Jagex - Bot Busting

Bows

Let's be honest here. Jagex isn't fighting bots. They don't care. They just want to pump out content, milk the game for everything that it's worth, and move on. They know this game slowing down. They know it's got a shelf life and sooner, rather than later, it'll be over. Whenever you hear Jagex start talking about a new game of theirs, you can be sure RS is gonna be dead 3 months after.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same 50 players have been botting in Catherby for weeks. They're still there.

And that's what is sad. You can be guaranteed that other people have reported them, thus bringing it directly to Jagex's attention that, "Hey, person x is botting!" and they still can't detect and ban them.

The same thing goes with Soul Wars. I see the same people there for months. We have fun trapping them behind cades to get them kicked from game... But they started getting smart and using crossbows. So I used a Forge Regent to un-equip their weapon, trapped them again, and they get booted from game. But these people have been reported and have literally still been there for months!

09144a99bb.png

Someone before mentioned that the Blizzard anti-bot system just catches the obvious 24/7 bots, but I think you underestimate the situation here. Three weeks ago I saw some people woodcutting and dropping logs, at seers village. The same people are there today, moving in unchanging patterns for hours straight, precision that, impossible to a human being. Now there's no such thing as a "suicide bot" for one can bot for months straight, gain levels, items, whatever you want and continue on, like its legit. Even after being reported by 20 something people.

What to do you say? make a system that recognises pattern walking, hire a few anti-bot technicians to do some manual bans. EVen then I wouldn't expect much, 40% bot fall at most. After all nothing we can about JaGeX being liars and noobs.

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

The same 50 players have been botting in Catherby for weeks. They're still there.

And that's what is sad. You can be guaranteed that other people have reported them, thus bringing it directly to Jagex's attention that, "Hey, person x is botting!" and they still can't detect and ban them.

The same thing goes with Soul Wars. I see the same people there for months. We have fun trapping them behind cades to get them kicked from game... But they started getting smart and using crossbows. So I used a Forge Regent to un-equip their weapon, trapped them again, and they get booted from game. But these people have been reported and have literally still been there for months!

It's the same thing, apparently, at Pest Control as well. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

It's the same in many other minigames or diversion areas. Makes you almost want to leave entirely, eh?

I'm going to play my backlog of games and won't log on much except to check on updates. I've pretty much exhausted what I want to do. Too much to hope that Jagex will fix this problem within the year.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

It's the same in many other minigames or diversion areas. Makes you almost want to leave entirely, eh?

I'm going to play my backlog of games and won't log on much except to check on updates. I've pretty much exhausted what I want to do. Too much to hope that Jagex will fix this problem within the year.

What I'd like is for Jagex to just step up, this once, and be honest with their customers.

Just once.

nyuseg.png

Not really. In-fact I think it probably simply tempts more people to bot seeing as there are no consequences and the only bots that are detectable are the ones writen in under 5 minutes. 10 minutes and it's undetectable.

World 9 Soul Wars used to be a nice relaxed / small Soul Wars world. Now there are more botters then legit players. =/

09144a99bb.png

What I'd like is for Jagex to just step up, this once, and be honest with their customers.

Just once.

Wow, you must have a real sense of humor. ;)

Not really. In-fact I think it probably simply tempts more people to bot seeing as there are no consequences and the only bots that are detectable are the ones writen in under 5 minutes. 10 minutes and it's undetectable.

World 9 Soul Wars used to be a nice relaxed / small Soul Wars world. Now there are more botters then legit players. =/

And this is exactly what is happening. You're seeing an unprecedented amount of people botting on their high-level MAINS, something I don't even think was commonplace during the bot wars of 2007. People have no fear of getting punished for breaking the rules anymore, so aside from the risk of getting hacked, they see no reason why they shouldn't bot or try to scam people.

In a community without rules, anarchy reigns and morality ceases to exist. After all, morality and conscience are directly influenced by what society defines as "the rules." Why is killing a person any different from killing a rat? You don't feel anything when you kill a rat, do you? Killing a rat is still taking the life of another creature. But the thought of killing another person is repulsive, is it not? We are taught "the rules" at a very young age, and so our sense of what is "right" and "wrong" is defined by what we perceive as against "the rules." Society has maintained "rules" prohibiting people from killing other people since the beginning of time, so we associate harsh punishment as a consequence of murder, and therefore the thought of murder elicits negative feelings and anxiety in us.

Now, this is a game, and obviously breaking the rules in game can't be equated to killing a person in real life. But the thought behind "why people feel compelled to bot now when they were once afraid to" is the same. It's very easy to rationalize away morality when there are no rules to consider. They no longer fear repercussions for it, and therefore in their minds it is "okay."

td2sig.jpg

And this is exactly what is happening. You're seeing an unprecedented amount of people botting on their high-level MAINS, something I don't even think was commonplace during the bot wars of 2007. People have no fear of getting punished for breaking the rules anymore, so aside from the risk of getting hacked, they see no reason why they shouldn't bot or try to scam people.

Now, this is a game, and obviously breaking the rules in game can't be equated to killing a person in real life. But the thought behind "why people feel compelled to bot now when they were once afraid to" is the same. It's very easy to rationalize away morality when there are no rules to consider. They no longer fear repercussions for it, and therefore in their minds it is "okay."

Botting on mains pre-2007 wasn't commonplace because it was hush-hush. They tried to keep their heads down somewhat. Now you hear more of it because people are bragging how they botted firemaking to 99.

When a breakdown of the game happens, the only rules are the rules you set for yourself.

This isn't a good time for those who want to play the rank climbing/reputation game either.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Surprisingly, this Bot Busting has taken some effect. It may only be temporary but it's gotten number of bot users banned. I know people who have several rc bots, papaya bots, ess bots etc running 24/7 at once as gold farm accounts, some with over 20M rc exp without getting banned but just recently temp banned or rolled back (cash, items, and exp). Many are temporarily stopping due to bot busting. Little win for Jagex lol, too bad they need jmods to come do it manually.

What?

m_theory11.png

I'm cutting yews in Varrock right now and there is only 1 other person. The Grand Exchange is also empty.

It's update day, usually the bots are devoid then.

Also, the recent clan changes brought some pretty major changes to how the game and even the site is scripted. So, I suspect there won't be much bots for a few days.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I'm cutting yews in Varrock right now and there is only 1 other person. The Grand Exchange is also empty.

Also, the recent clan changes brought some pretty major changes to how the game and even the site is scripted. So, I suspect there won't be much bots for a few days.

... and yet, once again, Jagex goes a-bot-bustin' -- entirely by accident ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

... and yet, once again, Jagex goes a-bot-bustin' -- entirely by accident ... :rolleyes:

Jagex does their best work by accident.

But there are lots of bots, does the above number even have an effect?

In short - Yes.

[bluff] Not only do we catch hundreds of thousands people through our current systems [/bluff], but people who think they can get away with it just once or twice by popping in-game to bot now have the added risk of bumping into a group of 200 players, 5+ JMods and a load of PMods. Where we go is random, we cover all worlds [bluff] and people cheating should be worried [/bluff].

There is no such thing as a 'safe' place to cheat. If you cheat, you're going to get caught. If it's not instant, it will catch up with you.

Um... Lol? I'll be the first to call bull-[cabbage]. For catching hundreds of thousands each year, they can't even manage to find the ones I report a Soul Wars who have been there for 3 months.

Nice scare tactic Jagex. Let's see how many people you manage to fool. Your bot detection system is garbage. End of story.

Lol that i have an account with 96 mining. Been at least 2 years now Jagex, how long does it take you to "catch up"?

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

Jagex has never cared about bots. I report multiple botters day after day.

Example: I saw the same L135 in my favorite world every day on my farm tour.

No matter how many times I passed Catherby the bot was there. Suddenly I noticed it was gone and when I ran from ardy farm patch to coal/iron spot I noticed it was there

powermining iron. I checked the highscores and it was L99 and I guess now suiciding to get L99 mining.

Not only do I report it regularly others obviously will do the same. Weeks later it's still in highscores. Makes me mad tbh

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

Actually, yesterday on W159, we sat and watched PMOD ignore a "broken" bot in Edgeville.

She did nothing -- didn't even report it -- while it kept trying to bank and typed "000000000000000000000000000000000" over and over again ...

Hell - she couldn't even be bothered to mute the damn thing.

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Actually, yesterday on W159, we sat and watched PMOD ignore a "broken" bot in Edgeville.

She did nothing -- didn't even report it -- while it kept trying to bank and typed "000000000000000000000000000000000" over and over again ...

You know what I would like to do that mod? Slap her over the face with a trout. Sure, mods are not forced to act, but when it's so obvious and so easy to report you have to be a fool not to report it.

You know what I would like to do that mod? Slap her over the face with a trout. Sure, mods are not forced to act, but when it's so obvious and so easy to report you have to be a fool not to report it.

Sadly -- I've see this kind of thing happening all the time, every day.

I've sat fishing with friends on the beach in Catherby (it's a social thing), and watched numerous bots wander up and down the same segment of beach, waiting for a Cage/Harpoon spot to appear, all the while a Pmod sits on the beach and does bupkus about it.

I'm only mentioning this most recent case in light of the "we're busting dem bots" announcement ...

<_<

nyuseg.png

I've sat fishing with friends on the beach in Catherby (it's a social thing), and watched numerous bots wander up and down the same segment of beach, waiting for a Cage/Harpoon spot to appear, all the while a Pmod sits on the beach and does bupkus about it.

I'm only mentioning this most recent case in light of the "we're busting dem bots" announcement ...

<_<

That's because Jagex has the worst standards of any MMO for their player moderators, and that just leads to trashy moderators.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

<_<

That's because Jagex has the worst standards of any MMO for their player moderators, and that just leads to trashy moderators.

Oh -- don't get me started on THAT topic ...

gaah.gif

nyuseg.png