The Back Room

stevepole

The systems would be hypothetical. Ideally each GM would run a system that they were familiar with and is relatively unknown in the tavern (ex; FATE for me, danse macabre for you,etc.) or they could just continue on with the same system if they like it.

LNYvk.png

I prefer to roleplay my character instead of working out how powerful they are by filling out a mass of forms; making sure that the forms are exactly one of the many combinations that are allowed on the internet and then working out statistics so that they're PERFECTLY balanced.

Would anybody here like to download WoW and go on raids together?

qTLQRuS.png

The problem with that is; it has a tendency to lead to mary sues, they're generally arbritary is strength leading to arguments, poor or no advancement and just a bad system to use.

And by arguments I mean like

"Hey my blade ability hit you, you should be dead it kills everything in a shot"

"Yeah but my shield blocks any attack that occurs atleast once, meaning nothing happened."

"But my blade ability hits through all shields"

"By my shield defends all hits."

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Well, since the recent merging of the Tavern with it's sub-forums. I now assume normal roleplays are to take place here as well. I've been meaning to propose an idea that could liven up the Tavern a bit. There could be roleplays made that are between 2-3 people at most, no GMs, just role plays, and you may use this thread or a new one to ask for a partner/discuss setting before starting up the role play. This way, multiple role-plays could be going on at once, with lower "players" involved per, which is usually best for a Roleplay.

This system of only having 2 people, MAYBE 3 tops allows for us tavernites to have partners that would want to participate in a similar area of fantasy. For example, if there are 2 ppl who dislike magic, but like the medieval setting, they could start up something. Not only does it involve both of them, but it also involves the rest of the Tavern, and any visitors by allowing them to read what both participants are coming up with.

It's just an idea, and not a well explained one yet either. I'm just brainstorming atm. But it also deals with the whole issue that Icu mentioned above. If a role play gets like that between just 2 people, they'll lose interest in maintaining the roleplay, and fast. I've seen it happen. So the roleplay would die fast, and they could go off in search of another writing partner if they don't like each other's style of "play".

At the same time though, less people in a particular roleplay will steer the participants away from that kind of behavior as well. At least I hope it would.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

'You are stabbed by a sword, by an assailant that snuck up on you'

'But I was looking at him'

'He was behind you'

'Thats where I was looking'

'Sigh...Fine, you see this guy sneaking up behind you'

'I shoot him with my laser rifle'

'...'

On a related note, I am toying with two ideas presently:

Danse Macabre's Low-Magic Fantasy setting

Or

Star Control's (GURPS) Sci-Fi setting

Either game can be a combat-lite game of deductive reasoning, or combat by the bucketload.

So, preferences?

Reference materials:

[hide]

SC backround reading:

http://web.archive.org/web/19991122011206/http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mcmartin/gsc/History.html

Danse Macabre rulebooks (Hosted by the publisher):

http://www.mythopoeticgames.com/pdf/Danse-Core-Rules.pdf

[/hide]

And now I must go and attempt to join the local roleplaying club...again :rolleyes:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Just saying that I will never play DnD (due to arbitrary limitations such as max number of steps and casts, set range for attacks and contempt of maptools), RP (due to me finding it pointless to play anything where you play god with regards to your character) or WoW (due to contempt for Blizzard.)

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Blizzard kind of died, but thankfully the people who were good and actually made the games people love from blizzard all selectively left and made their own company which has made and is currently making a game that may revolutionise the MMORPG genre (Guild wars 2) we can hopefully look forward to a bright future.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Screw WoW. Diablo 3 is what a LOT of the fans are waiting for. And me and my parents are seriously looking forward to that game. I've been to the official site that they set up for Diablo 3 and the graphics have seriously improved in game. AND there are like 3 or 4 new classes to choose from, including the new demon hunters. AND I can finally choose between male and female characteristics in each class (aka, I can pick the gender) [hehe, then Mather could play the female Barbarian he's always dreamed about. Lol, jk]. I've already called dibs on the demon hunter female. Demon hunters are the new assassins :thumbsup:

I'll post the video intros to all the classes later, there's about 10 total now (so 10 different hide tags)

Dnd has "arbitrary" limitations for game balance. Chances are, if you wanted a character that surpassed those limitations, it can probably be built.

It's just a different kind of system. I'm actually surprised it's not your thing, since you like to rules-lawyer physics with Archi, but one of Grim's systems would probably be a better match. Or actually, Danse Macabre is relatively rules light.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Diablo 3 is going to have SO MANY CHINESE FARMERS.

Real money auction house, it's basically turning it into a job.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Meh, I'm waiting for End of Nations to come out already. Revolutionary concept and it's only in the works. Rrrf.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Ughn, I could care less about the auction house (I once said the same thing about the Grand Exchange, but I rely on that now since I'm flat broke).

In diablo 2 You can earn gold just by kicking monster ass. My mum and I would earn up to 1000 gold coins each in diablo 2 while cleansing out a dungeon. Nay, we earned way more than 1000, if you include the three million trips back to town to sell all of our crap/nonmagic/crapmagic stuff. Set items were a pain in the ass to complete. Rare items are wicked rare. Ethreal stuff you should always sell since it can't be fixed after it busts. Gems of all sizes you could collect and transmute until it reached perfect status. And the best stuff anyone wanted such as magic armor and swords you could find them while traveling. Oh the fun never ended. I think my favorite visited place throughout the entire game was the Arcane Sanctuary. It was like being in space, but better!

It's just a different kind of system. I'm actually surprised it's not your thing, since you like to rules-lawyer physics with Archi, but one of Grim's systems would probably be a better match. Or actually, Danse Macabre is relatively rules light.

DnD is relatively simple to grasp, so people can argue without picking apart serveral wikipedia articles and then searching for commonality...you can just search a feat and bam.

However, if you are looking to be clever with something, you have to do a massive amount of searching.

So its kinda like Hegemony...A good idea is stolen and copied, and then is standard.

But unlike Hegemony there is an inexaustable supply of people coming up with ways to beat the game, so your chances of finding anything special are low, verging on non-existant.

Ergo, it is simply a case of memorising and applying...No cleverness required.

End of Nations looks alot like Red Alert 3....

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Well, since the recent merging of the Tavern with it's sub-forums. I now assume normal roleplays are to take place here as well. I've been meaning to propose an idea that could liven up the Tavern a bit. There could be roleplays made that are between 2-3 people at most, no GMs, just role plays, and you may use this thread or a new one to ask for a partner/discuss setting before starting up the role play. This way, multiple role-plays could be going on at once, with lower "players" involved per, which is usually best for a Roleplay.

This system of only having 2 people, MAYBE 3 tops allows for us tavernites to have partners that would want to participate in a similar area of fantasy. For example, if there are 2 ppl who dislike magic, but like the medieval setting, they could start up something. Not only does it involve both of them, but it also involves the rest of the Tavern, and any visitors by allowing them to read what both participants are coming up with.

It's just an idea, and not a well explained one yet either. I'm just brainstorming atm. But it also deals with the whole issue that Icu mentioned above. If a role play gets like that between just 2 people, they'll lose interest in maintaining the roleplay, and fast. I've seen it happen. So the roleplay would die fast, and they could go off in search of another writing partner if they don't like each other's style of "play".

At the same time though, less people in a particular roleplay will steer the participants away from that kind of behavior as well. At least I hope it would.

Well, from my experience 2 people makes for a somewhat boring game, as you only tend to end up with a single linear plot to participate in, when with a larger number of players you end up with a handfull of plots that the various characters get involved in and can have conflict over, though one plot does end up taking the role of the central storyline (I tend to manage to hijack the plot by being the only one who has a long running plan for my plots).

Archi: on the two game systems definately Star Control, no major preference on the focus of such a game.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Never played Red Alert 3. Hmmm.

Edit: Oh. Not really. I don't see too many simillarieties.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Dnd has "arbitrary" limitations for game balance. Chances are, if you wanted a character that surpassed those limitations, it can probably be built.

It's too slow and tedious, same reason I don't enjoy chess or any other board game. In DnD you can take an hour to do the same stuff you could do in 10 minutes in Dungeoneering, and no, that's not due to overpowering but rather common sense and good modding outranking that little piece of unnecessary realism.

My mind is running on constant overclock, idleness and repetition is torture, I need constant stimuli.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

>.< Okay, I'm busy working on a character sheet for a game that I'll soon run. It's hard as hell since I don't like the Pathfinder format or any other format I've looked at.

Also, if anyone has any ideas regarding outlines/maps/anything RP related, please feel free to say something/help me

It's too slow and tedious, same reason I don't enjoy chess or any other board game. In DnD you can take an hour to do the same stuff you could do in 10 minutes in Dungeoneering, and no, that's not due to overpowering but rather common sense and good modding outranking that little piece of unnecessary realism.

My mind is running on constant overclock, idleness and repetition is torture, I need constant stimuli.

I'm becoming increasingly certain that you have never actually played an rpg with an open rules system (for instance dungeoneering was basically whatever the [bleep] the mod felt like doing) which generally have this because it is [bleep]ing irritating/draining to adjudicate every little god damned thing because someone doesn't like their specific idea of fun (where they will eschew mechanic that give moderate realism and then debate for [bleep]ing hours how specific examples of how realism in physics that would benefit them greatly should be allowed) to be slightly interrupted. Hell, if I recall correctly you haven't even read through a single game book, and would far rather complain about it. We understand your point, no one is forcing you to play; if you want anyone to run a dungeoneering esque game run it yourself (with a concept you can get your player base involved with, not everyone likes star gate) .

Lei, if you want to run something on irc, I advise using google docs to show maps, or maptools. If you're using a pre existing system (which I strongly recommend) I would advise reading through the one shot adventures they have out for free, to see how the game is paced/played.

LNYvk.png

Wow, that took me like 10 attempts to read because I'm so tired my eyes were going everywhere at once.

Yes, I have tried a normal "free" RPG, but in games I prefer not to be both the player and the game engine. Deciding results should not be up to each individual player in my opinion.

No, I have never read a DnD manual because why the flying [bleep] would I? I find DnD to be too slow-moving to be worth playing and the sheer amount of rules you find there are just ridiculous outside of a videogame (because there you don't have to think of them). Sometimes limitation is a good thing, but when it is something such as max number of steps it's just horrible.

I have tried to run a game myself, BC-304, and it seemed to be going well... for the entire one session where someone showed up...

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Wow, that took me like 10 attempts to read because I'm so tired my eyes were going everywhere at once.

Yes, I have tried a normal "free" RPG, but in games I prefer not to be both the player and the game engine. Deciding results should not be up to each individual player in my opinion.

No, I have never read a DnD manual because why the flying [bleep] would I? I find DnD to be too slow-moving to be worth playing and the sheer amount of rules you find there are just ridiculous outside of a videogame (because there you don't have to think of them). Sometimes limitation is a good thing, but when it is something such as max number of steps it's just horrible.

I have tried to run a game myself, BC-304, and it seemed to be going well... for the entire one session where someone showed up...

So you haven't read something and know little to nothing about it, but you feel certain that it is always very slow moving and know, not just suspect but know that it has a [cabbage] tonne of rules which definitely cannot be learnt and or sidelined, nope definitely not a possibility. And then we get to the point that DND IS NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE THE BASELINE, GENERIC GAME. It is in 3.X form very good at doing vancian style fantasy. It is not, however that good at doing other styles of fantasy and magic, or hell even social combat is handled in better ways in quite a few systems. While I agree that PF/3.X can be a bit clunky (especially in combat), they should not be taken as a baseline for all PnP rpgs, or hell even most. That's part of the reason why I'm trying to start up the shifting GM/system one shots by the way, to show different ways to handle rpgs (many of which are better, in my opinion to how PF/3.X handles it).

LNYvk.png

There's also that... too much lingo that's not worth [cabbage].

But yes, I know it's slow because I even find some videogames too slow for my taste, and DnD is unarguably a board game and it requires you to wait for everyone to take a turn.

I may like thinking when I play, but I value a fast pace and simple gameplay more. Unless of course it's played by timescale such as Hegemony is.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I'd like to try an alternate RPG system sometime.

I keep hearing good things about Dark Heresy and stuff, and Don't Rest Your Head, maybe we could give that a try at some point?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;