Botany Bay BTS Vid.

Sirknudsen

Not my picture, it was from another fan site:

rsbotdetector.png

I suppose the certificate update earlier yesterday was to detect botting softwares on your computer. Not sure what this means for AHK users, myself included, but I would say we would be pretty safe. What is the HLF community saying about this?

Personally I feel that even though you HAVE to agree to that term and condition to play the game, it's still an invasion of our privacy. But none the less you run into people getting worried about programs they have on their computers. AHK scripts, autotypers (which Jagex stated is "ok" for clan use as long as it's not crazy spam), as well as programs such as autoswitchers which may not be legal on rs, but is used VERY often in other games.

Are we going to be at risk of getting banned just because these programs are on our computer? Who is Jagex to say they're being used for THEIR game. I think they are just asking for trouble having access to programs we have on our computer just because of the fact they will never be 100% sure what that program is used for.

** Also, why the hell do they need access to our microphones and webcams? That's the same thing as wiretapping and basically like ratting our computers. I could easily see this being a justifiable reason to take them to court. (For "wiretapping")

Not my picture, it was from another fan site:

rsbotdetector.png

I suppose the certificate update earlier yesterday was to detect botting softwares on your computer. Not sure what this means for AHK users, myself included, but I would say we would be pretty safe. What is the HLF community saying about this?

As a developer, I thought this looked pretty generic. I went and look on some of my own applications, and they also have this message and they don't have file access. I would assume that the warning says this regardless. Probably microsoft's warning...

w4M8t.png

It seems as if this update is more for the players, who are concerned that nothing's being done about the bots, rather than the underlying mechanism to detect and ban bots itself.

I'd say it's both seeing as they NEED the underlying mechanism to detect and ban bots to be working for this to have any impact at all. The graphics and bay area are just nice cosmetic add-ons to add visibility to the fight. After all now people say oh jagex never ban them, I see the same bots here all day blah blah; it's much more posititve (and off-putting to potential botters) if they can actively see bots being removed.

They even said in interviews and stuff the big bot thing IS this new system that detects and auto-bans.

...but do you really need a giant dragon's hand coming down from the heavens to serve as a visual indicator that Jagex is doing something to fight bots? A simple arrow over the player's head and text in the chat box would be sufficient enough notice IMO.

Now you are just trying to find fault with Jagex just for the sake of finding a problem. If it was a simple arrow you probably would have said it isn't extreme or obvious enough.

I still think the whole idea is just to appease players, but if you can actually see bots getting banned instantly that's pretty cool.

I'm not finding fault for the sake of finding fault. I mean, I don't mind that they're doing this - I've long pined for the return of the Black Hole - but it's more showy than functional IMO.

Yes, Jagex probably has dramatically improved their bot detection system, and it probably blows their current one out of the water. So then that implies that the showiness of it all will only be useful for a little while - if the system is truly capable of detecting bots 100%. Honestly though, for that to fall through, it only takes one false positive...

Furthermore, if the previous bot nuke was any indication, no system is capable of detecting bots 100% accurately. But hey - if Jagex feels that their development time is spent well by creating these visual cues for the player base, then so be it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

It seems as if this update is more for the players, who are concerned that nothing's being done about the bots, rather than the underlying mechanism to detect and ban bots itself.

I'd say it's both seeing as they NEED the underlying mechanism to detect and ban bots to be working for this to have any impact at all. The graphics and bay area are just nice cosmetic add-ons to add visibility to the fight. After all now people say oh jagex never ban them, I see the same bots here all day blah blah; it's much more posititve (and off-putting to potential botters) if they can actively see bots being removed.

They even said in interviews and stuff the big bot thing IS this new system that detects and auto-bans.

...but do you really need a giant dragon's hand coming down from the heavens to serve as a visual indicator that Jagex is doing something to fight bots? A simple arrow over the player's head and text in the chat box would be sufficient enough notice IMO.

Now you are just trying to find fault with Jagex just for the sake of finding a problem. If it was a simple arrow you probably would have said it isn't extreme or obvious enough.

I still think the whole idea is just to appease players, but if you can actually see bots getting banned instantly that's pretty cool.

I'm not finding fault for the sake of finding fault. I mean, I don't mind that they're doing this - I've long pined for the return of the Black Hole - but it's more showy than functional IMO.

Yes, Jagex probably has dramatically improved their bot detection system, and it probably blows their current one out of the water. So then that implies that the showiness of it all will only be useful for a little while - if the system is truly capable of detecting bots 100%. Honestly though, for that to fall through, it only takes one false positive...

Furthermore, if the previous bot nuke was any indication, no system is capable of detecting bots 100% accurately. But hey - if Jagex feels that their development time is spent well by creating these visual cues for the player base, then so be it.

But the previous bot nuke is not any indication because it was designed to break injection and reflection bots (which it did for many months) not to detect them.

The only indication the previous bot nuke shows is that Jagex can do it, they can wipe out most bots; it's just a case of getting these things don e a bit quicker to avoid resurgence.

Also what on earth do you have to base the opinion its more showy than functional on? We haven't seen anything of how well it functions to make any conclusions.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The reason why people are saying it doesn't work is because they only look at the bots who have not got banned, while they have never actually seen the proportion of bots who actually get banned because of said implementations.

This update will let us see exactly WHAT Jagex can do and how many bans ACTUALLY happen, and as a game, putting some fun for the players instead of news post "We have implemented a new anti-bot system into the game. Expect less bots.", this is a win-win situation for me.

** Also, why the hell do they need access to our microphones and webcams? That's the same thing as wiretapping and basically like ratting our computers. I could easily see this being a justifiable reason to take them to court. (For "wiretapping")

It's not saying it will access your microphones and webcams, but rather just saying that it can have unauthorized access to your computer if that's what's required by the applet.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

For some reason, this whole thing reminds me of this:

monty-python-hand-of-god.png

That does seem to be the kind of thing they were going for. The idea of a giant dragon god in the sky coming down to smite sinners makes me happy inside. :D

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

That's because you're not a lawyer.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

What I don't like with botany bay is that the botter basically becomes an npc. He's not actually at his computer, watching himself getting banned. It would have been a lot funnier that way.

Let's say Bob is botting and gets caught. Next time he logs in, he's at botany bay getting banned. Then we could watch his reactions, OMG wtf, what's happening, noooooooo, etc.

This would need support to have many botters in bottany bay at once, not just one, maybe put them in cages.

Without the human aspect it's just three fancy banning animations, after everyone gets their emotes and forks nobody's gonna go back there.

I also like the idea that the botter could go through 'trials' to have a marginally lessened sentence eg. battle royale with other botters, or wait for a certain amount of time in a cell, play cheese roll down the hill x2000, etc. And then after that instead of getting banned he could, for instance, have his character/bank completely wiped and be back at lvl 3. Basically the same as starting over, but he gets to keep his name, friend-list, etc. There's an infinite amount of ways they could make this far more entertaining.

You know a great way to roll cheese down the hill 2000 times, botting, but I am sure botters will learn their lesson and not bot that after getting caught ;).

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Still find this whole update entirely pointless. Quit fannying around building an island and just ban them.

I think it is a cool idea. It would be cool if they expanded on it. Maybe put up notices around runescape when high level players get banned and when there trial is.

I'm more interested to see how well their back-end detection works.

w4M8t.png

Still find this whole update entirely pointless. Quit fannying around building an island and just ban them.

I think it is a cool idea. It would be cool if they expanded on it. Maybe put up notices around runescape when high level players get banned and when there trial is.

I'm more interested to see how well their back-end detection works.

That would not effect the botter in any way. They're banned, how would posting notices make them feel bad. I feel the same way about botany bay. Unless you surprised them by putting them in it when they log in and then do the "punishment", it's pointless.

This is just something jagex is making so people think they're banning a lot of bots.

You know a great way to roll cheese down the hill 2000 times, botting, but I am sure botters will learn their lesson and not bot that after getting caught ;).

Hm maybe not roll the cheese, but something equally as frustrating that can't be botted... Oh I know, force them to dg in teams with the other botters :twss:

We could have a little observation room, watching and laughing as they rage.

• Like 1

2480+ total

But the previous bot nuke is not any indication because it was designed to break injection and reflection bots (which it did for many months) not to detect them.

The only indication the previous bot nuke shows is that Jagex can do it, they can wipe out most bots; it's just a case of getting these things don e a bit quicker to avoid resurgence.

Also what on earth do you have to base the opinion its more showy than functional on? We haven't seen anything of how well it functions to make any conclusions.

Breaking bots and detecting bots fall under the same category as "fighting bots". In my eyes, the indication is that Jagex is spending a lot of resources in combating bots in this manner, which haven't really worked - hence the need for this update yet again.

As for my opinion on it being "showy", it really is - you really don't need a giant dragon's hand giving divine accusation; you need swift and immediate removal. Instead, Jagex is showing the playerbase visually that they're doing something about bots, as opposed to just doing something about bots. The whole song and dance in regards to seeing which ones were removed is an unnecessary placebo for the players. Again, that's just my opinion.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What I don't like with botany bay is that the botter basically becomes an npc. He's not actually at his computer, watching himself getting banned. It would have been a lot funnier that way.

Let's say Bob is botting and gets caught. Next time he logs in, he's at botany bay getting banned. Then we could watch his reactions, OMG wtf, what's happening, noooooooo, etc.

This would need support to have many botters in bottany bay at once, not just one, maybe put them in cages.

Without the human aspect it's just three fancy banning animations, after everyone gets their emotes and forks nobody's gonna go back there.

I also like the idea that the botter could go through 'trials' to have a marginally lessened sentence eg. battle royale with other botters, or wait for a certain amount of time in a cell, play cheese roll down the hill x2000, etc. And then after that instead of getting banned he could, for instance, have his character/bank completely wiped and be back at lvl 3. Basically the same as starting over, but he gets to keep his name, friend-list, etc. There's an infinite amount of ways they could make this far more entertaining.

Actually, I think if people did get to watch themselves, you would see people botting in an effort to get onto the island so that they could record it from the bots perspective and put it on youtube.

Hm maybe not roll the cheese, but something equally as frustrating that can't be botted... Oh I know, force them to dg in teams with the other botters :twss:

We could have a little observation room, watching and laughing as they rage.

It's been proven that the ultimate punishment for any player is to prime elemental bars.

They might have done better to make server-wide announcements on bannings, but if their system is really good then you could expect to see a lot of spam :P

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

also, i'm pretty sure there are dg bots, considering the frost farming

There are I have seen them. The operate on soloing though.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

When Jagex works on Stellar Dawn/Transformers MMO/othergames:

People: "Based on what Jagex is doing lately, looks like they might stop RuneScape development soon."; "Jagex should fix their own game first before working on others, ffs."; "[bleep]ing do something about bots, Jamajcbelex!2211"

When Jagex creates fun content which allows players to witness the scale of bannings that actually happen that players were never able to see before, to clear our blind hatred towards their stance on botting:

People: "asdfghjkl, just make worldwide announcements."; "This shit is pointless."; "<insert previous 4 pages of critics>"

EDIT: While I'm not a Jagex-fanboy (points to sig), I certainly don't want to be against every update just because they're not quests/skill reworks/game engine updates. Some good fun is a good break for the grindfest this game is made out of.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I really do not see the point of the dragon claw or the trials when the person who is botting will just reroll. They could've used this development time to actually work on Stellar Dawn.

Because bot banning gets boring and monotonous after a while and they like to have fun with it. Also: The RuneScape development team has nothing to do with the Stellar Dawn development, which was fully ceased so Jagex could focus on Transformers Online and RuneScape's Evolution of Combat.

When Jagex works on Stellar Dawn/Transformers MMO/othergames:

People: "Based on what Jagex is doing lately, looks like they might stop developing RuneScape soon."; "Jagex should fix their own game first before working on others, ffs."; "[bleep]ing do something about bots, Jamajcbelex!2211"

When Jagex creates fun content which allows players to witness the scale of bannings that actually happen that players were never able to see before, to clear our blind hatred towards their stance on botting:

People: "asdfghjkl, just make worldwide announcements."; "This shit is pointless."; "<insert previous 4 pages of critics>"

You're expecting far too much consistency out of these people.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Seeing as bots get "three warnings" I doubt we'll see any bot execution on release day. If, however, we do, then I suppose that means the whole thing is a sham, because there's no way they can go through three warnings on the first day.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000