Anyone encounter this before?

Blyaunte

So I log in to day and I get this message:

mute.png

Which is odd because there was nothing in my original screen to indicate any message to me about any infraction of the rules and a subsequent muting.

So I checked my account status:

noidea.png

There's no message from Jagex, no indication of what rule I've broken, and apparently no way to appeal it either.

WTF just happened here?

:blink:

nyuseg.png

Looks like you got muted by a player moderator. Those mutes last 2 days. From what I understand, the evidence isn't shown until it passes through Jagex or something.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Looks like you got muted by a player moderator. Those mutes last 2 days. From what I understand, the evidence isn't shown until it passes through Jagex or something.

Lovely -- so I've no way of knowing what I've done and no way to appeal it until well after the mute has been lifted. :rolleyes:

Gotta love Jagex's customer service ... <_<

nyuseg.png

Actually, I believe that's what happens when you trigger the automatic mute system, or whatever it's called... OR a player moderator muted you. Either way, sorry. :(

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Yes it gets triggered when you say certain phrases ingame. I'm trying to find something about it on RSOF at the moment.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

There is a lot of confusion surronding this because there are two systems that seem to be able to give you that message, and Jagex will admit literally nothing about the second one, so trying to sort out which is which is a lot of fun.

The first is what Tripsis said. Player moderator mutes are applied for 48 hours, and last either until they expire, or until the mute is reviewed by Jagex (most of the time, they are checked probably within 4-6 hours tops, unless there is a backlog which has resulted in them being checked after they expire on a few occasions). As soon as they are reviewed the player mods mute is removed. If the reviewing Jmod deems it appropriate, they may replace it with a formal offence which will include evidence (if applicable), an appeal option, and either a mute or ban of duration determined by the offence and the players history (I believe a 3 day of either is the normal for a first offence, at least ones that fall into ____ major, though in all honesty I have never heard of anyone getting the minor version of any offence that I can remember). If the reviewing Jmod feels no offence needs to be added, then the mute simply vanishes never to be heard from again.

The seconds system is the new and improved spam filter, which had an automated mute system added to it a few months back to combat spam bots (while spam bots still exist, it has forced them to be so obscure or roundabout in their messages as to make them almost incomprehensible). The system would seem to be triggered based solely on particular word combinations. There was an incident a while ago where players would trick other players into saying the name of a gold selling site which would get them instantly muted.

Now here is where it gets tricky. What is not known, and Jagex refuses to comment on even with their own moderator teams, is how the mutes work. There are reports of people getting 24 hour evidence free mutes instead of 48 hour ones, though its possible that they didn't log in for a whole day after they got it and one day is what showed up. Best guess is that both systems use 48 hour mutes, with the key difference being that the spam filter isn't reviewed. Its mutes would seem to always last for the full duration, though its hard to know for sure because you have to try and figure out if the pmod reports are backlogged or not. I also suspect that that spam filter would have to be audited, so that even if the mutes are never lifted early, they are at least being checked to make sure the system is muting for what its supposed to be muting. Jagex also refuses to publish a list of what gets you muted by it, presumably to make it a bit harder for the spam bot peeps to know what is and isn't safe to say.

So at the end of the day, if that goes away and you get an actual offence, then it was a pmod. If it disappears early and you get nothing, it was a pmod. If it lasts the full 2 days, and you never hear anything about it again, then it was probably the spam filter, but it might have been a pmod.

Well -- as far as I know I did not say anything that would have tripped the spam filter in "public chat". I did mention our clan's forum address in our clan chat however. Does Jagex monitor clan chats too?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

I think they do and mentioning certain websites triggers the system. Ouch. :(

Can you still join the RSOF forums and post?

4K469.png

I think they do and mentioning websites triggers the system. Ouch. :(

Can you still join the RSOF forums and post?

Nope - I am banned there while my mute plays out ... <_<

I can read them so long as I don't log in.

nyuseg.png

The only websites that trigger it are well-known gold selling/farming sites and botting sites.

You could, although I don't encourage it, sit there and spam your clan site all day and as long as no one reported you you wouldn't get muted.

There are very strange combinations of words that'll trigger it, much like certain strings or combinations of letters were randomly censored when not considered a cuss word. E-mail/send Jagex a query.

09144a99bb.png

The only websites that trigger it are well-known gold selling/farming sites and botting sites.

You could, although I don't encourage it, sit there and spam your clan site all day and as long as no one reported you you wouldn't get muted.

There are very strange combinations of words that'll trigger it, much like certain strings or combinations of letters were randomly censored when not considered a cuss word. E-mail/send Jagex a query.

Thanks hun.

I'll bang around with it tomorrow. It's 3:00 AM here and I really need to go to bed. I'm also waiting to see what the actual offence was prior to playing the "we don't know who you are or what you want" email game with Jagex's customer service division ...

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

This is the exact same message I got once, and I remember I had not done anything to get muted. I emailed Jagex and they lifted the mute and apologized, apparently it was a mod that muted me and the message said that they had taken action against the moderator. Hopefully the same situation with you.

What I find strange is that, juding from the pic, this happened straight after logging in. Both P-Mod and the automatic mutes should work immediately and not on the next login?

You get muted before, but the message shows on login and if you try to talk. If you got muted but were not talking, you wouldn't notice.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

What I find strange is that, juding from the pic, this happened straight after logging in. Both P-Mod and the automatic mutes should work immediately and not on the next login?

You get muted before, but the message shows on login and if you try to talk. If you got muted but were not talking, you wouldn't notice.

Funny thing tho - I was talking all night the previous night, without any issues. It wasn't till I logged in yesterday morning that I was notified of the mute. :unsure:

nyuseg.png

I guess it's always possible you were muted during the night :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Happend to me once like that. evidence didnt come till a couple days later.

aparrently i triggered the fillter by asking my cousin what his phone number was :wall:

De_Toke.png
max.png
Quest cape since Jan. 30th, '08

Well, it's been several days and I've still received no indication of what the infraction was. I've got no messages from Jagex and there's nothing showing on my account in terms of any further infractions.

The mute effectively lasted about 18 hours -- it was supposedly a 2 day mute.

Still no idea what the heck it was all about ...

nyuseg.png

I've had this happen before... Twice.... Both times the mute got removed within a few hours. I suspect this one pmod to have muted me both times as he was nearby when I realized I could not longer chat and he was also nearby when a friend of mine got muted... Suspicious? <_< Hasn't happened for a long time though.