The Back Room

stevepole

Biology is the best. :thumbup:

My teacher was unbelievably awesome for Biology last year.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Res: Ahn.... I can teach you sigfigs if ya need any help. I'm pretty good at math (sadly). Good thing is that when doing %moles, everything has a sigfig of five.

Err what no. From my understanding of sigfigs, molar calculations would be done to however many decimal places are in the measurement of the chemical.

a70c7.png

Beware Beware, of the dangers of SigFigs

For while all may seem fairer,

They shall certainly not make you jig

Due to their cascading error.

(In not rhyming form: Beware, the fact that sig figs reduce precision which can commonly cause issues if you apply them before getting the final answer, never use Sig fig'ed answers to calculate further answers as it is easy to mess up.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

My current Chemistry teacher is making us use Sigfigs for everthing, molar mass and %moles. Infact, if the answer isn't the way she wants it, and I don't show my work, IT ALL WRONG. And whats worse is that I don't have a scientific calculator. So I'm pretty much doing everything the long way.

You can get scientific calculators for between $10-20 pretty much anywhere, and they last a long time.

$50-100 where I live. For TI-84s at least, which are required by several classes.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

You can get scientific calculators for between $10-20 pretty much anywhere, and they last a long time.

$50-100 where I live. For TI-84s at least, which are required by several classes.

Are we talking about scientific or graphing calculators? If it's the latter, I never see them for less than $140 :sad:

We normally have to present our final answer is sigfigs, and that is normally given to us within the question "Leave your answer at two significant figures", or sometimes one. But you do not change every answer into it, as that messes up your calculations and normally leads you to being wrong.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Aye...We use the full number, occassionally truncated depending on the level of accuracy we want to achieve(Personally I find 3 decimal places to be sufficent 99% of the time), right up until the end, where you modify it into whatever they want it as.

What I used to love in classes was when people got their phones out and claimed that that was the only place they had a calculator...Just thinking that if you wanted a graphing calculator you could pull out a laptop :thumbsup:

(Personally though, bring back log books...Sure they take longer, but if you are using a calculator then you aren't really doing maths...)

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Y'know.. When your arm starts hurting like you broke it again after playing for a few hours. .That tells you you need to stop playing.. God damn my arm hurts.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

That moment when I find moles annoyingly painstaking to understand and I have no idea what SigFigs are but I have a firm grasp of quantum mechanics.

Two different sciences :razz:

Biology!

Yes and no, a mole is the relative molecular count in a mixed substance, quantum mechanics is about the 12 mass particles and the 4 energy particles. They belong in the same category, however the use of one is more suitable elsewhere.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

But a mole is a physics derived term even though it is only used in chemistry.

I don't think so. I'm in calc-based physics II right now, and half the stuff we're going over is thermodynamics with frequent use of the gas constant and number of moles involved. So while moles is used heavily in chemistry, it also applies well in certain types of physics.

a70c7.png

Pathfinder = A game

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

But a mole is a physics derived term even though it is only used in chemistry.

Actually, Science is a derived term of Mathamatics...and Mathamatics is a derived term of English...And English is a derived term of History...and History is a derived term from Geography...And Geography is a derived term of Science.

Everything is interconnected because all of the words are abstract concepts. aka- In nature electricty doesn't work as a physics based science, it works as electricity, following the laws that govern it, which we interpret into scientific laws, under the faculty of Physics.

I would also remind you that Science, as a whole, explains why stuff works.

Chemistry is mostly input and output...You mix random chemicals, you get random chemicals, you define the chemicals, then you mass produce the chemicals you need, from the chemicals you have.

Physics is mostly watching and calculating...Stars, planet trajectories, ect, ect, ect. Its outputs tend to be refining something else, for example the correct trajectory of a rocket.

Biology is like chemistry, though takes far longer and nature does the mixing itself.

So, naturally physics overlaps into both other concepts, while biology and chemistry only really fed into physics, they don't do much else.

Was aimed at the chemistry versus physics thing that seemed to be going on.

:sad:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.