Botting in Runescape

Awolo

All jagex had to do is update cluster flutterer every few weeks and most bots would never have made it back. But ofc that never happened and any players' attempt to stop the bots got foiled..the bots? Not so much. Most of the die hard bot reporters have quit by now, but if anyone still would want to do a ton of reporting and keep track of it, I would not at all surprised if <10% of the completely obvious bots even gets any sort of punishment.

Legit players, wake up! If there's ever a time to quit and find peace, it is now. Your holy jagex has lied to you again. You will soon be swimming in bots again with no one giving a damn. None of your achievements wil mean anything because bots and cheaters will always best you. There is no reason to keep sticking with this trainwreck of a game. The grass is indeed greener on the other side.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

All jagex had to do is update cluster flutterer every few weeks and most bots would never have made it back. But ofc that never happened and any players' attempt to stop the bots got foiled..the bots? Not so much. Most of the die hard bot reporters have quit by now, but if anyone still would want to do a ton of reporting and keep track of it, I would not at all surprised if <10% of the completely obvious bots even gets any sort of punishment.

Legit players, wake up! If there's ever a time to quit and find peace, it is now. Your holy jagex has lied to you again. You will soon be swimming in bots again with no one giving a damn. None of your achievements wil mean anything because bots and cheaters will always best you. There is no reason to keep sticking with this trainwreck of a game. The grass is indeed greener on the other side.

"Just update clusterflutterer every few weeks". Yeah, sure. As if it was as easy as that. First of all, you can't just think of a few new lines of code, put them in, and BAM it works again. There has been a LOT of development time behind clusterflutterer.

Besides, the bots you are seeing right now are mostly not even reflection/injection bots, they're screen-scraping bots. And Jagex already has said they're working on the next anti-bot update.

In one point you're right. If there's a time to find peace, it is now. But not to quit. Runescape is as unaffected by bots as it hasn't been for a long time. Communication with Jagex has improved a lot, even if there is still room upwards. If you ignore little crybabies who can't get over the fact that their game is changing, a lot of people are happy with the recent updates. Almost all recent quests have been of a great quality.

I could go on for some time. If you quit and are happy with it, congratulations. If you still want to stick around tip.it, why not? But it's everyone's own decision to quit, so don't go around projecting your dislike of the game on others to make them quit. If they dislike they game, they'll quit, if not, then not. Simple as that.

Edit: As for reports: I think Jagex has long given up on those. The report system is terribly inefficient. They're relocating their labour force elsewhere, and tbh if I can get an almost bot-free runescape in return, I can live with some botters not getting punished.

There's still the legal issues (assuming there actually are injection bots), plus the next nuke shouldn't be too far away. I don't see bots coming back, at least not like they were before.

Good luck with your legal issues if they live in some middle-african/asian country where they don't give a rats ass about internet related laws.

There's still the legal issues (assuming there actually are injection bots), plus the next nuke shouldn't be too far away. I don't see bots coming back, at least not like they were before.

Good luck with your legal issues if they live in some middle-african/asian country where they don't give a rats ass about internet related laws.

Yeah I mean look at MegaUpload based in Hong Kong and is still serving copyrighted material... oh wait...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yeah I mean look at MegaUpload based in Hong Kong and is still serving copyrighted material... oh wait...

Hong Kong isn't third world country

M3DO.png

Mamiću odlazi!

Who said anything about third-world?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I have no time for the bots. I always report them if I see them! I play the game for me and my own achievements. I enjoy playing it and if people feel that they have to turn to botting because they cant be bothered to play properly then they shouldnt play at all!

The jurisdiction regarding internet policy in some countries is weak, enabling the people there to operate a quasi-legal operation more easily. It's not just mid-African or Asian countries either-for example, Ukraine.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Megaupload was a registered business in Hong Kong, with the owners living in New Zealand.

However their servers were in the USA.

You just need to be in a country that doesn't extradite or kowtow to the USA/EU.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

I was under the impression that tensions between America and China were fairly high (maybe a little lower recently).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It's all very well registering and hosting your business from a country with dodgy interpretations of copyright law but if you are making money from the operation which is funneling it's way to you and you're living in the united states or europe then you will eventually fall foul of the law. You're not immune from international law just because you claim to be based in a tiny country where its difficult to serve notice on. It's also unrealistic to set up your business in a country like Somalia, it doesn't have the technical infrastructure to run a high tech business and you'd probably get killed by real life pirates as well.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Bot dev thinks he's safe in egypt?... lol

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Bots are only in p2p now, correct?

I barely see any more bots in f2p now, even when mining.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

The trade limit put on pure f2p accounts when newly created has taken care of most F2p bots, the throwaway mentality doesn't work anymore since you need to pay at least one month for each and every bot - because of this I guess most goldfarmers have turned for p2p bots.

Runecrafting bots are back too.

Yes indeed. The bots are crowding castle wars bank chest and the nature rune altar. It's not strange that nats have crashed recently.

Bot nuke now please, Jagex?

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

The trade limit put on pure f2p accounts when newly created has taken care of most F2p bots, the throwaway mentality doesn't work anymore since you need to pay at least one month for each and every bot - because of this I guess most goldfarmers have turned for p2p bots.

Gold in inventory, red portal in clan wars. Not a problem.

2m272v5.gif

Runecrafting bots are back too.

Yes indeed. The bots are crowding castle wars bank chest and the nature rune altar. It's not strange that nats have crashed recently.

Bot nuke now please, Jagex?

I've been seeing more and more bots *cough* greendragons *cough* too, makes me sad =/

I imagine gearing up for something as big as last year's bot nuke takes a lot of time though, to be fair...

Grafarg.png

quest cape is the easiest cape to get, legends cape is harder to get than a quest cape even

Bot Nuke - March 2012

It's been a while since that preliminary bot nuke last October. Now that there's been time for competent people to move on and various arrangements to be made, I will soon be making my final announcement on RSBuddy. In particular I will speak about the end of RSBuddy and what the approach will be to any further related projects. I will also speak in general terms about the larger bot nuke that's due in shortly, which should encompass every type of bot and conclude the development time needed to deal with bots for a long while

this was post from Jacmob on his forum

so should be a bigger nuke coming soon from looks of it

28qrtba.jpg

I will also speak in general terms about the larger bot nuke that's due in shortly, which should encompass every type of bot

Good. Freaking. Luck. Jagex.

No offence but they can change the colors, swap positions, change coordinates, alter messages... There is and always will be a way to beat their system. They think they can do better jobs then companies like PunkBuster or HackShield in terms of anti-cheat, yet can rarely even produce bug-free content.

Been saying all along that there's still ways to bot, still methods available and that it was just time until someone found them. Jac did it, but he was simply first in line. Now, other bot developers have started to catch on and injection has returned.

They were confident they broke injection and reflection for good and were promising to finally tackle screen scraping (Again, good luck) and one has already made a reappearance. Sorry, but my money is not on Jagex winning this war - although I'd prefer they did.

There's a system and a pattern to everything. Even if Jagex does another nuke, developers will be more aware, caught less off-guard, and most likely be able to rebuild their clients in less time. Sure this one took some months (Although screen scraping never left), but I doubt the next will take long to beat.

09144a99bb.png

I will also speak in general terms about the larger bot nuke that's due in shortly, which should encompass every type of bot

No offence but they can change the colors, swap positions, change coordinates, alter messages... There is and always will be a way to beat their system. They think they can do better jobs then companies like PunkBuster or HackShield in terms of anti-cheat, yet can rarely even produce bug-free content.

Been saying all along that there's still ways to bot, still methods available and that it was just time until someone found them. Jac did it, but he was simply first in line. Now, other bot developers have started to catch on and injection has returned.

They were confident they broke injection and reflection for good and were promising to finally tackle screen scraping (Again, good luck) and one has already made a reappearance. Sorry, but my money is not on Jagex winning this war - although I'd prefer they did.

There's a system and a pattern to everything. Even if Jagex does another nuke, developers will be more aware, caught less off-guard, and most likely be able to rebuild their clients in less time. Sure this one took some months (Although screen scraping never left), but I doubt the next will take long to beat.

from what i see first nuke was more aim on reflection and some of injection even jagex said bots would return and this nuke was only the first step

from sounds my first post here next nuke will be more on injection/color/screen bots

guess time will tell i know they won't be 100% gone but it is nice jagex working faster on taking them if really has one in march

so for my gram it sucks :P

28qrtba.jpg

Unfortunately, I kind of trust the opinion of somebody who managed to actually get a good bot up and running after Jagex's sweep in being confident about their removal than somebody who didn't not being confident. Your pessimism is just annoying at this stage. Jagex know bots will never be 100% gone, but they are doing their best at getting rid of most of them and making the game better for everybody else. Carry on being sour about it while everybody else is happy if you want.

I actually think that your last statement is wrong. It took them a long time to re-establish after the last nuke, and if this one is even more comprehensive (as it is going for more types of bots) then the chances are it could take just as long, if not longer to get bots up and running again. By that time, Jagex could have another sweep ready to go. I see bots on the back foot here, not Jagex.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Unfortunately, I kind of trust the opinion of somebody who managed to actually get a good bot up and running after Jagex's sweep in being confident about their removal than somebody who didn't not being confident. Your pessimism is just annoying at this stage. Jagex know bots will never be 100% gone, but they are doing their best at getting rid of most of them and making the game better for everybody else. Carry on being sour about it while everybody else is happy if you want.

You're latching onto one part of his message (the difficulty of breaking a type of bot and the difficulty of maintaining it) and ignoring everything else while being equally sour and pessimistic in your own way - except it's towards fellow members of the community. You think somehow that just because a person is realistic, that it should wash away the good will Jagex has gathered by at least presenting a concentrated effort. It doesn't. On one hand you'll listen to Jacmob and believe that bots will be removed and on the other hand you say that you know not all bots will be removed. You say that it took a long time for bots to be re-established, yet really all it did was take time for screen scraping and color pickers to become easiest botting option considering what they faced. For every bot we see by the name of 'xsegadsgej,' there are many others who are 'botting smart' - taking breaks, switching scripts, not botting while being investigated, having "normal" names, etc.

I'm just...confused why anyone would get upset for being realistic. I'm confused as to why people automatically assumes they're part of the Anti-Jagex Hate Machine. I'm confused why, after so long of this ongoing discussion topic, we still have these kinds of discussions.

hzvjpwS.gif