Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Runescape after death?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

mikeg0477
[ Display Name History ]

mikeg0477

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • RSN:Boston Tours
  • Clan:Bassmasters
I'm not sure if this topic has ever come up, but with account sharing being against the rules, could I leave someone my RS account in my will?

And for the record, I'm fine, not dying, just curious.

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
I think in most games like this the account is technically the property of the game company.

This is just another consequence of the whole "internet isn't regulated by anybody" deal.

8f14270694.jpg

shasta_sms
[ Display Name History ]

shasta_sms

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • RSN:Shasta_Sms
Could you in your will give someone the password to your account. I would say yes, since Jagex has no way of checking and being 100% sure and even then you would really not be sharing since you obviously would no longer have an ability to use that account, though tbh to inherit an account would take the fun out of the game at least from my perspective since I find it fun to lv up and all.

sigre4.png
999r.png

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • RSN:Wessan
Sharing an account constitutes an agreement between two people to use an account at the same time. Therefore, if you are no longer alive to use the account and it was not traded or sold through a 3rd party, this could not be considered account sharing.

wessan.png

_YB_
[ Display Name History ]

_YB_

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 100 posts
No Jagex could think that that person hacked the account ( yes I have experience)
Posted Image

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
Well, a will is a legal document, so the person the account is left to has that on their side in order to bring to Jagex as proof.

I highly doubt Jagex would refute or refuse the last wishes of an individual leaving something to a friend or family member.

Also, it is not like Jagex would really know if another person continually began using an account if it was not shared prior to the death of the individual. It is not as if Jagex thought I was hijacking an account when I moved from Texas to California. My IP address may have changed, but that doesnt mean I am not still me. They would not know the difference.

wessan.png

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies
Well technically, as stril pointed out, your account is their property, and you can't leave someone else's property in your will. I suppose you could leave a password and a username and a url and maybe they'll put two and two together...

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
"Your account" isn't yours at all, its the property of Jagex. You can't give "your account" away, because its not yours to give.

And typically when you die you'll find yourself in lumby or fally :twss:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
Okay so, Jagex owns the account, not you.

Say you leave the name and password in your will for someone to use. Thats an easy passing along. Jagex would not know unless it was a members account which would bounce when the validity of the credit card dies with the person. But this would still be easy to change. Just change the card with which the account is paid for.

If you were f2p prior to death and then get members, then it probably would not matter. The registration on the account info does not have to match the credit card information, hence why children's parents can pay for their account.

wessan.png

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
This also begs the question of why you'd want someone to inherit your account.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies
"Hey buddy, you know what would be funny? If you gave me your rs password in your will! That would be hilarious, huh? hahahahahaha, hey turn around----"

Master_Smither
[ Display Name History ]

Master_Smither

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • RSN:Runescapew44

There are plenty of accounts, on this forum even, that people would pay thousands of dollars for.
Click for My Blog

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Dazzuh
[ Display Name History ]

Dazzuh

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  • RSN:Dazzuh
  • RSN2:Nub Hybrid

There are plenty of accounts, on this forum even, that people would pay thousands of dollars for.

Pretty sad that though, it's like buying Grand Theft Auto with all the missions unlocked for $80 instead of $50, just to be ahead.

But also, missing out on the achievements and fun to be had.

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

Mirror
[ Display Name History ]

Mirror

Use Herring -> Tree

• Members
  • 7,247 posts
  • RSN:Mirrorforced
Yeah, Jagex technically owns the account but I just think of it in the same way as season passes to a sporting event. Technically when you're done with them or you die, I thought you have to give them back to the team/ownership because they technically own those passes, but people always give them away/will them away.

Either way, I'd prefer not to have an account willed to me. I'd be living vicariously through the avatar of a dead person. o.O
A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

Posted Image

sohkmj1
[ Display Name History ]

sohkmj1

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,918 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Stack
  • RSN2:sohkmj1
I'd like to see the person who inherited the account explain himself to the deceased's friend's list.

pakalolo_mon
[ Display Name History ]

pakalolo_mon

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Pakalolo Mon
I want my grandpa's rs account.

In future news: Elderly man killed for runescape account.

BiJay
[ Display Name History ]

BiJay

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 873 posts
Why nobody quotes the rules?

Each account should only be used by ONE person. Account sharing is NOT allowed. You may not sell, transfer or lend your account to anyone else, or permit anyone else to use your account, and you may not accept an account that anybody else offers you.

Seems very clear.

[404] Signature not found.

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Pretty sad that though, it's like buying Grand Theft Auto with all the missions unlocked for $80 instead of $50, just to be ahead.

But also, missing out on the achievements and fun to be had.

Yeah I agree. I searched "Pokemon" on eBay and saw like 5 items on the top list with all pokemon/shiny lvl 100, max gold, items, everything
you can think of and costed a mere 20 dollars more than a new copy. It's pretty sad.

I saw a similar thread like this in rsof with a legitimate reply from a Jagex mod. It's nothing spectacular. Inheriting an account out of another
person's will is still account sharing.

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
People actually have considered putting their RS account in their will?
SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Big_Stingman
[ Display Name History ]

Big_Stingman

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  • RSN:Big Stingman

People actually have considered putting their RS account in their will?

That would be effing hilarious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users