20-December-2011 Christmas Event

Cheefoo

For some reason I thought that would reduce the quality, but I can't tell the difference. I usually would opt to save as .png right out but the unregistered version of FRAPS won't let me do that. It still shrunk though. I don't know why. Only reason FRAPS was worth mentioning here was that I can't take screenshots in full screen without it.

7no9.png

Good representation of RuneScape's best graphics -> Doesn't even look like RuneScape anymore

2dgucz6.png

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? :P

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

RuneScape's always been known for poor to mediocre graphics, but I've seen plenty of people say "woah, that looks far better than I remember it". It still has a distinctive style though, so I can't see that anything's been lost.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

RuneScape's always been known for poor to mediocre graphics, but I've seen plenty of people say "woah, that looks far better than I remember it". It still has a distinctive style though, so I can't see that anything's been lost.

The great irony is: In terms of a 100% online, no big download, no installer, no disc game Runescape has always been MILLLLLLLEEEES ahead in graphics.

But it does give me pleasure to see rs graphics looking nicer than the blocky edged WoW graphics everyone used to throw up as an example of better graphics. Obv rs is still block in some ways, but they have worked that limitation into the graphical style so it looks intentional where as WoW just looks like erm yeah we decided to just use 5 polygons to make this 8 story tree house so please ignore the giant pointy corners that don't look very tree-like

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The great irony is: In terms of a 100% online, no big download, no installer, no disc game Runescape has always been MILLLLLLLEEEES ahead in graphics.

But it does give me pleasure to see rs graphics looking nicer than the blocky edged WoW graphics everyone used to throw up as an example of better graphics. Obv rs is still block in some ways, but they have worked that limitation into the graphical style so it looks intentional where as WoW just looks like erm yeah we decided to just use 5 polygons to make this 8 story tree house so please ignore the giant pointy corners that don't look very tree-like

Yea. As far as Java games go, Runescape has always been on the leading edge in terms of pushing the engine as far as it can go.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Oh yeah, I agree all the way. The bad graphics criticism doesn't apply any more, it's pretty good for a MMO now, and has always been the cutting edge of technology in terms of what can be done in Java. I love the style and wouldn't wish anything else on the game, I've always been one to celebrate graphics because it's so amazing from a technical standpoint.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The screen in the lobby reads 'Merry Christmas, Adventurer...'

Interesting...while I have no issue with a Christmas themed event, I'd like to believe that we have moved past the day and age when Merry Christmas is shouted blindly. At least where I'm from, it has nearly entirely been phased out for the more politically correct greeting of 'Happy Holidays'. Regardless, I'll check out the event and discuss my opinion now.

Does it really matter? You could tell me "Merry Kwanzaa" or "Happy Christmas" for all I care. It all comes out to the same thing in the end, wishing that person and their loved ones a good time and hoping they enjoy whatever they do.

As for the RS event, I thought it was really fun, the 'reverse minesweeper' thing had me annoyed for a few minutes because I couldn't see a spot I missed from the camera angle between a pair of chairs, haha.

I hope I can keep the Jar of Christmas Spirit! I wanna run around using it on people, it's fun. Also, Sparkles (the pet) is my favourite pet now. Even if his "Followers Details" picture looks a bit like male genitalia. Overall fun is all I can say about the event :).

-Cloud.

paulsig.gif

Cloud1924.png

Cloud1924.png

And so the world will end. I think a victim of love rather than hate, for love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

The screen in the lobby reads 'Merry Christmas, Adventurer...'

Interesting...while I have no issue with a Christmas themed event, I'd like to believe that we have moved past the day and age when Merry Christmas is shouted blindly. At least where I'm from, it has nearly entirely been phased out for the more politically correct greeting of 'Happy Holidays'. Regardless, I'll check out the event and discuss my opinion now.

Does it really matter? You could tell me "Merry Kwanzaa" or "Happy Christmas" for all I care. It all comes out to the same thing in the end, wishing that person and their loved ones a good time and hoping they enjoy whatever they do.

As for the RS event, I thought it was really fun, the 'reverse minesweeper' thing had me annoyed for a few minutes because I couldn't see a spot I missed from the camera angle between a pair of chairs, haha.

I hope I can keep the Jar of Christmas Spirit! I wanna run around using it on people, it's fun. Also, Sparkles (the pet) is my favourite pet now. Even if his "Followers Details" picture looks a bit like male genitalia. Overall fun is all I can say about the event :).

-Cloud.

Every MMO have its own lore about their interpretation on Christmas, since it would be very difficult to add "Chris" into their fantasy land.... safely.

For RS, Chrismas is pretty much about the stories about Guthix, the land of snow and the frost queen, where Santa/scourge are subjects of the land of snow.

The standard of Runescapes graphics I would say, is pretty dam high. There isn't a single MMO out there on any platform that has the highest end graphics possible (with maybe the exception of FFXIV, and we all know how successful that is.)

Regardless though, I've never played WoW but I have seen plenty of in game footage and I don't see what all the fuss is about. The textures in it seem pretty rough and undefined. People always used to spout that same line about how "Nobody plays Runescape for it's graphics." To be honest I think it has one of the most unique art styles of any game and the improvements they have made this year show how skilled they are in utilising Java.

Sylpheed.png

Although, to the most gamer population, appreciating a Game's technological significance probably is on par as how real is this compared to real life. Most gamers simply don't care, in fact some might frawn upon the fact it is built on java, let alone beating its graphics ON Java.

I played WoW before, and recently came back to RS. While the graphics in WoW are getting more and more refined in the later expansion packs, a lot of the old areas look like the same old graphics back in the day. The bulk of the game also revolve around 'Raids', and the lore behind it. Basically once you achieve what you want in terms of status of your gear from Normal or heroic raids and such, there is nothing more to the game beyond grinding old content for achievements. It was fun for some parts, but Blizzard are also updating in such a way that less and less people are interested in professional raiding (both top guilds on our server, 1 Alliance, 1 Horde, both have disbanded). And the random heroics are now filled with more impatient kids that don't either tolerate a wipe and leaves after one, or one who clearly never bothered to gear him but for even the basic heroics.

... That and I find the whole Kung Fu Panda idea of the next expansion a ridiculous representation of the East. Panda yes, Monks yes, Panda monks, which were recently comedified in a movie for kids? No thanks!

Runescape was different, not only it was a technological marvel, it was willing to update an entire engine, let alone old content, to make it look like it is today. This is what I respect it for.

Now... if they'd fix that damn DX bloom bug I'd die a happy man

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I do love how rs constantly updates everything graphically, it's just sometimes I wish they'd be more consistent with it. They seem to start a project of make-overs, get sidelined then start a new project of makeovers.

Eg over summer we got new trees being added with most updates....then nothing for months.

Updating areas we often get like lumby then varrock then draynor then fally and occassionally edge...then they stop for a while and normally most other places don;t get a look in but a few months later lumby gets done again.

I mean granted a lot of eastern areas are behind the curve on current standard, but please can't they wait (since they r pretty decent) and let places like Ardougne and Yanille FINALLY get a make-over that is overdue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Christmas is a pagan holiday. Christmas tree is also pagan, it was never even a christian symbol.

OT: I liked the event. It was fun and the puzzle was a bit challenging, other than that it was pretty straightforward. Personally, I think it was better than last years. :)

Actually, the pagan holiday you're thinking of is the celebration of the Winter Solstice. If the particular branch of paganism you're thinking of is the wiccan branch. While a christmas tree is pagan, the early church had christmas (the festival of christ's brith) at the time of the winter solstice in order to replace it.

I do love how rs constantly updates everything graphically, it's just sometimes I wish they'd be more consistent with it. They seem to start a project of make-overs, get sidelined then start a new project of makeovers.

Eg over summer we got new trees being added with most updates....then nothing for months.

Updating areas we often get like lumby then varrock then draynor then fally and occassionally edge...then they stop for a while and normally most other places don;t get a look in but a few months later lumby gets done again.

I mean granted a lot of eastern areas are behind the curve on current standard, but please can't they wait (since they r pretty decent) and let places like Ardougne and Yanille FINALLY get a make-over that is overdue.

I sort-of wish that when they updated an area, the updated it completely. New everything. And didn't apply any of that stuff anywhere else until that place got updated. A case in point is the GE clerks, which weren't updated while bankers were shoehorned in from draynor. Also trees, as you say.

Finally, be more bold with area updates. Change the layout of things as well as their look if you want. GE got a fountain, but edgeville's ruins could do with making sense.

I'm not an efficienado.

Edgeville ruins do make sense. There was a Zarosian fortress there that got destroyed, plus it ties in with all the ruins added to wilderness wall showing old boundaries.

Layout changing I think is a very bad idea, they do do it slightly (eg draynor houses got split up more), but the idea is a graphically overhaul not a re-build of the map. The places retain their identity from keeping their general layout; besides its not like they don;t change at all layout wise overtime. Buildings getting slightly nudged about all the time for new content; the most obvious big one recently was a bunch of houses in east falador being removed/shuffled to fit in the artisan's workshop.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The standard of Runescapes graphics I would say, is pretty dam high. There isn't a single MMO out there on any platform that has the highest end graphics possible (with maybe the exception of FFXIV, and we all know how successful that is.)

Regardless though, I've never played WoW but I have seen plenty of in game footage and I don't see what all the fuss is about. The textures in it seem pretty rough and undefined. People always used to spout that same line about how "Nobody plays Runescape for it's graphics." To be honest I think it has one of the most unique art styles of any game and the improvements they have made this year show how skilled they are in utilising Java.

Go to youtube, search for Drakensang online, look at the backgrounds ... True it's D2 style-ish, but I'd dump the moving camera for such graphics .. (and I did for a while).

Edgeville ruins do make sense. There was a Zarosian fortress there that got destroyed, plus it ties in with all the ruins added to wilderness wall showing old boundaries.

Layout changing I think is a very bad idea, they do do it slightly (eg draynor houses got split up more), but the idea is a graphically overhaul not a re-build of the map. The places retain their identity from keeping their general layout; besides its not like they don;t change at all layout wise overtime. Buildings getting slightly nudged about all the time for new content; the most obvious big one recently was a bunch of houses in east falador being removed/shuffled to fit in the artisan's workshop.

I doubt the zarosian fortress would look like those ruins, though (our current reference is Ghorrock) and why wouldn't the citizens of edgeville use that land to build something good and useful?

I'm not an efficienado.

You must remember that Edgeville is only one year old according to the game's history. One year ago it was the deserted town called Ghost Town, until King Roald redesigned the place to make it a little village, now called Edgeville. Maybe there wasn't enough money to redesigne the whole area, or it has been left there because of historical importance.

You must remember that Edgeville is only one year old according to the game's history. One year ago it was the deserted town called Ghost Town, until King Roald redesigned the place to make it a little village, now called Edgeville. Maybe there wasn't enough money to redesigne the whole area, or it has been left there because of historical importance.

Well doesn't that make the Dragonkin look like a bunch of cowards.

Well the ruins have tombs in them, so I doubt they'd just tear em down. More likely restore them.

And why does it make the Dragonkin cowards? They attack indiscriminately and they have not been seen since before the Godwars, they have no idea how old a place is.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Well the ruins have tombs in them, so I doubt they'd just tear em down. More likely restore them.

And why does it make the Dragonkin cowards? They attack indiscriminately and they have not been seen since before the Godwars, they have no idea how old a place is.

But Varrock is literally RIGHT THERE

And the Grand Exchange is literally RIGHT THERE

And goddamn fortified and the epitome of a medieval stronghold, Falador is like a MINUTE away.

And instead of using a major, populated establishment to send a message, they use a town that's barely populated.

Because they can't turn their eyes 2 degrees east and see a much better target.

But Varrock is literally RIGHT THERE

And the Grand Exchange is literally RIGHT THERE

And goddamn fortified and the epitome of a medieval stronghold, Falador is like a MINUTE away.

And instead of using a major, populated establishment to send a message, they use a town that's barely populated.

Because they can't turn their eyes 2 degrees east and see a much better target.

Again they are indiscriminate; it isn't that they CHOSE edgeville to send a message or anything. Edgeville just happened to be there, the same way Mos Le Harmless happened to be there when they first arrived, and they needed to vent the anger and power built up via Stone of Jas use.

Besides the fact they are smart and do not know the world yet it makes perfect sense to NOT attack a major settlement as they have no idea how powerful a foe they would enrage, there is only 3 of them afterall and they were defeated by Robert the Strong, a human, previously.

Plv6Dz6.jpg