A dying skill?

constrictor

Construction was fine at the time -- even training it at low levels wasn't cheap and the utility that stuff like mounted glories provided was really nice. The issue is that it's a skill that's a) nearly seven years old and b) has not received a single meaningful utility update since its inception.

The pets would run away from you...

Fair point. I don't really count the menagerie, because pets themselves are more or less completely cosmetic (SGS ones not withstanding, but those have zero interaction with the menagerie), but I can see why others might and the summoning obelisk is useful even if only modestly so.

Construction was fine at the time -- even training it at low levels wasn't cheap and the utility that stuff like mounted glories provided was really nice. The issue is that it's a skill that's a) nearly seven years old and b) has not received a single meaningful utility update since its inception.

Fair point. I don't really count the menagerie, because pets themselves are more or less completely cosmetic (SGS ones not withstanding, but those have zero interaction with the menagerie), but I can see why others might and the summoning obelisk is useful even if only modestly so.

Not true.

Once fully grown the SGS pets can be put in the menagerie from the customisation interface; same as any other pet.

Of course this is really pure cosmetic but it is interaction none the less

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

That's but one room. Hardly justifies the skill as a whole.

But it does count as a 'single meaningful utility update' that occurred 'since its inception' hence why miss lioness choose to bold that part of the post which she quoted.

Guys stop being such douche[canoes] and stay on topic, he made one generalization, chill the [bleep] out.

Will be updating first post with proposed ideas.

@MotherBrainII, good points, I'd agree, though as other's have pointed out the Menagerie update has been kind of nice, less of a crowded bank (lol because P2P banks get crowded - since when?).

YEAH GUYS, CHILL OUT. YOU GUYS ARE GETTING REALLY RAMBUNCTIOUS, YOU ASSBLASTING SHITFEELING BUTTTRENCHES.

I want at least a deposit box in my PoH. Maybe a full fledged bank. Just a graphics update would be nice, though, and maybe an option that allows us to move around rooms without having to demolish them.

Hahaha, well played.

Was just pointing out the slide-off-topic. Anyways; good points.

P.S. Moved suggestions, if anyone wants to condense them into bullet points that area easier to read, feel free (and repost here).

Not true.

Once fully grown the SGS pets can be put in the menagerie from the customisation interface; same as any other pet.

Of course this is really pure cosmetic but it is interaction none the less

Huh. I didn't know that; thanks.

I'd class that as a negative utility interaction though, if I'm right in thinking you can no longer summon it on demand from the menagerie, and yeah, no utility otherwise.

Oh no you can still summon it at will, it's just a tick box that causes it to take a slot in the pet house and appear around the house; though they very rarely spawn in house unless u got empty rooms around or set them to baby. Too big.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The costume room was also a useful update...

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I love my 99 con (14, 598,042 xp). Looooove my house. It makes it pleasurable to have to teleport there as a hub for anywhere I fricken want in RS. Is it a novelty? Of course. Isn't everything a novelty in its own way? I have like 82 Cook and 76 Dung, I don't know if I'll ever get them higher. I can buy my own food, and I can do well without chaotics. Each skill is a novelty, that's the point of it.Finding enjoyment in the unenjoyable, in the end all you're doing is clicking on a screen for 8 hours a day as your muscles atrophy to nothing but waste.

• Like 1

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I love my 99 con (14, 598,042 xp). Looooove my house. It makes it pleasurable to have to teleport there as a hub for anywhere I fricken want in RS. Is it a novelty? Of course. Isn't everything a novelty in its own way? I have like 82 Cook and 76 Dung, I don't know if I'll ever get them higher. I can buy my own food, and I can do well without chaotics. Each skill is a novelty, that's the point of it.Finding enjoyment in the unenjoyable, in the end all you're doing is clicking on a screen for 8 hours a day as your muscles atrophy to nothing but waste.

I would not agree at all that all skills are a novelty, most have a definite use to the overall game.

Attack, strength, defence, hp, magic, ranged, summoning and prayer all confer some extra benefits the more you level them through improving combat.

Slayer runs quite high up with most slayer monsters offering reasonable profit through drops

Fishing and Cooking are necessities of the combat market too - sure YOU might not use them, but if nobody did you wouldnt be buying those fishies you love so much.

Etc.

About the only ones that lift out massively as having very little boon to being trained at all are Fm, Mining, Smithing, Agility and Construction.

Mine and Smith are easily fixable via squashing content down to appropriate levels and adding some new high-end content.

The other 3 really need complete overhauls that offer fundamental alterations to what the skill can do to make them have much in the way of practical uses.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Construction started dying just months after it was actually released, because people realized it had very little pay-back for the great costs.

Most of the conveniences you get from construction are small, or you can simply use someone else's house for the same conveniences...without spending money to level it.

It saved some bank spaces, had some teleports, and a safe place to rest and restore. That was about it for personal use.

Back when I played, I didn't even TOUCH construction until level 50 (penguin points back then to get there), and that was just to make portal rooms, an altar...those simple things really.

it wasn't until I had a larger bank worth, and essentially nothing else to do, that I decided to just level it for the sake of leveling it, and making a nice big house.

It needs more Out of House uses for it to actually be worth training in depth.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt

It has little uses now especially because of free teleports from lodestones, but gilded altar, armor stand, and a safe teleport are still useful, even though the last one can be done at a really low level. It has definitely lost it's initial craze and some uses.

I would not agree at all that all skills are a novelty, most have a definite use to the overall game.

Attack, strength, defence, hp, magic, ranged, summoning and prayer all confer some extra benefits the more you level them through improving combat.

Slayer runs quite high up with most slayer monsters offering reasonable profit through drops

Fishing and Cooking are necessities of the combat market too - sure YOU might not use them, but if nobody did you wouldnt be buying those fishies you love so much.

Etc.

About the only ones that lift out massively as having very little boon to being trained at all are Fm, Mining, Smithing, Agility and Construction.

Mine and Smith are easily fixable via squashing content down to appropriate levels and adding some new high-end content.

The other 3 really need complete overhauls that offer fundamental alterations to what the skill can do to make them have much in the way of practical uses.

Yes, but that only applies if you are combat oriented. While yes, there are monsters all throughout runescape, and some of the best 'skilling' spots are located in dangerous areas, the vast majority of the game can be played without any interaction with combat, as we see by the meteoric rise of low level, to no level skillers back in 'the day.' While overall, some skills having a markably higher usage rate among the community on average is undeniable, nothing about those skills make them.... "un novelty" for lack of a better phrase. The player base is more geared toward combat, and thus skills that provide ease of access to it such as Cooking, Herblore, Agility, Fishing and Farming are bound to be just as heavily trained as combat. This however, does not mean that all skills that are not either a) applicable to easing combat, or b) involved directly in combat (such as Summoning) are then considered fruitless. You will find anywhere in the world, people who spend their lives doing things that add no monetary, societal, or heck, any tangible gain whatsoever. They do these things passionaltely and without complaint because they love doing it. The only requirement for a skill to be useful, is for it to be fun to the player, and never is it more true than in the video game industry, that fun is in the eye of beholder.

So yes, I will agree with you that it's certainly not a... sought after skill, for much of the populace, and so in the real world, it would be considered a novelty. But JAGEX goes through great lengths to ensure that all players are considered equal, and because this is a closed system, the programming rules put in place by JAGEX developers are used to not only decide the visceral world around you, but the world of the economy as well. Since every player is considered equal, you cannot have a skill that is 'better' than the other, because each skill's value is intrinsically based, and so to others it is a worthless products, but to others it is life itself for the game. We cannot have novelty skills, because there is no way to calculate the 'cut off' point, if you will, of a skill's value, vs for example, so many thousands of items that Jagex dumps on the game every year that no one uses. While typing this, I've realized that one could argue there are no novelty items either, but since then the values to many of the items are inherently tied to the market, the value can be derived from that.

• Like 1

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I literally have no idea what you are arguing now.

Your first post was calling skills like fishing a novelty because you don't use them and instead buy the supplies in.

Then I say they mostly have a definite purpose within the game, therefore aren't a 'novelty' to train for the sake of it.

This response is some waffle about combat-oriented (that holds no relevance to my post) being wrong because there are skillers. And skills can't be 'unovelty' because they are used? And the only requirement to be useful is to be fun. And that skills cannot be better than each other so therefore cannot be novelty?

I mean seriously? What are you even trying to say? It's a jumble of ideas that contradict your original point, have little relation to anything I said and even conflict with each other. It just doesn't read coherently.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I literally have no idea what you are arguing now.

Your first post was calling skills like fishing a novelty because you don't use them and instead buy the supplies in.

Then I say they mostly have a definite purpose within the game, therefore aren't a 'novelty' to train for the sake of it.

This response is some waffle about combat-oriented (that holds no relevance to my post) being wrong because there are skillers. And skills can't be 'unovelty' because they are used? And the only requirement to be useful is to be fun. And that skills cannot be better than each other so therefore cannot be novelty?

I mean seriously? What are you even trying to say? It's a jumble of ideas that contradict your original point, have little relation to anything I said and even conflict with each other. It just doesn't read coherently.

Thats without even mentioning the fact that its WALLOFTEXT.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

The problem I find with Construction is that while houses are more useful than many people give them credit for, the useful stuff is unlocked at a pretty low level and you don't get anything for training it beyond 70-ish apart from cosmetic stuff which isn't actually that pretty. It also leaves a huge hole in your coin purse. It's a skill developed for a different era of Runescape, where skills weren't expected to be complete past level 75 because no other skill really was at the time.

I do think it needs a huge overhaul. I'd like to see options for building walls square by square, and much more utility. Houses should be your base of operations. Ideas off the top of my head:

1. Customised placement for objects within the square grid.

2. A bank chest (a deposit box makes for a good lower-level variant).

3. More teleport attuning options. It should be possible to use most artefacts with teleport spells to attune portals, usually with permanent effect.

4. Build skilling plots, particularly farming patches, mines and pottery-making equipment.

5. Integration with the Clan Citadels. I'd like to build a portal to the Citadel or even move my house portal to the Citadel.

6. More options for displaying various trophies, from capes to customisable armour displays.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The problem I find with Construction is that while houses are more useful than many people give them credit for, the useful stuff is unlocked at a pretty low level and you don't get anything for training it beyond 70-ish apart from cosmetic stuff which isn't actually that pretty. It also leaves a huge hole in your coin purse. It's a skill developed for a different era of Runescape, where skills weren't expected to be complete past level 75 because no other skill really was at the time.

I do think it needs a huge overhaul. I'd like to see options for building walls square by square, and much more utility. Houses should be your base of operations. Ideas off the top of my head:

1. Customised placement for objects within the square grid.

2. A bank chest (a deposit box makes for a good lower-level variant).

3. More teleport attuning options. It should be possible to use most artefacts with teleport spells to attune portals, usually with permanent effect.

4. Build skilling plots, particularly farming patches, mines and pottery-making equipment.

5. Integration with the Clan Citadels. I'd like to build a portal to the Citadel or even move my house portal to the Citadel.

6. More options for displaying various trophies, from capes to customisable armour displays.

I think rather than attuning teleports we should be able to have a sort of 'artefact hall' where u can build various things into teleport objects.

For example:

An ornate birdbath type thing that u add 5 buckets of ectoplasm + ectophial too to make it teleport there.

Or add 10 super compost + grand tree seed pod for tht tele

Or water, red dye, blood tally + drakan medallion

Portal frames that you fuse jewellery too so like 10 fer rings or 10 glories or 10 row or 10 duelling

etc.

Just a bit more variety to a rainbow of portals

Also an 'armoury' would be nice - a place where you can store any items with combat stats plus it has say 10 armour-ment slots where you can build gear sets to quick equip; plus have like 3 or 4 dummies that can display outfits and various trophy things like legend cape, fire cape, lava cape pegs etc.

A 'hall of commune' would be nice to; a room where by visiting NPCs and completing mini-quests you can obtain something off them which you can add to the upgradable equipment in the room that provides a sort of NPC contact facility, but add in more guys with more diversity.

Like have the slayer masters and mini-game people and d&d folks but also include like the bow and seed elves, people you can reclaim items from, people used in a lot of quests (eg reldo), the people who give out free items from tasks etc.

Think sort of like a holo-deck built and upgraded using like glass and orb of occulus and commorbs and such.

Bob the cat would be nice addition too.

Could also offer some high-level D&D upgrade facilities as well - for example make scrying pool a bit more useful and make it be able to show you penguin locations, make it so you can cast a tracker spell on to stars you spy to get the gold trail thing to them when they land that sort of thing. Would have to be high level con and other stats and require a cost from the D&D - eg 90 con and mage + 30 peng points for scrying pool.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

If they update construction, I wouldn't be surprised if they also jack up the cost of planks and stuff. Right now magic stones are what, 1M each? Wouldn't be surprised if they released construction items that are 10-100M each since 1M is chump change now compared to when it was released.

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

Because you gain very little of value for the boredom/cost of the skill.

/thread.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

/thread.

Not the end of the thread, sorry.

I certainly think that the entire code base of the skill needs to be changed. It seems like a lot of the skill was written poorly so that updates were hard to make, things ran a little slowly, or otherwise interfered with how the skill needed to operate.

/thread.

Not the end of the thread, sorry.

I certainly think that the entire code base of the skill needs to be changed. It seems like a lot of the skill was written poorly so that updates were hard to make, things ran a little slowly, or otherwise interfered with how the skill needed to operate.

I dunno - I think for the time it was very well done; just code in that area has progressed by larger leaps and bounds than some other areas. I think a problematic feature of an overhaul is also to do with existing houses.

I kinda feel like Jagex needs to make an entirely new PoH system starting from blank BUT it needs to be able to import costume room and menagerie from the old system at least. (Not direct import mind, it'd have to be equivalents like each furniture item imports across to its new equiv) AND old houses need to exist but with the added functionality of EVERYTHING in there can be removed whilst returning 100% resources.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Construction is your own personal space on runescape.

Decorate it with trophies and whatever.

Show a little style, just don't slap down the most expensive stuff.

It provides you some tools, food, and some storage space.

That's the original purpose of construction and it was fun in 07.

The problem is short of the shattered hearts statue, when is the last time you saw something new and cool to be added to it?

I don't remember.

That's what the problem is.

Also, think about citadels.

They have everything we wanted added to POHS.

A bank, a place to skill, a place to hang out with friends, a place to hold meetings, and a place to hold combat matches.

Basically, Jagex gave up on construction and gave you citadels, so that's why it is dead.

Not because mod dingleberry thinks it needs an overhaul or not because the kid down the street who calls going to the bathroom an "xp waste" thinks it's useless.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Construction is personally my favorite skill. Gained around 4000 SC points to cut half the cost so I could put more into the POH itself. Construction *imo* was at its height in popularity when house parties were largely popular. This day in age they're pretty much dead besides w31 altars in Yanille. However, the most efficient altars have very few rooms. Portals/altar/amulet of glory. Maybe a lectern (but idk how many people make tabs anymore). Pures used to all the time.

I do agree that Construction has lost its flare. I personally stopped hosting house parties around 3 years ago and nowadays just use it for costume room storage. One suggestion I make every now and then is to allow us to show off our houses in f2p worlds. I feel it is too late for that though.

Golvellius was right on the mark for the purpose of the skill. It was about personalization. You didn't have to be rich to make a great house. Sure you couldn't have marble furniture. That didn't mean you couldn't be creative.

It would be awesome if Jagex gave us the option to move rooms around. Maybe have a 3-layer grid where we can drag and drop rooms. More storage, but not shove in a box storage. Display kind of storage. More trophies, more armour stands, etc... I bet a cape room would be largely popular. You can hang capes up on walls and racks, etc...

I agree that Construction has became less popular over the years. There are 1000s of players with 99 Construction, who haven't even decided on building a house. They may just have the few rooms necessary for training the skill. Hopefully Jagex spices up some life into the skill. More functionality and personalization though. Not just more types of rooms.

• Like 3

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Construction is your own personal space on runescape.

Decorate it with trophies and whatever.

Show a little style, just don't slap down the most expensive stuff.

It provides you some tools, food, and some storage space.

That's the original purpose of construction and it was fun in 07.

The problem is short of the shattered hearts statue, when is the last time you saw something new and cool to be added to it?

I don't remember.

That's what the problem is.

Also, think about citadels.

They have everything we wanted added to POHS.

A bank, a place to skill, a place to hang out with friends, a place to hold meetings, and a place to hold combat matches.

Basically, Jagex gave up on construction and gave you citadels, so that's why it is dead.

Not because mod dingleberry thinks it needs an overhaul or not because the kid down the street who calls going to the bathroom an "xp waste" thinks it's useless.

Thank. This was a wonderful response.

I think you're playing down the significance of "xp waste" too much... it is what it is; a sub-culture of the RuneScape population, and they're not likely to bothered in using the skill as a means of self-expression, as you're describing.

Agreed on the point about citadels, though. It seems strange to me, looking at things like citadels and PoP, where you upgrade buildings, ships and infrastructure, that the Construction skill plays absolutely no part at all. It's like asking whether you want to a cut a tree, but not requiring the Woodcutting skill to do it. In Herblore Habitat, if you lack the Construction level for the hotspot, you can pay the guy to do it for you. Where does that happen in any other skill? Paying a druid to make overloads? Just doesn't happen.