The Back Room

stevepole

There are two extremes when it comes to intelligence; there are the thinkers, like Galileo, who make the jobs of those who come after them easier and there are the doers, like Tesla, who invent stuff that you wouldn't expect to find anywhere short of a Sci-Fi movie.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Didn't Newton also found modern Alchemy?

Also, Newton's form of Calculus was terribly clunky...Most modern Calculus is based on Leibniz' work...Though is often attributed to Newton after an 'independant' governing body, the Royal Society in London, gave him Credit. This, of course, had nothing to do with Newton being President of the Royal Society, or head of the commitee that awarded credit to...er...Himself.

Just goes to show...its not what you know, its who you are =P

The notation for modern calculus is primarily Leibniz and Lagrange, but Newton's is heavily used in engineering and physics. They both came up with the ideas of calculus, working from different angles, so it is not accurate to say that modern calculus is based on Leibniz's work, only his notation.

At least from personal experience though, we had to learn all three (which got really clunky when the teacher started writing in all three forms alternating in different problems).

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

The notation for modern calculus is primarily Leibniz and Lagrange, but Newton's is heavily used in engineering and physics. They both came up with the ideas of calculus, working from different angles, so it is not accurate to say that modern calculus is based on Leibniz's work, only his notation.

Newton was proposing a steam engine and Leibniz was proposing a smart car...That was the effective difference between the efficencies of the two systems.

And the more efficent system won out, though Newton took credit for it.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Newton's notation is used primarily in engineering, while Langrange's and Leibniz's are used in mathematics. Each system is useful for different things and is convienient for different situations, so that is not the case at all.

The fundamental math itself is mostly the same.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

If you use Newton's system it takes twice as long because it is rough, and goes all round the houses, while Liebinz' is eloquent and direct.

(This is the major failing in Modern Academia...everything is based off of what someone else has said, with no real primary research...so two people with two conflicting view points just end up going in circles with no real ability to prove the other wrong because neither side has proof to disprove...And while you could, doubtlessly, dig up Newton's original documents and draw comparisons, since mathematics is fundermentally the same you could do exactly the same thing with Leibniz.)

By system, you are referring to the notation? Or are you referring to going back to the very origins of modern calculus and doing it from there?

:P

Well if it was notation, I would say that having used both notations, they take more or less the same amount of time to write. Personally, the only considerations I have are whether it's a derivative based on time or not. I have made a dichotomous key for your convienience:

1)

Derivative of Time (Use Newton's)

Not Derivative of Time (Go to step 2)

2)

Taking derivative of polynomial or function without division bar (Use Lagrange to save lines)

Taking derivative of function with large division bar (Use Leibniz to make things look cooler and more complicated)

If it was the actual math, I would just wander off because it is definitely not worth the time to win that argument.

Heh, I just realized how frightened I am to turn my messenger back on.

Heh, next compition I go to I'll be skating to this:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON"T HAVE TO TAKE THE MCAS (a very long test students in Massachusetts have to take) ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!! AWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Dances in a very celibratory manner*

Lei, shut up.

Okie Dokie, so I've heard that the Tavern is now just a bunch of whiny [wagon].

GET OVER YOURSELVES THOSE WHO ARE ASDFEGJWTETWGJHERWGH!

HOLY [cabbage] VIXION

CHANGE THAT SIG :o

(Actually it's pretty cool if it doesn't surprise you. Also, read Drowtales.)

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

... Stop with the Drowtales.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

D'awwww...

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Lei, shut up.

Hello Clarice.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Lei, shut up.

Nex, we're all sick of it and quite a few of us have already told you that we're sick of you constantly telling us to look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9KHo9z86rA

Yeah but no one has actually tried reading it yet. :(

I guess I'll stop being such a fanboy.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I'm happy that the forum was restructured, so I can see if there are any new posts in threads without scrolling down.

I've already read it a few pages. It didn't interest me at all.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I'm happy that the forum was restructured, so I can see if there are any new posts in threads without scrolling down.

Or you could just have used F5 to reload the page, that automatically scrolls back down to where you were.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Vixon, NO I WILL NOT SHUT UP! NO ONE TELLS ME TO SHUT UP! I'LL SHUT UP WHEN I WANNA! I don't need another person to tell me what to do. It's not my fault that I'm a fragging nutcase, it's not my fault that I'm a fraggin female, and its certiantly not my fault that everyone is so frickin mean to me when I annoy them!

Archi, no. No Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Bad song choice.

Nex, there is nothing wrong with being a fan boy. The only time it would be a bad thing is if you go Otaku on us. Please don't go Otaku on us. Go ahead and keep talking about Drowtales kiddo.

Anti-Drowtales people: Poo Poo to you. Leave Drowtales alone!