Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should trading EOCscape gp for 07scape GP be bannable?

41 replies to this topic

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:999134thpure
  • RSN2:1 Pray Hero
  • Clan:hyt
We currently have the horrific system of allowing trading between games, this has created a variety of problems.

- All top buyables ranks are just people swapping phats for 07scape cash.
- RWT is basicly unbannable now in both games, you can just claim you are swapping for otherscape GP and be fine.
- It is just as bad for the game as RWTing is, noobs get the best gear via basicly cheating.

I cannot see any positive sides to allowing cross game trading.
Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!
Posted Image
old sig

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
I'd think the only problem is that it would be a nightmare to enforce.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
I can't see how cross-game trading creates a level playing field at all, but it's impossible to police, and rules are only as good as they are possible to enforce.

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

Jagex heavily tracks data, which is how they can (claim to) track gold as it funnels through several mule accounts and eventually to the seller and then the buyer. I'm sure they could set up an algorithm to send up a flag when player A trades player B a heavy amount of stuff in one game and then Player B does the same in the other. Then again, Jagex has always been kinda soft on trust trades.
Posted Image

Posted Image

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts

It doesn't have to be enforced heavily to stop the worst of the problem, just making it technically bannable will put off a lot of people, and will stop the top highscore spots going to them.
Posted Image
old sig

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
If it's anything like the rule against macroing/RWT, it probably won't do anything about the problem. I had quite a few high level friends that were very open about their botting/RWTing before Jagex started their crusade against it, mostly because they knew that they wouldn't be banned unless they were stupid about it.

Jagex heavily tracks data, which is how they can (claim to) track gold as it funnels through several mule accounts and eventually to the seller and then the buyer. I'm sure they could set up an algorithm to send up a flag when player A trades player B a heavy amount of stuff in one game and then Player B does the same in the other. Then again, Jagex has always been kinda soft on trust trades.

I'm wondering about how that would work for legitimate players though. Say, Friend A returns from a three year hiatus, starts a 2007 account, and is given a healthy amount of items by Friend B who's already established on the server. A while later, Friend A logs back into his 2013Scape account and gifts Friend B with a lot of his old items, because A doesn't like EoC and he's going to stick to 2007 exclusively.

Granted, that sort of thing is probably as rare as legitimate examples of "I didn't RWT, I gave him a gift of 20B ingame GP and, by coincidence, he gave me an amount of real would money that's very close to how much I would get if I sold it to gold sellers (Which I didn't)". We'll see how it goes.

gypsyeater
[ Display Name History ]

gypsyeater

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 234 posts
I guess it couldve been one of the things they looked into if they got 500k or 750k votes. I guess it would take quite a bit of money/ effort to enforce, which is probably why it isnt going to happen.

Flareboy64
[ Display Name History ]

Flareboy64

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:OMG CHURRO
To put it simply, yes I think so.

Vinyl DjPon3
[ Display Name History ]

Vinyl DjPon3

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 194 posts
It should be against the rules

I consider the two games as being 2 different accounts, and one of Jagex's rules is your accounts should not interact in any way.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stupid Should Hurt

high as a
[ Display Name History ]

high as a

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
The thing is it's always been around but in other games. This is effectively two different games. I've known people who have quit and picked up WoW but traded their rs gold for WoW gold with people. Yeah that's probably against the rules but is still the same concept. Hard to police and has always happened through RuneScape, just with different games.

Artemis1330
[ Display Name History ]

Artemis1330

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • RSN:Rufioso
  • RSN '07:Rufio 07
I am only posting this as he is my friend, and I'll defend him. Paulrat3 (paulrat07) has not bought any 2007 gp with eoc gp for his #1 craft rank. I cannot speak for other top buyables, but to assume everyone top ranked bought gp is naive. It is very easy to make gp in 2007 servers, especially with high skills.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

Granted, that sort of thing is probably as rare as legitimate examples of "I didn't RWT, I gave him a gift of 20B ingame GP and, by coincidence, he gave me an amount of real would money that's very close to how much I would get if I sold it to gold sellers (Which I didn't)". We'll see how it goes.

That is rare, and about as believable as "No, officer, I wasn't selling that man drugs. We're good friends so I gave him cocaine as a gift and he gave me a hundred bucks for my birthday that he missed last month."
Posted Image

Posted Image

Rock Hard
[ Display Name History ]

Rock Hard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  • RSN:Rock Hard
  • RSN2:Rock s Hard
Honestly I don't really care - I don't give a shit about high scores or firsts or other peoples achievements in general.

I just play a game and hit monsters and people and stuff. It's fun, you should try it. ;)
'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Posted Image

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts

Honestly I don't really care - I don't give a shit about high scores or firsts or other peoples achievements in general.

I just play a game and hit monsters and people and stuff. It's fun, you should try it. ;)

just because you don't care about the competitive side of the game doesn't mean no one else does.
Why even have highscores by your logic...
Posted Image
old sig

Nabbagad
[ Display Name History ]

Nabbagad

Retired TET Leader

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Nabbagad
Yeah I hate it, but I can completely understand that it really is too hard to enforce a rule like that.

And from what Artemis was saying, it also sucks because people who manage to be completely successful just in OSRS will look like they eoc trade.

All we can really do is discourage it and try to ignore it.

I wish Jagex didn't openly say it was acceptable, in the Q&A they should have been a bit more vague and highly discouraged it.

The thing is it's always been around but in other games. This is effectively two different games. I've known people who have quit and picked up WoW but traded their rs gold for WoW gold with people. Yeah that's probably against the rules but is still the same concept. Hard to police and has always happened through RuneScape, just with different games.

While I'm sure it did happen in the past with other games, it didn't happen anywhere near the scale of this.
Posted Image
My 99s (7)

Artemis1330
[ Display Name History ]

Artemis1330

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • RSN:Rufioso
  • RSN '07:Rufio 07
Well, personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I myself bought some 2007 gp at the start so I didnt have to scrape around to get started. The whole idea of a "fresh start" is player made, and not all players care about having a fresh start. Not all players care about seperation of servers. Some do, some don't. That does not make server to server trading evil, just because YOU do not like it. It's absolutely not rwt. You also need to be able to make gp on one of the servers, which is still runescape. It may not techically be the same game, but it's all runescape in the end.

I do, however, understand where people are coming from that do not like it. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with it.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
From a philosophical standpoint I'm for it. Personally, I wouldn't do it since I value my DIY'er aspect of 07 scape. Bannable? No. Too hard to track/enforce.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Winarr
[ Display Name History ]

Winarr

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • RSN:Winarr
  • RSN2:X Winnar X
Honestly if they are going to allow this they should've just restored players to what they had at server snapshot. Allowing this to happen just hurts the people who stopped playing in 07+ and have come back for ORS; which should be the target audience for jagex.

More importantly though, it opens the floodgates for people who rwt/dice/phish accounts to get an insurmountable lead and turn around and rwt again effictively doubling (easily) the value of their goods.
Posted Image

Rjk
[ Display Name History ]

Rjk

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • RSN '07:Rjk
Yes.

Estoc
[ Display Name History ]

Estoc

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • RSN:Estoc
Don't care as long as the exchange rate means it will take the same amount of time to make 07 gp by playing eoc as just straight playing 07. I don't want to be forced to trade eoc gold just to compete in 07.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users