Runescape after death?

mikeg0477

People actually have considered putting their RS account in their will?

But how would Jagex ever know?

This pretty much sums up all my thoughts on the thread.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I can see it now.

Lawyer: "He was a good man. He left his family all his financial assets to divide evenly. His spouse was left the house as well. And his best friend "pr0 h4x 901" gets his runescape account password and all his runescape possessions."

Crowd: "Aaaaaawwweeeeeee......how sweet. Wait, wtf? He bequeathed a dude his video game account?"

I mean, I cannot imagine why anyone would. That would almost seem like an insult, at least to me.

OR:

To my family; I'm sorry I wasted spent all my money on online games, but now you can have the accounts to remember me by!

Username: Pr0 h4x 901

Password: *censored*

That would be a great troll.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

I'd like to see the person who inherited the account explain himself to the deceased's friend's list.

Or they can bother not explaining and just delete the entire list, no problem then. Callous, but there it is.

May those who have actually passed away - godspeed, The Old Nite - rest in peace.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

The thought crossed my mind a few times. I don't care if my account is gone, but I would hope my IRC, Steam, and irl friends knew of my passing. I've thought of making a text document with instructions just in case.

Jagex might own your account but they offer a service, so stop looking at it like it is an object.

There should be a policy for the death of customer that says what is allowed and what not.

I personally would say that direct family can take over the service or manage it.

That person might need the deceased credit card info to maybe cancel subscriptions.

They do have a polcy.

"Each account should only be used by ONE person. Account sharing is NOT allowed. You may not sell, transfer or lend your account to anyone else, or permit anyone else to use your account, and you may not accept an account that anybody else offers you."

"3. Can I sell the 'time' I have put into the account?

No. Under the game rules each account should only be used by one person. This applies throughout the lifetime of that account. In order to sell the 'time' you have put into an account, you would have to transfer or lend the account to someone else, thereby breaking the game rules."

10xy5fk.png

They do not allow it. In fact, if they learn/confirm that a player has become deceased, they will remove their toon from the highscores and active play. It happened with Shiva within a week of being reported.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

They do not allow it. In fact, if they learn/confirm that a player has become deceased, they will remove their toon from the highscores and active play. It happened with Shiva within a week of being reported.

Maybe some sort of special highscore for those individual? I always think that if a person dies, his/her account will die with them, after all, its who the player is, not the achievement (at least IMO)

a happy Runescaper

Central, I think some still-sensitive family members wouldn't like a "dead" highscores list. It'd also be pretty unexciting as accounts would only be added, never leveling up.

Just sayin'

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

You'd be surprised at the number of account sharing instances happen with no consequences in the clan world. So it's highly possible.

However, as others have said, it wouldn't be protected legally because it isn't your account. If you died and you used someone else's lawn mower, that lawn mower can't be put in your will because it's someone else's lawn mower. Even if you use it all the time, etc.

Not to mention the whole "internet with little to no regulation" argument.

j0xPu5R.png

Jagex has always maintained that all player accounts are Jagex's own intellectual property. It's stated in numerous locations all over the Runescape site. As such, technically, you cannot bequeath that which does not belong to you under a Testamentary document (Will).

That said you can pretty much say anything you want in your Will although any lawyer preparing said document will look at you sideways. In the end, it is up to your Executors/Trustees to carry out your wishes, and why you'd want to saddle them with this kind of bequest is totally beyond the scope of normality.

Still as of the date of this writing I know of four people who have claimed to have "died" and had their accounts taken-over by some form of "representative".

Oh, this isn't "X". She passed away. She had a heart attack and fell out of window, onto exploding bomb, and was killed in a shooting accident. This is her sister ...

:unsure:

Personally, IMO, these four people didn't actually "die", but rather feigned (claimed) death in order to get out of the sticky drama into which all of them were embroiled ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Central, I think some still-sensitive family members wouldn't like a "dead" highscores list. It'd also be pretty unexciting as accounts would only be added, never leveling up.

Just sayin'

True enough, then I would opt for delete the account all together.

a happy Runescaper

I think this is a legitimate question considering the longetivity of this game.

It has run for a decade now and don't color me surprised if it run for a decade more. How many of us are guaranteed to survive for twenty years straight? We already had a high profile passing - The Old Nite - so why aren't we considering this issue more seriously?

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

I think this is a legitimate question considering the longetivity of this game.

It has run for a decade now and don't color me surprised if it run for a decade more. How many of us are guaranteed to survive for twenty years straight? We already had a high profile passing - The Old Nite - so why aren't we considering this issue more seriously?

Because death is 100x more serious then a RuneScape account.

I'd also like to find the number of people who play RS who have actual will's, the number of people who play RS who actually have someone they could pass their account to, and the number of people who fall into both categories. That will not be a particularly large number.

Plus, the issue is already settled. Jagex doesn't allow you to put your acc in your will. But, if you do put it in your will, how will they find out? (Unless the local media makes a news story outta it or something.)

Also, I fail to see the importance of passing your RS account to someone else when you die.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Why would anybody put that in their will? They would just write down the username and password and give it to whoever. There's no need to try and make it "official" by putting it in a will.

2480+ total

I'm not sure if this topic has ever come up, but with account sharing being against the rules, could I leave someone my RS account in my will?

And for the record, I'm fine, not dying, just curious.

Unless you're 70+ or have been recently diagnosed with cancer, I would very much worry about the game dying to bots and/or Jagex abandoning it for a new game rather than you dying..... :^o

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Well, a will is a legal document, so the person the account is left to has that on their side in order to bring to Jagex as proof.

I highly doubt Jagex would refute or refuse the last wishes of an individual leaving something to a friend or family member.

Also, it is not like Jagex would really know if another person continually began using an account if it was not shared prior to the death of the individual. It is not as if Jagex thought I was hijacking an account when I moved from Texas to California. My IP address may have changed, but that doesnt mean I am not still me. They would not know the difference.

It's not legally yours, so a legal document in relation to this is foolish if you think it will hold any weight. That's like going out and renting a car, knowing that you have very little time left to live so putting that car in your will. It's not legally yours so you can't legally transfer ownership of it, because you never owned it.

And I don't know, I think it would be pretty sick (Not sick in the "Cool" sense, just disturbing) to be playing on the account of someone you knew who has been deceased..."Hey Tom!", "Oh no Tom died, I am his son..."...Awkward moment?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

But people just IMAGINE, you are one of the top 10, and you die. Would you SERIOUSLY let the account die with you, or would you give it to a family member?

I'd let it die with me. I'd rather be a legend then risk having my good name sullied by the actions of others.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

But how would Jagex ever know? Sure there'd be an IP change, but sicne the old IP would assumably stop logging onto that account, then wouldn't the detection system assume a enw computer was bought?

Most likely due to the fact that the credit card company will inform Jagex after the person has pass away.