The whole low FPS thing...

@Dan3HitU

Just a few questions really and hopefully discussion on what's actually taking them so long (if it's still affecting people).

Has this been resolved yet?

If no, why not, are they prioritising this or not?

If yes, why is there still game updates when people are still struggling?

Now then...

Do you suffer from it? Is there actually a viable solution?

What actually caused this? Do Jagex actually know or are they fobbing people off?

==========

Finally, if it still exists:

If you was in charge of this game and kept getting reports saying your users where struggling to play the game, would you have had your team fix the issue by now?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can barely walk around in rs without moderate lag, so i dont really want to dg.

and since i mainly dg'd when i played, im currently waiting on guild wars 2. aww yeahh.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

i can barely walk around in rs without moderate lag, so i dont really want to dg.

and since i mainly dg'd when i played, im currently waiting on guild wars 2. aww yeahh.

I'm assuming the computer you use to play RS is obviously sufficient as you're awaiting GW2, so I'm also assuming its not just low-old-end computers that are troubled.

When did the issue start for you?

The whole FPS thing was caused by the last bot nuke, it caused some problems with the FPS, it'll be fixed when Optimus comes out, which should be soon...

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

Since the content team will be next to useless with helping to fix the fps issue, we still get updates while they're working on this.

The problem was caused by the previous bot nuke, apparently it was a trade off between reduced fps or bots, and they decided the FPS reduction was worth it.

FPS problems seem to vary with the set-up of computers, which is why people with a 10 year old computer might get the same performance as one bought new today.

Optimus is designed to fix both of these, read the latest Game engine Q&A, they went over pretty much all this stuff

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

The whole FPS thing was caused by the last bot nuke, it caused some problems with the FPS, it'll be fixed when Optimus comes out, which should be soon...

Optimus is the Transformers MMO right?

If you're saying it'll be fixed when that's released, surely they know and have already fixed the problem, therefore, why haven't they just implemented it into RS now?

I only really drop my fps if I have a youtube video up, but even then, no noticeable difference.

What we need to do is gather everyone's computer specs, and their framerate, just to see if there is a common cause, or if it's random.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Optimus is the Transformers MMO right?

If you're saying it'll be fixed when that's released, surely they know and have already fixed the problem, therefore, why haven't they just implemented it into RS now?

Optimus is what they're calling the next bot nuke, so that'll just be ready when its ready. Next few months I think?

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Since the content team will be next to useless with helping to fix the fps issue, we still get updates while they're working on this.

The problem was caused by the previous bot nuke, apparently it was a trade off between reduced fps or bots, and they decided the FPS reduction was worth it.

FPS problems seem to vary with the set-up of computers, which is why people with a 10 year old computer might get the same performance as one bought new today.

Optimus is designed to fix both of these, read the latest Game engine Q&A, they went over pretty much all this stuff

Have you got a link to this Game Engine Q+A?

Edit: I'm guessing this is it, right?

Have you got a link to this Game Engine Q+A?

Edit: I'm guessing this is it, right?

It seems to be, there's the original forum thread here: [qfc]254-255-171-63698141[/qfc]

All in all its an issue on Jagex' side and they're working on fixing as fast as possible. I do wish that maybe a month without game updates could speed it along, but it doesn't really work like that, the content team would just be sitting around making coffee for the Game engine guys :P

safersbanner.png

It seems to be, there's the original forum thread here: [qfc]254-255-171-63698141[/qfc]

All in all its an issue on Jagex' side and they're working on fixing as fast as possible. I do wish that maybe a month without game updates could speed it along, but it doesn't really work like that, the content team would just be sitting around making coffee for the Game engine guys :P

I'd rather they did that in all honesty lol.

In my opinion, that's basically a pointless answer, it's not anything near transparent, basically they could release Optimus next year, they never even said any time this year, they kept stating it was "close", Jagex did that with RS2 for quite some time...

Yeah the engine QA covered it pretty well.

The obfuscation of the first bot nuke caused the issues; they have over the past months been trying to weed out the worst offenders that cause FPS issues across the board, but at the same time keeping the cluster flutter doing it's job because the bot issue was far greater than the relatively small number facing FPS issues.

They have released a few patches that have tried to fix it and for a good 50% or so with FPS issues it has been improved or fixed by these, but the final solution that will/should fix it all is part of the Optimus botnuke 2 which is coming soon (FAQ said in one answer it was weeks rather than months time frame they think, so I'd assume 7 weeks max).

And as pointed out having a no update month to 'focus on it' wouldn't really achieve much since most game updates are pretty much 90-100% content team (who lack the skills to do the engine) while most of the engine team's time is spent on these issues anyway. Even if they did do a no update month it'd only free up a tiny amount of extra time for the engine team, whilst leaving the content, graphics, audio and translator teams sitting around doing nothing so it's not really worth it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

They have released a few patches that have tried to fix it and for a good 50% or so with FPS issues it has been improved or fixed by these, but the final solution that will/should fix it all is part of the Optimus botnuke 2 which is coming soon (FAQ said in one answer it was weeks rather than months time frame they think, so I'd assume 7 weeks max).

Let's see how close your estimate is, honestly, I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'm just going off the fact they said 'we are talking weeks rather than months' and most people I know, assuming the basic 4 week = 1 month rough guide, would only use weeks measurements for <2 months so 7 weeks comes from that.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm just going off the fact they said 'we are talking weeks rather than months' and most people I know, assuming the basic 4 week = 1 month rough guide, would only use weeks measurements for <2 months so 7 weeks comes from that.

Your estimate is probably about right, I mean, Jagex's busiest period is the summer holidays and I'm sure they'd want it fixed before those.

1zqr9t3.png

This kinda makes me think why mad may is so mad. If any other mod said that, I wouldn't care much, but it's Jacmob whose only job is getting rid of bots.

Also fits in with Sy_Accursed's prediction.

I've been putting up with FPS rates of around 10-15 ever since the bot nuke when I previously was averaging 30-40. I am unable to play large parts of RuneScape including boss monsters (and dungeoneering bosses) cause too many frame rate issues. During the Runespan event last night it dropped to a new low... 0 FPS.

We are told that Optiumus (bot nuke v2) will not only kill the bots off again but also fix the frame rate problems however all we know is that it's "soon". Let's just hope its not "soon" like the 00:00 timer bug on 8Realms

Devblog_soon.png

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Tbf 10-15 FPS is bearable even if not ideal, though of course any places where it then drops further are unplayable. Some people have machines that play at that kinda FPS regardless of issues from bot nuke v1.

The real issue is those stuck at sub 10 FPS.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

1zqr9t3.png

This kinda makes me think why mad may is so mad. If any other mod said that, I wouldn't care much, but it's Jacmob whose only job is getting rid of bots.

Also fits in with Sy_Accursed's prediction.

That's quite interesting, I sure hope it's at the start of May then, rather than the end... the sooner the better.

I do believe a Jmod agreed the bot nuke would be out before summer, but we'll see. My computer has a low fps, but not as low as some people, but also lag issues, in addition to crashing occasionally for no reason. Literally the game whitescreens (if on a browser) or disappears (on the official client).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Chances are jagex are waiting to release the bot nuke on the same day as Diablo 3 release - so that then they have a more "legitimate" reason to have all this craaaaaazy madness they did last bot nuke. That's what I'd like to believe anyway.

They had the crazy bonus weekends around Skyrim release date.

Luck be a Lady

I don't hold grudges first of all, but Jacmob I don't support.

Firewall companies hire the best hackers to find holes in their software to protect users, same with anti-virus companies to protect against viruses, they will hire people who have developed viruses, the same with espionage and so many other trades.

So would hiring an infamous bot-developer be a good idea to prevent against bots? in principle yes.

I have to say however, he has his critics, but thus far what's been done, nothing.. since the bot nuke problems have gotten worse, and he seems to spend ALL of his time in game, does the man not work? honestly if one of my employees spent all his time trying to rub e-fame off castle wars and other youtube famous players.. I would say do your job, I'm not paying you to do this, is he in-charge of the anti e-fame systems or what.

I'm sure all the haters out there once this optimus patch rolls out, will be kissing his shoes saying "Oh you're my favourite Jacmob, I never doubted you, I'm your biggest fan".

My FPS is completely normal, what I do get is when a new animation plays, it freezes me for a few seconds, so as it stands I can't farm the Fight Kiln for ~6M GP an hour because the first Jad, lvl-400 etc I freeze and if I have the wrong prayer especially jad, it's game-over.

The same with DG, when I start a floor.. I'm frozen for a good 5 seconds, and by time the loot appears it's gone people have started, I am at a very high-end gaming spec, the entire dg after that is fine (apart from seekers, soulgazers and dragons spawning I freeze on those too).

It's completely frustrating, fix your game engine because a lot of the game is unplayable.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

The whole optimus will fix fps issuse really seem like a typical jagex response. Though im sure they are making the effort to improve fps with the update it just seems overly optimist from a players position considering their track record.

Best we can hope for is its improved slightly. It seems unlikely fps will return to normal after that update. It would still be a priority to disable bots > Players fps. Proof by fact it already is that way around right now.

Problem for players is the pro con benefits for jagex with the bot nuke update and the fact bots are returning. Depends on how well the next bot nuke is successful or not. It seems improbable that frame rates can get much worse besides not allowing more players to even log on successfully. If that happens.. Depends how many people and how successful the nuke is.. If they allowed the update to be permanent.

If fps issue is actually resolved that just seems like a huge unexpected bonus. The rest seems PR to me with a touch of truth that they are atleast /trying/ to resolve it. Getting updates out and continuing of the game, sweeping all the issues under the carpet, is what is mostly likely to occur imo.

Eventually over time hopefully the guy working on the issue can improve the situation but I doubt fps go back to normal completely. (Which is fine enough if its say from 0 fps upto maybe 25 atleast. Better than 0..)

I have to say however, he has his critics, but thus far what's been done, nothing.. since the bot nuke problems have gotten worse, and he seems to spend ALL of his time in game, does the man not work? honestly if one of my employees spent all his time trying to rub e-fame off castle wars and other youtube famous players.. I would say do your job, I'm not paying you to do this, is he in-charge of the anti e-fame systems or what.

A lot has been done, it's not just ready yet for release so you don't see it.

You are right, he seems to spend all of his time in game. Actually it's just his lunch breaks and after the workday. You seem to think of him as a robot, he is not, he is a human too. He does not work 24/7. Give him a break and don't blame all of runescape's problems on a junior game engine developer.