Jagex - Bot Busting

Bows

Player Moderators are not forced to do anything, I'm not saying that the player moderator shouldn't have reported that person but they have absolutely no requirement to.

That's the problem. People expect them to, expect that white crown is for more than show or a status symbol. That it's a responsibility. Why be held in high regard by Jagex - way many see it - when you're not going to exercise even the slight power to temporarily mute?

Player moderators aren't anything like Game Moderators/Masters in other MMOs, and it's this mistaken belief that's at issue, I think.

Indeed -- what, then, is the point of awarding someone a crown if they're not going to take the responsibility to exercise the powers with which they have been granted? Why should a regular player care, when those moderators can't be bothered to take the time to do the right thing? <_<

... oh, and I like how I am labeled the hypocrite (by the Pmod) for not undertaking to do the "mod wannabe" action that the Pmod failed to take. Now that's irony! :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in my previous post, how do you not know that the player mod didn't report the bot? Maybe they play with their chat off so they didn't see the spamming and thus didn't do anything.

And how is it "mod wannabe" to report people breaking the rules? If you're complaining that someone else isn't reporting someone and you don't do it yourself then you can hardly complain. It doesn't matter if that player is a Player Mod or not. If you had reported the bot and added them to your ignore list like I said then you wouldn't know if the Player Mod had reported or not. You can't expect others to do everything for you which is what you seem to be expecting in this case.

And if I was in that situation then yes I would have reported the person in question if they were indeed a bot and spamming, I never said otherwise.

Maybe they play with their chat off so they didn't see the spamming and thus didn't do anything.

She wasn't playing with chat off, she was talking to other players -- and no, it wasn't "just friends" because she was answering random responses. :rolleyes:

You know -- this conversation is hilarious. Perhaps, instead of blaming me for a mod's shortcomings, maybe you should be considering why a Pmod isn't doing their job? Instead of making excuses for a Pmod's poor choices and failure to take responsibility, perhaps you should be getting clarifications from Jagex and get a proper mandate for taking action?

Hmmm?

Honestly, if you're not prepared to get your ass in gear and DOING SOMETHING -- then maybe you should turn in YOUR crown? :shame:

If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. And you, sir, with your constant brown-nosing the Jagex and their system are CLEARLY part of the problem. <_<

nyuseg.png

And again I ask, how do you know that they didn't report the bot? You're ignoring my questions because you don't know, you're just assuming. And again also, why didn't you report the bot and add them to your ignore list?

And if you'd actually read what I posted (that'd be a huge surprise to expect someone to do I know) I said I would have reported them, of course you ignored that too because it would mean you couldn't make a funny comment about me right?

Also as you seemingly know everything about what makes a good mod it's a surprise that Jagex hasn't asked you to be one isn't it :rolleyes:.

You're not part of the solution either by assuming others will report people and not do it yourself, so can't really say that to me when I said I would have reported them...

Also as you seemingly know everything about what makes a good mod it's a surprise that Jagex hasn't asked you to be one isn't it :rolleyes:.

Oooo off-topic baiting by an admin, lovely =D>

Yes -- being part of the problem isn't reduced only to in-game activities, apparently ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Yes -- being part of the problem isn't reduced only to in-game activities, apparently ... :rolleyes:

Care to respond to my post at all? Or do you not have a reasonable answer to any of them? You're not very good at this discussion thing it seems. "Lets make my argument look valid by ignoring all the points that downplay my side!" Closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears isn't going to make the post go away.

I never report people anymore for one key reason; it doesn't make a difference. I've reported bots in the past and seen them still doing the exact same thing for weeks on end. I've reported people trying to phish out other people's passwords and seen them hanging around the G.E. some time later. Myself and others know that next to nothing that is reported actually gets looked at and action taken against.

I lack the ability to mute and send a higher priority report, which pmods can do. I can't do anything except watch it happen, while a pmod who happens to be nearby can take a minimal amount of time to mute the botter, scammer, etc. and send a report that actually has a chance of causing action being taken against the account.

While I know that being a player-moderator is a voluntary privilege, it doesn't mean that those chosen don't have to do anything. It would be like myself choosing not to edit any articles for the Times since it could be considered a waste of time. Why should I be allowed to stay an editor if I don't do what I signed up to do? Moderators are given the task to keep peace between players in-game, report people who are obviously breaking the rules, and try to help keep the environment friendly as they go about their own Runescape business.

I'm not saying that they should ever put being a pmod over being a player, but when something is happening right in front of them, and they can stop it or at least help stop it, why shouldn't they?

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

The Player Moderator system is nothing more than cuckolding the chosen players to some symbolical facade of power that has waned in importance, power and usefulness. In my opinion Jagex views Pmod's as nothing more than fancy status symbols for the community. The systems, flawed, outdated and badly in need of a revamp. It's a system that is only effective in muting players who commit certain types of offenses. If I thought Jagex could handle criticism, I'd elaborate, but i'm pretty sure they can't.

It doesn't take a [bleep]ing rocket scientist to walk to essence mines, sorcerers garden <insert spot here> and see that the game is over-run with macro's - nor does it take a player to detect one. The games flawed in macro detection, and as a player since july 2001, I'm pretty sure that anyone on this thread who actually plays the game knows deep down that we are infested with macro's and jagex has no real desire or drive to fix it.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

And why would they desire to fix it? A lot of their money comes from bots.

You don't see me disagreeing. I'm just saying since people seem to be bickering about pmod's - the system is flawed, outdated and doing nothing more than cuckolding players with false hopes of a better game.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

the system is flawed, outdated and doing nothing more than cuckolding players with false hopes of a better game.

I could put that into so many sentences involving Runescape right now...

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. It just has a lot of problems that are either being incorrectly dealt with or are being ignored.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

And why would they desire to fix it? A lot of their money comes from bots.

Then just ban the ones that are clearly goldfarmers because they WILL come back.

As a PMod of over 5 years, I can tell you that what Das said about the PMod system being flawed is true. All mods are good for is muting. Other then that, it's just a status symbol. I do my absolute best to help clean up this game, but without Jagex's help, it's a losing battle.

As a PMod of over 5 years, I can tell you that what Das said about the PMod system being flawed is true. All mods are good for is muting. Other then that, it's just a status symbol. I do my absolute best to help clean up this game, but without Jagex's help, it's a losing battle.

I say that as a Pmod of an equal or greater timeframe - I don't remember how long I've been one, but my feelings and sentiments come from my pent up frustration of what you just said.

I do my absolute best to help clean up this game, but without Jagex's help, it's a losing battle.

It's nice to know i'm not alone.

Abraham Lincoln

Care to respond to my post at all? Or do you not have a reasonable answer to any of them? You're not very good at this discussion thing it seems. "Lets make my argument look valid by ignoring all the points that downplay my side!" Closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears isn't going to make the post go away.

Okay let's take a look at your OFF-TOPIC post and address all the issues therein, shall we?

And again I ask, how do you know that they didn't report the bot?

Because they were too busy chatting with people: "omg, that is like, so you know like it's just so you know when it's like you know, so you know, you know?"

... and yes, that's pretty much an exact quote ...

You're ignoring my questions because you don't know, you're just assuming.

No it's pretty much a good guess that she wasn't paying attention to the scenario and didn't give a damn ...

And again also, why didn't you report the bot and add them to your ignore list?

I added the bot to my iggy I didn't bother reporting it because I've already reported HUNDREDS of obvious bots and, guess what? Jagex hasn't done a DAMN THING about it. Shocking I know.

And if you'd actually read what I posted (that'd be a huge surprise to expect someone to do I know) I said I would have reported them, of course you ignored that too because it would mean you couldn't make a funny comment about me right?

Actually you added the comment AFTER I already quoted you and posted mine. :P

Actually, it's abundantly obvious why I haven't been asked to become a Pmod:

I mean really, it's not like I contribute to the Runescape community:

I've only got, what, 6k(+) posts in the RSOF, most of which were in the Quest Help section so I've barely done ANYTHING there ...

... and it's not like I am active on several different fansites or anything ...

... and I mean, really it's not like I've written the most definitive guides for Pest Control and Trouble Brewing, or anything ...

... or that I have written other guides relating to ancient curses and skills ...

... and it's not like I have written and contributed to hundreds of quests guides or anything on two different fansites ...

... and it's not like I haven't opened by own clan (friend) chat to the public, time and again, offering to assist, for free, anyone seeking a partner for the Heroes' Quest, and personally helped hundreds of players complete the quest ...

... and it's not like the forty some-odd friends I have who are all Pmods all come to ME and ask ME for advice and information on the game ...

... and it's not like I provide consistent and friendly advice to hundreds of people, every day, as I enclounter them in game, so obviously I'm not a contributing member to the Runescape Community so obviously I should be a Pmod, right?

Oh and what is it that YOU do, exactly, to contribute to the community? I mean, you know, aside from not doing any moderation whatsoever in-game, kissing Jagex's ass and schmoozing with the female Admins and Mods here to curry favour? Really?

You're not part of the solution either by assuming others will report people and not do it yourself, so can't really say that to me when I said I would have reported them...

Read the above and please stop talking out of your ass already.

k'thx!

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Okay let's take a look at your OFF-TOPIC post and address all the issues therein, shall we?

Because they were too busy chatting with people: "omg, that is like, so you know like it's just so you know when it's like you know, so you know, you know?"

No it's pretty much a good guess that she wasn't paying attention to the scenario and didn't give a damn ...

I added the bot to my iggy I didn't bother reporting it because I've already reported HUNDREDS of obvious bots and, guess what? Jagex hasn't done a DAMN THING about it. Shocking I know.

I've only got, what, 6k(+) posts in the RSOF, most of which were in the Quest Help section so I've barely done ANYTHING there ...

... and I mean, really it's not like I've written the most definitive guides for Pest Control and Trouble Brewing, or anything ...

... or that I have written other guides relating to ancient curses and skills ...

... and it's not like I have written and contributed to hundreds of quests guides or anything on two different fansites ...

... and it's not like I haven't opened by own clan (friend) chat to the public, time and again, offering to assist, for free, anyone seeking a partner for the Heroes' Quest, and personally helped hundreds of players complete the quest ...

... and it's not like the forty some-odd friends I have who are all Pmods all come to ME and ask ME for advice and information on the game ...

... and it's not like I provide consistent and friendly advice to hundreds of people, every day, as I enclounter them in game, so obviously I'm not a contributing member to the Runescape Community so obviously I should be a Pmod, right?

Oh and what is it that YOU do, exactly, to contribute to the community? I mean, you know, aside from not doing any moderation whatsoever in-game, kissing Jagex's ass and schmoozing with the female Admins and Mods here to curry favour? Really?

k'thx!

At the end of the day - you still don't know the pmod didn't report the bot.

It literally takes a few seconds to do - and nobody (but Jagex) would have any evidence.

The pmod may not have muted the bots but that's probably for a different reason.

The so called "bot"

a.) wasn't offending anybody

b.) wasn't trying to scam somebody

I mean - it may have been spamming but obviously, spamming isn't a huge deal (or Jagex can easily limit the output/messages sent through the system)

Even, so - I don't see what all the fuss is about. I highly doubt - any action would have been taken even if the pmod reported the bot.

It's not like you can ban somebody for pressing 0's a bunch of times.

Maybe the pmod has been disillusioned as well with the game - and just resorts to playing it as they wish and helping those who are a little lost in the game.

They don't have to be constantly on the watch for botters/etc because that's a never ending losing fight.

capt%20kevin.png

k'thx!

It literally takes a few seconds to do - and nobody (but Jagex) would have any evidence.

The pmod may not have muted the bots but that's probably for a different reason.

The so called "bot"

I mean - it may have been spamming but obviously, spamming isn't a huge deal (or Jagex can easily limit the output/messages sent through the system)

Even, so - I don't see what all the fuss is about. I highly doubt - any action would have been taken even if the pmod reported the bot.

Maybe the pmod has been disillusioned as well with the game - and just resorts to playing it as they wish and helping those who are a little lost in the game.

They don't have to be constantly on the watch for botters/etc because that's a never ending losing fight.

... and you're missing the same point that Darkdude has so happily glossed over -- and the point of the thread, to wit:

Jagex made a claim that they're "bot-busting", using uber-super-secret-detection-methods, in which they'd involve pmods and jmods. Meanwhile, at THAT SAME TIME, this bot is scurrying about and the Pmod at the scene did bupkus, son-of-bupkus, return-of-son-of-bupkus and bupkus-the-next-generation about it ...

Now, I understand that some people have issues with IRONY and understanding complex problems -- but you'd think that someone would understand the issue here?

nyuseg.png

Okay – let's take a look at your OFF-TOPIC post and address all the issues therein, shall we?

No – it's pretty much a good guess that she wasn't paying attention to the scenario and didn't give a damn ...

I added the bot to my iggy – I didn't bother reporting it because I've already reported HUNDREDS of obvious bots and, guess what? Jagex hasn't done a DAMN THING about it. Shocking I know.

Actually – you added the comment AFTER I already quoted you and posted mine. :P

I've only got, what, 6k(+) posts in the RSOF, most of which were in the Quest Help section – so I've barely done ANYTHING there ...

... and I mean, really – it's not like I've written the most definitive guides for Pest Control and Trouble Brewing, or anything ...

... and it's not like I provide consistent and friendly advice to hundreds of people, every day, as I enclounter them in game, so obviously I'm not a contributing member to the Runescape Community – so obviously I should be a Pmod, right?

Read the above – and please stop talking out of your ass already.

k'thx!

The so called "bot"

... and you're missing the same point that Darkdude has so happily glossed over -- and the point of the thread, to wit:

Jagex made a claim that they're "bot-busting", using uber-super-secret-detection-methods, in which they'd involve pmods and jmods. Meanwhile, at THAT SAME TIME, this bot is scurrying about and the Pmod at the scene did bupkus, son-of-bupkus, return-of-son-of-bupkus and bupkus-the-next-generation about it ...

Now, I understand that some people have issues with IRONY and understanding complex problems -- but you'd think that someone would understand the issue here?

I'm surprised that some as arrogant as you isn't a PMod. :eek:

I didn't miss the point of the thread - I'm fairly certain nobody has.

Jagex is bot busting. It doesn't mean Jagex is going to be catching every single god damn little bot out there. As far as this game is concerned - it's a step (however small) in the right general direction.

You're complaining about how the pmod did nothing - while in fact, you have no idea what the pmod did.

The pmod may not have muted the botter - but he still could've reported it. (Which apparently is more then you did).

You'd think somebody who has so much to gripe about botters/pmods and the sort would report the offender. Or at least ignore them if they're bothering you so much.

So let me get this straight -

1.) you see the problem i.e the botter

2.) you're annoyed by the botter

3.) you want the pmod to take action and mute/report the bot

4.) you can also mute/report the bot (wait is that a solution?) but you don't

5.) ??????

6.) Complain about Jagex/the state of the game/pmods/how you're not a pmod

capt%20kevin.png

That's not proof at all, as stated she could have reported the bot for macroing and just ignored it at the same time (which is an option), just because she's chatting doesn't mean she's not reported the bot. You have no proof at all that she didn't report the bot.

If you ignored it then how do you know that it wasn't muted or just reported by the player mod? And how do you know Jagex hasn't done anything about bots? They are being banned constantly. Do I think they're being dealt with quick enough and enough of them being dealt with? Not even in the slightest, there needs to be more done against them and I don't think anyone is denying that. However stating that they're doing nothing about it just shows your ignorance.

No I didn't.

I've written and contributed to more guides than you could imagine, I wrote about 50% of the content for another RuneScape fansite before it was closed, wrote quest guides for quests before most people had even finished the quests. Have the most viewed Dagannoth King Guide on YouTube along with several other videos, have written editorials for RuneHead and Tip.It. I had my chat as the chat for another community I am part of for a while. Not to mention my work here as an Admin and Moderator. And how do you know what I do in game? Again more baseless comments from you with absolutely no backing. Kissing Jagex's Ass? Just because I don't declare the sky is falling each time they say something doesn't mean I support everything they do, in fact I bet I actually have problems with more things they do than you do, I just don't publicly announce that. And I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say with that last comment, that I am friends with a few females here? What does that have to do with anything?

I'm not the one claiming things as fact and then not supplying any evidence to back that up.

I'm not the one claiming things as fact and then not supplying any evidence to back that up.

... and I am not the one hiding behind an Admin tag and dragging the thread off-topic ... :P

nyuseg.png

... and I am not the one hiding behind an Admin tag and dragging the thread off-topic ... :P

Again ignoring the points in my post :thumbup:.

How am I dragging it off topic, you're the one who bought things up about Player Mods, I am simply continuing the discussion from there, just because it's gone at a tangent doesn't mean it's off-topic.

Your claiming the Player Mod didn't report the bot, with no evidence to back it up and yet continue to say that you're 100% correct and everyone else is wrong then go around throwing snide comments at people along with back handed comments. If you actually want to discuss things in General DISCUSSION then feel free to do so, but insulting people isn't going to get you anywhere.

Again ignoring the points in my post :thumbup:.

How am I dragging it off topic, you're the one who bought things up about Player Mods, I am simply continuing the discussion from there, just because it's gone at a tangent doesn't mean it's off-topic.

Your claiming the Player Mod didn't report the bot, with no evidence to back it up and yet continue to say that you're 100% correct and everyone else is wrong then go around throwing snide comments at people along with back handed comments. If you actually want to discuss things in General DISCUSSION then feel free to do so, but insulting people isn't going to get you anywhere.

Well -- unlike some people - inasmuch as I cannot be two people at the same time, please explain to me how you can know she DID report the bot? Or did the fact that the bot continued on it's path for SEVERAL HOURS not demonstrate to you that she did nothing at all? Particularly when Jagex was in the midst of it's ball-grasping super-secret-bot-detection-banning scheme?

Frankly, one would think that -- while Jagex was so GUNG-[garden tool] abot banning bots -- when an obvious bot was being obvious for HOURS ON END, you'd think that had she reported it, and Jagex was all over it's hard-on about bannings, that someone would have shown up and banned the bot. No?

No. Nothing. Not a damn thing. Instead, the bot remained. For hours. :shame:

nyuseg.png

Today, I watched a player mod hop from world to world, muting autotypers advertising for websites. Therefore Blyaunte your argument is null and invalid.

Good day ma'am.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The difference is I never once claimed for a fact that she did report the bot, merely suggesting that she might have done. You're the one claiming 100% to the fact that she didn't report the bot.

I imagine they have a huge backlog of reports to look through, hence why it wasn't dealt with in "several hours". Again that's not proof that she didn't report it. While it'd be awesome if the turn around was as low as a few hours (or even lower) that's not realistically possible. I imagine every single one of the detection methods has to be manually checked to make sure that it is indeed correct and to check things such as the account being banned and looking at that person's other accounts to check for activity there (as stated in the post linked at the start of the topic). I would love for them to be banned almost instantly when they're reported and I imagine Jagex feel the same.

No. Nothing. Not a damn thing. Instead, the bot remained. For hours. :shame:

Holy hell, you're not dumb enough to think PMOD reports get processed instantly are you? As a Pmod since the second or third wave, I can tell you from experience as a pmod (half a decade plus of it) - that it's not an instant process, specially when it comes to macro detection

I'd bet you 50 bucks I could go report every ess miner on every world and not one would log out ANYTIME in the next 3-4 hours or longer.

The Pmod system is flawed and those poor bastards chosen for it are cuckolded to a facade of power, respect and hope of a better game.

Jagex doesn't really seem to give a [bleep] about stopping macros though, it's evident from playtime.

Abraham Lincoln