Botting in Runescape

Awolo

The term, "Two birds with one stone," comes to mind. :P.

...or you could not play RuneScape, and not violate whatever contract you have with RS by botting instead. Less headaches for everyone, I'd think.

To n64jive's argument: You've managed to demonstrate that, instead of botting being the problem, it is merely a symptom of gameplay being unrewarding in the immediate term.

If one leads a busy lifestyle in that they can't devote much time to RuneScape, yet they still wish to advance [to a level that they deem satisfactory to compete in high-end content] in RuneScape, then that person has three choices - either not advance, advance at a snail's pace, or advance instantly (or what is perceived as "instant") through the use of RWT/bots. The problem with this is that the first two options are undesirable in many causal gamer's eyes, so there will be people that will take their chances, and simply purchase the resources/levels/items/whatever. This is bad for RuneScape in the long term, not just because of the effect that RWT/botting has on legitimate players, but because potential players won't want to spend a mountain of time just trying to compete on a level with everyone else.

That's why people RWT...but your point summarized much of this anyway.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

if potential players won't want to spend a mountain of time just trying to compete on a level with everyone else, then they can just bot/rwt

saying that botting gives someone an unfair advantage is like a diy player saying that the other people who trade have an unfair advantage

it's like saying that people who use a newer and better training method has an unfair advantage compared to everyone else that chooses not to use it for whatever reason

it's their own choices that are limiting themselves, not what other people do

everyone has access to botting, thus everyone is on a level playing ground

Ah, yes, but can you do all of the above and play runescape?

Ok, so 24 hours in a day.

I spend 9 hours working, 8 hours sleeping, 2 hours eating. That leaves me 5 hours leisure time. If I work out every day, that leaves me 3 hours.

Let's say my end-game goal is to create an account I can stake with.

If one can obtain combat xp at an average rate of 60k xp an hour, that is a minimum of 215 days, or over 7 months just to get a maxed combat account.

Now let's say I need about 500m as a staking budget. That's going to take another 160 days or so.

You would have to dedicate over a year, playing every day, 3 hours a day, just to get to some end-game content.

or you could just buy it from some random player. It probably would cost you around $500, which is roughly 50 hours, or about a week of work for your average person, or 2 days of work for me.

And this is why people RWT....

Or maybe you could just accept that you'll never be able to have what you want and just move on.

Just because you want something doesn't mean you have to be able to get it really, but it seems like no one in this world subscribes to that value anymore. :rolleyes:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of rulebreaking post. Sorry for the inconvenience! :)

Cheating refers to immoral way of achieving a goal. Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and those that are bad (or wrong).

Thus botting is only cheating if you believe it is immoral. Do I bot? No. Do I believe its immoral? No. I don't view botting as cheating. Its as simple as that, its a simple logical process of thought.

Do I support botting? No, but I don't believe its IMMORAL.

Edited by Kimberly

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

This topic exists to discuss botting and its presence in RuneScape. This is not an arena to insult or make baseless assumptions of your fellow forum users. Not everyone will see eye-to-eye in this discussion, so if you're not prepared to accept that basic fact and rein in the name-calling, then simply don't post.

Posts continuing in such a fashion will be removed as normal. This is just a reminder to keep a level head. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

I spend 9 hours working, 8 hours sleeping, 2 hours eating. That leaves me 5 hours leisure time. If I work out every day, that leaves me 3 hours.

If one can obtain combat xp at an average rate of 60k xp an hour, that is a minimum of 215 days, or over 7 months just to get a maxed combat account.

Now let's say I need about 500m as a staking budget. That's going to take another 160 days or so.

You would have to dedicate over a year, playing every day, 3 hours a day, just to get to some end-game content.

or you could just buy it from some random player. It probably would cost you around $500, which is roughly 50 hours, or about a week of work for your average person, or 2 days of work for me.

Or maybe you could just accept that you'll never be able to have what you want and just move on.

Just because you want something doesn't mean you have to be able to get it really, but it seems like no one in this world subscribes to that value anymore. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I'm a grown adult, and if I want something, I'm at least going to try.

I tried to come back to runescape over the holidays. It was boring. I didn't enjoy it. It was very short lived. I realized that I just don't have to the time to play this game, which I had when I started 10 years ago.

I think this is Jagex's greatest downfall, and will ultimately lead to the game's demise. The game has a limited audience who can enjoy it, with the majority of players ages 13-18.

w4M8t.png

[hide=n64jive]

Yeah, but I'm a grown adult, and if I want something, I'm at least going to try.

I tried to come back to runescape over the holidays. It was boring. I didn't enjoy it. It was very short lived. I realized that I just don't have to the time to play this game, which I had when I started 10 years ago.

I think this is Jagex's greatest downfall, and will ultimately lead to the game's demise. The game has a limited audience who can enjoy it, with the majority of players ages 13-18.

[/hide]

tbh, then quit, but do not destroy the game that some of us has put 8+years on.

runescape is not meant to be a game where as everyone starts with maxed lvls so that you can do all the activities, your supposed to have to work long to reach goals, something that some of us like.

Cheating refers to immoral way of achieving a goal. Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and those that are bad (or wrong).

Thus botting is only cheating if you believe it is immoral. Do I bot? No. Do I believe its immoral? No. I don't view botting as cheating. Its as simple as that, its a simple logical process of thought.

cheat (cht)

v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats

v.intr.

2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

as far as i know boting is against the rules, aka if you aare boting you are cheating. and i find cheating immoral.

Plz let me know what dictionary you are using, must be fun making up what words stand for.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

[hide=n64jive]

[/hide]

runescape is not meant to be a game where as everyone starts with maxed lvls so that you can do all the activities, your supposed to have to work long to reach goals, something that some of us like.

cheat (cht)

v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats

v.intr.

2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

as far as i know boting is against the rules, aka if you aare boting you are cheating. and i find cheating immoral.

Plz let me know what dictionary you are using, must be fun making up what words stand for.

My premise was constructed using dictionary definitions, I resent the assertions of "making up" definitions but than again, since you can't defend your argument with anything other then an opinion and "Rules r rules" I guess that is the strongest case you are capable of making. Also, stating "I live by the rules" is, IMO, a terrible way to live. One should never take that stance completely. It is, if that were everyones stance, live in a dictatorship.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Or, you could, like your signature states, accept that you don't like the game, quit and move on.

At the end of the day, this is no great question of morality. Your Runescape account is the property of Jagex, so it actually is a case of 'the rules are the rules'. Jagex also owns Runescape, and they have decided botting in Runescape is wrong. Since the game is their creation and property, it is their decision whether or not botting is right/wrong. And they have decided it is wrong. You can argue all you like that botting is not 'wrong', but what you think doesn't matter in this case. And having spoken to Jacmob, he seems confidant that Optimus will be more permanent and wide reaching than Bot Nuke V1, so hopefully this discussion will soon be a moot point.

Asmodean <3

Guest jrhairychest

Does wanting a fair and level playing field ever have to be justified?

Um, yes? Everything has to be justified...or its baseless. That doesn't mean its HARD to do, but it is still necessary.

Really? Wow....... If I'd have known that fair play had to be justified I could have made up my own rules of all the games/sports I have ever played. What a cool philosophy :rolleyes:

Bravo =D>. Do you ever get the feeling that because players don't like RS any more or won't abide by the rules, they don't want you to have fun either or want you to agree that rulebreaking is acceptable?

So far I have not seen one person who supports bots or cheating that has shown that cheating or bots it is better for the game. Nor have any of them proven that they are better people or better players because they bot or cheat.

"Instead of playing runescape, I let my bot play for me, while I went to the gym and worked out" -Person A

Person A is now a better person because he cheats.

"Instead of playing runescape, I study for my exams" -Person B

Person B is now a better person because he cheats.

"Instead of playing runescape, I volunteer at a the local hospital"-Person C

Person C is now a better person because he cheats.

LOL! Ok, thats pretty funny. Youre asserting that someone plays Runescape by botting so they can dedicate their time to altruistic pursuits.

Thats hilarious. Thats the best laugh I have had today.

Are you done being ridiculous yet?

slobdf.jpg

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Zoot!

Oh, she is a naughty person, and she must pay the penalty!

First off, the point about it being Jagex's game and rules is totally valid in my eyes. You agree to a terms and conditions when you join, which dictates that you either play their game and follow their rules, or you don't play at all. It really is as simple as that. The game is a privaledge, not a right, which means access is on Jagex terms. If they want to turn RuneScape into an oppressive super strict game, that's their prerogative. If they want to turn it into anarchy, they can do that too. What any of us think means absolutely nothing beyond whether we play their game or not. At the end of the day, that is the only voice we have that counts for anything.

That said, I see botting as selfish and pointless.

It's selfish because it does impact other players, by taking up training spots and impacting the economy. It is an ultimate expression of putting your own goals and enjoyment before anyone else, without consideration of other people.

But everyone could bot and then it wouldn't be a problem...

Which takes us too pointless. If everyone botted, then its just your computer playing with Jagex's servers. Everyone would eventually be maxed in everything (or everyone would be banned and the game would shut down), and no accomplishment would mean anything. It would just be millions of computers talking to Jagex's servers for a game that would quickly become meaningless, and wasting internet bandwidth and electricity in the process.

At the end of the day, botting is like trying to play RuneScape in God Mode. Sure, it would be really fun to be able to do anything without any work for a little while. Might even get a good week or two out of it. And that would be it. The whole appeal of the game, from a psychological point of view, is the achieving of goals. Without that, the game is about as close to being objectively boring as is possible. Without that dopamine release that comes with achieving something, you would get bored of the game very quickly.

And don't say you just want a pker or a staker. If you want to fight people, there are probably more than a hundred games out there with better combat mechanics than RuneScape for that sort of thing. If you *really* need the RuneScape experiance, go buy some 20 sided dice and go wild. You don't need to RuneScape to have a random number generator. You don't even need a computer.

Otherwise, there are plenty of games that require more skill and less luck in their combat, with much easier access to the possible strategies that don't require a weeks grinding to afford equipment and gain the levels.

At the end of the day, if you feel the need to bot in RuneScape, then you shouldn't be playing the game anymore because you obviously don't find it fun.

I should point out that I have moved on from this game. I like to check up on it from time to time, as I have certain predictions for it that I like to validate.

I also am not implying by any means that I do bot (or that I have ever botted)...I am simply implying that Runescape is a game. In this game, your "skill" is based on your devotion to the game. It's more of a job where you are not getting paid. For that reason, I don't fault kids for not wanting to go through the grind.

As for pursuing altruism, I can say that many people do. Whether it's botting while you work to feed your family, or botting while you are at school, or botting while you work on your physique....These are all things that many kids gladly skip in order to play this game. I never skipped high school, but I often skipped social events with my friends, I would skip out on work occasionally, and in my early years of college, I would skip some classes. It didn't take me long to realize that the game had a grasp on me (call it an addiction if you like). And I know I am not the only one of this nature. You can't be 'good' at runescape...you can only have a good account with good stats in which you spend a fair amount of time on to get.

As for botting ruining this game, it's completely untrue. Bots don't ruin the game, gold farmers do. I think you'll find that the majority of the botters you speak of are not people who actually want to "play" the game, but are rather gold farmers who seek to profit from the resources of the game. And the reason a market exists for such items is that you must spend 10x more time in game to achieve the same level as just "buying" it.

EDIT:

Which takes us too pointless. If everyone botted, then its just your computer playing with Jagex's servers. Everyone would eventually be maxed in everything (or everyone would be banned and the game would shut down), and no accomplishment would mean anything. It would just be millions of computers talking to Jagex's servers for a game that would quickly become meaningless, and wasting internet bandwidth and electricity in the process.

I want to point out I agree with everything you said, but I should point out that your accomplishments are already "meaningless". You reached a goal. Congratulations, so did 200,000 other people.

I never meant to argue "why botting should be condoned", but my original point to posting on this thread was that Jacmob took a game which I assume he played, pointed out its flaws, and then developed his own means of combating those flaws. You want to say that botting is pointless, but in reality playing runescape is pointless. At least Jacmob got something out of it, which in the end was a successful entrepreneurship which led him to a successful career with Jagex straight out of highschool.

1 in a million, and he got there by breaking the rules...

w4M8t.png

Botters *do* ruin the game, even if they don't goldfarm. How do you think I feel when I'm one of the few legit players at (say) soul wars bank, while there are dozens of other *players* just taking the easy way and botting their buyables? What is left of runescape without achievements?

Players should have fun with the rs community, not have their computer play with jagex' computers. (quote, mod mmg)

And for your examples with busy people - maybe they should realise they shouldn't play a mmo if they don't enough time for it. And it's your (not our) problem that you can't balance your time spent on scape, that doesn't give you an excuse to ruin it for those that do.

And how do you not see the problem with this. Runescape is a GAME. You have put 8+ years into a game. A game that will do nothing for you. I look back on it and realize "Wow, how many better things could I have done for myself instead of playing this stupid game.

I realize that this is a runescape fansite, and penetrating that wall will be pretty difficult, so I'll just leave it at that...

Botters *do* ruin the game, even if they don't goldfarm. How do you think I feel when I'm one of the few legit players at (say) soul wars bank, while there are dozens of other *players* just taking the easy way and botting their buyables? What is left of runescape without achievements?

Players should have fun with the rs community, not have their computer play with jagex' computers. (quote, mod mmg)

And for your examples with busy people - maybe they should realise they shouldn't play a mmo if they don't enough time for it. And it's your (not our) problem that you can't balance your time spent on scape, that doesn't give you an excuse to ruin it for those that do.

With that said, it is your problem that bots exist and ruin the game for you. Maybe you should do something about it.

I already did something about my problems. This thread isn't about my problems. It's about "your" problems.

w4M8t.png

...Runescape is a GAME. You have put 8+ years into a game. A game that will do nothing for you. I look back on it and realize "Wow, how many better things could I have done for myself instead of playing this stupid game.

If it wasn't for this "stupid game" I'd never have met my partner of almost 5 years.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Guest jrhairychest

I want to point out I agree with everything you said, but I should point out that your accomplishments are already "meaningless". You reached a goal. Congratulations, so did 200,000 other people.

Sounds like you've got a real axe to grind here. Just let people enjoy their game, even if you're still sore about 'wasting' all those years...............

I never meant to argue "why botting should be condoned", but my original point to posting on this thread was that Jacmob took a game which I assume he played, pointed out its flaws, and then developed his own means of combating those flaws. You want to say that botting is pointless, but in reality playing runescape is pointless. At least Jacmob got something out of it, which in the end was a successful entrepreneurship which led him to a successful career with Jagex straight out of highschool.

1 in a million, and he got there by breaking the rules...

Yes....a game is really flawed when you're actually supposed to play it yourself :rolleyes:. Gl with the hero worship.

And how do you not see the problem with this. Runescape is a GAME. You have put 8+ years into a game. A game that will do nothing for you. I look back on it and realize "Wow, how many better things could I have done for myself instead of playing this stupid game.

----------------------------------------------------------

I already did something about my problems. This thread isn't about my problems. It's about "your" problems.

wooooooooowww , are you attacking my and others personal choice of life?

Time to back up, this is not the place for that. what everyone of us do with our time is our decision. You are after all here, on a forum to a game you left, something many of us might see as pointless, but you seam to enjoy that time you spend on it, even if you could do something else.

so back off on the personal attacks, most of us are old and have plenty of life experience.

I do not want to see some reply to this on here, if you really have a problem with this then pm me.

I realize this is totally of topic, but i had to defend myself as it felt as a personal attack on me.

And as far as i can see we are doing something in the fight against bots, we are voicing our opinion.

nice post Randox agree 100% :) there is far better games out there for the stuff some bot for.

Goldfarmers on the other hand is a totally different problem, but i do wonder if they would exist to this day if they had not had help from those creating bots for personal use.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

With that said, it is your problem that bots exist and ruin the game for you. Maybe you should do something about it.

Hmm? How do you expect me to fix it? Get rid of all the bots in scape myself?

A lot harder than yours (don't bot, play less, or don't care so much about your levels).

Being time limited does not make it right to bot.

Does wanting a fair and level playing field ever have to be justified?

Um, yes? Everything has to be justified...or its baseless. That doesn't mean its HARD to do, but it is still necessary.

Really? Wow....... If I'd have known that fair play had to be justified I could have made up my own rules of all the games/sports I have ever played. What a cool philosophy :rolleyes:

Bravo =D>. Do you ever get the feeling that because players don't like RS any more or won't abide by the rules, they don't want you to have fun either or want you to agree that rulebreaking is acceptable?

Didn't say that. I said you have to have a REASON to justify an action, or to condemn it. You can't just say "this isn't fair" without being able to justify why it isn't fair. It may seem obvious, but you still need to do it. Its basically JTB- Justified true belief.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/knowledge-analysis/

In debate, its sort of like a Kritik. You are arguing for/against more then the resolution, but argue against a certain type of mindset. In this case, the mindsets which has been argued against in the past are "Rules are rules" and "You have to obey the TOS in everything".

To answer the first one: Rules are designed to function a certain way. Speed limits are designed to protect drivers, and to bring in revenue via speeding tickets. But, if a speed limit can be shown to be counter productive, (CAUSING more deaths, or accidents, for instance, without an even greater benefit such as significantly reduced travel time) then it SHOULD be changed. "Rules are rules" would be bad here.

"TOS obey in everything". Just a quick answer to this one. Ever share email/website/skype/vent/mumble info over RS? You broke the TOS. This is where a Kritik would come in handy. Which parts of the TOS should be binding? Should they be binding? And the like.

You see, even though I am agree that a belief is the correct (or a correct one) I still need to have justification for my belief. Or else its completely baseless, and as such unjustified and mostly invalid.

I hope this better clarifies. Hope I haven't been wasting my time responding to a known troll.

@Merciful. I agree with you as well, different MMO's have brought me to meet some AMAZING people. Having the common ground of RS also brought me back into contact with a friend from YEARS ago as well.

@Randox. Lets be logical, shall we? "At the end of the day, if you feel the need to bot in RuneScape, then you shouldn't be playing the game anymore because you obviously don't find it fun." That is a logically flawed statement. One can enjoy ASPECTS of the game without enjoying ALL of the game. If someone bots to get 99 str, 99 attack, and 45 defense to PK, that DOES NOT mean they hate playing. It means they ENJOY PKING but DISLIKE leveling. Counterexample presented, your statement has just been invalidated. Unless you define "playing" as "enjoying every aspect of the game" (Which would be asinine).

Stonewall337.png

Hmm? How do you expect me to fix it? Get rid of all the bots in scape myself?

A lot harder than yours (don't bot, play less, or don't care so much about your levels).

Being time limited does not make it right to bot.

What makes it wrong to bot? The fact that Jagex says so?

Jagex made the rules. It's their job to enforce them. In October, they took a giant step in the right direction. We'll see how they do at continuing to enforce this.

Once again, I don't bot, I don't play, and I don't really care. I just find it extremely hypocritical for all of you to say that what I am saying is a personal attack against your personal life choices, when you attack other people's life choices.

You choose to play runescape. Someone else chooses to create a program to play runescape. Someone else choose just to purchase gold rather then play the game to accumulate it. It's all a life choice, and none of you have the right to say any different.

w4M8t.png