The Back Room

stevepole

You get computer viruses through trojans that are downloaded along with cookies and spyware, these trojans then install themselves in areas where they are not deleted when you clean your log, such as in Win32, after that they begin downloading other viruses and spyware onto your computer. You may also find viruses disguised as or in direct downloads of freeware.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

It's entirely possible that certain things you may get when you browse a website are just checked by your scanner as a virus or a potential threat. Not because they are, but incase they can be.

I'm not actually sure, so I wouldn't say this was an actual fact, should probably ask Wyvren.

Also I'm not sure that you're clicking links that are ON the websites and getting it from there, or if you're actually browsing the website and it comes from there. I mean I've seen viruses posted on Tip.It, such as from spam bots, but they're obviously viruses. I mean you see em on facebook all the time, infact a bunch of those like pages on Facebook can potentially get a lot of information about you because you liked them (Which is funny, because the people who like a lot of stuff on Facebook are generally people who you don't want to know).

Also @Retech and Mather

THE JOKE

YOUR HEAD

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Nope, no joke going above our heads here, we were the ones who were joking, since I do believe Lei actually feared that some of us here drink and drive.

And no, that kind of joke isn't morbid since if it was then everything would be morbid. There's nothing in life that can't kill ya. You can choke on an orgasm or you could get air in your veins, it doesn't matter how innocent something is, if applied correctly then you're dead.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

It is possible for literally ANY site to give you a virus. What makes a 'trusted' site special is that they can usually find and remove the virus before it affects more than a few people.

I just wasn't lucky. I've gotten a virus from tip.it as well, I messaged Tripsis... And I take the fact that I A) haven't gotten the virus again which would renew every time I visited the site and B) never received word back from the Admins after a message asking clarification as meaning that there indeed was a virus that managed to sneak onto the site, it was removed, and the Admins didn't want to worry anyone by saying that.

That isn't how a computer virus works.

It's entirely possible for a website to be hacked and made to install harmful files...

I never click on any adds, period, and I know they were viruses rather than simple false alarms because I suddenly had malevolent files on my computer and was getting popups where no popups had a right to be. Like when I DIDN'T HAVE THE DAMNED WEB BROWSER OPEN. Along with a few other things.

I know Deviantart was the cause of one because a fake antivirus program suddenly registered and my computer began to crash as soon as a DA page loaded, when I hadn't been to any sites beyond my normal routine save for Deviantart in the last few days. I know Tip.it was the cause of the second because I would run antivirus in safe mode, find and delete JS/Popup (using antivirus programs recommended specifically for it, among others), browse the internet without popups (including Javascript-running sites), open Tip.it and suddenly start getting popups again and finding JS/Popup in my antivirus scans.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Only ever had that problem once, and the site I was obviously not going to be safe, I had an iffy feeling before I even went on it.

I think I know the virus you are on about with the virus scanner, quite a common one.

You must just suck at internet browsing~ I mean yeah, I've had tons of viruses (in my defense the anti virus said everything was safe, so [bleep] AVG) Which is humorous because you seem to be the only one who is THAT paranoid (who isn't a little paranoid)

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

That's adware, it's not even technically a form of malware.

Indeed, but it's not supposed to BE here.

Only ever had that problem once, and the site I was obviously not going to be safe, I had an iffy feeling before I even went on it.

I think I know the virus you are on about with the virus scanner, quite a common one.

You must just suck at internet browsing~ I mean yeah, I've had tons of viruses (in my defense the anti virus said everything was safe, so [bleep] AVG) Which is humorous because you seem to be the only one who is THAT paranoid (who isn't a little paranoid)

I've only had it happen with Deviantart, Tip.it, and a cheat-code site I used to visit long ago. Oh, and one time when I was doing a Google Images search for a picture of Maka from Soul Eater. Of course, out of all the identical versions of that one image, the first I clicked had to bounce the URL to a trojan downloader.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well there are hundreds of millions that die in living-related accidents each year too, so what's your point?

My views on genocide are neither here nor there :thumbsup:

Ultimately though, driving increases you risk of killing people by a rather large margin, over walking alone.

Which was my point =P

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Nex, I highly doubt the virus came from DA or tip.it. If you honestly believe that, then you need to go do some homework on virus'. You don't just get a virus from visiting trusted sites. It's just not possible.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

I'm with Iey on that. :thumbup:

My point with the whole prevent teen/young adult death is that I don't want anyone of my friends killed. I still consider you all friends. I'd be devistated to lose a friend. I've nearly lost one of them, I don't want to lose any one compleatly.

Nex, I highly doubt the virus came from DA or tip.it. If you honestly believe that, then you need to go do some homework on virus'. You don't just get a virus from visiting trusted sites. It's just not possible.

I'm with Iey on that. :thumbup:

ANYTHING is possible, ESPECIALLY when it involves the internet.

Ask a professional, however unlikely it may be ANY site can give you a virus. Not because they inherently contain viruses, but because it's entirely possible for even just one single page to have some little bit of coding stitched in by a bored hacker. As I've said, it's probably not likely to happen (depending on the number of sites, trusted or not, that you regularly browse and the time you spend on the internet), I've just had [cabbage] luck on the subject.

There hasn't been a single virus in my memory haven't been able to track down to its source. I test these things, and learn from them. I'm not so much paranoid save for not downloading messy torrents, as prepared to deal with what does come along.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Gah!

Ok, got my timetable, and I have one course spread cross two semesters...

In the first semester it is Thursday 9 O'Clock till 11 O'Clock...The same time as another one of my courses :thumbsup:

In the second semester it is Friday Afternoons at 4 O'Clock till 6 O'Clock...The same time as YET ANOTHER one of my courses.

So, as things stand, I will probably attend a grand total of 0 out of 22 lectures for that subject...Which will be 'amazing fun'. Very fortunately I know a number of people who did the course last year, and I only need to write two reports on the subject, no exams...So I not the end of the world.

And I get to talk to the subject people in a few hours, so hopefully there is a workaround.

(Mushing from one to the other takes 20 minutes, so if I did that (the two other courses are only an hour) I would probably only get 30-40 minutes, tops...Of lectures that usually end early. :thumbup:

I mean, it would have been nice for some sort of Lecture Timetable to have been published while we were making our choices, rather than information about the course (Which, lets be honest, we only skimmed)...But no.

:rolleyes:

Anywho:

I get Monday and Tuesday off in the first semester, have 2 hours of courses on Wednesday and Thursday, and one on Friday. Plus one seminar a week, which isn't yet set.

In the second semester, 1 hour on mondays, then Tuesday and Wednesday off, one hour on Thursday, and then five hours (With a 3 hour break between hour 2 and 3) on Friday. Plus 2-4 Seminars.

So its not like I won't have time to catch up...and the files are typically on the web so...

Motorcycles cause more accidents than they prevent. :thumbup:

Motorcycles are more prone to get in accidents, true, but they are not the cause of them, that would be the [wagon] who think they should drive first because they have the larger vehicles.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Mototcycles(And their users), like people who flaunt their bodies, are not soley to blame when bad things happen to them...But they don't help matters either...

Simple law I try to follow, everyone who is involved in partially responsible...Blame must be apportioned, but everyone should take responsibility and try to do something about it.

If you follow the law and drive responsibly and you're then hit as someone runs a red light, you're not to be blamed.

Motorcyclists are statistically more likely to drive carefully than other motorists, as they're more likely to get injured or killed in an accident.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

If you follow the law and drive responsibly and you're then hit as someone runs a red light, you're not to be blamed.

If you are dressed is black, have a cross section of an average person, or marginally higher, and travelling at a speed approaching that of a African Big Cat hunting its prey...then you are to be blamed.

There would be CONSIDERABLY less accidents involving motorcyclists if motorcyclists dressed in dayglow yellow (Preferably one that periodically changed colour to give other road users an increased chance of seeing them) and two large flags deployed either side so that the cross section was similar to that of a car. (Would also be excessively funny in strong weather :thumbsup: )

Then their blame would be lessened...But not entirely expunged...If you had been playing closer attention you would have seen the car/whatever and thus not been involved in the accident.

There is not a situation in which a person is not, in some way, to blame for the misfortune that has befallen them.

Possibly the only exception is if someone crashing into you when you are completely stationary, though even then, if you had taken steps to avoid the crash, then it could have been avoided...so you are still to blame.*

This view largely comes from being a pedestrian crossing the road:

While the car that hits you, it might be 'to blame', it doesn't really stop you bearing the worst of the consequences. Thus you need to take responsibility for your own well-being and not blindly assume that the car will stop.

Our Logic and Society might dictate that the car should stop at the Zebra Crossing, but the laws of nature dictate that if it doesn't, you die(Or are injured).

And out of the Law of Man and Law of Nature, I know which I respect more...

A guy crashed his vehicle, he must be an idiot.

It's a REALLY big shaft.