Behind the Scenes: January 2013

Howlin0001

I see nobody's commented on the SoF/SGS this month. Good to see we've gotten past the phase of, "Wow gf RS, another SOF update! This whole month's been ruined!"

I think everyone has grown a custom to having a monthly SoF/SGS update. Guess people don't feel the need to mention it anymore.

I'm glad that I don't feel obligated to do dung anymore, then though all of the new items will be out of my price range.

Possibly will impact the relative ease of training dung as chaotics will have less demand. May lower the price of Nex gear too!

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

Instanced team boss? Yes please.

I still won't use Nex gear because of the repair charge. Why use Torva when Bandos is sufficient for slayer?

Because Torva is spiky and jet black and makes everyone want to be you.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Nex gear won't be a status symbol if it isn't expensive or high tier.

Also, an instanced group boss may mean less competition, but it means that the drops from it will be much more common due to the ability for everyone and their mother to fight it at the same time.

Also, an instanced group boss may mean less competition, but it means that the drops from it will be much more common due to the ability for everyone and their mother to fight it at the same time.

True on both points, however I prefer a fight with the game rather than a fight with players, even if the payout is lower.

True on both points, however I prefer a fight with the game rather than a fight with players, even if the payout is lower.

This relies on the assumption that the drops aren't made super rare to balance out instancing, y'know like how the nex armour drops are relatively common (as boss drops go) to balance out the difficulty.

It also relies on the assumption that they will be tradable.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The drops will always be worth less than had it not been instanced though which I believe was Vezon's point. I'm wondering though....if this boss is as hard as they say it is then judging by how empty Nex and corp have been (in the past when drops were actually worth anything) instancing might not be needed at all.

Not saying I called it, but I was just telling someone how much I'd like it if the KK was like the QBD but with a party system. Looks like I got my wish!! :)

Although really I was hoping that tier 90 weapons would also come from DG... Warped Weapons Why??

2dgucz6.png

No quest.... Withdrawl symptoms increasing.

edit also since they will be releasing new 90 weapons you think they have any plans for finishing out the chaotic tier and giving us a chaotic mace/warhammer, 2h and spear?

• Like 1

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I don't think it's so much as tiers... I think there is a bit of a pseudo concept when it comes to tiers. What that means is things follow a general progression, but all the plot points, or weapons/armour, in this case don't need to match up.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't think it's so much as tiers... I think there is a bit of a pseudo concept when it comes to tiers. What that means is things follow a general progression, but all the plot points, or weapons/armour, in this case don't need to match up.

If they want to keep the combat triangle balanced they have to follow a tier system now though. If not the system will just get skewed again.

michel555555.png

Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Almost cried when I read level 90 gear on the RS main page, but then saw it was only weapons (and only 1h melee weapons at that) and was like :D

The only thing this update will hurt are chaotic rapiers/longswords really.

Also @Urza, given how accurate level 80 weapons are against level 80 armour without a shield, these level 90 weapons are gonna have a field day against the not-in-game-yet POP gear.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

If they want to keep the combat triangle balanced they have to follow a tier system now though. If not the system will just get skewed again.

That's the thing, they went through a lot of effort to (at least attempt to) balance things, only to throw a wrench in it two months later.

I would agree if Jagex hadn't used the word tier like a million times and purposefully moved gear about in level reqs to create and maintain said tiers.

I do however agree that not every tier needs to be 100% full, so long as they are balanced towards all classes.

eg We had glacor boots in level 85 tier which was fine as a stand alone as there was something for all 3 classes.

Or where at lvl 80 we have the chaotics but we lack 2h slash and stab, 1h/dual crush it's ok cause atleast everything is covered in some form (for sake of this example I'm taking zaryte and virtus to cover arrow and 1h/dual mage and ignoring thrown since Jagex has openly acknowledged thrown lacks high end weapons for the moment and indicated they intend to fix tht with the range slayer dungeon)

But, as previously mentioned, I think it is bad (if left unaddressed for over 2-3 months) to introduce a new tier for only melee styles without a range/mage counterparts.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I hope these new weapons won't be tradeable or that they are the last tier of tradeable equipment. Like tier 11 in dungeoneering, it'd be cool to have the top tier untradeable. It's one of the few solid ways of rewarding skilling in combat situations.

Since EoC, it's become nearly impossible to rush/overwhelm people in pvp, so in that sense the addition of another tier of weapons isn't such a big deal, even with no equivalent tier armour available.

Magic still sucks for the most part (melee/ranged abilities hit a lot higher, magic needs to mess with autoattacks etc.), ability tiers aren't filled out yet, we still need a level 80 1h crush weapon and thrown weapon (both 1h and 2h), and there's no 1h arrow weapons afaik. To up the max tier of dual wield melee seems a bit premature.

Since its not possible to have a 1h bow arrow has the shield bows in place of 1h where they are weaker but have defence compared to the normal bows eg it's like having a bow and a shield. No 'dual wield' arrow format though - but presumably we could just have 'quick fire' bows that fire twice as fast

Don't forget that the melee and mage main hand weapons are to be used for both dual wielding and sword-and-board, so a shieldbow should be released with the new dw ranged weapons (whenever that would be) to keep things consistent.

Of course, that would also mean new shields for everyone else.

22031_s.gif

I don't understand either; everything is bland now.

Before we had such diversity in armour stats and now all we have is tiers. (not to say we're nearing the cap with high leveled weapons & armour)

RIP PvP. I thought it was dead after the ditch, free trade ban/GE. Now, it really is. I wonder what the future will bring. Oh well, it's not like I have been affected much by updates through the years; still enjoying the game at my own pace. I hope I can get my hands on the weapons though; DG is a pain.

-Teh Fork.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Combat will always be unbalanced.

I'm not sure why balance is a good thing, anyway.

cause it was borring with a monster being weak to mage/range/crush/slash and always just getting out a rapier.

michel555555.png