Jagex - Bot Busting

Bows

I see this not so much as a PR grab, but as the first official acknowledgement from Jagex that there is a problem that needs fixing.

Is it the right solution to the problem? Not likely, when there are other potentially better methods (Automated scripts that catch bots that repeat actions, retconning all the gameplay in RS to be vastly less repetitive so as to not be as bottable, etc.) but this is a start. Give them ideas (for our friends in the HLF, maybe there is a good place to start) and maybe now they'll listen.

I'm encouraged by this development.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

Really suprised you think it's the first time they've noted bots..

Wish I could post on the topic, wait can you post on F2P nowadays??

Anyways I'd wanna know that if they're so up for banning bots how they can possibly allow suicide bots to go without punishment.,.?

^^

Admittedly I don't monitor the RSOF for Jagex posts. I think I visit RSOF approximately once a month on my own, maybe one or two more times beyond that if linked there by a forum post (like the OP in this thread). Have they admitted to bots being a problem other times? If so, I admit to being completely clueless.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

^^

Admittedly I don't monitor the RSOF for Jagex posts. I think I visit RSOF approximately once a month on my own, maybe one or two more times beyond that if linked there by a forum post (like the OP in this thread). Have they admitted to bots being a problem other times? If so, I admit to being completely clueless.

I dunno I guess when they removed free trade and around that time there was alot of bot news on front page, also when they were bringing it back they mentioned it. I dunno I've seen qwuite a lot of bot news on RS. Dunno though, doesn't really matter :P

The above number will always just be a fraction of the number that we take action against behind the scenes using our own, secret systems.

We can link accounts in multiple ways - which again, we cannot go into - and people who think that they can get away with having 'secret' accounts will be very sorely disappointed.

I am SO glad that they have their "super secret" (read: "non-existent") method of bot detection. Wow -- we're all SO impressed over hear, I can tell you! It's like, you got this whole "secret" thing that's, you know, secret and uh ... well ... :unsure:

Apparently, with every 100 bots "captured" each Jmod & Pmod will be awarded a super-secret-decoder-ring ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

What a huge steaming pile of [cabbage]. Bla bla bla bot detecting system bla bla bla bot bust bla bla bla.

Not enough people are getting banned, i still see hundreds of bots daily and a certain bot i have reported multiple times is still not banned.

The above number will always just be a fraction of the number that we take action against behind the scenes using our own, secret systems.

We can link accounts in multiple ways - which again, we cannot go into - and people who think that they can get away with having 'secret' accounts will be very sorely disappointed.

I am SO glad that they have their "super secret" (read: "non-existent") method of bot detection. Wow -- we're all SO impressed over hear, I can tell you! It's like, you got this whole "secret" thing that's, you know, secret and uh ... well ... :unsure:

Apparently, with every 100 bots "captured" each Jmod & Pmod will be awarded a super-secret-decoder-ring ... :rolleyes:

It would be idiotic for them to describe their systems. They are a trap for bots, letting them know where the trap is and how it works would make it less effective.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

What a huge steaming pile of [cabbage]. Bla bla bla bot detecting system bla bla bla bot bust bla bla bla.

Not enough people are getting banned, i still see hundreds of bots daily and a certain bot i have reported multiple times is still not banned.

Another 'great' example of only complaining and not coming up with ideas. Too easy. Don't lower yourself to the level of ranters on the RSOF please?

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]

It would be idiotic for them to describe their systems. They are a trap for bots, letting them know where the trap is and how it works would make it less effective.

Uh huh -- sure. And describing how Santa Clause manages to make it all the way around the world in one night, distributing toys to good children all over the planet, doesn't make IT any less effective -- or believable for that matter.

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Another 'great' example of only complaining and not coming up with ideas. Too easy. Don't lower yourself to the level of ranters on the RSOF please?

Seriously, the ranters on rsof are absolutely correct and they have every right to be angry, we're all paying afterall.

Come up with ideas ? Why bother, jagex won't listen, besides there are plenty of great suggestions in the "how would you catch bots" thread and i also posted mine there.

It just pisses me off that Jagex is trying to make it look like they're doing something, but they're not doing enough. They should save us from the [cabbage] and admit that they have no real bot detection systems.

It probably is extremely hard to detect bots and i believe that drastic changes need to be made.

I would pay extra, if Jagex needed the extra money to combat botting. It would be even better if they stopped updating the game for a while and focused every resource on combating cheating instead.

//haha, and yes, it is me, i just changed my display name.

Seriously, the ranters on rsof are absolutely correct and they have every right to be angry, we're all paying afterall.

Come up with ideas ? Why bother, jagex won't listen, besides there are plenty of great suggestions in the "how would you catch bots" thread and i also posted mine there.

It just pisses me off that Jagex is trying to make it look like they're doing something, but they're not doing enough. They should save us from the [cabbage] and admit that they have no real bot detection systems.

It probably is extremely hard to detect bots and i believe that drastic changes need to be made.

I would pay extra, if Jagex needed the extra money to combat botting. It would be even better if they stopped updating the game for a while and focused every resource on combating cheating instead.

Or, make the final decision you don't like the game with all these bots, stop complaining and quit? I enjoy the way it is tbh. I don't play for ranks, I play for my own fun. I see bots everywhere, but ah well, I would never resort to it as it wouldn't give me fun. Easy as that.

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]

Well done on the but-busting hunts, I hope they continue and in greater frequency.

I disagree with people that say their bot detection systems are like the TV detector vans (non existent) and I do believe they exist, however, I think that certainly at the moment Jagex is losing the battle.

As for the statements about how their techniques are secret etc etc security through obscurity is poor practice and some of the advanced bots probably already know how to evade their systems. Like Claude Shannon (the "father" of Information Theory) once said... "the enemy knows the system".

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Oh Jagex, u so silly with your secret non-existent bot detection systems.

And frankly, I'm not going to come up with my own ideas for catching bots. That's part of what we're paying Jagex to do, isn't it?

I just wish they'd start really enforcing their own stupid rule, or just remove the rule entirely.

a70c7.png

Idealism vs Cynicism argument again.

*Yawn.*

[/25,871st thread]

"Omg Jagex needs to up their anti-botting"

"How do"

"Just do"

also

"World peace"

"How do"

"Just do"

Yadayadayada.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Or, make the final decision you don't like the game with all these bots, stop complaining and quit? I enjoy the way it is tbh. I don't play for ranks, I play for my own fun. I see bots everywhere, but ah well, I would never resort to it as it wouldn't give me fun. Easy as that.

It just makes me sad seeing a game i have played and loved since i was a little kid going down the drain.

I'd prefer it if they just allowed botting outright instead of being in some sort of in-between. Either you ban bots and everyone plays fairly, or you allow bots and everybody bots. Either way, there's a sense of fairness that everybody is on the same page.

2480+ total

Given how vulnerable the game is to botting, I don't understand why they bother even trying to fix the problem, especially when only a few months ago they essentially relaxed the punishments for botting. You whip up a crowd with one hand, while loosening the noose with the other. Just seeks like a convenient way for Jagex to state the blindingly obvious: don't cheat, pretty please with a cherry on top.

they usually just go around a hotspot like the mining guild and ban a few bots and just sit there and talk the rest of the time.

This is more of a publicity stunt so people know they're trying to stop botting. Perm banning 100 people and letting thousands of other suiciding gold farmers get away with just temp bans isn't solving the problem.

are pissed at Jagex for outright lying about their ability to detect bots.

:thumbup:

More like sick of the fact that Jagex appears to have made it a habit to lie to their players as if we're all ignorant 12-year-olds. xD

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Can people who say "stop criticizing jagex without giving good suggestions" please read this topic before EVER replying again?

I made a strong suggestion already on page 1.. Yet it seems to be ignored by everyone of those jagex lovers, maybe because they couldn't easily say anything about it?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Can people who say "stop criticizing jagex without giving good suggestions" please read this topic before EVER replying again?

I made a strong suggestion already on page 1.. Yet it seems to be ignored by everyone of those jagex lovers, maybe because they couldn't easily say anything about it?

"Good suggestion" is a subjective. Forcing people to do everything in groups changes this game radically. Too radically. There's already a large enough userbase that feels strongly against DG and it forcing people to team in order to get a decent amount of XP. You're basically asking Jagex to completely reinvent the entire game for 24/25 skills, and not even guaranteeing that people will enjoy the change. There's a huge probability (especially in RuneScape) that every change to something existing will be met with a huge pile of disgust and will very likely make a large group of people quit the game entirely.

It's a poor suggestion. Jagex took 3 months to make restricted trade somewhat comparable to free trade. And by comparison, that change isn't even half as radical as what you are suggesting. Have you stopped and thinked how the general demograph is going to respond to that change?

RuneScapers are generally not open-minded people.

EDIT: All you need is a hub and the same software to coordinate multiple computers to do a group effort.

There, I made a bot suggestion for your "solution". It's not even that hard to design.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]