The "new" iPad

Zerker_Jane

I think the concept of tablets is pretty simple. Not everyone needs the power and size of laptops/desktops. I think it's fair to say the average consumer uses their computers mostly for simple tasks such as web browsing, music, email, etc. Tablets have made devices that focus on those sorts of tasks. I'd rather be sitting here in front of my TV right now watching the basketball game with a smaller device such as iPad then with my 15in MacBook Pro because all I'm doing is browsing random sites and messing around on Facebook and twitter. In no way am I even coming close to utilizing all the power of my laptop right now.

tFtfA.jpg

I think the concept of tablets is pretty simple. Not everyone needs the power and size of laptops/desktops. I think it's fair to say the average consumer uses their computers mostly for simple tasks such as web browsing, music, email, etc. Tablets have made devices that focus on those sorts of tasks. I'd rather be sitting here in front of my TV right now watching the basketball game with a smaller device such as iPad then with my 15in MacBook Pro because all I'm doing is browsing random sites and messing around on Facebook and twitter. In no way am I even coming close to utilizing all the power of my laptop right now.

You realize you can get laptops with more power than an iPad for less than $500, right? Nobody was comparing them to overpriced Macbooks.

But why not get a small laptop for fewer money then? Instead of a tablet...I just don't really see the big advantage of a Touchscreen over the versatility that a laptop offers with a real keyboard so you can use it both for simple tasks and normal work.

This is what mostly irks me about the iPad, more so than other apple products. Regardless if the iPad is better than other tablets or not...next to no one bought tablets before the iPad. Once apple comes out with it, it's the next big thing for some reason.

You realize you can get laptops with more power than an iPad for less than $500, right? Nobody was comparing them to overpriced Macbooks.

Yes, but I don't need another laptop because I don't even prefer using my own laptop for simple tasks because it's so over kill. Why do I need a powerful device when it isn't required? I'm getting the impression that some of you are much more concerned about the price of the device then the actual device itself. I can't control that.

tFtfA.jpg

But why not get a small laptop for fewer money then? Instead of a tablet...I just don't really see the big advantage of a Touchscreen over the versatility that a laptop offers with a real keyboard so you can use it both for simple tasks and normal work.

This is what mostly irks me about the iPad, more so than other apple products. Regardless if the iPad is better than other tablets or not...next to no one bought tablets before the iPad. Once apple comes out with it, it's the next big thing for some reason.

Yeah, there always netbooks but for the most part tablets are slowly taking over that market since they basically serve the same function but offer a better user experience by simplify everything. You want to log on? slide your finger, you want to check you email? touch here, use the internet? touch here. I don't think you can argue against how easy they've made everything.

Also I travel. When I'm traveling I'm most interested in checking emails, web browsing like checking my daily sites, maybe play a quick game or something to pass the time. Yeah I could do that with a full laptop but It's size is also an advantage because it's easy to toss it into my bag and now really have to worry about it being bulky, weight, massive power cords.

If it wasn't an Apple product I don't think so many people would have such an issue with it to be honest. There is just a stigma that some people have built around it that it's hard for some to see past it.

tFtfA.jpg

The only thing about it being Apple is, as with many things, you end up paying for the brand. I'm not saying that Apple doesn't usually put out a better product than others for the prices that they charge, that usually isn't the thing but people are just so hooked on the Apple brand for some reason. Personally, if I was to get a tablet I wouldn't get an Apple mainly for the fact that I've recently discovered some of the joys of modification among other things and from most of the things I've read, Apple products keep all parts, pieces, files, and chips locked up tighter than a chest full of 100 carat diamonds in Fort Knox...

I know this is an "Apple" thread, but I'm getting the feeling that a few posters here are generalizing that a Tablet = iPad, there are dozens of tablets on the market and just because an iPad is "overpriced/overkill etc." doesn't mean the entire definition of tablet falls under that.

I personally own an Hp TouchPad (dual booted with android+WebOS) that i've gotten for 99$ during the firesale. Don't get me wrong, I still would have spent the 300 dollars it is worth now. I have to say for some people (especially me as a college student) a tablet has great benefits over a laptop when it comes down to portability, battery life, and just-enough performance.

randomkcopyq.png

I'm not saying that Apple doesn't usually put out a better product than others for the prices that they charge

But they don't. People have the misconception that Apple products are somehow of a higher quality. They aren't.

Then change that to saying, they sometimes lead the field in development and are therefore given that misconception, from what I know nobody was going major with touch screen mp3 players, then the Ipod touch came along, as someone who watched computers for a while I can gauruntee you that nobody was going mainstream with just tablet devices no solid keyboard until after the Ipad was rushed out, most of this ends up coming along because Apple puts it out first so people think it is better, personally for 1500 dollars just for one of their basic laptops they can always go kiss my <3: in that category.

I'm not saying that Apple doesn't usually put out a better product than others for the prices that they charge

But they don't. People have the misconception that Apple products are somehow of a higher quality. They aren't.

Then change that to saying, they sometimes lead the field in development and are therefore given that misconception, from what I know nobody was going major with touch screen mp3 players, then the Ipod touch came along, as someone who watched computers for a while I can gauruntee you that nobody was going mainstream with just tablet devices no solid keyboard until after the Ipad was rushed out, most of this ends up coming along because Apple puts it out first so people think it is better, personally for 1500 dollars just for one of their basic laptops they can always go kiss my <3: in that category.

Again, you have this misconception that Apple pioneers this stuff, when in fact they just popularize it, and then convince people that "EVERYBODY NEEDS TO OWN A TABLET IT"S REVOLUTIONARY", etc. Once Apple decides to revive a market for a specific piece of technology, other companies quickly start making their own versions at lower prices and people buy them.

I'll admit, the only useful thing that Apple has done in a while is actually pretty good, but used for the wrong purpose. I'm glad we're moving away from standard 1080p screens and are moving into higher resolutions, but using the tablet as a way of introducing "Retina Displays" is stupid, gimmicky, and just a way to get iPad 3 sales to surpass the previous 2 models. That tech would be much better suited on a real computer that could actually utilize it.

Well, I'd say it's going to be hard for them to get new products popularized, now that Jobs is gone. They don't have the best products, but they're geniuses in marketing.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple Tablets: no physical keyboard and no Windows OS. I like my keyboards and I don't want to convert everything.

Rational reasoning behind, no way I'm buying an overpriced hipster Apple product.

Unless you're like me, and got one for free via a family member. kekekek.

In all reality, I've owned my Ipad for over a year now.

I listen to Pandora on it, watch Netflix and surf the inter-webs.

I have yet to update my OS on it.

It's a $500 toy that is not really capable of aiding the average person in their daily lives and tasks, nice to have, though.

I may be weird, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!

• 2 months later...

I got an iPad2 on release date and I have loved it ever since. I got it mostly for games and for writing stuff. I got a Bluetooth keyboard case for it and I never regretted it. I did not and will not upgrade to the "new" iPad for a single reason; I plan on buying a laptop.

I might be getting a Macbook Air in the future and I do no see the point in having a tablet and an MCA at the same time.

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have an a iPad and like it very much. I also like various apps for iOS. I am even trying to develop one. During the development process I found a page that provided relevant information about app development for iDevices with code snippets. I made good use of the code snippets (If you are interested: http://www.voip-sip-sdk.com/p_457-voip-iphone-integration-voip.html). In my opinion it is a good place to start if someone want to develop an own app for iOS.

• 1 month later...

You can say the exact same thing about any, and I mean ANY, product. The newer one will always be better, but it might not be much better. However, some people still need to break into the market, or upgrade a failing Ipad v1.

As for the relevant discussion on the previous pages....

The thing that I use my iPad the most for is taking to class to look at and take notes, read online textbooks, check my e-mail, and browse the internet. Sure, I could do all of these things on a laptop, but I'd rather not carry around a heavy machine in my backpack. It would take my x3 longer to send an email with my laptop during a class than it would be to use my iPad due to booting up, shutting down, and all of that fun jazz. Funny thing is, I bet all of you guys who are knocking tablets all have smartphones. A smartphone is the exact same thing as a tablet, and a computer can do everything a smartphone can do but better.

I have never seen the pre-iPad tablets, but I bet you that the iPad was a hell of a lot easier to use and user friendly than any of its competitors. The iPad is just what made people actually interested in tablets.

In regards to iPad, there's a "iPad mini" being released this December. Dunno if that's already been covered.

Already out here in the U.S. I spent quite a bit of time with ones in the store over the last few days and decided that I like it better than the full-size iPad. It's unbelievably light, comfortable to hold with one hand, and the screen doesn't seem too small. Needs a retina screen, though clearly they left that out for this initial release to get people to buy the second version.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought me the iPad mini. It is incredibly light, I have to say. The weight is the main reason why I bought it over a Nexus 7 or any other Android tab. Or the Retina iPad, for that matter.

I still can't write any long-term evaluation, since I've only had it for half a day by now, but I will comment on it soon enough.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 2 weeks later...

Double-post, as I want to bump it with my evaluation of the mini.

First things first, that thing is light as a feather! Absolutely everyone has mentioned that it doesn't weigh anything.

I am a bit disappointed in the low ppi of the screen by now, though. My phone, a Galaxy Nexus has a larger amount of pixels in a much smaller screen (163 ppi vs. 316 ppi, 1024x764 vs. 720x1280).

The backside collects boatloads of fingerprints... Mine is that black slate coloured.

I have noticed some lag sometimes, specially when writing.

iOS feels archaic after 2 months of using Android. Some gestures and options and such are much better thought of in stock Android. For example, notification bar has practically no meaning on iOS and I seriously miss the warning light I have on my phone if I have any new notifications. Also, multi-tasking is much more convenient in Android as well as the open apps management. Swipe to erase and swipe down to refresh came only lately and still aren't as widespread as they are on Android. I was like seriously dragging down on screen on some apps, waiting for that refresh before realizing, that there won't be one.

THAT said, iOS is home to some freaking awesome and wonderful games you can't get on Android. For example, Bastion, Rayman Jungle Run and Sword and Sworcery. They are freaking amazing. Oh, The Walking Dead also wasn't available on Android, methinks.

And Keynote is awesome. And iPad apps in general feel quite freaking good.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc