Behind the Scenes: January 2013

Howlin0001

We love starting each new year with something large, and this year is no exception. Cue the Kalphite King and our first ever level 90 equipment!

Kalphite King

kphtthumb-02172403.png

Since the dawn of time, the Kalphite Lair has been born and reborn, as each new queen ascends to rule over her beetly minions. In the sandy depths, way below the inhospitable Kharidian Desert, a new foe has emerged and it’s eager to spill your blood and feed its ravenous nest. This new kalphite has taken a different, far larger and brutal form, however, and even the queen herself isn’t capable of ruling over him. It can only be...the Kalphite King.

In this brand new, instanced boss fight, you’ll need to work cooperatively with a group of high level friends to avoid a quick and ungraceful death, including learning how to dodge the most damaging NPC attack ever! He'll have a large range of potential attacks, keeping even the most effective teams on their toes. The fight itself will be instanced, so there won’t be any issues of overcrowding or run-ins, as you'll be able to set rules to control who can join you for the fight.

If you are skilled enough to prevail, the potential loot from this chitinous menace will be huge. To start with, he'll drop a range of new, level 90 weaponry focused around dual-wielding melee users, with both main and off-hand maces, longswords and rapiers. All-new kalphite enemies will also drop the resources needed to repair this magnificent new equipment.

In this brand new Kalphite Hive, you’ll be able to fight through graphically reworked kalphites; perfect for kalphite Slayer assignments. We’re even overhauling their drop tables to make fighting them more profitable.

Hati Wolf and Friends

It’s winter again, and - as sure as the seasons themselves - the legendary wolves, Hati and Sköll, stalk the Fremennik forests and fjords once more.

Each wolf requires a group of experienced players to defeat, with Hati focused around combat skills, and Sköll having a rather interesting Firemaking alternative to traditional hack-and-slash techniques.

The brave adventurers who assist in their demise will receive a selection of wolf cosmetic gear (a brand new one, as well as all of the existing pieces) and an angry-wolf-sized chunk of bonus XP in Combat, Woodcutting and Agility.

Desert Area Tasks

The king isn’t the only desert content were adding this month: we’re introducing the newest of our task sets, which covers all of the Kharidian Desert.

The task set incorporates 4 different levels of player skill, covering the traditional 'easy', 'medium', 'hard' and 'elite' categories, with elite requiring such levels as 91 Thieving 89 Crafting, to name a few. For those of you that haven’t tried a task set before... what have you been doing? Think of it like an awesome list of things to do, where you'll need to visit all four corners of the desert, collecting items, visiting hidden pockets of the game world and earning cool rewards while you do it.

Rewards are, as always, numerous, and along with a hefty chuck of XP, crafters, herblorists and miners will be particularly pleased with what we have planned. As always, the rewards will include a piece of upgradeable gear - an amulet, in this case. We're also including some new daily rewards, rerolls for the Dominion Tower and improvements to two of the older, more neglected desert weapons.

Demon Flash Mobs

The demons have entered an arms race! Unknown to many, demons don’t just follow the word of Zamorak – far from it. Demons are looking to strengthen the presence (and power) of their chosen god, and - in late January - you’ll be able to intervene...if you dare. These demons are summoning and empowering their most powerful generals to ravage the land; draining blood and harvesting souls for a mysterious cause. This has not gone unnoticed, and a Saradominist priest will need your help!

Similar to the goblin flash mobs from 2012 (only much, much tougher) you’ll be able to fight groups of NPCs that appear in pre-determined locations (like the Wilderness and other dangerous zones) throughout the world. For those brave enough, new rewards await! This time you’ll be able to kit yourself out with the latest in warrior-chic: the demon slayer armour. In addition to its generous stats - equivalent to dragon armour - they'll also grant you increased XP when fighting demons, and an increased dodge chance when fighting the demon general that spawns at the end of the flash mob.

demon flash mobs armour

dfmarm-02172528.png

Squeal of Fortune & Solomon's General Store

There's plenty of cool content on the way from Yelps and Solomon this January, too. To complement the soon-to-be-released God Statues Distraction & Diversion, we'll be releasing Construction training packs on the Squeal of Fortune, giving you a chance to score some handy materials for improving your POH. There's also two sets of awesome-looking kalphite armour overrides, so you can get in touch with your inner invertebrate.

There's loads more to come as well as these: weekend boosts to Summoning XP from lamps and bags of cash from Yelps, and abduction teleports and some wickedly demonic armour from Solomon. If you fancy treating yourself to a few spins on the Squeal of Fortune or something sweet-looking from Solomon's Store, January's the time!

Have fun!

Mod Mark

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan; not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

howlin1eeveesig.png

If you are skilled enough to prevail, the potential loot from this chitinous menace will be huge. To start with, he'll drop a range of new, level 90 weaponry focused around dual-wielding melee users, with both main and off-hand maces, longswords and rapiers. All-new kalphite enemies will also drop the resources needed to repair this magnificent new equipment.

Rest in Peace what's left of DG.

• Like 4

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Seems like a nice month overall; one just hopes that in feb/mar we get lvl 90 ranged and mage weapons to match or it'll be like derp jagex already ruined their whole 'fill out the tiers fairly' thing.

Though not much I'm likely to personally do other than Hati and Tasks.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't think it'll have that big of an impact on dg to be fair, most people who ever planned on getting chaotics will have them by now.

Hati Wolf is nice, and I hope the Kalphite King is very difficult with GWD/Nex gear to give us a use for PoP armour.

Asmodean <3

Maul says Hi.

• Like 1

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Seems like a nice month overall; one just hopes that in feb/mar we get lvl 90 ranged and mage weapons to match or it'll be like derp jagex already ruined their whole 'fill out the tiers fairly' thing.

How do you work that one out? If all the new dual wield items are roughly similar to each other, I'm not seeing the unfairness of it. Lack of 2h weapons, or weapons from other classes, doesn't make it inherently unfair.

instanced boss fight

:pray:

The rest sounds cool, should be a good month.

Luk3d.png

I like the way Engstrom talks about the feeling of realism and immersion. Can you imagine how he must feel when one of the Al-Kharid warriors drops a spin ticket?

Maul says Hi.

Main and offhand maces though, which I imagine might have higher DPS than Chaotic maul (for crush weak stuff anyway), due to maces having a much higher attack speed.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

How do you work that one out? If all the new dual wield items are roughly similar to each other, I'm not seeing the unfairness of it. Lack of 2h weapons, or weapons from other classes, doesn't make it inherently unfair.

If their dps is better than lvl 80 magic/range vs magic/range-weak monsters, then you would use melee everywhere.

The unfairness is it means in pvp meleers have greater dps than mage or range due to a new higher tier the others don't have. It also means in pvm crush, slash and stab weak monsters can be downed faster due to a new higher tier, whilst air/earth/water/fire/thrown/arrow/bolt don't have it.

Half of what the eoc is and does relies on the fact they filled out all the blank spots in tiering, hence the abundance of new mage armours, and that the tiers remain filled out across all classes.

Until we get a lvl 90 bow, crossbow, thrown wep and staff/wand/orb/book to match melee has a distinct advantage.

Though I'm optimistic on Jagex sorting it out, I mean we do know we have a Ranged Slayer dungeon on the cards which would make a logic source for a set of lvl 90 ranged weps, which would just leave 1-2 lvl 90 mage items needing to be added.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The fight itself will be instanced, so there won’t be any issues of overcrowding or run-ins, as you'll be able to set rules to control who can join you for the fight.

This intrigued me. So friends chat, or possibly a new grouping system with that spare tab, will be used to control the instanced boss. I really look forward to this and using my newly obtained Overloads.

• Like 1

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I don't suppose they could have waited until we unlocked level 85 gear before releasing level 90 items?

I don't see how it makes any difference, there is no crossover.

I just don't like that we've gone up two tiers in less than a month, when there's only a handful of items in each at the moment (Items that nobody has yet). Gives off the impression that they're doing it for the sake of saying "Look at us, we're releasing all of this high level stuff! Please stay subscribed, angry HLF'ers!"

Just saying, why not level 85 weapons to match those from the ports? It's not like it won't be a high level update anyway, what with it coming from a candidate for hardest boss in the game. It's like the amps that go up to 11 from Spinal Tap.

• Like 3

I hope these new weapons won't be tradeable or that they are the last tier of tradeable equipment. Like tier 11 in dungeoneering, it'd be cool to have the top tier untradeable. It's one of the few solid ways of rewarding skilling in combat situations.

Since EoC, it's become nearly impossible to rush/overwhelm people in pvp, so in that sense the addition of another tier of weapons isn't such a big deal, even with no equivalent tier armour available.

Magic still sucks for the most part (melee/ranged abilities hit a lot higher, magic needs to mess with autoattacks etc.), ability tiers aren't filled out yet, we still need a level 80 1h crush weapon and thrown weapon (both 1h and 2h), and there's no 1h arrow weapons afaik. To up the max tier of dual wield melee seems a bit premature.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I am really looking forward to the tasks, and that is the only update i will be able to "do" this monty

And I would love to see the task armour get a update in stats, so it might be more usefull in cb situations

As for the other updates:

Kk might be cool, but i have to get stronger

flash mobs, we shall see what we get,

Hati, more bonus xp. I might not do this,I enjoy this game cuz of the progress of getting better

and not by being good so why bother speeding up the training process?

Sof, Idc, just alot of junk imo.

Sgs, ^^

I still have a whole bunch of content to catch up on but the tasks is the biggest thing for me this month. Still not confident enough in the new combat to even think of fighting a new boss (plus I've got a bunch of previously released ones that I've not fought). Tasks will hopefully point me towards some things I've missed in the last year or so which would be nice and of course the experience will be good too.

I hope these new weapons won't be tradeable or that they are the last tier of tradeable equipment. Like tier 11 in dungeoneering, it'd be cool to have the top tier untradeable. It's one of the few solid ways of rewarding skilling in combat situations.

Since EoC, it's become nearly impossible to rush/overwhelm people in pvp, so in that sense the addition of another tier of weapons isn't such a big deal, even with no equivalent tier armour available.

Magic still sucks for the most part (melee/ranged abilities hit a lot higher, magic needs to mess with autoattacks etc.), ability tiers aren't filled out yet, we still need a level 80 1h crush weapon and thrown weapon (both 1h and 2h), and there's no 1h arrow weapons afaik. To up the max tier of dual wield melee seems a bit premature.

Since its not possible to have a 1h bow arrow has the shield bows in place of 1h where they are weaker but have defence compared to the normal bows eg it's like having a bow and a shield. No 'dual wield' arrow format though - but presumably we could just have 'quick fire' bows that fire twice as fast

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I don't suppose they could have waited until we unlocked level 85 gear before releasing level 90 items?

THIS!

PoPs have level 85 armor. This will be level 90 weapons. What's the problem?

Level 85 weapons should come before level 90 weapons. It makes more sense that way in my opinion. Regardless of how it has been done previously.

• Like 1

To anyone saying RIP dg - Some of us still don't have the money to buy even armadyl, so i think that DG weapons will find their place among the ultra-uber-give-me-three-partyhats-for-a-degradable-sword-and-one-for-repairing-esque gear.

S11m.gif
Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...