25-September-2013 - Runescape Bonds

Drazhor

More important than the straight number of bonds sold, though, is what the bonds are redeemed for. After all, bonds redeemed for membership for existing members simply changed whose paying for membership, that's not a new income for JaGeX at all. It might mean JaGeX gets paid earlier, but their overall income stays the same. Only the portion of membership bonds that converts free players to members actually translates to actual new revenue.

...except membership purchased through bonds is 25% more expensive. (Everything purchased with a bond is at least 25% more expensive)

As I detalied in an earlier post, it's about $1 extra revenue per bond to Jagex. So using your figures, it's straight off the bat an extra $60-80k extra profit to Jagex, excluding the other aspect of conversion of non-buyers into buyers.

LgEZt.png

More important than the straight number of bonds sold, though, is what the bonds are redeemed for. After all, bonds redeemed for membership for existing members simply changed whose paying for membership, that's not a new income for JaGeX at all. It might mean JaGeX gets paid earlier, but their overall income stays the same. Only the portion of membership bonds that converts free players to members actually translates to actual new revenue.

...except membership purchased through bonds is 25% more expensive. (Everything purchased with a bond is at least 25% more expensive)

As I detalied in an earlier post, it's about $1 extra revenue per bond to Jagex. So using your figures, it's straight off the bat an extra $60-80k extra profit to Jagex, excluding the other aspect of conversion of non-buyers into buyers.

We can't say that with certainty though.

I mean look at the existing disparity between payment method on costing. Equally the disparity in payment length and the cost.

Logic would say that there are admin fees and taxes involved in processing any singular payment. 1 fee/tax per transaction means smaller payments have to be proportionally higher to cover the fees.

The price discrepancy we see is likely mostly due to these factors and any left over extra profit margin can probably be largely written off in server/maintenance costs of running the new system.

If there is any extra profit in the bonds vs normal membs etc I'd be surprised if it was more than a few pence all told per bond.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I mean look at the existing disparity between payment method on costing. Equally the disparity in payment length and the cost.

Logic would say that there are admin fees and taxes involved in processing any singular payment. 1 fee/tax per transaction means smaller payments have to be proportionally higher to cover the fees.

The price discrepancy we see is likely mostly due to these factors and any left over extra profit margin can probably be largely written off in server/maintenance costs of running the new system.

If there is any extra profit in the bonds vs normal membs etc I'd be surprised if it was more than a few pence all told per bond.

I disagree with a few of the things mentioned, I'll try and reply more fully later. Fundamentally though, that argument is based on people purchasing individual bonds, which may primarily be true, but in the long run it's questionable.

LgEZt.png

I disagree with a few of the things mentioned, I'll try and reply more fully later. Fundamentally though, that argument is based on people purchasing individual bonds, which may primarily be true, but in the long run it's questionable.

It's an argument based on the kind of charges and taxes levied that would minimise the profit margin per bond in refute of the idea that they are making $1 pure profit per bond compared to other direct purchases.

However you scale it up the same levies are in place and the same profit margin exists, it doesn't matter if it is applied to one bond or 1000.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Has anyone read the bonds page? I had to laugh at every one of the stories underneath "What Are The Benefits?"

Protects Players

Prevent hijacking and DDoS attacks

Hi, I am Tom and I searched the web for ways to make gold. I downloaded Powerbot and it installed a malware on my computer. My RuneScape account, Facebook, Twitter and email were all hacked and my bank account has been completely wiped out.

Oh you, Jagex.

New Players

Gives a helping hand to new players wanting to progress

Hi, my name is Sam and I have been playing RuneScape for 6 months now. I love training combat, but some better equipment and armour would really help me. I want to buy Bonds and swap them for some Ganodermic armour. I now might finally be able to join my friends on a Nex run!

While Gold Farmers

Get hit where it hurts!

Hi, I am a8jk13tjkp and I am a corrupt Gold Farmer. I’ve scammed, hijacked, DDoSed and defrauded millions of RuneScape players over the years. Now that players can trade Bonds with each other in exchange for any in game resources, my business is completely screwed!

Protects Players

From real world fraud

Hi, I am Katie and I’m embarrassed to admit it but I bought gold from a gold farming site. The website re-used my parent’s credit card details and racked up thousands of dollars in fraudulent online purchases. They contacted the police but were told there was nothing they could do to help as the website is based in China. The bloody website is still running! If Bonds had existed a few months ago I would never have have tried anything like this.

• Like 1

09144a99bb.png

Protects Players Credit Card Companies 

From real world fraud

Hi, I am Katie and I’m embarrassed to admit it but I bought gold from a gold farming site. The website re-used my parent’s credit card details and racked up thousands of dollars in fraudulent online purchases. They contacted the police but were told there was nothing they could do to help as the website is based in China. The bloody website is still running! If Bonds had existed a few months ago I would never have have tried anything like this.

Fixed that for them.

Although I don't think any big name gold farmers would commit fraud, way more to be gained from running a legit business then a business that is quickly identified as fraudulent. 

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I loled at them when I first saw them my thoughts were:

Tom - Fails at googling and/or is a liar, ignoring the paid ads that always tend to be filled with annoying crud the top money making results are like all proper guides and videos on money making. Either you are so bad at searching you missed all these to find a bot or you are a liar and you were intentionally searching for a way to shortcut the system. He also needs to learn better internet security, repeat passwords and no AV to stomp malware? Rookie boy.

Sam - Sam is just going to die and rage quit. If his friends are telling him he can do Nex with Ganodermic when the guy can't even make the gp to get it (I mean seriously few hundred k can be done in an hour or 2 with 0 skills) they are utter trolls.

Katie - Girl needs to put down daddies credit card and get herself a job. Also parents seem utterly useless. firstly you let your kid steal ur credit card? gold star parenting there! Plus really phoning the police over card fraud? Phone yer bank, we all know there ain't jack the police can do, but the bank can cancel the card and clear debt from ya.

As for a8jk13tjkp - hot dam you can talk and hold real conversations whilst performing multiple different forms of activities. YOU SURPASSED YOUR CODING YOU ARE NOW FREE. Terminator in the making, all I'm saying.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It would have been really funny if at the end of a8jk13tjkp's, they'd put, "ty1234567890ty".

But like Aiel said, I don't think any major site would lower themselves to fraud. I know dozens and dozens of people who've RWTed over various sites and not a single one had been scammed, hacked, DDoSed (lolreally, Jagex?), or lost their credit information. They might be a business of running bots and buying and selling gold, but they're a business. Their reputation affects their sales.

09144a99bb.png

This weeks Tip.it Times is all Bond-themed...

And its not James ;)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!