Jagex - Bot Busting

Bows

I do actually go out of my way to report hundreds of bots a day. It's one way of giving back, since I'm not going to mute people for cursing. Hell, I curse at the bots. In Chinese.

Normal player reports are treated similarly, except they have the 60-second limit between reports. Macro reports just set the system in motion and it's all (ironically) automated from there on. It DOES work. And they're working on newer, bigger, better ways to catch cheaters. They just won't let on how. ;)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, smithing in W7 today I ran into a 'mule' that RWT sites use to gather together all of the items/gp from goldfarming bots. In the 1.5h that they were transfering, I reported over 200 bots. That's just the bots that traded this 1 mule!

Quite honestly, I can understand not perm banning P2P accounts because of all the income they get from them, but these were all F2P goldfarming bots. There is no reason at all to let them survive, and the problem is that they do let them go on.

I think that Jagex really wants to ban bots, but their detection systems fail and they genuinely can't tell the difference between a player and a bot most of the time.

2480+ total

I think that Jagex really wants to ban bots, but their detection systems fail and they genuinely can't tell the difference between a player and a bot most of the time.

Not so at all. A genuine player, even if he/she is a serial grind-trainer, shows variation in their gameplay. A bot generally does not. It is not that hard for a large group of computer programmers to generate a method of detecting the use of other (3rd party) programs to interact with theirs.

For instance, the bots which fight Chaos Mages. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to their actions but in reality, they follow a scripted course, just like every other bot ever.

JaGEx's detection systems do fail sometimes, but never (as far as I hear) has it resulted in a wrongful ban for macroing. With bots being just about any level, though, it's not going to get any easier to tell...I'll admit to that. :(

Not so at all. A genuine player, even if he/she is a serial grind-trainer, shows variation in their gameplay. A bot generally does not. It is not that hard for a large group of computer programmers to generate a method of detecting the use of other (3rd party) programs to interact with theirs.

For instance, the bots which fight Chaos Mages. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to their actions but in reality, they follow a scripted course, just like every other bot ever.

JaGEx's detection systems do fail sometimes, but never (as far as I hear) has it resulted in a wrongful ban for macroing. With bots being just about any level, though, it's not going to get any easier to tell...I'll admit to that. :(

Bots are programmed to misclick, chat every now and then in cc, take breaks and log back in, pause for some time etc

Almost full antiban movements

Only way Jagex will know they are botting is if the scripter had a bug, bot gets stuck, and someone reports it.

What?

m_theory11.png

Well they don't fool me. :P

I don't claim to be an expert on how they work, I guess I've just seen them so much I've grown used to their presence. I used to run a skilling clan (technically still do) and bot-hunting was one of our regular events. Seems a bit silly, but I can't help but feel it helps a little.

And they're working on newer, bigger, better ways to catch cheaters. They just won't let on how. ;)

Ooo, like they have been over the past 8 years? I can see they're doing excellent work.

09144a99bb.png

Bots are programmed to misclick, chat every now and then in cc, take breaks and log back in, pause for some time etc

Almost full antiban movements

Only way Jagex will know they are botting is if the scripter had a bug, bot gets stuck, and someone reports it.

Well if I can tell who's botting easily I'm pretty sure they can.

372nd to max total level

These bots were pretty obvious...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

These bots were pretty obvious...

Nice vid, I noticed this on a couple worlds, when I was training thieving, but ended up world hopping, because that elemental would get me about half of the time. Sad how many are botting, around 20+ bots there on every member server. I wouldn't want to imagine the qc only server.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I imagine the level 3 has to be a dead giveaway, but alas, I'm just a poor young girl who can recognize a bot and Jagex is full of people who cannot... or won't.

this thread makes the same argument over and over and over. YES, we understand that any human eye can catch and tell who is a bot and who isn't, but Jagex cant have people watching every server, and every high botting area all the time. it is simply impossible. they rely on computer detection. Here in itself is another problem, you cant just ban anyone for doing repetitive bot-like actions, because thats what the game is! repetitive actions, and some players are great are matching the same keystrokes or mouse swipes in the same time, its called muscle memory. Jagex has to come up with something that can ban bots without banning real players while at the same time making it general enought to cover the entire game. all of this while botting sites are just getting more advanced.

in total: stop saying you can catch bots so why cant jagex. it is the most idiotic argument that you can possibly make!

Y_Z.png

I imagine the level 3 has to be a dead giveaway, but alas, I'm just a poor young girl who can recognize a bot and Jagex is full of people who cannot... or won't.

this thread makes the same argument over and over and over. YES, we understand that any human eye can catch and tell who is a bot and who isn't, but Jagex cant have people watching every server, and every high botting area all the time. it is simply impossible. they rely on computer detection. Here in itself is another problem, you cant just ban anyone for doing repetitive bot-like actions, because thats what the game is! repetitive actions, and some players are great are matching the same keystrokes or mouse swipes in the same time, its called muscle memory. Jagex has to come up with something that can ban bots without banning real players while at the same time making it general enought to cover the entire game. all of this while botting sites are just getting more advanced.

in total: stop saying you can catch bots so why cant jagex. it is the most idiotic argument that you can possibly make!

Last statistic i heard was £18m profit in 2009 for Jagex. With profits like that, why would it be so very tricky for them to employ even a few people to full time bot-bust. Given a standard work day and administrative powers, i have no doubt that i could solo clear out 50 worlds of most bots. Obviously, there would always be SOME that would slip through, but it would only be a matter of time. If word gets out Jagex are banning ruthlessly, you could just watch the numbers of bots depleting.

Jagex have the potential to attain the resources needed, they just choose not to do so.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

I think most of us are upset because of Jagex blowing smoke up our ass about their ultra new bot detection and when the bots come back, they are completely unable to deal with it so they just stop bothering.

I think this is their new bot detection system they were talking about.

[hide]Bad%20network.jpg[/hide]

At this point, I think Jagex defnitely have the capacity to detect bots but are deliberately not doing anything with them.

When they did the rollbacks, there was literally panic all over the botting forums and RSOF and the numbers were HUGE compared to how many are banned now.

They detect 23,000 bots this month - that's not great considering there are pereneially 40,000-60,000 bots online but that's a good number anyways.

But here's the thing, they DETECT them but then do next to nothing about them. And then lie to our faces about how much they're doing. Pretty despicable corporate tactics that I would not expect from Jagex.

Nice pic, Bangin_Blonde.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

At this point, I think Jagex defnitely have the capacity to detect bots but are deliberately not doing anything with them.

When they did the rollbacks, there was literally panic all over the botting forums and RSOF and the numbers were HUGE compared to how many are banned now.

They detect 23,000 bots this month - that's not great considering there are pereneially 40,000-60,000 bots online but that's a good number anyways.

But here's the thing, they DETECT them but then do next to nothing about them. And then lie to our faces about how much they're doing. Pretty despicable corporate tactics that I would not expect from Jagex.

Nice pic, Bangin_Blonde.

Probably due to them selling out to the US..

And when you sold out to the US the only thing that matters is money, money money.

In the US no one cares about ethics anymore.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Last statistic i heard was £18m profit in 2009 for Jagex. With profits like that, why would it be so very tricky for them to employ even a few people to full time bot-bust. Given a standard work day and administrative powers, i have no doubt that i could solo clear out 50 worlds of most bots. Obviously, there would always be SOME that would slip through, but it would only be a matter of time. If word gets out Jagex are banning ruthlessly, you could just watch the numbers of bots depleting.

Jagex have the potential to attain the resources needed, they just choose not to do so.

and where exactly do you think a damn good chunk of that profit is coming from? :rolleyes:

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Nice pic, Bangin_Blonde.

Probably due to them selling out to the US..

And when you sold out to the US the only thing that matters is money, money money.

In the US no one cares about ethics anymore.

I care about ethics. I care how much I can get for forsaking them. :D

I'm happy to see that Jagex is finally putting their foot down on this issue.

It's too bad we can't mow down all those bots with an M2 Browning machine gun. :P

If that were possible, i'd be the first in line to apply for being your ammo carrier :P

What we need is not 1 M2 Browning, we gotta sweep the whole world with a friggin flamethrower-equiped division

OT: In my humble opinion, I still think they should remove Free trade asap, they've clearly proven nable to stop the bots, which they promised they would

It would not only effectively stop the bots, but it's also a good protection against scammers

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]

I'm happy to see that Jagex is finally putting their foot down on this issue.

It's too bad we can't mow down all those bots with an M2 Browning machine gun. :P

If that were possible, i'd be the first in line to apply for being your ammo carrier :P

What we need is not 1 M2 Browning, we gotta sweep the whole world with a friggin flamethrower-equiped division

OT: In my humble opinion, I still think they should remove Free trade asap, they've clearly proven nable to stop the bots, which they promised they would

It would not only effectively stop the bots, but it's also a good protection against scammers

[hide]216957_192082254170061_100001048641364_519056_4301744_n.jpg[/hide]

"Don't worry about the bots. I'm on it!" :thumbup:

Recently, I've noticed a certain type of bot (I have no idea what skill it's for, the bots range from lvl 100+ in full rune to level 3s with bronze pick/hatchet) that's been getting stuck in Varrock west bank. They run from in the bank, north to the dead bush, then back to the bank. Anyway....I figured even if I told Jagex about the broken bots they wouldn't go looking for them, so I took it upon myself. 2 hours, 60 worlds (all of the F2P worlds) and over 300 bots reported (using a conservative average of 5 per world including the non-stuck bots I saw in the bank) I'm finally done.

Now we just sit back and hope Jagex does something about them.