Botting in Runescape

Awolo

I guess I'm a little biased because I'm an end-game player and even in the era of bots I didn't really see or feel their effects, aside from cheap resources. I agree they may occupy resource spots, but I think the majority of legitimate players these days are high level enough not to rely on directly farming dragons for bones or yews for yew trees.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

There's a very nice signature of a guy on here that fits perfectly:

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

those runing the bots also make a tone of gp, runing up the price of hig end items, making them harder for those who do not bot to get.

and maybe ppl would got out and kill dragons if you earned more, farming herbs would be even more motivated, actually cutting real trees rather than ivy for lvls and xp, fishing on spots producing products rather than barbarian fishing.

Bots remove the will and motivation to go for slower of lvling, and i feel that is destroying the game.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

It's also important to see how much people enjoyed there not being bots. There are negatives to having them, and positives to not having them.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

There's a very nice signature of a guy on here that fits perfectly:

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Slippery Slope

those runing the bots also make a tone of gp, runing up the price of hig end items, making them harder for those who do not bot to get.

and maybe ppl would got out and kill dragons if you earned more, farming herbs would be even more motivated, actually cutting real trees rather than ivy for lvls and xp, fishing on spots producing products rather than barbarian fishing.

Bots remove the will and motivation to go for slower of lvling, and i feel that is destroying the game.

The reverse of this argument is true. More bots = more centralization of wealth = more expensive high-end items = higher levels make more money through PvM and flipping. Your argument would boil down to bots lead to an increase in wealth disparity, but that isn't a bad thing for the game necessarily.

And no, even in a bot-less society, dragons, trees, and non-fish fishing is still inefficient. Farming is efficient now and it was during bots as well.

It's also not entirely clear that lower levels would be poorer if bots existed. They'd have to spend less money to get bones to get turmoil, herb ingredients, etc.

It's also important to see how much people enjoyed there not being bots. There are negatives to having them, and positives to not having them.

I liked runescape better when there were more bots because resources were cheaper.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I liked runescape better when there were more bots because resources were cheaper.

Leaving out the selfishness of that post:

You have already admitted to being an end-game player, so the effect on you from bots is minimal, but for players who are yet to get to that stage it is not. Bots reduce the number of activities a player can effectively do. Regardless of if it's efficient or not, a player cannot do many activities in their desired way with bots around, rendering certain content useless.

If you view this thread you will also see how many people were happy when bots were gone. I see very few people (if any) being upset because bots were effectively removed. The positives of not having bots far outweigh the negatives.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Leaving out the selfishness of that post:

You have already admitted to being an end-game player, so the effect on you from bots is minimal, but for players who are yet to get to that stage it is not. Bots reduce the number of activities a player can effectively do. Regardless of if it's efficient or not, a player cannot do many activities in their desired way with bots around, rendering certain content useless.

If you view this thread you will also see how many people were happy when bots were gone. I see very few people (if any) being upset because bots were effectively removed. The positives of not having bots far outweigh the negatives.

How is that post selfish? Who doesn't like cheaper resources? As I've stated, many people advantage from cheaper resources, even lower levels. I don't see a compelling case that lower levels are significantly poorer because of bots. Lower/medium levels still had options to make 2M+/hr. A lot of important activities also don't require a lot of capital. You can have approximately the highest DPS weapons and gear in the game with a bank worth of <100M (claws, zerker ring, fury, bandos is pretty much all you need). In fact, the only thing that actually requires a lot of money nowadays is training skills, which are significantly cheaper with bots.

I could just as easily say you are selfish for preferring an economy that has cheap high-end armor and rares.

You also see few people upset that bots are gone because TIF is pretty high in lower levels. Also, that thread doesn't capture the long-term repercussions of the bot nuke. I'd prefer making 10M+/hr at Nex, not paying millions for potions, and having predictably rising party hats.

Not to mention that I can barely 4 item switch properly without delay after the bot nuke. I'm too scared to pvp anymore because every time i switch items in sequence, my game freezes for a while. It's also significantly worse for other players.

---

I really don't see a strong economic or moral reason to be against bots. The main area I'd say bots are harmful are for the longevity of the game, but again - that's jagex's problem and reveals an inherent issue with runescape.

sigcopyaf.png

bots don't hurt low level players- they hurt inefficient players.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

It doesn't matter one bit about efficiency. It simply makes activities which are in the game for a purpose (to bring resources into the game and to make money, even if it is a small amount) useless for players. It is also against the rules and spirit of the game.

Maxed accounts simply cannot comprehend (they should be able to but for some reason seem incapable of doing so) the mindset of a lower level player. X is more efficint so why would they want to do it anyway, just let bots do it is such an ignorant answer that it's almost laughable.

It is such a simple subject that I'm always so astonished when people can condone bots. Oh well, maybe I'll go back to OT where people actually have a basic grasp of society.

zqXeV.jpg

What? If you are trying to have a discussion that will actually go somewhere and produce new understanding, why would you introduce such value-laden terms? Instead of presenting an argument you instead resort to terms such as ignorance and spirit of the game, which if anything you are using incorrectly (ironically).

I understand the mentality of a lower-level player. If I were lower level, I'd train slayer until I'm roughly maxed because it gives me some money and trains a bunch of skills. I'd make money through dailies and minor flips. Once I'm high level enough to do GWD or DKS, I'd do some. I wouldn't worry about making money at the moment because rapiers are free, barrows is cheap, and pots are cheap. All the money I need is for herb and prayer, which were both cheaper with bots. Once I'm high level enough to do nex and kiln, I'd do that for money. Then I'd skill.

Where in that process is really affected negatively by bots? Bots ruin stuff like hunting for dragon bones, but a smart lower-level player shouldn't be doing that anyway.

sigcopyaf.png

shame there is no way to do futures trading in runescape...

...Wait, what?

Keeping in mind, not everyone is an End-game user, and ESPECIALLY new players Jagex try to get in, they're not going to play if the easy money makers don't exist thanks to bots, Im not trying to take the piss out on High-leveld/end users, but you need to understand not everyone shares your extent knowledge of the game. @Ancient, beginning off and doing slayer of the bat is helpful in starting to earn money, but how many BRAND-NEW players realize this? or understand the GE system and flipping?

Point is, some might be a bit of a derp on the mentality scale, and some (or rather most) dont know the game's mechanics and common money starters. obviously as they play and understand they'll know, but for brand new players, they simply dont have the knowledge or wealth to start off like that.

Heck, even if bots were around, they'd STILL not have the money required for training fast, just because a resource is less costly, doesnt mean it's less costly for all players.

Popoto.~<3

shame there is no way to do futures trading in runescape...

...Wait, what?

Options, futures, and other investment instruments that exist in modern markets do not exist in runescape. Shorts, for example, allow you to profit monetarily off of expected dips. No such instrument exists in RS atm.

sigcopyaf.png

Who doesn't like cheaper resources? ;)

I still dislike bots running around mining spots though. Not even sure what Jagex is attempting to doing on their next bot nuke.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Back when I played runescape, I was rarely bothed by bots, and I wasn't an efficient player or an end user player.

I actually had FUN (yes, fun)...killing green dragon bots in the wilderness. Sure, I would get dominated when an actual pker came around...but that was half the excitement as well.

I don't praise the USE of bots, but I do like the fact that there is a community behind it that is based on developers and entrepreneurs. High school kids trying to make money through other means then working at the local grocery store or fast food joint. Not to mention the life skills these kids learn, that will eventually lead them down a path to a successful career (in most cases)...

Runescape (and similiar games) are an addiction, like a drug. The game has ruined far more lives then bots ever have. Where is your moral stance on that?

EDIT: I should note that I think gold farmers are pieces of shit. The problem with the game isn't bots, the problem with the game is the gold farmers...and even the botting community is aware of that...

w4M8t.png

I don't praise the USE of bots, but I do like the fact that there is a community behind it that is based on developers and entrepreneurs. High school kids trying to make money through other means then working at the local grocery store or fast food joint.

You mean means by which don't actually help the real world at all, won't help on their future CV's and won't help them actually get reputable jobs?

Not to mention the life skills these kids learn, that will eventually lead them down a path to a successful career (in most cases)...

Life skills such as being able to successfully cheat? I understand that you mean learning the ability to code, but that can by done by legal means and which aren't considered cheating. They could attempt to make games or other programs. I could learn self defence by getting into fights but it would be learning a life skill in the totally wrong way too.

Runescape (and similiar games) are an addiction, like a drug. The game has ruined far more lives then bots ever have. Where is your moral stance on that?

That people need to get help if they have these problems. If you feel you are addicted, try to stop playing. Two negatives don't make a positive. The game has also helped many people escape troubled lives, and given thousands (if not millions) of hours of entertainment to people around the world.

EDIT: I should note that I think gold farmers are pieces of shit. The problem with the game isn't bots, the problem with the game is the gold farmers...and even the botting community is aware of that...

In terms of effect on Runescape they are one and the same. On the human rights front, well, it is controversial and a totally different matter, more relating to sweat shop working than related to Runescape in general.

zqXeV.jpg

I've certainly noticed a general increase in the amount of bots - especially around Sorcerer's Garden (having a jolly fun time with Bandits at the moment, so I tend to pass through frequently). Hopefully Jagex will do something sharpish - I'd heard rumours about the end of this month..?

This is from my runetrack profile.

the number of ranks gained from 15th to 16th is in light blue, no skilling involved, or very small, such as teleporting 2-3 times.

skill ranks:

Strength 34,531 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 35,426 Mar 15, 2012 (895 ranks) lvl99

Constitution 44,415 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 45,597 Mar 15, 2012 (1182 ranks) lvl99

Prayer 20,728 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 21,075 Mar 15, 2012 (347 ranks) lvl99

Magic 23,994 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 24,476 Mar 15, 2012 (482 ranks) lvl99

Woodcutting 38,265 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 39,409 Mar 15, 2012 (1144 ranks) lvl99

Fletching 28,964 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 29,701 Mar 15, 2012 (737 ranks) lvl99

Fishing 32,433 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 33,547 Mar 15, 2012 ( 1114 ranks) lvl99

Smithing 15,069 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 15,314 Mar 15, 2012 (245 ranks) lvl99

Mining 25,655 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 26,351 Mar 15, 2012 (696 ranks) lvl95

Runecraft 27,844 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 28,569 Mar 15, 2012 (725 ranks) lvl85

Construction 23,552 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 24,021 Mar 15, 2012 (469 ranks) lvl88

for some reason the runescape higscore stats tracker is blank after the 15th, so hard to pull anything from there. the amount of p2p as of today (19th mar) is 886,171 it was 876595 on the 15.mar at 13:00 (last number i can find on: http://open.tip.it/high-score-stats) so that number has gone up probably due to bxpw.

so there seams to have been a nice hig lvl nuke hitting runescape on the 16th, can also locate a few other moments in 2012 that the ranks have suddenly gone up, but these have been much smaller and harder to locate.

one must also consider that the ranks should have gone down due to bxpw, so the number off banns/resets is most likely higer.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

What? If you are trying to have a discussion that will actually go somewhere and produce new understanding, why would you introduce such value-laden terms? Instead of presenting an argument you instead resort to terms such as ignorance and spirit of the game, which if anything you are using incorrectly (ironically).

I understand the mentality of a lower-level player. If I were lower level, I'd train slayer until I'm roughly maxed because it gives me some money and trains a bunch of skills. I'd make money through dailies and minor flips. Once I'm high level enough to do GWD or DKS, I'd do some. I wouldn't worry about making money at the moment because rapiers are free, barrows is cheap, and pots are cheap. All the money I need is for herb and prayer, which were both cheaper with bots. Once I'm high level enough to do nex and kiln, I'd do that for money. Then I'd skill.

Where in that process is really affected negatively by bots? Bots ruin stuff like hunting for dragon bones, but a smart lower-level player shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Not everyone has the time to dedicate to boss killing as a means to earn money and buy skills. Not everyone wants to boss kill either to earn money to buy skills. Not everyone enjoys Dungeoneering either. Some players like Runecrafting. Some players like fishing. Just because boss killing and Dungeoneering works for you, it does not mean it works for everyone.

By the way, when was the last time you did slayer for money? Was it before or after every primary slayer spot was over-crowded with bots? Try doing slayer tasks when the bots are so thick that you cannot find a world on which you can complete your task.

slobdf.jpg

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Zoot!

Oh, she is a naughty person, and she must pay the penalty!

the number of ranks gained from 15th to 16th is in light blue, no skilling involved, or very small, such as teleporting 2-3 times.

skill ranks:

Strength 34,531 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 35,426 Mar 15, 2012 (895 ranks) lvl99

Constitution 44,415 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 45,597 Mar 15, 2012 (1182 ranks) lvl99

Prayer 20,728 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 21,075 Mar 15, 2012 (347 ranks) lvl99

Woodcutting 38,265 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 39,409 Mar 15, 2012 (1144 ranks) lvl99

Fletching 28,964 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 29,701 Mar 15, 2012 (737 ranks) lvl99

Fishing 32,433 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 33,547 Mar 15, 2012 ( 1114 ranks) lvl99

Smithing 15,069 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 15,314 Mar 15, 2012 (245 ranks) lvl99

Mining 25,655 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 26,351 Mar 15, 2012 (696 ranks) lvl95

Runecraft 27,844 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 28,569 Mar 15, 2012 (725 ranks) lvl85

Construction 23,552 Mar 16, 2012 The day before: 24,021 Mar 15, 2012 (469 ranks) lvl88

for some reason the runescape higscore stats tracker is blank after the 15th, so hard to pull anything from there. the amount of p2p as of today (19th mar) is 886,171 it was 876595 on the 15.mar at 13:00 (last number i can find on: http://open.tip.it/high-score-stats) so that number has gone up probably due to bxpw.

so there seams to have been a nice hig lvl nuke hitting runescape on the 16th, can also locate a few other moments in 2012 that the ranks have suddenly gone up, but these have been much smaller and harder to locate.

one must also consider that the ranks should have gone down due to bxpw, so the number off banns/resets is most likely higer.

You forget people cancelling or not renewing their memberships? Hiscore ranks are not a trustworthy source any more.

09144a99bb.png

skill ranks:

You forget people cancelling or not renewing their memberships? Hiscore ranks are not a trustworthy source any more.

lol, yea.... umm im talking about 10k+ players with hig stats that decide to let membership run out on the day before bxpw? and considering this has not happening this clearly since the botnuke, i can say this is not players just canceling their membership.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

skill ranks:

lol, yea.... umm im talking about 10k+ players with hig stats that decide to let membership run out on the day before bxpw? and considering this has not happening this clearly since the botnuke, i can say this is not players just canceling their membership.

Maybe I'm retarded, but where did you get 10k people from? I see you're rank increasing by a roughly 500-1000...

Also the tip.it chart shows a rise of roughly 25,000 from the 15th to the 19th...

w4M8t.png

Good, because if it hasn't happened yet, I have good sources that tell me Powerbot is returning very soon, possibly today.

good source??? you mean their forum??? lol

I don't frequent forums for botting, sorry.

You say that as if it is something to be proud of. Its a neutral issue. Not doing so doesn't make you better, or give you any type of higher moral ground. Frankly, it is hardly germane to the topic at hand at all.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

[hide]

skill ranks:

Maybe I'm retarded, but where did you get 10k people from? I see you're rank increasing by a roughly 500-1000...

Also the tip.it chart shows a rise of roughly 25,000 from the 15th to the 19th...

[/hide]

geting 10 from that the 1k+ ranks i gained where in skills i have lvl 99 in, and most likely they did not have hig enough skills to raise my rank in other stat, bxpw that should have made my stats go down hides some, and then we have to consider that jagex most likely did not only ban ppl with 99 stats. i would say its easy to add it up to 10k ppl.

the raise of ppls with members is most likely due to bxpw, I'm not sure if jagex banned or if they rolled back.

and 25k+ ppl dose not have any effect on my ranks going up, it can have the opposite effect, aka hiding even more banned bots.

You say that as if it is something to be proud of. Its a neutral issue. Not doing so doesn't make you better, or give you any type of higher moral ground. Frankly, it is hardly germane to the topic at hand at all.

at least he don't see the adverts if he do not go there, there for cutting of potential profits. That should be enough to feel good about yourself

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

[hide]

skill ranks:

[/hide]

geting 10 from that the 1k+ ranks i gained where in skills i have lvl 99 in, and most likely they did not have hig enough skills to raise my rank in other stat, bxpw that should have made my stats go down hides some, and then we have to consider that jagex most likely did not only ban ppl with 99 stats. i would say its easy to add it up to 10k ppl.

the raise of ppls with members is most likely due to bxpw, I'm not sure if jagex banned or if they rolled back.

and 25k+ ppl dose not have anything effect on my ranks going up, it can have the opposite effect, aka hiding even more banned bots.

at least he don't see the adverts if he do not go there, there for cutting of potential profits. That should be enough to feel good about yourself

Each of your ranks went up 1kish...this doesn't mean you get to add every skill together, and call it 10k people. I would say you are reaching pretty hard for "Jagex did a ban this week". From all the data I've seen, it looks more likely that 1k people (out of roughly 900k) let their membership drop. While 30k got membership for BXP weekend...

No Ban...Sorry. Not really sure what point that brings to the discussion anyway.

I've said it once, but I'll say it again. I don't advocate the USE of bots. I am, however, in favor of the skills that young kids with interest in programming can learn from bots. Shun it all you want, but the fact is it takes critical thinking skills and introduces kids to a programming language.

As for the argument that it "teaches kids to cheat"...with that, I reply it's a video game. The same argument could apply that runescape teaches you to murder, steal, gamble, etc...(which is a ridiculous argument)...

w4M8t.png

[hide]

skill ranks:

[/hide]

and 25k+ ppl dose not have anything effect on my ranks going up, it can have the opposite effect, aka hiding even more banned bots.

Each of your ranks went up 1kish...this doesn't mean you get to add every skill together, and call it 10k people. I would say you are reaching pretty hard for "Jagex did a ban this week". From all the data I've seen, it looks more likely that 1k people (out of roughly 900k) let their membership drop. While 30k got membership for BXP weekend...

No Ban...Sorry. Not really sure what point that brings to the discussion anyway.

yea 1k players with higher ranks decide to just skip membership before bxpw, on the same day i might add, note that 1k player have not drooped out like that before... i think not.

I did not add those ranks to get the 10k, i did a simple analytically overview, something i should have a fairly good sense of considering 3 years at uni doing more or less exactly that.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg