More Sad Graphs to Look at

pal2002

Or address the highly naive and misled viewpoint many hold that there are bots in rs therefore jagex are not doing anything about them.

Orly? And what, pray-tell is Jagex doing about them? :rolleyes:

The stat resets, the bannings, the lawsuits against bot sites the various bot detection systems etc.

Indications are that it appears to be some 15-30% of the general R/S population is now using a "bot" of some kind or other and the numbers appear to be growing.

Are you saying that Jagex is rolling back on 15-30% of all player stats?

How many accounts have been banned this year due to "botting"?

To what affect, short term and long term, do you honestly think legal proceedings taken against bot sites is going to curtail the current problem?

Do you honestly think that Jagex REALLY has any "bot detection systems" operating at the present time?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they have bot dtetection systems, all good games too.

Also no poof of tht many users using bots its just a theorised number backed up by some clever statistic work and statistics can be manipulated to show w/e you want.

You seem to be labouring under the illusion bots can be gotten rid of; they can't.

There will always be bots and jagex will always work agaisnt them. And lawsuits do help given the site owners are slammed with massive compensation charges and cant realistically open a new site too fast with them, plus any subsequent site would be all the easier to get taken down due to the prior ruling on the same issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also no poof of tht many users using bots its just a theorised number backed up by some clever statistic work and statistics can be manipulated to show w/e you want.

You seem to be labouring under the illusion bots can be gotten rid of; they can't.

There will always be bots and jagex will always work agaisnt them. And lawsuits do help given the site owners are slammed with massive compensation charges and cant realistically open a new site too fast with them, plus any subsequent site would be all the easier to get taken down due to the prior ruling on the same issue.

I think that you are the individual who's under the delusion that Jagex is able or willing or actually doing anything about it.

The "lawsuits" as you wish to call them, don't really have much effect. First of all, there's the issue of jurisdiction and"trade-marks", and secondly there is the issue of corporate protection.

There are countries that don't recognize trade-marks of any kind or jurisdiction. As such, all a bot-site operation needs to do is to router their bot-site through oh say -- China, and it becomes a fascinating mess. Then, of course, there's the issue of jurisdiction. How does an English court enforce a legal remedy upon an operation that exists outside its realm of authority?

Well - it doesn't. It can't.

Secondly, there's the issue of the corporate shield. If any bot-site hides itself within a corporate entity, there's not a lot that Jagex can do to pierce that corporate shield and get at the actual "shareholders" who may, or may not, be profiting from the sale of bot programming.

I've no delusions about the continued existence and proliferation of bots. My issue, now, is with their proliferation.

My question is when will the game meet the threshold at which it becomes impossible to play it because there's so many bots in-game, that there's nothing you can do?

<_<

nyuseg.png

Theres many succesful court cases where jagex pwned bot sites if you go and look it up.

Also they don't use uk courts, they file the case with the court of the country the issue is in; if you look through the corporate site fully they even have a legal team in america now (iirc) and they can go after people opposed to sites to circumvent sites hosted elsewhere.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think that he picked a really good day to post this thread, ifyouknowwhatImean.

Also,

Oh look, it's THIS thread yet again.

OT: The graphs, they mean nothing! Seriously, there are probably more ways to get a bot for a game other than googling it. And I don't know how Alexa gets their data, so I can't say much about that.

a70c7.png

Theres many succesful court cases where jagex pwned bot sites if you go and look it up.

Also they don't use uk courts, they file the case with the court of the country the issue is in; if you look through the corporate site fully they even have a legal team in america now (iirc) and they can go after people opposed to sites to circumvent sites hosted elsewhere.

Okay -- so -- which part of "jurisdiction" and "corporate shield" don't you comprehend? :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

I just wrote in: bots site:worldofwarcraft.com and got 13900 results. Am I pro at statistical analysis now?

Look at the my pic carefully. Note that it is in a WEEK. Put on the week limiter and you will find ZERO results for your search.

And lol, well this isn't an april fools thing. >.>

If any conclusions I want to draw from these data is that Jagex is doing a [cabbage] job at stopping bots compared to Blizzard. That much anyone should agree.

Ofc RS isn't dying. It's just being overran by bots. No biggie.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

A thread like this with google searches and graphs seem to pop up almost once a month now. We get it, there are tons of bots and jagex doesn't seem to care. Other games care and get rid of bots.

From the high level forums

http://oi51.tinypic.com/jb5w0m.jpg

Very interesting! FINALLY they're making a statement about it - the first one of its kind since 2008... Hopefully it will get front page placement and not hide in a forum thread and/or some random dev blog/community post that nobody reads. Any chance you can show the full thread/topic that the mod statement came from?

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

If they had good bot detections there wouldn't be succesful suicide bots. Already said this but one guys suicided into the top 500 mining. (Suiciding is 24/7 botting). There's even almost maxed suicide bots.

Anyway RS is obviously gunna die at some point.

Probably not for a while but it's cleearly in decline.

rs isnt dieing

there are more searches and more rs bots than wow because rs is free

/thread

Yeah it is. Have you read any reviews of RS lately? It's just a game with a large ammount of players who will continue to play for a long time. The ammount of new players is minimal now, so that just means that things will slowly die.

rs isnt dieing

/thread

Yeah it is. Have you read any reviews of RS lately? It's just a game with a large ammount of players who will continue to play for a long time. The ammount of new players is minimal now, so that just means that things will slowly die.

Most reviews of Runescape are world of warcraft players who have played runescape for 5 minutes

RS has been "dieing" since like what 2006 now?

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! WAIt! WAIt! WAIt! WAIt! WAIt! WAit! WAit! WAit! WAit! WAit! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! wait! wait! wait! wait! wait!

Runescape has bots?

w4M8t.png

rs isnt dieing

/thread

Most reviews of Runescape are world of warcraft players who have played runescape for 5 minutes

RS has been "dieing" since like what 2006 now?

It wasn't dying tho was it, there was plenty of miniclippers and all that jazz.

Now it's dieing, slooow like. I think it'll go for a fair few more years, but it's pretty blatent to me that when a large majority of people I see have 99 capes the game is becomming top hevy and dieing.

How many graphs have we seen that show us what we already know? It's getting old now.

I'm going to have to agree with Wingless here. There have been countless topics involving the decline in players, increase in bots, what-have-you. They all show us the same thing that has already been embedded in our brains for quite some time now, which I will happily list below for all to see, and hopefully this is the last time we have to see it. (Though I know it won't be.)

• RuneScape has bots.
  • RuneScape has seen a decline in players over the past few years.
  • Rinse and reapeat.

What I listed above are the basis of I'd like to say at least four to five topics per month in this particular board, and I'm tired of seeing them. We get the point, adding graphs doesn't give us any new information.