Runescape Discussion: Why do you play?

Kilo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was thinking about it, I have all of the reasons to quit but none of the reasons to play.

I haven't felt a spark of real joy since mid 2010. I guess I play to chat mainly, but nothing even remotely filling. Another reason I should quit is that the game is feeling tasteless and burnt out on me but yet to find a decent game to find aside from cliches with no real depth. Not even remotely addicted to be honest.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe I should switch my status to 'retired' and seek out something.

harpycopy.png

fyi, ladies dig the talons

Hot man of the Trickster Pirates.

I've updated my first post. I tried to include a variety of the answers throughout the thread, but I missed some because of time. I would like to hear some of your answers to the particular questions I asked (If you consider yourself part of a group I tried to distinguish).

Thanks for the input, this thread is going along very well in my opinion.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

First EDIT: I would like to mention that I continue to play other games, but I find runescape boring and repetitive.

One of the reasons I'm hearing or reading about a lot is the relaxing aspect of the game. I have a few questions about your motivation though and how you play it. Do you play for a set amount of time? Do you sacrifice other opportunities in order to play Runescape? Do you play other games as well? Do you think that the game itself keeps you playing by the nature of how it works? Meaning does the game make you keep playing "to get a 99, or impress other people?"

To those who play for the friends who they've made over the years. Can you justify playing a game with people you've met online because they're your friends? Couldn't you just as easily use Facebook or some other type of communication source to stay in contact? Do you think the game provides you a medium in which to stay connected with your friends, and isn't the argument that by playing the game you stay connected to your friends counterproductive to making friends in real life?

I'll answer these two sets of questions.

I don't play for a set amount of time and I play it when I have free time that I don't feel like using for something else. I play other games, primarily on the xbox. My long-term goal is to get a comp cape, but I have a few other goals with that. That main goal leads into the second set of questions.

Even with my goal, I find myself getting bored often, and I end up spending a ton of time just in the lobby pming and talking in my clan chat (ask anyone from dgs :P). I don't bring my real life into the game or with the people I meet ingame because I have no need to. Regardless of when I get bored, I'm still active on xp-waste and my goals still exist. Playing runescape doesn't help nor hurt my ability to make friends in real life. I have an active life outside of runescape, so playing it doesn't do much to me socially.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

no idea, it's a complete waste of time, effort, and is completely unenjoyable in every way

I just play without questioning it, if I really hated it I wouldn't log on

I watch movies, TV shows, read, do schoolwork (university), etc. all the time while I play which is probably why I can stand the mindless horse shit

I play like 10 hours a day :thumbup:

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

Runescape is my anti-drug.

I assume that means if I quit Runescape, I'll succumb to the temptations of illegal substances soon after. That's why I'm never quitting.

Thanks a lot, DARE.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I finally quit about mid-way through the summer after starting way back in high school and going all the way through junior year of college. I almost came back a few weeks ago, but I held my cards, and sure enough Jagex managed to dissuade me with the over-marketing. I've made loads of friends all over the world through Runescape, and those people I care about and still talk to, but what finally made me quit is I decided to take my other hobby and put it in front of me while I continue going to school.

It finally clicked in my head through the summer that I could apply the way I think of RS to the way I go through life. I'm not afraid to admit that this game's strategies have rubbed off on me. Yes, I walk quickly and efficiently to where I need to go, and strive for some sort of efficiency in doing whatever work I face. I seem to have developed some abnormal sensitivity to detecting tone in written language that has helped considerably in deciding how to respond, and it usually guarantees that I get along with someone I communicate with in the business world. Now I'm quite content taking my time compiling a book on my hobby (origami, there's a gallery topic if you're curious) and focusing on college classes that only get harder, and somewhere in there I pretty much stopped caring about levels that just seem to be a grind of time that could better be used doing something unique in the physical world.

I think that's it; I finally realized that I want to make my own path and design some things I'll be able to show my grand-kids one day. I'm not saying I've grown up, I've just grown out of the need to log on and check the GE in the morning. I know what people think when they read this and scoff, I used to be one of you. I'm not saying it's bad or good to keep playing or be a super-xp machine, but I think there's a point when everyone figures out their place in life, and I'm pretty close to it. RS just doesn't seem to be in it for me, or prepared to last the journey.

That's my most honest answer, I love this community's constant fights over change, it's really amusing and a good venting system. The community I'll never leave, but the game I seem to have left. It's sad that Jagex saves bad news for after RuneFest, but I think Tipit and the other fansites will always have something good and something bad to talk about.

I quit mainly because:

1) Most of my friends quit

2) Jagex's direction of the game

3) League of Legends

I really don't know why I was so hooked onto Runescape the past 3 years. Looking back I actually regret it.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I spend most of my time helping in my penguin hunting clan. I find it to be a really enjoyable activity, and the community is very friendly there, plus I've made a lot of friends there.

Apart from that, I complete quests whenever they come out and ocasionally train a skill for something I'd like to have, but I get bored quickly. I can definitely say I would long have quit if not for penguins :P

I've never understood the "quit-once-you-go-to-college" mentality. When I went off the college, I played Runescape more, not less as I had more free time during the day (instead of going to school for 8+ hours a day, I only had class for maybe three hours a day plus maybe two work study) and could stay up as late as I wanted.

Anyway, I play to fight boredom, just the same reason I play any other game.

I've quit RS for 6 months now and I recently started college. My school is far away from home so I live on my own during the week and I have to admit I have been wanting to play again A LOT. (One of the reasons why I'm on tif right now after months of not logging in here..)

The good thing is, whenever I decide to log in and play again I see all my friends have moved on, the community changed and the game changed. I log out after 5 minutes, nod my head and say "nope, not again.."

Why I want to play? I don't know, I kinda miss the just walking around, training a skill while chatting, hours flew for me. + I always want to have a succesful account, like now I want to make a new pure but I know I'll log in and just get off again.

To everyone that wants to quit but has problems, I basically changed my addiction. I bought an Xbox 360 and spent my time playing that. It both has advantages and disadvantages but I find myself more "adult" now because I play games like Battlefield or COD instead of this somewhat "childish" game that has taken up almost a year of my life..

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

Even adults need time to themselves for relaxation. The only reason our parents didn't play video games was that they weren't as commonplace as they are now. Send today's entertainment technology back 30 years and I guarantee my dad would have been all over it.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I like how you say your transition to becoming more of an adult means playing COD

I was obviously talking about my gamer-self. Also note that I said Battlefield and COD, the fact that you're attacking COD only proves how childish you still are.

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

I agree with Kaida23's point :grin:

I continue to play, not just for the relaxation but also because I really enjoy all aspects of the game. I'm not someone who powers through to 99, I took over a year to get my 99 farming because I wanted to do it without buying any seeds.....my own personal challenge. I regularly did other things though, quests or some other skilling, maybe a bit of slayer here and there. After this new quest I have found myself going down to the abbey in Al Kharid to just sit in the scriptorium and listen to the music lol. I play the game to suit my mood at the time, that's what is great about RS, you can play it any way you want to.

35cq0q9.png

I've quit RS for 6 months now and I recently started college. My school is far away from home so I live on my own during the week and I have to admit I have been wanting to play again A LOT. (One of the reasons why I'm on tif right now after months of not logging in here..)

The good thing is, whenever I decide to log in and play again I see all my friends have moved on, the community changed and the game changed. I log out after 5 minutes, nod my head and say "nope, not again.."

Why I want to play? I don't know, I kinda miss the just walking around, training a skill while chatting, hours flew for me. + I always want to have a succesful account, like now I want to make a new pure but I know I'll log in and just get off again.

To everyone that wants to quit but has problems, I basically changed my addiction. I bought an Xbox 360 and spent my time playing that. It both has advantages and disadvantages but I find myself more "adult" now because I play games like Battlefield or COD instead of this somewhat "childish" game that has taken up almost a year of my life..

This was the same problem I had when I went to college about a year and 4 months ago. I missed runescape, but every time I came back things were more different. I really hate the loyalty program they've added; it's such a gimmicky move. I did what you did and started playing others games, games with my friends though, like minecraft, left for dead 2, and other random things.

I want to make it clear that I'm not against video games in general, I just find it interesting that people would spend amounts of time grinding skills (usually alone and isolated from other people). I have nothing against Runescape at all; it helped me through a rough patch in my life, but it also kept me too comfortable as a child and I had a lot of growing up to do when I got to college as a result.

Thanks for everyone's answers.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

I like how you say your transition to becoming more of an adult means playing COD

I was obviously talking about my gamer-self. Also note that I said Battlefield and COD, the fact that you're attacking COD only proves how childish you still are.

I'm not talking which part of you is more adult, but that the game itself is an "adult game". I find the difference in maturity both in requirement and actual playerbase COD and Runescape are about the same. I suppose I should have been more careful with my word choice as people are so quick to judge what you say if you don't make it completely clear.

I purposely didn't mention Battlefield because I appreciate the gameplay in that game a lot more, although I'll admit the overall maturity is roughly the same.

I just simply find it interesting that you would define your gaming maturity in what games you play and not how you approach them.

I don't care what age you are when you play games; I feel like a lot of games have no real boundary based on how old you are. I totally agree that adults can, and in fact should, play games of all sorts; my friend's dad in fact PVPs with him in WoW and regularly 2v2 scrims with him in SC2 and I find that to be pretty cool. However, this topic was not what I intended to be inferred from my post.

I love Call of Duty, but when i finish playing and get bored, i turn it off. Simple.

People look at RuneScape as more of a lifestyle choice than a game, which is the cause of many problems to ones life.

Just play the game, and when your done, Go do something else. You dont need a reason or an excuse to play the game!

Miseryism | Completionist

I love Call of Duty, but when i finish playing and get bored, i turn it off. Simple.

People look at RuneScape as more of a lifestyle choice than a game, which is the cause of many problems to ones life.

Just play the game, and when your done, Go do something else. You dont need a reason or an excuse to play the game!

I hope that doesn't mean I'm gonna have to sit through a pride parade. I know Kaida has been dying to bust out his assless chaps. :???:

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

I hope that doesn't mean I'm gonna have to sit through a pride parade. I know Kaida has been dying to bust out his assless chaps. :???:

WHO TOLD YOU AB....I mean, I don't know what you're talking about. :unsure:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Don't follow at all, explain? <3:

Miseryism | Completionist

WHO TOLD YOU AB....I mean, I don't know what you're talking about. :unsure:

Saw them in the closet. A closet you didn't come out of by the way. ;)

And Jadinko, homosexuality is also called a lifestyle choice. They have pride parades and the guys were assless chaps for some reason. :thumbup:

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!