The Back Room

stevepole

I would've said that since the eye's infected, the simplest solution is to remove the source of the infection. And then give the cat an eyepatch; maybe remove a paw so you can give it a pegleg.

Gosh, I'm a horrible morbid person. Or maybe that's just the dentist's numbing stuff talking.

a70c7.png

I need to catch the neighbours cat while I'm still feeling impulsive.

And who's ever played travian, that would be fun together.

[Falador tavern]

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a remake of the original Dungeoneering. The world would be generic fantasy, with adventurers and magicians as comparatively common things. Everyone would merely be a farm-boy/girl who had travelled from their farms to the city after their homes were destroyed by a group of marauding goblins.

It's really just a rough sketch of an idea right now, but I figured out that in the last Dungeoneering, when everyone become powerful mages with the snap of a finger, it didn't allow anyone to diversify. So my plan is to make magic weaker, so that you could be an archer or a person who runs around and whacks things.

All the human players will be linked by the fact that all of their houses were destroyed by the goblins and that they lived relatively near each other. Aside from the usual dungeon crawl, there would be things in the city happening, like fires and crime.

Thoughts?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I was thinking that magic is more of something to be trained in than a natural gift. Reading arcane tomes and stuff. Doesn't mean you'll have to actually spend actions reading, but ya know, you wouldn't magically figure out how to incinerate a building in most instances.

It might even be easier to gain street smarts. For example, climbing up the side of the wall compared to flying on a magical cloud or something.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I think everything needs to be improved, not magic getting weaker.

Though with melee I bet you were easily able to just slice someone in half if you were high level. Plus magic backfired and failed a lot.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

I was thinking that the super effects of magic needed to be toned down, but perhaps it could be made more consistent as well. I will be taking steps to limit the spamming of magic though. Maybe you could get tired or something.

The reason magic had to fail a lot was because everyone was trying a lot of crazy stuff. :P

Indeed. I think it could also do with a slightly more structured system, so that training actually does something. I also think that the players should be kept together more, even if it does mean a small amount of railroading, it's better than everyone being miles away from anywhere.

2Xeo5.png

I like being solo sometimes though :(.

How about if magic makes you really tired if you exert it?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Well the city isn't that big. Considering that all the characters will begin poor, they'll basically be forced into one area by societal constraints.

Magic will sap stamina, yes. I am planning different schools of magic and stuff, so that they have advantages and disadvantages.

Keep making suggestions and discussion please. Helps shape the game. :thumbup:

Illusion and sword.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I will have to start figuring out a magic system before we begin. I expect that people will only be able to concentrate on one school of magic (two possibly), but that things will be more versatile. The rarer and more exotic magic types will either be forbidden (meaning you'd have to do some searching) or have few teachers (probaly charging more, or be...nuttier)

Of course, keep in mind you're poor peasants that might not be able to afford a half-decent weapon, so having lots of schools of magic would be incredibly expensive for you. Perhaps you'd have to learn with a crazy nutjob who tried one too many magical tricks, rather than a school of magic.

Heh lightning and unarmed (or lightning and swordsmanship [or air and swordsmanship]). So how are you going to do the schools of magic retech? D&D style? Elemental style? Also is there going to be an option of divine power?

LNYvk.png

what about changing the setting to real life, everyones middle aged and has a job but they choose to go on an adventure, there would be drug dealer and murderers and police it would overall be a lot of fun however I also like the idea of a victorian version so that we can play around with the realism a bit. the idea of having consistent police would be great, better than random brain eating.

[Falador tavern]

I like a warhammer 40k setting to an all white integrated utopia setting. It would allow us to eradicate magic but giving an alternative.

I didn't mean gritty pointless life I meant something more like GTA.

[Falador tavern]

Quick ask for help, on Pokémon, what can actually beat a aerodactyl?

On silver elite 4, lance has one, and he one shotted every pokemon in my team with it... I was like O_O

It was only lvl 46.

My Pokéteam

Jynx Lvl 47

Lugia Lvl 43

Gyarados Lvl 41

Skarmory Lvl 33

Typhlosion Lvl 45

Weepingbell Lvl 40

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Magic was what made Dungeoneering fun. Everything was so amazingly powerful and over-the-top by normal standards, and yet we never really felt like gods because there was danger everywhere. Grim incinerated an army, while Icu kept getting killed though he was even more powerful and fairly intelligent.

MAJOR IDEA: Lau'knaught Armour of Unbelief!

Works like this: The mundane is, by nature, anathema to magic. The less a person uses magic, the less vulnerable they are to it, which means that by extension greater magical strength ends in greater weakness to magic. Greater disparity between the normal and paranormal ends in nature and magic warring against each other, which means that pure magical strength makes elemental manipulation more difficult.

Sounds confusing, but it works so well if you can understand.

Definition of magical strength would work kinda like this:

(from the Wikipedia article on the Night Angel Trilogy)

"A Talented individual must have three different components to be able to express their Talent outwardly. The first is their Glore Vyrden, or life magic. This is the reserve that stores the power that can be directed as the user wishes. The second component is the ability to refill one's glore vyrden when it's empty - if one doesn't possess it, then they can use magic only once or twice during their whole lives. A person with such an ability usually replenishes their glore vyrden by absorbing sunlight or light from other sources. The final component is a conduit allowing the use of one's Glore Vyrden however they desire. This conduit can be small or blocked, limiting the maximum amount of magic one can use at a single time."

Also, for Holy/God-based magics:

"The vir is used by Meisters, Vürdmeisters and the Ursuul family. Vir users are also referred to as wytches, though this term insults them. When the people of Khalidor pray to Khali, their goddess, she takes a small portion of their glore vyrden and siphons it into her "reservoir" of magic; she then returns however much she desires back to them as vir. Like the Talent, it can act as an extension of the physical being. The difference between vir and Talent is that the vir is living, and has a measure of sentience, mostly because it is part of Khali. Many Meisters and Vürdmeisters who find themselves in harm's way will be protected by it unintentionally. It is described as a magical parasite. It opens new channels in the user's Talent, so initially a vir user will have stronger Talent, but the vir eventually consumes all the user's Talent permanently."

Such a system would allow different classes of magic-users as suggested already. Some examples of starting classes:

Unnatural magi and magae, would control summoning, necromancy, and magic similar to that encompassed by "Void Magic" in Dungeoneering as well as various other forms. They would have high reserves of magical strength, the capability to replenish magic by directly tapping sources of magic (which may or may not be present in particular environments) and an open conduit for magic.

Natural, or Elemental magi and magae control more ordinary aspects of their environment as geomancers, pyromancers, etc. They would have less raw magical strength than the Unnatural mages, draw their magic from living things or forces of nature (great potential for evil there, but NPC Naturals would be generally good and draw from willing and usually inanimate forces), and would also have an open conduit.

The Soulless would be extraordinarily rare among NPCs, but a starting choice for players. They would have no reserves, no capability to absorb energy, wide conduits capable of connecting with other individuals, and they would be almost completely immune to magic because of the ability to channel the energy of those using their conduits.

I have quite a few more classes, but I'd rather not write them down right now. Thoughts?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Icu, aerodactyl is one of the best physical sweepers out there, even if it's an NPC pokemon.

Use something with high defense and bullet punch, as well as steel type. 80 base attack priority move should be able to wreck it.

2Xeo5.png

Training Skarmory I guess.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

YOU AREN"T PAYING ATTENTION TO MY EPIC IDEA! YOU MUST READ IT AND STOP RUINING MY THOUGHT PROCESS WITH POKEMON DISCUSSION!

... Please?

No, really. I think it's cool. I MUST HAVE A REACTION! IT IS ESSENTIAL TO MY MENTAL DEVELOPMENT AS AN RP MOD!

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Magic may have been a bit too powerful in dungeoneering (as evidenced by the fact that I was planning to trap a minor deity of fire once the war was over [if anyone wants to know how I would be more than willing to tell them])

LNYvk.png

GAAAAAH!

You folks drive me mad, reading won't kill you. You've read more than I posted just now in the past.

Please, at least read the bottom 3 3-line paragraphs about classes.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

They seem interesting but kinda take away a bit of the free form feel of dungeoneering in my opinion. (Like paul specializing in both necro and fire magic [i'm not sure if that would work in this situation])

LNYvk.png