The whole low FPS thing...

@Dan3HitU

No fps loss, because I don't play RS on a toaster from 2003

Well lucky you. But many people are experiencing FPS issues on very high end specification machines. What specs do you have?

As far am I'm aware the issues are not due to lack of RAM or Graphics card power but instead related to specific brands of hardware configurations.

In short. gtfo.

I think I'd be right to assume you're having FPS issues yourself, care to list your 'very high end' hardware configuration?

I personally do not have a "very high end" hardware configuration but I know people that do. I myself am running with a Geforce GT 240M 1GB dedicated and 4 GB RAM on the laptop. I am experiencing a drop of FPS from ~40 FPS down to less than 10 since the bot nuke.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No fps loss, because I don't play RS on a toaster from 2003

Well lucky you. But many people are experiencing FPS issues on very high end specification machines. What specs do you have?

As far am I'm aware the issues are not due to lack of RAM or Graphics card power but instead related to specific brands of hardware configurations.

In short. gtfo.

I think I'd be right to assume you're having FPS issues yourself, care to list your 'very high end' hardware configuration?

I personally do not have a "very high end" hardware configuration but I know people that do. I myself am running with a Geforce GT 240M 1GB dedicated and 4 GB RAM on the laptop. I am experiencing a drop of FPS from ~40 FPS down to less than 10 since the bot nuke.

Partial specs are useless, GPU is at least a little useful but telling me how much RAM you have instead of some other more meaningful metric gives me an idea of what level of tech-literacy I'd be dealing with here

A money pouch would be cool. So would a remote price checker. But honestly I'm thinking an insta-Jcoins-market. LOW ON PRAYER AND DONT LIKE XP WASTE?! BUY AN ULTRA PRAYER RESTORE POTION INSTANTLY FOR JUST 75 CENTS! STAY AT BANDOS ALL DAY/AS LONG YOU HAVE MONEY!

The level is 'tech-literacy' is irrelevant, seeing as it is a 100% confirmed fact that the FPS issues stemming from the bot nuke have no correlation to low or high spec systems.

Some people with archaic laptops are still running fine while super gaming rigs costing thousands are not. Some people with average systems are getting bad FPS, some are not.

The fact you make comments trying to accuse it on poor system specs and insist on chasing down detailed specs just highlights the fact you are a bit of a tech 'know-it-all' ignorantly blundering in to a debate insisting that you are right despite the fact there is months of evidence to the contrary; the kind of person who would 'fix' a computer problem that if it made something else go wrong you would blame the system or the user opposed to your bodged fix that wasn't well thought out and did not account for certain details.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

People who don't know a whole lot about hardware and computer performance providing evidence that their overpriced prebuilt (costing thousands...) doesn't perform adequately aren't really reliable though. I do not know of a single case where a user has had an ACTUAL high-end system and had FPS issues with correct drivers and settings.

My assumptions are perfectly correct, too. I've seen people wondering why their '6-core 16gb ram 1tb hdd' systems are running like utter shit, completely ignoring the fact their computer came bundled with a piss-poor graphics card and a high price tag along with a shitty single-thread performance from their processor. People wondering why their Core2Duo + 8400M or similar systems not able to comprehend how dated their hardware is, too.

On the other hand, I know of no case where someone who actually knew what the hell they were buying hardware wise, custom-built or not, actually has performance issues on modern hardware.

Also, your terrible ad hominem attempt at making me look like an idiot won't work, I fix computer issues and don't break shit thank you very [bleep]ing much.

A money pouch would be cool. So would a remote price checker. But honestly I'm thinking an insta-Jcoins-market. LOW ON PRAYER AND DONT LIKE XP WASTE?! BUY AN ULTRA PRAYER RESTORE POTION INSTANTLY FOR JUST 75 CENTS! STAY AT BANDOS ALL DAY/AS LONG YOU HAVE MONEY!

On the other hand, I know of no case where someone who actually knew what the hell they were buying hardware wise, custom-built or not, actually has performance issues on modern hardware.

So, if you do not know of any case, it does not exist? That's a cool assumption bro. The truth is runescape isn't performing as efficiently as it should, whether that is on a low end machine or on a multi million dollar supercomputer is irrelevant.

crossed_body.png

Runescape runs like crap on my desktop atm.

I got ATI Raedon HD 5700 series with all the correct drivers with an AMD phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz processor and 8gb with all the correct drivers installed and what not.

My ageing macbook with much low specs on the other hand runs it just fine.

The truth it is a FACT, confirmed by the engine teams working on fixing it, that computer specs have nothing to do with the FPS issues and your assumptions make you look very ignorant and know-it-all. Your attitude just makes me think of stupid techs-elitists who think they know better than everyone else while showing off the fact they are utterly ignorant to the issue. The ignorance in this case being the fact it is confirmed by the devs themselves that the FPS issue is not spec related.

Heck even factor in basic knowledge on runescape requirements and you don;t even really need anything in the way of a decent setup to run at high FPS if this issue did not exist. You could probably run RS at full pelt (sans a few things like particles) with 30 FPS on some 10 year old, windows xp piece of junk with the wrong drivers installed if this FPS issue was non-existent.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You could probably run RS at full pelt (sans a few things like particles) with 30 FPS on some 10 year old, windows xp piece of junk with the wrong drivers installed if this FPS issue was non-existent.

This was me before the bot nuke, and I was perfectly fine. I got a new computer right after the nuke, and it plays RS on min detail with an average of 12 fps.

Everyone who is mad has fps loss. I'm so sorry.

That's not true. I'm mad because Jagex stole my dumplings.

my biggest frustration with the FPS drop is that I can run SWTOR on all high settings with AA and maintain a solid 45-50FPS, and yet in RS I'm lucky to break 25. There is something incredibly borked in the RS engine.

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

Updates

30/04/2012

Hey guys,

Thank you for your patience with this weeks update, we have had a busy day catching up with all the teams so we can provide you with the most up to date information available. Please find below an outline of the latest Tech issues and how we are combating each one.

Frames Per Second

Another week has passed and the atmosphere in the office has been buzzing. Everyone is very happy to hear about the FPS which our testers have been receiving. The reports are looking good and we are very excited to see how this will affect anyone who has had the burden of such low FPS. We are currently at the testing stage where we are checking the compatibility of a range of computer specifications, some made up of tin cans all the way to systems running the best hardware. As this is one of the last few steps of the testing stages, I can't stress enough how close this is to being implemented in game. Let me also reassure you that no date has been decided as we plan on making the fix live as soon as it's ready.

Let me take this chance one again to thank everyone for their patience on this matter. This does not end here though, if the FPS is not fixed for everyone we will continue to work on ridding the game of all FPS gremlins through further performance patches,t alongside our normal updates.

[qfc]25-26-187-63506974[/qfc]

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Updates

30/04/2012

Hey guys,

Thank you for your patience with this week’s update, we have had a busy day catching up with all the teams so we can provide you with the most up to date information available. Please find below an outline of the latest Tech issues and how we are combating each one.

Frames Per Second

Another week has passed and the atmosphere in the office has been buzzing. Everyone is very happy to hear about the FPS which our testers have been receiving. The reports are looking good and we are very excited to see how this will affect anyone who has had the burden of such low FPS. We are currently at the testing stage where we are checking the compatibility of a range of computer specifications, some made up of tin cans all the way to systems running the best hardware. As this is one of the last few steps of the testing stages, I can't stress enough how close this is to being implemented in game. Let me also reassure you that no date has been decided as we plan on making the fix live as soon as it's ready.

Let me take this chance one again to thank everyone for their patience on this matter. This does not end here though, if the FPS is not fixed for everyone we will continue to work on ridding the game of all FPS gremlins through further performance patches,t alongside our normal updates.

[qfc]25-26-187-63506974[/qfc]

Let's just hope it's sooner rather then later. I hate playing StammerScape.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Seems like ever since making this post i've had even more problems. Been playing on a constant 3-5 FPS for days now with a spike to 20-23 maybe for 30 seconds ever half an hour.

I do believe a Jmod agreed the bot nuke would be out before summer, but we'll see. My computer has a low fps, but not as low as some people, but also lag issues, in addition to crashing occasionally for no reason. Literally the game whitescreens (if on a browser) or disappears (on the official client).

I'm usually between 10-20 fps, and I get similar freezes to what toad mentioned, I also get bad freezes when teleing to an area, or when someone activates an aura near me, among other things. And the rs client will close itself very regularly when I run through loading screens, especially if it's an area I haven't been to for a while. Going to get a new graphics card soon and see if that helps, but I know at least some of the problem is on Jagex's side. I always play on software and minimum graphics settings.

The software mode is the problem. Switch to DirectX or OpenGL, and FPS will improve and there'll be no more crashes*. The vast majority of the crashes are due to a bug in the software mode (sw3d.dll).

* There's also a less common crash bug when starting DirectX mode on some systems with Intel graphics chipset.

I do believe a Jmod agreed the bot nuke would be out before summer, but we'll see. My computer has a low fps, but not as low as some people, but also lag issues, in addition to crashing occasionally for no reason. Literally the game whitescreens (if on a browser) or disappears (on the official client).

I'm usually between 10-20 fps, and I get similar freezes to what toad mentioned, I also get bad freezes when teleing to an area, or when someone activates an aura near me, among other things. And the rs client will close itself very regularly when I run through loading screens, especially if it's an area I haven't been to for a while. Going to get a new graphics card soon and see if that helps, but I know at least some of the problem is on Jagex's side. I always play on software and minimum graphics settings.

The software mode is the problem. Switch to DirectX or OpenGL, and FPS will improve and there'll be no more crashes*. The vast majority of the crashes are due to a bug in the software mode (sw3d.dll).

* There's also a less common crash bug when starting DirectX mode on some systems with Intel graphics chipset.

On min settings, at a reasonably crowded GE I have 20 fps with software. I switched to Open GL, and the game client crashed. Literally, the whole thing closed, twice. The same thing happens with DirectX. Switching used to merely cut my FPS in half and increase lag, but now it's completely impossible!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Is that why I can't switch to DirectX or software mode? I haven't been able to use either of them for months.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It only started today, Kaida. I'm not sure why. They didn't even change the build number (714 1), so what could have changed?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Is that why I can't switch to DirectX or software mode? I haven't been able to use either of them for months.

I've found I can't use DirectX mode on Chrome, but I can on Firefox, however, I also found that on Chrome the OpenGL is smoother, yet another however, in Firefox (and official Client) using DirectX is smoother than OpenGL.

Sounds to me like Jagex haven't actually tested this release extensively.