The Back Room

stevepole

Ack. Retech was already suggesting classes to limit characters to specific schools of magic, it seemed like you guys were complaining about the freedom. Mine even allows for freedom outside classes, it just changes how you start.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I dislike it, its too anime.

Life magic, what the [bleep] is that?

Earthsea magic would better, the mod could write down a language in word and gradually reveal it to certain players who could use it in combat and stuff.

Basically, their is magic language but in that language whatever you say is ture so if you say I am a bird you will be a bird or if you say that this person will be reborn.

The mod could hold back on words like die but allow words like bird or worm or pain. The magic however couldn't be permenant so shapeshifting someone into a bird would mean they missed some turns but they'd be fine.

And it could have a delay so someone can reply I am not a bird in the language however, people must learn a persons name to have power over them though as people usually use nicknames.

But you could say things like

Tree falls

Fire explodes

Mud sinks

The power of an effect would be based on the power of the character so all magic is either grouped into air, earth, aether or another system.

[Falador tavern]

Edel, that was an example of the concept. Almost every magic is based off of the existence and manipulation of energy possessed by the magic user. I can't remember, but does magic in Earthsea not partly base it's strength on some trait of the user?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

You can't really define something as "Too anime"

I assume life magic would be healing, which features in pretty much every RPG out there, including western RPGs.

The language idea just sounds kind of annoying. It means I need to have the entire thing saved and memorised, then spend 10 minutes per post working out what I want to say and how to say it.

2Xeo5.png

nex, i like reading. but you idea is t complicated. even if it is just using magic makes things like using trees to strangle people all that harder, and your suceptible to magic if you use it, dioesnt mean its SIMPLE.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Magic on Earthsea is primarily verbal. Everything has a true name in the Old Speech, the language of the dragons. One who knows the true name of an object has power over it. A person also has a true name; for safety's sake, he or she will only reveal it to those he or she trusts implicitly. A "use" name, which has no magical property, suffices for everyday purposes. For example, the wizard whose true name is Ged is known by the use name Sparrowhawk.

One vital aspect of magic is that it is impossible for humans to lie in the old language, so that magic works by forcing the universe to conform to the words spoken by the magician. For example, to say "I am an eagle" in the old language means that the speaker becomes an eagle, so that the statement is no longer false. The consequences of this are dealt with in the most recent Earthsea novel, The Other Wind.

So basically you will learn the names of things over time and yes its slightly confusing, yes its hard but trust me it'll be fun. Confusion is sometimes fun.

The Mod can make up new words and the players will have to write down or remember those words (the words are sent by PM sometimes)

[Falador tavern]

i agree. all this talk about balancing it in crazy assed ways makes my head hurt.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Okay, I don't really understand Nex's post at all. Basically, I was saying that you would learn different kinds of magic over time, rather than just learn it in one generic blob. For example, maybe one kind of magic would be weaving the arcane energy in the enviroment, allowing zero stamina drain and unlimited spam uses, but it would be weaker. By comparison, there might be another kind of way of using magic where you would take control of the energy directly and force it around, making you quickly tired, but its blasts would be stronger.

That way, going to learn from a teacher wouldn't be just getting a lump sum of exp. I will be making an opening post, that if we're going with Rocco's idea, can edit into Archi's opening post. :thumbup:

^

Basically fixing the issues of the old Dungeoneering. Extremely powerful spells being spammed, even higher expectations for the spells, and magic being the only way to go.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

You can't really define something as "Too anime"

I assume life magic would be healing, which features in pretty much every RPG out there, including western RPGs.

The language idea just sounds kind of annoying. It means I need to have the entire thing saved and memorised, then spend 10 minutes per post working out what I want to say and how to say it.

Glore Vyrden directly translates to life magic in a language of the series, I can't remember which. It doesn't mean a kind of magic, it refers to innate magic and magic potential. It's like mana, but for non-magic-users it's essentially adrenaline, that one-second boost at a critical time that might allow you to go beyond the capabilities of a human that isn't under your control.

I don't like the Earthsea system.

I still like my idea, but I wasn't thinking of using it for a D'neering remake.

I think Dungeoneering was fine as it was, there was no reason not to use magic because it was so much funner and more versatile.

I think the necessary question is, why does mundane combat need to be a relevant part of it save for the sake of roleplaying?

EDIT: The very balance for powerful magic in D'neering was high expectations. We were never too powerful because we were never too smart.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

because we want to actualy do somthing that doesnt include jsut saying a word and getting rid of entire demonic armies. i would prefer to slash them and use mutliple magical words to rip the very inards out of THEIR SOULS. its more fun.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Could we set this in a victorian like setting but with magic, it would be so fun to defend a small village from a werewolf and such and it would allow guns which are so cool.

And could we do a magic system in which we must sacrificie or do something in order to gain points but these points deplete every turn so you need to magic after slaughtering a goat or something.

[Falador tavern]

i prefered it when we screwed up in a world where magic was commenplace, and usually not feared. in victorian or further, magic is shuned, making it harder for us to actually.. you know.. LIVE?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Welcome to the remake of Dungeoneering! :lol:

The setting of the world is a medieval-fantasy kinda time period. This means all your favorite killing devices like the axe, mace, sword, bow, quarterstaff, and others are in style! Here's a nice little information thingy to fill out to help me out:

Username:

Character name:

Description (it's actually really helpful to choose a distinctive trait!):

History (please remember that you are starting in a recently destroyed farming community, sooooo yah):

Unique quality (see below):

Now everyone usually has something special about them. Many of the great wizards and sorcerers of our time had a talent for controlling the elements, which usually led to a quick rise to power. These traits won't be hugely determative and after the first few levels, you'll practically forget about them, but it gives you a start.

[insert basic element here] talent - Gives extremely basic ability to use said element. (Spark a fire, create some water, etc) This might cause a teacher to go "ZOMG" and encourages them to take you on as a student in that particular field. It is quite possible to learn magic and find a teacher without this, but it is generally harder.

Or

Choose a combat related skill to start with 1.0 levels in (Swordsmanship, Archery, Combat Medic, etc)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I think it would be the perfect measure for magic, people would be able to have fun sword and gun fights and it would stop magic being an easy way to get out of bad situations.

I fall of a cliff.

Magic

I'm underwater in a metal box slowly filling with water

Magic!

I'm hungry

Magic!!

I want something new

Magic!!!

I want to hurt someone

Magic!!!!

I might be arrested

Magic!!!!!

You cling on to some branches or break your legs but survive.

Macgyverism.

You kill a goat.

You get the thing manually and quest manually.

You shoot them or cut them.

You run.

See, theirs an alternative to magic.

Another factor I'd like to see was returning back to the origional falador library roll to dodge idea, how about the mod actually plays an evil overlord who makes people travel through fiendishly booby trapped castles to gain something.

Victorian times would be a great time to explore magic, their would be more villages and a lot more population, we could have guns and axes and swords, people would react differently to magic though, you'd always be by default the best human fighters so its not like puny mortals could do anything and its more fun to destroy built up things than fields, grasslands and ancient things. But yeh, people could always greet you as a helpful wizard because thats what most people assume all wizards are but than you could throw their charred body on the floor making it collapse into ashes and than loot the village. Also trade and stuff would be easier.

We could always do a victorian world where people still have castles and major warfare and actually have fights between countrys, we could set it on a world where we are one person and sometimes there are large battles between warring countrys.

[Falador tavern]

i guess ill be the combat medic then, or the healing mage? id prefer not to go beserk omgsers like last time... though necromancy is something i'd like..

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Also, Retech, I think that the system is kind of flawed in that everyone seems to be incompetant. You saw it as well, right? I mean, the d20 system is kind of harsh, so maybe you should make the fail boundry just a tad lower?

I considered it before, but decided not to. It's up to you, now.

2Xeo5.png

Username: earthsage

name: earth

History: after dealing with most of the daily blisters, sprains, and breaks on the farm, earth knew his way around a medical kit.

Skill: 1.0 Combat medic. (or necromancy. i may chose that if we dont need a medic)

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Character name: Theros Pherae

Description: Short teenager with blonde mullet hair. Has a scar on his chest shaped like an X.

History: He was your non-typical farm kid - he did all his farm chores, but in whatever free time he could get, he was learning how to jump up and off walls. His parents thought this a little odd, and scolded him for it. They were rather shocked when he managed to jump up to the hay loft, and immediately ordered him to stop. However, they aren't exactly around to scold him about it any more, so he does it anyways.

Unique quality: Walljump

a70c7.png

wall jump.. is.. useless.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]