smash on the floor once they fall off the cape). This item would have the hidden ability 'Bermuda's pull' which picks up ALL ammunition that is dropped. It would also give you +40 damage to any dragon tasks you have - stacks with kuradal's ring. Untradeable.

Levia's Lament - this dark demonic dragon staff grieves the fall of the leviathan. To mourn the loss, it wants vengeance in the form of another's death. This staff would supply infinite death runes for spells and would be untradeable.

The leviathan would only be slayable while on task.

Because of the fact that these drops would be untradeable, duplicates/unwanted extra drops could be sold to Brother Tranquility - as he doesn't want such dark items in his presence. This way the task is constantly in demand, as the reward drops will never decrease in price.

Monster's appearance: A dark teal coloured underwater dragon that breathes blue/purple dragon fire breath, with seaweed-like fins + tail and a luminescent spine.

Scenario: Found undernearth Harmony Island lurking in the deep ancient waters forgotten with time

2vuhgcn.png

Exp/hour and Money/hour aren't opinions. If you have fun slaying, that's great. But that doesn't make the skill more rewarding for the general population, it makes it more rewarding for you.

You can't judge a skill's rewards in terms of "fun", because then you'll be giving your biased opinion on it.

Factual slayer rewards (read, the money, items, and exp) are crappy compared to other skills.

When you want to compare two things fairly, you have to weight in the facts, not the "fun".

Also, if a new slayer item is to be dropped from a single monster, I vote on a shield that adapts to all 3 classes of the game.

crossed_body.png

It would be really nice to have a new slayer monster for levels 95, 97 and 99.

I like the idea of a boss monster that requires 99 slayer, maybe not necassarily for training slayer on, but more of a reward for reaching 99 slayer. Having a much less crowded boss with good drops :)

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I've wanted untradable combat items for years.

Don't really care if these are from slayer, or bosses, or whatever.

In my opinion this would be the best update to slayer.

However, really any new high level monsters with new drops would be nice. I may not think the skill is "rewarding" but I like combat and don't mind training slayer.

Slayer doesn't really need new harder slayer monsters. If harder slayer monsters come out then slayer will just get even slower. What we need are more monster specific weapons and weapon updates. Such as an enhancement to keris and other monster specific weapons that will make killing monsters with those weapons a better option. Updates that will make slayer easier if you actually use slayer items. Slayer is supposed to be about finding a monsters weakness and exploiting it to you benefit, which is useless when rapier can kill monsters faster then a weapon that is supposed to be custome made to kill those monsters.

This.

Keris, Balmung etc should always be faster than the best melee weapon for the assigned task.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

You have to be kidding. You find slayer unrewarding, and you have 20M xp in it? Unless that's one of your lower stats, I'm amazed. Obvioulsy you find the skill rewarding, either because you find it enjoyable to train or you find reward in climbing the highscores IE being better than most at it.

Saying that "You can't call slayer rewarding because it's fun because that's biased." is silly. All that proves is that slayer is differently rewarding to different people, something that your 20M slayer xp proves.

If a skill is more rewarding for you, it may well be more rewarding for the general population. Most people like slaying, so far as I've heard.

Let me explain: I enjoy fletching. I'm not very experienced in it yet, but I personally find it relaxing. I could make more money elsewhere, and I could get faster experience in another skill, but the fact is I find the slow acumulation of money and experience while clicking every now and then in a bank relaxing. As a result, I find this skill rewarding to train. I would never say it's not rewarding at all, because it is. It's rewarding because it helps me relax.

In any case, isn't the point of the slayer skill to have fun?

I'll address this first- absolutely. You may notice I'm 99 slayer, and I did that because I wanted an impressive, good looking cape that I could enjoy getting. For that purpose, no skill better fit my purposes than slayer.

For the rest of your post- I agree that every skill you listed there is essentially useless besides doing stuff in dungeoneering (slayer has that as well, by the way) and opening effigies, and maybe a couple of other fringe benefits here and there.

I see that as a problem. Why would there be skills that don't benefit someone for training them? The whole concept is foreign to me. If the skill is useless, surely it should be renovated? Surely somebody with a 99 that I don't have should have some kind of benefit I wish I had too? As it is the majority of 99s are instead tokens of wasted time.

In this respect, summoning is perhaps the most well-designed skill in the game. All the way up to 99 it keeps on making the player more and more powerful, up to unicorns at 88 that provide stackable healing, to pack yaks at 96 that allow banking from anywhere, to steel titans at 99 that are capable of tearing through low defense monsters with their scroll effect. If I had my way, the very next project taken on by every Jagex developer would be making the rest of the skills like that, before any other content was developed. It's the most pressing issue in the game.

Dungeoneering makes an interesting point, although sadly only two main binds seem to have been accepted by most: the hexhunter bow and the shadow hood. Still, I'd certainly not thoguht of effigies, which are a huge reward for training slayer.

If the skill is useless...well, there we are. Teh concept seems foreign, but then you realise why two updates of Jagex are just so genius: Skillcapes, and the Highscores. People are perfectly prepared to spend many, many days training their skills just to get a cape. The otehr advantage of non-functional skills is quest rewards.

I suppose why I have a problem with slayer gettign so much attention is that there are other skills that need this more IMHO. Slayer has recieved two big updates in the past year: Strykewyrms and Effigies. I'd rather firemaking or my personaly favourite, fletching, got updated.

What am I talking about? I agree with all your points, I just wish it wasn't slayer seeming to get the most attention because I don't enjoy slaying myself. However, I do believe slayer has worthwhile rewards but would work better if most of the special drops like the whip were untradeable. There, I've said it.

Right: now for the post, what would I like to make slayer more interesting? Well, if I was Jagex I would have not put the combat levels requirements in. In my opinion, I'm prevented from doing the fun stuff because I'm not good enough at combat yet-I need 85 to start receiving special points and I'm only combat 83.

I'm not an efficienado.

I agree that slayer is probably not as desperately lacking in content as other skills that aren't so fun to train like firemaking, but it is perhaps the most popular of the useless skills, so it makes sense that it would be targeted first.

Any skill becoming more useful is a plus in my book, I'm not going to sit here looking a gift horse in the mouth because I feel like cooking could do better with an update than slayer.

I want a monster like black demons, but with less health, a magic attack and only dropping accursed ashes, being in a densely populated (single or multi, I don't care) not very accessable dungeon requiring 70 slayer to kill, but each slayer level beyond that adds +1 to your hits (like a ferocious ring), and the default is -10 damage (so at level 80 you lose/gain no damage).

Eh, in general I'd like something like Waterbirth Island but with a slayer requirement.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You have to be kidding. You find slayer unrewarding, and you have 20M xp in it? Unless that's one of your lower stats, I'm amazed. Obvioulsy you find the skill rewarding, either because you find it enjoyable to train or you find reward in climbing the highscores IE being better than most at it.

Saying that "You can't call slayer rewarding because it's fun because that's biased." is silly. All that proves is that slayer is differently rewarding to different people, something that your 20M slayer xp proves.

If a skill is more rewarding for you, it may well be more rewarding for the general population. Most people like slaying, so far as I've heard.

Let me explain: I enjoy fletching. I'm not very experienced in it yet, but I personally find it relaxing. I could make more money elsewhere, and I could get faster experience in another skill, but the fact is I find the slow acumulation of money and experience while clicking every now and then in a bank relaxing. As a result, I find this skill rewarding to train. I would never say it's not rewarding at all, because it is. It's rewarding because it helps me relax.

I find slayer fun, that's why I do it. But I don't find its rewards even close to decent compared to many other skills, like dungeoneering and herblore. That doesn't mean I don't, or can't enjoy it just for the fun of it.

Again, stop judging skills by what you think is rewarding. Fun isn't, and never was an objective method of comparison. If you want to figure out the rewards of the skill you need to put apart your personal beliefs on it, and compare it side by side using things that can be compared (read, exp, money, or other benefits that make it stand out from other skills).

Chaotic weapons, overloads, yaks, titans, weight reducing equipment... Those are things that you can actively use to compare skills with. Even Firemaking a cooking are more usefull than slayer in dungeoneering, seeing as you can just steal a shadow silk hood or an hexhunter from a 99 slayer.

They are equally useless outside of dungeoneering. There is no item you can't access with or without slayer apart from the slayer helmet, which only helps offset 15% of the experience you would have made anyway if you weren't slaying.

crossed_body.png

But...the fun is a reward? *shakes head in confusion*.

It's the difference between wanting to get the levels (which slayer is great at- it's a fun skill), and wanting to USE the levels.

Rewards are abilities unlocked by the skill that you want to use outside of training the skill. Herblore's rewards are untradable potions, dungeoneering has chaotics and frost dragons, summoning has pack yaks and steel titans... slayer has dark beasts. Nobody ever would want to kill dark beasts off task. Abbys are similarly poor for camping, as are all of the other slayer monsters. Every single one is outdated and inferior to newer, shinier monsters that for some bizarre reason don't require slayer levels, as if Jagex forgot about that entire skill about unlocking better monsters to kill.

Fun makes us want to train, but it doesn't provide any reward after we've stopped training. That's an important distinction.

I'll just throw some ideas out here for weapons and drops.

Arquebus: A lower powered, non self destructing version of the hand cannon, although I don't know how much lower you could make it before it's overtaken by crossbows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus

Sword breaker: An offhand dagger that could possibly have high slash defence, or disarm an enemies 1-handed weapon in much the same way the chaos elemental does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_breaker#Swordbreakers

Morning Stars or other crush based weapons are always nice.

More chainmail items: Probably added as drops for lower leveled monsters. It's one of the most common types of medieval armor, I've always wondered why you could only get a chainmail body.

Roman style segmented armor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorica_segmentata

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun