Disturbing new trend in spambotting

jasignhagj

I went into a popular FC and was pm'd by password scammers, but never people selling gold. Price manipulation clans often spammed people in popular CCs, but I didnt know gold sellers went that far. How...sad.

I had spambots pming me awhile back. I know exactly who had put me on the spamlist too because he offered me a GE snipebot and was the only scummy guy I was talking to at the time. These spambots were for a manip clan, though.

Haven't been seeing a very huge amount lately. Maybe pmods are actually being productive and muting them?

You say that like it's our job. :mellow:

I don't think he's saying it's your job. However, when you have the ability to silence people who advertise gold selling websites in under 30 seconds and don't...then what kind of asset to the community are you (Not speaking of you specifically of course)? Player moderators are supposed to be the outstanding members of the community and if they cannot spare 30 seconds of their time to help the community out, then are they really living up to their "position"? Just think, if a player moderator runs by someone advertising a gold selling site and chooses not to mute, then someone will potentially go for the bait and buy gold. This could lead to a whole plethora of other things, including phising their password, and, in the end, a ban issued to them. It obviously isn't your job, but when player moderators sit in the GE and do not mute those players, when their public is obviously on, they're not aiding the community one bit. Then again, Jagex will probably lift the player moderator mute and not perm mute the player because they don't care all that much about rwt and macros anymore :rolleyes: .

I agree, and maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing these advertising bots. Perhaps it's because I stay in W99. I just don't like the way he/she worded "...being productive..." as if we are being unproductive if we're not hunting for spam.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I have my PM always on and I post here, so they aren't getting rsns from tipit I can tell you that

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I've been getting these pms a lot lately. Once while in a penguin hunting chat, and now 3 times while zmi-ing in w70. The most recent one did have a y at the end.

Hameigh.png

Oh, how i wsh i was a pmod again... I remember back in the day it was bittersweet... Always having noobs bug you and beg for crap... Now if I logged in i would be able to mute 5+ people in 1 minute... give me back my pmod powers! (if your wondering.. i lost them b/c while i was on a leave from runescape.. which was about a year... somehow someone hacked me.. i came back later that year to see the result.. my own fault cause of easy password.. but that has all changed)

I remember going to my list of successful to unsuccessful mutes... always 99.9% correct lol

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I choose to have private set to friends, if I want to talk to someone I'll add them. If they wanna talk to me they'll have to ask me in a CC or public first. called my "Friends list" for a reason

Popoto.~<3

I have been getting quite a few PMs like that one lately as well. Irritating is the least you can say about it. I really hope that Jagex keeps fighting bots like these and that the P mods mute them properly :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Unfortunately, it's not new, and equally unfortunately, I don't know how I got on their hitlist either. My ignore list was literally filled by bots who had PMed me.

I'd take the flak from assholistic mod haters if I could just get the ability to instantly silence these guys.

In before people say Private to "Friends".

friendslist to friends. Easy solution take it or leave it

My friends list is always reserved for my friends. Doesn't stop random people from private messaging me, so I don't see your point.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

As Ring Worm says: just put the private button on friends and only people you have added in your friends list will talk to you.

As an argument against this you say you like it when random people talk to you so you got the chance to meet new people.

Why not just add the persons you meet in game and you think seem nice? If they then ever decide to whisper you it's no problem at all :)

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

Wow that F2P ge pic scared me. I think Jagex will probably be removing free trade within the year if thats what a F2P ge normally looks like.

The F2P GE's have looked like that for years. It's just that the bots are advertising RWT sites instead of merch clans, and there are more of them now.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

How is clicking on sponsored links going to hurt them? All that's going to do is increase their ad revenue...

When you search on Google and get sponsored results, the gold sellers are paying for every click. By clicking on them with no intent to purchase, you (slightly) decrease their profits. Don't click any ads on their site, just the ads that lead to their site. As a bonus you help Google get one step closer to world domination :P

I find it hard to believe they are paying more for the sponsored link than they're making from page view ads. Now, if you're using adblock, that's another story.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Wow that F2P ge pic scared me. I think Jagex will probably be removing free trade within the year if thats what a F2P ge normally looks like.

Don't get your hopes up, F2p Ge looks like that all the time, on every world

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]

F2p is really crazy. Every time I turn my public on, I smash at least 5 spammers into silence. I can't even stop them fast enough.

581st to Cooking 99 [June 2005]-------------71537th to Hitpoints 99 [December 2009]

233rd to Firemaking 99 [February 2006]----65875th to Defence 99 [February 2010]

822nd to Woodcutting 99 [March 2006]------95249th to Attack 99 [April 2010]

576th to Fishing 99 [september 2006]-------14016th to Crafting 99 [January 2011]

83541st to Strength 99 [May 2009]----------124340th to Magic 99 [June 2011]

23885th to Smithing 99 [september 2011]--XXXXXXth to Ranged 99 [October 2012]

F2p forever ...

How is clicking on sponsored links going to hurt them? All that's going to do is increase their ad revenue...

When you search on Google and get sponsored results, the gold sellers are paying for every click. By clicking on them with no intent to purchase, you (slightly) decrease their profits. Don't click any ads on their site, just the ads that lead to their site. As a bonus you help Google get one step closer to world domination :P

I find it hard to believe they are paying more for the sponsored link than they're making from page view ads. Now, if you're using adblock, that's another story.

My bad, I forget some people don't use adblock.