Jagex - Bot Busting

Bows

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she may have had public off...

Public off would only eliminate the "0000000000's" -- you could still see the bot going through the same motions, over and over again.

It was VERY obvious ... <_<

nyuseg.png

Public off would only eliminate the "0000000000's" -- you could still see the bot going through the same motions, over and over again.

An obvious bot being ignored and allowed to prosper? The hell you say!

An obvious bot being ignored and allowed to prosper? The hell you say!

I know, right? I was shocked!! Yes, that's right, shocked! That's it. That's all. Just SHOCKED.

Well -- shocked and appalled. But that's it. Both Shocked and Appalled.

And somewhat dismayed ...

Ok -- I was shocked, appalled and somewhat dismayed. But THAT's it!

Oh -- and I was also disappointed.

GAH!

I'll come back in again ...

*Kudos to anyone who can guess what I am referencing!

nyuseg.png

One of the main bots was down for quite a while after the clan updates this week. Sadly its back up and running and worlds are getting full again *sigh*

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It seems as though Jagex is finally giving out some numbers on accounts they've banned as well as a bit of information on what they do. Granted we already know most of it.

[qfc]129-130-241-62642440[/qfc]

Not only that, they're holding bot busting sessions with maxed players. Bot busting is essentially going to bot hot-spots (Pure Essence in Varrock, TzHaar, etc.) and banning countless accounts. They say anyone can tag along. Meet in world 99 Lumb. Cellar. I don't know the exact times, so you may be late; but if you'd like to tag along I'm sure you know the common bot areas to check. ;)

It's going on right now I guess, and in the days to come as well.

Comments, opinions? Discuss.

Lol, we're invited to come along!? That's hilarious. I'm glad they're actually doing something about this, I get so frustrated trying to train when these stupid bots make my trees/rocks/etc disappear. :(

10zwupx.png

lol. horray for the vexillum! :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If Jagex didn't want bots back as heavy as it used to be, they should have never brought back free trade or wilderness.

I just had a quick read of the RSOF post, only 20,000 caught so far? That's terrible, try adding another 0 to that number, that's what I'd expect to be banned within a space of 2 weeks.

Actually, yesterday on W159, we sat and watched PMOD ignore a "broken" bot in Edgeville.

She did nothing -- didn't even report it -- while it kept trying to bank and typed "000000000000000000000000000000000" over and over again ...

Hell - she couldn't even be bothered to mute the damn thing.

:rolleyes:

Player Moderators are not forced to do anything different while playing the game. Just because they have the power to report does not mean they should. People who call Player Mods to come do something are the most irritating people in the game, "I know a Pmod I'll get them". As a Player Moderator myself there is very very few occasions where I'd go somewhere and do something for the sake of taking action against somebody, it would have to be a very extreme case that needs urgent attention to stop a risk of safety for others.

Also, use your ignore list. I've told you many times before yet you seem to have a problem doing that and always complain about people continuing on saying/doing bad things. Your ignore list exists for a reason, use it.

Actually, yesterday on W159, we sat and watched PMOD ignore a "broken" bot in Edgeville.

She did nothing -- didn't even report it -- while it kept trying to bank and typed "000000000000000000000000000000000" over and over again ...

Player Moderators are not forced to do anything different while playing the game. Just because they have the power to report does not mean they should. People who call Player Mods to come do something are the most irritating people in the game, "I know a Pmod I'll get them". As a Player Moderator myself there is very very few occasions where I'd go somewhere and do something for the sake of taking action against somebody, it would have to be a very extreme case that needs urgent attention to stop a risk of safety for others.

Also, use your ignore list. I've told you many times before yet you seem to have a problem doing that and always complain about people continuing on saying/doing bad things. Your ignore list exists for a reason, use it.

I always wanted to be a PMod. I probably would have non-stop bot hunted/scammer muted in w2. Shame, instead they seem to have given the position to more people who will mute you for saying the F word than people who actually do something.

You aren't forced to do anything different, but you should. If you aren't going to don't accept the [bleep]ing modship.

(Not aimed at you Dark, just relevant to what you said).

Also, i managed to trick skull some CT botters with familiars the other day. Works wonders.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

I always wanted to be a PMod. I probably would have non-stop bot hunted/scammer muted in w2. Shame, instead they seem to have given the position to more people who will mute you for saying the F word than people who actually do something.

You aren't forced to do anything different, but you should. If you aren't going to don't accept the [bleep]ing modship.

Afaik Player Mod reports for bots aren't handled any differently than normal players reporting them, so it doesn't matter who reports them in that case. Your attitude is the exactly opposite of what makes a good player mod. There are better ways of dealing with things than reporting every single person you see for doing the smallest stuff. Going out of your way to find these people is not why I play this game. I use my "powers" when the need arises, I don't go looking for reasons to use it and in my opinion no mod should.

Afaik Player Mod reports for bots aren't handled any differently than normal players reporting them, so it doesn't matter who reports them in that case. Your attitude is the exactly opposite of what makes a good player mod. There are better ways of dealing with things than reporting every single person you see for doing the smallest stuff. Going out of your way to find these people is not why I play this game. I use my "powers" when the need arises, I don't go looking for reasons to use it and in my opinion no mod should.

I wouldn't mute/report for doing "the smallest stuff", just the obvious scammers/botters who clearly have no intention of stopping. And please explain how attempting to mass ban a lot of the obvious rule breakers is a bad thing? Seems like a pretty effective way of dealing with it, they get muted so they can no longer scam and then they are potentially punished further by Jagex. Considering i see 10+ scammers at any time at w2 GE the current way that Jagex/player moderators are "dealing with things" clearly is NOT working.

If PMods started to mute every scammer at GE w2, which would take no longer than a few minutes to do, scammers would come to know that w2 GE is a guaranteed mute/ban and would become far to scared to pull any scams there. And yes, that doesn't solve the problem entirely, but it does a decent chunk of damage to scammers in general and perhaps makes them think about the consequences before they try to scam again.

GuidesForScapers.png

Currently mining a star. It landed next to the iron rocks @ Ardy south. a Lv3 botter with 83 mining totally ignored it and kept mining iron with a bronze pick. w/e, free uber exp for me and 2k extra exp for discovering it :3

Popoto.~<3

If Jagex didn't want bots back as heavy as it used to be, they should have never brought back free trade or wilderness.

I just had a quick read of the RSOF post, only 20,000 caught so far? That's terrible, try adding another 0 to that number, that's what I'd expect to be banned within a space of 2 weeks.

Yea, wasn't Jagex banning 80,000 a week in 2007? That means that they're bot banning capabilities are effectively 1/8th as useful as they were, or they were lying before about the numbers.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I wouldn't mute/report for doing "the smallest stuff", just the obvious scammers/botters who clearly have no intention of stopping. And please explain how attempting to mass ban a lot of the obvious rule breakers is a bad thing? Seems like a pretty effective way of dealing with it, they get muted so they can no longer scam and then they are potentially punished further by Jagex. Considering i see 10+ scammers at any time at w2 GE the current way that Jagex/player moderators are "dealing with things" clearly is NOT working.

If PMods started to mute every scammer at GE w2, which would take no longer than a few minutes to do, scammers would come to know that w2 GE is a guaranteed mute/ban and would become far to scared to pull any scams there. And yes, that doesn't solve the problem entirely, but it does a decent chunk of damage to scammers in general and perhaps makes them think about the consequences before they try to scam again.

Right, as DarkDude98 has said himself...Player Moderators aren't obliged to do anything, in all honesty. I am one myself, and as he, I'm not too keen on going out of my own way to travel to another location to deal with something others can stop themselves. Most people won't report those botters themselves, or add them to their ignore lists, but are more happy to complain when a P-Mod doesn't do it; as if it is our duty...job. It's not. People need to understand that. I can tell you now that if you were one you wouldn't spend all day muting people...That's not the point, at all.

Most people don't learn after being muted, either. I've seen people caught out for scamming, punished, and back doing it a week later.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Yea, wasn't Jagex banning 80,000 a week in 2007? That means that they're bot banning capabilities are effectively 1/8th as useful as they were, or they were lying before about the numbers.

I thought the thread was only talking about the number that they have caught with these bot busting sessions, so 20000 on top of the normal number caught by normal players reporting. But I may be wrong.

There does seem to be an increase of reports of bans. HOWEVER, they're pretty much all 14 day temp bans with no other consequence - if you're gonna temp ban them, why not temp ban AND rollback them Jagex? Otherwise you know that bot will be back at it again when it's unbanned.

Also, the temp ban for "macro minor" AND rollback don't even affect the "greenness" of you offence column. In fact, rollbacked accounts don't even have an offence recorded - wtf is with that? And what is the difference between macro major (only way for perm bans to be handed out it seems) and macro minor? These cheaters are already botting 24/7, solving randoms, auto talker when traded etc.... and that's STILL not major enough for you Jagex?

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

@Newb

I can completely understand why players prefer to request the aid of a player moderator when it comes to reporting bots en masse. In 2007 the bot problem was significant. At the time I cut yews in Rimmington and the 1 minute wait time between reports proved to be quite frustrating given the sheer number of bots. Now, as a player moderator I remember this and regularly make my way to Draynor and other hotspots to report the bots as it is much more efficient without the wait between reports. No one wants to wait around for an hour to report 60 bots.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

So if Jagex can change the code for Aubury with an update to screw up the bots, isn't it possible to write a code that makes his number change randomly every day or so? I don't know coding so no clue how difficult, or even possible, that would be.

So if Jagex can change the code for Aubury with an update to screw up the bots, isn't it possible to write a code that makes his number change randomly every day or so? I don't know coding so no clue how difficult, or even possible, that would be.

This was one idea we looked at previously on the thread about technical solutions for bots. There are a number of different ways such a thing could be done with varying short-term effectiveness, but none of those methods would be any long-term solution. Eventually the bot writers would change from hard-coding ID numbers to parsing out the ones they want to use from particular offsets in the client code.

BTW, I think we did end up with a fairly decent long-term technical solution to bots, it's just that this particular idea didn't end up being the one.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Right, as DarkDude98 has said himself...Player Moderators aren't obliged to do anything, in all honesty. I am one myself, and as he, I'm not too keen on going out of my own way to travel to another location to deal with something others can stop themselves. Most people won't report those botters themselves, or add them to their ignore lists, but are more happy to complain when a P-Mod doesn't do it; as if it is our duty...job. It's not. People need to understand that. I can tell you now that if you were one you wouldn't spend all day muting people...That's not the point, at all.

Most people don't learn after being muted, either. I've seen people caught out for scamming, punished, and back doing it a week later.

You aren't obliged to, but you should. I'm not saying go out of your way to go there and do all this, but i've seen player mods at w2 GE blatantly ignoring the completely impossible to miss masses of scammers. It would take a PMod literally 10 seconds to mute a scammer and potentially save someone from being scammed, and if a PMod is there and not willing to go out of their way to moderate, why are they a mod to start?

GuidesForScapers.png