Silver Feedback (June)

Daviddts

Hello Everyone!

I'm a Player Moderator of RuneScape, and I'm looking to do a monthly 'gathering' session with the fansite community, to get a general consensus of Player Moderator in the RuneScape community. It should be acknowledged this is not an official Jagex hosted initiative/post. However, I do plan to relay the feedback to other Player Moderators as well. ^_^ I will be compiling all responses from this thread into a monthly report-type style, and then presenting it to others.

Information I'm looking for is pretty much anything around the Player Moderator role, not so much questions but constructive criticism/critique. Some examples are below:

• How do you think the Player Moderator team could be improved?
  • What would you like to see Player Moderators doing more of? (Events, Competitions, Q&A's, ect.)
  • Do you agree with the current Player Moderator's role in the community? (Explain)
  • Are there any current issue's in the community you feel Player Moderators should be addressing?
  • Any other thoughts on Player Moderators?

I look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts/opinions on this topic, and it doesn't have to be limited to the above, I want this to be an open discussion thread to get the actual thoughts/feelings from the community on Player Moderators. If you have any questions about Player Moderators, I ask you don't post them here -- but you're welcomed to message me here, or in-game -- I'd like to keep this thread collective feedback only so it's easier to compile the information. I appreciate your time in reading this!

Thanks,

Daviddts :grin:

How do you think the Player Moderator team could be improved?

Eliminate the redundancy of the Player Moderator role by eliminating the role of the Player Moderator entirely.

What would you like to see Player Moderators doing more of? (Events, Competitions, Q&A's, ect.)

Oh - I don't know - how about a mass resignation? |^_^|

Do you agree with the current Player Moderator's role in the community? (Explain)

No. The Player Moderator is a redundant role in today's Runescape. They have little or no function whatsoever, at the present time, and what little functionality they do have, they're generally handcuffed and unable to perform it. It's time for Jagex to simply eliminate the role altogether.

Are there any current issue's in the community you feel Player Moderators should be addressing?

None. Any of the roles they once performed are no longer relevant.

Any other thoughts on Player Moderators?

I think I've pretty much summed it up.

Thanks for asking. Have a lovely day! :D

• Like 19

nyuseg.png

Care to go into a bit more detail? As helpful as "useless" and "redundant" are, they don't really help us improve. |^_^|

The Player Moderator role was, as I recall, originally established by Jagex to operate as a sort of policing force. As such, they were given powers to report and, as necessary, mute or otherwise discipline other players who transgressed the rules in the game.

That said, since the “rules” of the game have changed dramatically since the initial institution of the Player Moderator role, and the Player Moderator has become pretty much useless as a result. It’s just a “status” now, not a function.

And please don’t try and tell me that Player Moderators are “knowledgeable about the game” and/or “are there to help other players” because that’s totally bogus.

First of all, I can name hundreds of regular players with far more intricate knowledge about the game than any other player moderator I’ve ever met – and there’s hundreds of fan sites out there with information on how to play and/or skill in the game now.

• Like 1

nyuseg.png

I agree with Biyaunte on this one.

The role of the Pmod is almost entirely redundant as they are handcuffed in very limiting ways on what they can do with their powers and the few cases they CAN act in are often covered by the automute system anyway. More often than seeing them doing any good they simply exist or spawn rants/reports of BS mutings. And all in all it seems like a biased and flawed system in that the primary way to become a pmod now is via a pmod recommending you in their little forum.

As for running events and stuff in the community, why? We have event teams in clans and fansites for that purpose, plus jagex hosted events. I'm not gonna turn up and go GWD with you just because you have some grey pixels with your name. It just sounds like a vague attempt to build up a next to nothing status into an actual job by doing something that RSers in general like but in a weird an awkward format of some random pmod doing stuff opposed to a team or clan that has earned the status to do so.

It's beyond time Jagex put the whole system to bed and rid of us a largely redundant player class that only exemplifies a nepotistic means of perpetuating itself and a meaningless 'job' that is far to tarred with the rants of false mutes and the noobs acting like lap dogs at the beck and call of their friends to show off; plus functionally they do almost nothing for rule enforcement as automated systems get there faster and with better accuracy.

Also god yes on pmods not being a source of info. I have several in my clan and I run rings around them on lore info and general factoids and I've seen far too many pmods insisting things like how they started playing in 98 or 00 among all sorts of other nonsense, that isn't just wrong it's not even feasible.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Player Mods haven't been Moderator's for years. Ever since Jagex started recruiting people who were 'part of the community', all they've ended up with is players who run their own events and competitions.

That's fine, but it's not what a Moderator is supposed to do. I blame entirely Jagex's retarded recruiting system.

• Like 1
Sylpheed.png

Alright, that's a better answer. :razz:

Food for thought: could the role be saved if Jagex were willing to make some serious changes?

Can you foresee some meaningful role for Player Moderators, other than that of status symbol? I can't.

nyuseg.png

Just remove them. I've experienced first hand the extent of the corruption that existed. For example David, unless the number of pmods has dramatically risen, there is at least a 1 in 4 chance that a member of my old gambling clan paid you for mutes at some point.

Asmodean <3

As pmods are no longer the mute machines they used to be back in the day, they are pretty much useless.

You don't need a silver crown and mutestick to be "community leaders" or whatever Jagex wants you to be nowadays.

Blyaunte pretty much summed up my thoughts.

(this is coming from ex-pmod 2006-2013)

Care to go into a bit more detail? As helpful as "useless" and "redundant" are, they don't really say anything. |^_^|

I think Alg feels attacked o.O

Oh and at @Blyante:

Not everyone is aware of fan-sites that provide excellent information. So they could still serve some purpose here. I encounter people daily who ask this or that, and I help them mostly because I know the information out of my head

Well here is my opinion:

How do you think the Player Moderator team could be improved?

For one, I think they should expand the amount of Player Moderators. I see far too few of them outside of crowded places like Deamonheim or Grand Exchange. Weren't they planning on expanding the Player Moderator team by another 8,000 people? Further on, I think their original role is now made near obsolete due BotWatch, however there are still a lot of situations where a player should be muted, as that is the only thing a player moderator can do, and it's frustrating that there is no Player Moderator nearby who could act on it.

I would like to explore a new division of Player Moderators, one that we currently have, that is their original purpose helping people around and reporting obvious bugs directly with Jagex Moderators but also dealing with Bots, Scammers and Spammers, and one that Jagex is now aiming to achieve; Community Player Moderators. The idea is nice, but it ends up that those people who are the most famous or infamous (watching you woox ;D!) gets asked to be a Player Moderator. Ofcourse this is not always the case.

What would you like to see Player Moderators doing more of? (Events, Competitions, Q&A's, ect.)

I do think that Player Moderators should get back to their original purpose which is helping players around.

Do you agree with the current Player Moderator's role in the community? (Explain)

I believe Player Moderators could serve a function as an intermediary between Jagex and the Community.

Are there any current issue's in the community you feel Player Moderators should be addressing?

Not that I am aware of, there will always be bogus stuff. After the Gambling situation nothing else so far has cropped up that annoyed me and, so far that I could notice, others.

Any other thoughts on Player Moderators?

Well not really, but I care to admit that since the first day I encountered a Player Moderator back when I started, I always wanted to become a Player Moderator so I could help people out more easily or act there when needed. From my experience there are few Player Moderators who've really picked up their role and as such didn't really prevent quite a bit of the disruption they could prevent. It might be a bit idealistic however...

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Hard not to feel attacked whenever this topic comes up. I'd honestly take the Pmod forums over Tip.It any day, and based on the little I've seen of the HLF, I'm genuinely offended that Jagex thinks they're a better source of information than we are. They don't deserve the shit you guys put them through (Even if I do, as an individual. I'm not corrupt, but I'm far from a model mod).

Can you foresee some meaningful role for Player Moderators, other than that of status symbol? I can't.

I liked it when we could mute rulebreakers, but Jagex would prefer to do that themselves. :razz:

I'd think the real problem is that Jagex can't decide what to do with the role. They started it to enforce the rules, then wouldn't let them enforce the rules. Then they wanted community leaders, but stopped doing community events after like a week. But they can't give them the powers to do any of the jobs they give them because they might abuse them, but ignore the mods that abuse their powers. Now, I get the feeling tha they can't decide if they want to get rid of them or not, so they're just ignoring them.

As usual, Jagex doesn't do half the job and half-asses the rest. I like the role (And not for the status), but Jagex seems to be going out of their way to mismanage it. <_<

• Like 2

Food for thought: could the role be saved if Jagex were willing to make some serious changes?

I see one: as an intermediator between the community and Jagex for faster and more precise communication. Sometimes we are left in oblivion about something only to be responded on sometimes months later.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I see one: as an intermediator between the community and Jagex for faster and more precise communication. Sometimes we are left in oblivion about something only to be responded on sometimes months later.

Which is what they advertised the role as from 2008 on, naturally without giving us any tools or instruction on how to do the job. :wall:

Hard not to feel attacked whenever this topic comes up. I'd honestly take the Pmod forums over Tip.It any day, and based on the little I've seen of the HLF, I'm genuinely offended that Jagex thinks they're a better source of information than we are. They don't deserve the shit you guys put them through (Even if I do, as an individual. I'm not corrupt, but I'm far from a model mod).

I liked it when we could mute rulebreakers, but Jagex would prefer to do that themselves. :razz:

I'd think the real problem is that Jagex can't decide what to do with the role. They started it to enforce the rules, then wouldn't let them enforce the rules. Then they wanted community leaders, but stopped doing community events after like a week. But they can't give them the powers to do any of the jobs they give them because they might abuse them, but ignore the mods that abuse their powers. Now, I get the feeling tha they can't decide if they want to get rid of them or not, so they're just ignoring them.

As usual, Jagex doesn't do half the job and half-asses the rest. I like the role (And not for the status), but Jagex seems to be going out of their way to mismanage it. <_<

Alg - I love ya - so don't feel threatened from me on a personal level. You have my respect both as a person and player. This isn't about you.

Thing is that, in addition to the redundancy of the role of Player Moderator, it's also a thankless task.

That said - other than the "status" it gives you, do you honestly think that there's anything more that you contribute to the game at this time than, say, any other knowledgeable and friendly player who helps out in-game?

Yeahhhhhh - no. They don't listen to the Player Moderators any more than they listen to the MAX players -- or any other player with a good idea or good intentions, for that matter.

I mean, really, when was the last time that Jagex “listened to the players” and then followed that up with genuinely useful content that was little more than a total FUBAR of the original issue?

nyuseg.png

Alg, I don't know you but I do know several p mods. They are great people, including my clan leader, I have great respect for them as people. However, for the role of p mods I find that many in the community has no respect for them anymore, if they ever did. The role itself is redundant, and pretty well useless. Its been useless for years and I think Jagex realized that when they tried to push p mods towards being community leaders, but that didn't help anything.

Also, when you attack the HLF as unknowledgeable based upon what little you've seen I feel like you've misunderstood what you've seen. What you have in the HLF is a bunch of very knowledgeable trolls. Yes, you get a bunch of terrible, useless, annoying posts (usually from the same handful of names) but there are also a lot of pretty good ideas coming from the forum, it just needs to be sorted correctly. Might p mods be a decent sort of info to Jagex, maybe, but I have no first hand knowledge there.

Ultimately I feel that any role p mods could take on now is better filled by Jagex themselves, the only role they could currently have is muting those gold seller bots that randomlyy pm people, but then I hear that many p mods keep their private chats off so idk. As far as acting as a go-between for Jagex and the players I am firmly against it, Jageex needs to communicate with the players more directly instead of using go-betweens. They need to hire people to read every forum thread and pass on the good ideas, because this go-between stuff no matter which group of players it is leaves everyone bitter.

Sorry, I think I kind of put responses to the whole post in a post directed at one person but oh well. Thats my take on p mods, They're not useless people but the group designation is useless.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Yeahhhhhh - no. They don't listen to the Player Moderators any more than they listen to the MAX players -- or any other player with a good idea or good intentions, for that matter.

I mean, really, when was the last time that Jagex “listened to the players” and then followed that up with genuinely useful content that was little more than a total FUBAR of the original issue?

32wJv.jpg

Numerous changes have actually been brought into the game on this thread and Chris L explains the reasoning behind stuff every week or two. I mean, I have very negative opinions of Jagex as a whole, but credit where credit's due.

Here's some of the stuff that he changed after listening to player feedback.

32wOi.png

So there's at least one half decent JMod :P

Asmodean <3

HLF General is nothing serious, and is probably what you've seen. HLF Feedback is where all the actually good and useful discussion is.

• Like 1

Asmodean <3

My only desire is for more PMods to be put into the game. It seems like they're "useless" because there just isn't that many compared to "normal" players.

Otherwise, all the PMods I know are good people and good role models, not always the best, but serviceable for there overall purpose. Just wish more people had the chance of becoming one, as well as more abilities and defined paths they should follow.

Something mentioned a lot here is how little P-Mods do now muting wise, which I think should be clarified that for the past few years we were muting pretty much nothing, but slowly it's been changing. Of course, you're not going to see full out muting like in the past for things like saying little things, but I think major issues will resume being tackled, we can already see how gambling was cleared. The P-Mod role changing has been really hidden, and a lot of what's going on isn't being announced publically, which is something I think may be important. From my prospective, P-Mods are currently moving to a "balance" between community engagements and rule enforcing. Jagex doesn't want a player controlling others, they want players taking out situations that could lead to harm, or heavy disruption, but also players who care for the community and will not mis-use their power.

Of course, that's from my VP. I will read all other things when I get time, I've read over most post so far. I thank all of oyu for taking the time to contribute!:)

Something mentioned a lot here is how little P-Mods do now muting wise, which I think should be clarified that for the past few years we were muting pretty much nothing, but slowly it's been changing. Of course, you're not going to see full out muting like in the past for things like saying little things, but I think major issues will resume being tackled, we can already see how gambling was cleared. The P-Mod role changing has been really hidden, and a lot of what's going on isn't being announced publically, which is something I think may be important. From my prospective, P-Mods are currently moving to a "balance" between community engagements and rule enforcing. Jagex doesn't want a player controlling others, they want players taking out situations that could lead to harm, or heavy disruption, but also players who care for the community and will not mis-use their power.

Of course, that's from my VP. I will read all other things when I get time, I've read over most post so far. I thank all of oyu for taking the time to contribute! :)

You guys didn't even mute spambots when they flooded every world. You guys have always been useless.

For one, I think they should expand the amount of Player Moderators. I see far too few of them outside of crowded places like Deamonheim or Grand Exchange. Weren't they planning on expanding the Player Moderator team by another 8,000 people? Further on, I think their original role is now made near obsolete due BotWatch, however there are still a lot of situations where a player should be muted, as that is the only thing a player moderator can do, and it's frustrating that there is no Player Moderator nearby who could act on it.

I would like to explore a new division of Player Moderators, one that we currently have, that is their original purpose helping people around and reporting obvious bugs directly with Jagex Moderators but also dealing with Bots, Scammers and Spammers, and one that Jagex is now aiming to achieve; Community Player Moderators. The idea is nice, but it ends up that those people who are the most famous or infamous (watching you woox ;D!) gets asked to be a Player Moderator. Ofcourse this is not always the case.

Expand the team to another 8000? Are you suggesting we transform Runescape into a police state?

Expanding and allocating more power to an organisation that is already partly corrupt would be ruinous to the Runescape community. Player moderators should have never existed in the first place. Regular players should not be given the power to mute other players. It's a system that assumes that every single player moderator won't abuse his power at some point in time. Considering the number of player moderators who are frequently paid off to mute certain individuals that big-boss chatroom leaders don't like, I'd say the system has failed. I tense up when I see a player moderator at the Grand Exchange, because I know that's where they usually do their dirty business. Why should I have to be terrified of my fellow players in a safe zone?

I know the grand majority of player moderators are very nice, non-corrupt people. But the system just isn't worth it when you have even a few dozen who abuse their powers on a regular basis.

Scrap it entirely. I don't care if you value justice more than your average player, you're still human and you still make mistakes like every non-Pmod player. Denying that fact is ignorance on your part. Let the developers control the justice system in their own game.

1; Let them lose their Pmodship if powers are abused; i've had two mutes thusfar (I rarely speak in public chat) which I had to appeal and there was no censucitive proof for but at both times a Pmod was there.

2. Dealing with bots & scammers, spammers.

3. ^do your job.

4. Bots

5. see 1

I agree with the above poster, power corrupts, keep it out of player hands not to say that there aren't genuine, honest Pmods.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I've met only one corrupt PMod in my time, and that was in my clan. He muted me for asking about another chat, which was quickly reversed by Jagex. While there roles are much different from when I started, they often still do serve a purpose. I just know a lot of people who would make great mods who never get the chance. I myself always help when I can, and always have. I think that this "thankless job," would be much better served with a wider, more responsive group of people. It's hard to not feel as if the PMods nowadays are useless and cold when there is a maximum of 2 or 3 per world. That number can't field every question, complaint, and request people have.