The Back Room

stevepole

I agree with Mather...He shouldn't get involved in the games.

Lets face facts, the reason Mather doesn't like it is that there are clear, defined, rules which he would have to learn to take advantage of...He would also have to suspend his own defined system of reality.

Freeform games don't require that, and neither to rigid computer games, like Half-Life and Portal, which essentially removes all higher level choice, leaving you with a puzzle to solve (In any way you like).

If we look at the games Mather has been in, they slow down tremenously whenever he is directly involved.

Nominally because he is arguing that he should be able to do stuff, as in freeform....Or because he is brute forcing a method consistant with his system of reality.

Now, we can try to see eye to eye...but it would be, at best, intermitant unless one side surrendered a lot...Mather only surrenders when he has been defeated by proof that obeys his particular view of reality, while a GM that surrenders to the player, on every issue, makes a poor GM.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I'd like to try an alternate RPG system sometime.

I keep hearing good things about Dark Heresy and stuff, and Don't Rest Your Head, maybe we could give that a try at some point?

I'm unfamiliar with DRYH, and I'm debating between running DH and Dresden Files FATE for my first set of one shots. It would depend upon if people would be willing to read some background fluff for the dresden files adaptation of FATE, as well as if they were willing to learn the rules a bit on their own in around 2 weeks.

LNYvk.png

Dream Ender wasn't tremendously slow while Mather played... I had set it up to where the bosses were fought on every fifth session. Also, I didn't let people decide to camp at random times.

However, for Dream Ender 2, I'm tinkering with the formatting and such to where it will be about 95% different than the origional. The 5% left would be the stuff that will end up refering to old characters and my Big-Bad-Boss-At-The-End-Of-The-Game thing. XD I love the new end boss, just cause it's not what is expected.

I'd like to try an alternate RPG system sometime.

I keep hearing good things about Dark Heresy and stuff, and Don't Rest Your Head, maybe we could give that a try at some point?

I'm unfamiliar with DRYH, and I'm debating between running DH and Dresden Files FATE for my first set of one shots. It would depend upon if people would be willing to read some background fluff for the dresden files adaptation of FATE, as well as if they were willing to learn the rules a bit on their own in around 2 weeks.

I would be willing to read the fluff material (so far I have only read the first two dresden files books due to not managing to get ahold of book 3 yet so I cant exactly read the copies of 4 and 5 that I do have so far) and really I would read the rules on my own if I had access to them, so for the time being I am limited to the brief overview of how it works that I found somewhere online.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

I can deal with fluff. Fluff can be nice sometimes.

Oh, and I thought that if anyone didn't know about this guy, they should: Brandon Sanderson.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well, since the recent merging of the Tavern with it's sub-forums. I now assume normal roleplays are to take place here as well. I've been meaning to propose an idea that could liven up the Tavern a bit. There could be roleplays made that are between 2-3 people at most, no GMs, just role plays, and you may use this thread or a new one to ask for a partner/discuss setting before starting up the role play. This way, multiple role-plays could be going on at once, with lower "players" involved per, which is usually best for a Roleplay.

This system of only having 2 people, MAYBE 3 tops allows for us tavernites to have partners that would want to participate in a similar area of fantasy. For example, if there are 2 ppl who dislike magic, but like the medieval setting, they could start up something. Not only does it involve both of them, but it also involves the rest of the Tavern, and any visitors by allowing them to read what both participants are coming up with.

It's just an idea, and not a well explained one yet either. I'm just brainstorming atm. But it also deals with the whole issue that Icu mentioned above. If a role play gets like that between just 2 people, they'll lose interest in maintaining the roleplay, and fast. I've seen it happen. So the roleplay would die fast, and they could go off in search of another writing partner if they don't like each other's style of "play".

At the same time though, less people in a particular roleplay will steer the participants away from that kind of behavior as well. At least I hope it would.

Well, from my experience 2 people makes for a somewhat boring game, as you only tend to end up with a single linear plot to participate in, when with a larger number of players you end up with a handfull of plots that the various characters get involved in and can have conflict over, though one plot does end up taking the role of the central storyline (I tend to manage to hijack the plot by being the only one who has a long running plan for my plots).

Archi: on the two game systems definately Star Control, no major preference on the focus of such a game.

It's not a game at all. Just there needs to be a system in place beforehand so that people can find someone to write with. It's standard roleplaying, no gaming at all to it. Hence why it needs to be limited to 2 people. A standard roleplay with more than that is bound to fail.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

It's not a game at all. Just there needs to be a system in place beforehand so that people can find someone to write with. It's standard roleplaying, no gaming at all to it. Hence why it needs to be limited to 2 people. A standard roleplay with more than that is bound to fail.

Ah, Sorry about that I just thought you were saying something else with a slightly different meaning (in my book I would say you are suggesting writing collaborative fiction, as opposed to roleplaying[i take the view that roleplaying is more of a group exercise than for a pair]). While Its not entirely down the alley of a majority of the Tavern you may find a few people who would be up for it. I personally would find it to be interesting, but I am far from an ideal person to do a collaborative story with, due to my inability to actually write several core areas of fiction which leads to me only being realistically able to GM and play larger group roleplays. (The most notable areas where I have a complete inability to write is Conversations. They absolutely never come out as even halfway decent.) On top of that I am pretty much busy for the next 2 weeks or so.

Does anyone have any days/times of day that they CAN'T do, in the average week?

I am thinking, vaguely, about a G(enric)U(niversal)R(ole)P(laying)S(ystem) game and wanted to know if people would be up for that.

I am currently thinking Mondays OR Fridays 8 PM, similar to how Space was.

timezone-conversion-chart.gif

Please give timezone or converted to GMT zone :grin:

The reason I am suggesting GURPS is because it allows you maximum freedom of character creation...From Samurai to Cowboy, from Caveman to Captain Kirk.

AND it is DESIGNED to be compatible with other game systems...AKA you could translate your character in Pathfinder into GURPS!

Anywho, for those not willing to acquire the rulebook here is the free-lite version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12603519/GURPS_Lite_Fourth_Edition.pdf

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask. (I won't be starting till next week at least)

The whole point is that it's generic...so it's similar to everything.

Or, you could say that it is similar to everything, hence too dissimilar to any one thing, and not similar to anything.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

What I mean is that it is really similar in the way things are portrayed in Fallout, creating a character is almost exactly like it is in Fallout NV if you subtract the graphics, Doc Mitchell and the psychological exam.

Well, the only way I can think of them being related are the fact that both Fallout and GURPS feature the core features of most Roleplaying game short of a freeform RPG. In terms of setting, it all depends upon the Setting the GM decides to use, which currently seems to be Star Control which is not even remotely similar to Fallout's setting unless you have a problem with setting things in a date in the future.

No Mather, it would be IRC.

There are skills, stats, perks and traits. In addition there are deperks.

It would be set in the future, in Space.

If you want to play, fine, if you don't then I am not going to lose sleep over it...in brutal honesty.

Retech:

Clear as mud. :rolleyes:

Its a system that you could run a Pathfinder Game off, if you set about translating one thing into another.

Not identical, but you could do it.

Probably between 100 and 200. I am only seriously looking at the game system for the first time...

If you build a 'base essential' character for 100, with a list of favourable upgrades, then that would work well.

I am thinking of giving people an extra 50 points if they don't choose any supernatural/exotic advantages, and an extra 10 to those who only choose 1.

Just made this:

http://i52.tinypic.com/117ejol.jpg

Oh, and Steve Jobs is dead.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Steve Job hat gesterben!

Oh nein, oh nein! Es kann nicht sein!

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Wow. Dam.. That must suck.. After doin all that [cabbage] and then dying in the middle of it.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

My guess is that in maybe 4-5 years, Apple will be back to being that odd company that sells weird, expensive computers only photo editors, audio technicians and hipsters use and iPhones will be the same as what MacOS was, "that thing made by that weird company that kicked off a new trend that eventually made someone else much richer".

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1