22-Jul-2013 - RuneScape 3!

SwreeTak

It would very very easy to implement a way to run a check if players logged over 24 hours in the beta and reward an item if te check says yes. Another more interesting option would be to take xp eared from point A to point B, divide it by 10 and say that is your bonus xp limit.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

It would very very easy to implement a way to run a check if players logged over 24 hours in the beta and reward an item if te check says yes. Another more interesting option would be to take xp eared from point A to point B, divide it by 10 and say that is your bonus xp limit.

Except you do not gain any XP while designing the UI, only some while testing.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

Yep, better get beta testing after you spend a couple hours fine tuning your setup.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yep, better get beta testing after you spend a couple hours fine tuning your setup.

Ah, sarcasm.

Yeah, some people do not mind the UI and/or interruptions to whatever they are doing. Building an UI for an activity is a one-time process, that's why people like me want to make the most of what NIS can offer, despite it's extraordinary limitations to what can be done.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

Any chance RS3 will increase all skill maxes to 120? Seems like a no-brainer to me, to give most every player something to shoot for. I think the game would get old fast for those of us who would start it already near max.

NO

They have said a million times over there is NO plans to up the skill cap to 120 for ANYTHING other than dg.

And what does it matter if you start near max or not? It's the same game, just with a new back engine. It's not like its gonna give some amazing new experience that fundamentally alters how dragon slayer plays or how fishing is to training. Just a better back engine with slightly better graphics if you can run html5.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Skills won't go to 120 any time soon. First there's no content and second that's a lot of grind. Don't forget 99 > 120 is 8x the xp. Currently there is one person with virtual 3000 total, there are 26 people with enough total xp to be maxed at 120 in every skill (if they could redistribute their xp), versus about 6500 at 2496 and lots more at 2475, but that's harder to check with dg in there. Most people with 2.6b+ xp have xp in fast and afk skills, not in skills like agility as well. Sure, if there were 120 skills more people would go for them, but the current rankings and xp rates suggest max total would be a matter of a few hundred people total, if that. I'm sure some people like that kind of elite requirement, but to me skills seem to basic to make unattainable for the average/median player.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Jagex could raise one skill to 120 every month/2 months/half year adding new content to 99-120 gap.

Grind? Isn't this game named: GrindScape?

If you want to grind more and get e-penis in the process, get the cape in my signature. if you want to grind anyways, get 200m skills.

• Like 2

A lot of people don't seem to want to confront the fact that maxing isn't much more than a mediocre achievement in RS, something that thousands and thousands of other players can achieve. I miss the days when the size of one's e-penis competing on the hiscores was based on who had the highest total level, not who had more xp.

How much work would it take for a JMod to change a few numbers and set the skill cap to 120? They don't need new content for those levels. There is no useful content in most skills after level 90 anyway. It would literally take less than 6 man hours.

It's unfair to modern players that the greatest recognizable skilling achievement is so diminished compared to how it used to be. Just gaining xp doesn't give you actual levels in game - it's not the same.

Asmodean <3

Yep honestly maxing isn't anything. You don't even have to be all "xp-waste" cult follower or anything. You jut need to be resourceful in knowing what's going to pull you in money for other areas when you need it. Or what might be worth doing for the sheer xp in the skill.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yep honestly maxing isn't anything. You don't even have to be all "xp-waste" cult follower or anything. You jut need to be resourceful in knowing what's going to pull you in money for other areas when you need it. Or what might be worth doing for the sheer xp in the skill.

Not anything? It takes thousands of hours of gameplay.

How much work would it take for a JMod to change a few numbers and set the skill cap to 120? They don't need new content for those levels. There is no useful content in most skills after level 90 anyway. It would literally take less than 6 man hours.

What is the difference with the system we have now, where you can go for 200m xp in a skill if it's just a cosmetic number anyways?

Theres no need to up skillcaps aimlessly to allow hiscore competition.

First and foremost it would only be a short term bandaid to the issue, secondly you may say 'there's no need for content' but there IS a need for levels to have some content. That's why Jagex are purposefully filling in the gaps and most skills do now have some stuff right through to 99.

And most importantly of all, if you had bothered to watch the video and stay up to date with things, they are adding SEASONAL HISCORES which count ONLY for a limited time period specifically so people can compete to be on the top of the hiscores without the hinderance of it being perma locked to those who got there first. This change is a permanent fix to the competing for hiscore without aimlessly throwing extra levels at people.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Oh no I made an overly simplistic comment and someone took it as such lol.

This is a pretty annoying thing to post. Maybe you should make only serious, well-reasoned and sarcasm-free comments from now on.

@Fallstar: I don't think it'd be much fun to go from 99s to 120s. It'd be better to revamp the whole skilling system. Remove the very high xp rates for buyables & combat (say 300k/h max for buyables, 150k/h max for combat?) and remove the very low xp rates for non-profitable skills or add profit (agility). I have no problem with making maxing a bit slower, but it shouldn't be several times longer than it is now.

Lower xp rates combined with more (high-level) quest rewards would be nice, as quest xp rewards are hardly relevant past level 80-85. Something like 4x300k xp in stats over 90, for example, for a tough quest.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The seasonal hiscores are just that - seasonal. I personally am not too bothered about who got the most xp in X month of Y year. I want there to be some competition for levels in the real, permanent hiscores.

And most importantly of all, if you had bothered to watch the video and stay up to date with things, they are adding SEASONAL HISCORES which count ONLY for a limited time period specifically so people can compete to be on the top of the hiscores without the hinderance of it being perma locked to those who got there first. This change is a permanent fix to the competing for hiscore without aimlessly throwing extra levels at people.

I did watch the video, but my above comment. What lead you to think that I had not seen it, I have no idea.

I'll also be very surprised if the seasonal hiscores are as functionally and aesthetically capable as the runetracker top 42, especially with the custom group tracking they added.

Asmodean <3

I was being literal with a slight of humor. Sometimes posting isn't worth it because tone and context are such hard things to read in text. I am a fairly reasonable and respectful person, but god forbid being human.

Edit: typo.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

What is the difference with the system we have now, where you can go for 200m xp in a skill if it's just a cosmetic number anyways?

In almost every skill (except dg and summ) there is 0 difference between level 98 and 99. This is just an extension of that to allow for modern xp rates and the fact that there is now a very high concentration of maxed players. Levelling up is just more fun than gaining arbitrary sums of xp. It provides mini milestones (you see people going for 80+ all skills. Not for whatever the exact xp 80 is at.)

The rate of increase of the number of maxed players is accelerating quickly. Skilling is a large part of the game, and Jagex will eventually fill in the gaps in content towards 99. They will not simply abandon skilling then. Skills that level beyond 99 are inevitable.

Even if not for good reason. As cynical as it might sound, the most popular SoF promotions are those based around xp. Individual players spent hundreds, in some cases thousands, on the slayer promotion (the one that was so popular they extended it to a week, and are bringing back again in the near future.) No doubt each SoF promotion is analysed in depth by the people in charge of monetizing RS. Skills going to 120 would significantly increase the amount people who spin2win have to pay to max, and for that reason alone I have no doubt skills will go to 120 in the not so distant future.

Asmodean <3

The seasonal hiscores are just that - seasonal. I personally am not too bothered about who got the most xp in X month of Y year. I want there to be some competition for levels in the real, permanent hiscores.

That is the dumbest reasoning ever.

Even if they DID up the limit on skills it'd only be a short term fix, how long is the level based competition going to last?

What are you going to do when it starts filling up with maxed people once more?

It's absurd to randomly up skill caps just to create some hiscore movement in the top end which will easily die out once more as people re-hit max; it doesn't achieve anything in the long run, people are already placed by xp so most of the top end wouldn't move too dramatically in ordering.

I mean are you suggesting skills keep going up and up and up just to artificially create competition over meaningless numbers?

Seasonal hiscores is the logical way forward, runetracker and all these other sites that offer such hiscores flourish precisely because of it. There is no good reason to arbitraily raise skill caps and effectively punish people coming later to the game by making max much much further away for no good reason just to create a few months of 'competition' which would consist of little more than the existing top players crawling back up to max level with very minor reshufflings of ranks.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

You would still max at all 99s. 'Max' already means something other than the actual maximum skill total.

It is obviously a temporary solution. But it would last for a long time. Even someone playing for 12-15 hours a day would not be able to reach 120 in every skill for over a year. I.e. there would be a goal in RS with a degree of prestige associated with it - something that not everyone can achieve.

Seasonal hiscores have different aims to the permanent hiscores. The introduction of seasonal hiscores does nothing to fix the issues in the permanent ones. People do not attach the same importance to them, as they are by definition transient and do not have any permanent meaning. Even on sites like Runetracker. I look at the top 42 and think "Cool, player X nolifed a lot this month." After that month is gone, so is any record of his achievement - unless he achieved something that was not just seasonal and actually obtained a permanent record.

As for continually increasing skill caps, there would be no need to, due to the exponential formula for xp between levels. It would take several years, most likely the better part of a decade, for us to reach the same situation we have currently have with a 120 skill cap. If RS is still around by then, it would be equally as trivial to raise skill caps a few levels higher. (A few levels is all that would be needed due to the exponential increases).

The effort:benefit ratio of increasing xp caps is very low, so even if the fix does need to be reapplied every few years, it is no big deal.

Asmodean <3

I was being literal with a slight of humor. Sometimes posting isn't worth it because tone and context are such hard things to read in text. I am a fairly reasonable and respectful person, but god forbid being human.

Edit: typo.

Next time try these:

f9k4fp.jpg

• Like 2

nyuseg.png

No big deal unless you are a newer player not already max who just got several years of play time added on to a goal that already requires many years.

It just seems entirely pointless and unfair to up level caps for the sake of maxed players to try and grow some e-peen at the cost of making 'finishing' the game implausible for lower levels.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

When I was a new player the concept of maxing did not even enter my head. I was too busy having fun pking and questing. The mindset of a new player is completely different to an experienced one.

I fail to see how a player would be put off playing because high level skilling exists.

Asmodean <3